BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-24-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
gatorfast
Colonel
gatorfast's Avatar
33
Rep
2,675
Posts

 
Drives: MR E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SoFla

iTrader: (3)

Looking for a lender

Looking to refinance my condo but having some difficulties. I've spoken to a few lenders but have ultimately run into trouble due to the nature of the community. Each lender requires a "condo questionnaire" which is where the hang up occurs as most of the units in my community are owned as investments and rented out (which is grounds for denial apparently).

Has anyone refinanced/purchased a condo in a similar community lately? Who did you use? This is quite frustrating as I would really like to refinance and have good credit, plenty of equity, etc but but the damn ratio of renters to full time homeowners is killing me.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
xtac
Alpine White Knight
xtac's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
682
Posts

 
Drives: AW 335i M sport
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island

iTrader: (2)

sorry can't help but subbed, interesting problem.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 01:20 PM   #3
haggomyeggo
New Member
0
Rep
27
Posts

 
Drives: E93 335i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: STL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Looking to refinance my condo but having some difficulties. I've spoken to a few lenders but have ultimately run into trouble due to the nature of the community. Each lender requires a "condo questionnaire" which is where the hang up occurs as most of the units in my community are owned as investments and rented out (which is grounds for denial apparently).

Has anyone refinanced/purchased a condo in a similar community lately? Who did you use? This is quite frustrating as I would really like to refinance and have good credit, plenty of equity, etc but but the damn ratio of renters to full time homeowners is killing me.
can you explain what you mean about the "nature of the community" is it just the fact that most of the units in the condo association are owned as rental properties. Im not familar with some of the laws in FL but I work with home loans in IL/MO and have never heard of this.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 01:26 PM   #4
kyleb350
Brigadier General
kyleb350's Avatar
United_States
51
Rep
4,196
Posts

 
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: LoMbard, IL

iTrader: (6)

Easy peasy! Run for HOA board... Get rule changed regarding renting out condos
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
infinitekid2002
Creepin while ya sleepin
infinitekid2002's Avatar
United_States
52
Rep
3,400
Posts

 
Drives: Like a Bat out of Hell
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: City of Angels

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 135i  [3.71]
i will lend you these monies; however i'll need your bank account info (pm me of course)
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 10:20 PM   #6
Strongbark
Brigadier General
Strongbark's Avatar
No_Country
88
Rep
3,688
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 on order
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Earth

iTrader: (1)

You need at least 51% owner occupancy. How did the HOA allow this to get out of hand? Time to shake up that association of yours!
__________________
Strongbark

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic32890_2.gif
'13 Mini GP #485 of 500 For Sale
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 10:36 PM   #7
ejheverest
First Lieutenant
ejheverest's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
386
Posts

 
Drives: E90 SG 330i
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mass, NH, Maine, Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Did not have any issues when I refi'd my condo in 2009. We do have more than 60% owner occupied units in the development though.

Find another lender, someone will want your business.
__________________
SOLD......E90 SG, ColdWeather Pckg, Sport Pckg, Logic7,H R Sports, Rogue Ikon, M sport shift knob/boot
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 07:40 AM   #8
gatorfast
Colonel
gatorfast's Avatar
33
Rep
2,675
Posts

 
Drives: MR E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SoFla

iTrader: (3)

Unfortunately its not just one or two lenders looking for this but every major lender.

And as for the HOA "letting" this happen...what are they supposed to do? South Florida, in particular the Ft Lauderdale and Miami area near the beach, is full of rental properties. If my community didnt allow rentals half of the units would be on the market...In 2008-2010 there were many foreclosures/short sales which led to cash buyers coming in to purchase as investment properties.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 08:44 AM   #9
haggomyeggo
New Member
0
Rep
27
Posts

 
Drives: E93 335i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: STL

iTrader: (0)

I talked to the head of our mortgage operations dept and was informed that yes smaller lending outfits are going to have a tough time getting that loan through mainly because they are going to sell your loan along with hundreds more to fannie may or freddie mac as a bundle.
My company would even have trouble getting you a refi under your circumstances because of the govt restrictions on mortgages these days. FL especially b/c thats where a lot of the mortgage trouble was in the dark days of 08-2010.....

He advised that you look for a large lender that is less likely to sell the loan to someone else. Wells Fargo I think keeps most of their mortgages in house. I'd try there if you havent. Possibly go directly to Fanny or Freddie....

I mean if I could I would love to do the refi for you, for the simple fact, its just good business.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 08:58 AM   #10
gatorfast
Colonel
gatorfast's Avatar
33
Rep
2,675
Posts

 
Drives: MR E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SoFla

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggomyeggo View Post
I talked to the head of our mortgage operations dept and was informed that yes smaller lending outfits are going to have a tough time getting that loan through mainly because they are going to sell your loan along with hundreds more to fannie may or freddie mac as a bundle.
My company would even have trouble getting you a refi under your circumstances because of the govt restrictions on mortgages these days. FL especially b/c thats where a lot of the mortgage trouble was in the dark days of 08-2010.....

He advised that you look for a large lender that is less likely to sell the loan to someone else. Wells Fargo I think keeps most of their mortgages in house. I'd try there if you havent. Possibly go directly to Fanny or Freddie....

I mean if I could I would love to do the refi for you, for the simple fact, its just good business.
Thanks for the advise. Im actually in talks with WF but unfortunately it appears I will have the same problem as their loans must meet fannie/freddie guidelines.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 06:48 PM   #11
Strongbark
Brigadier General
Strongbark's Avatar
No_Country
88
Rep
3,688
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 on order
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Earth

iTrader: (1)

Check local credit unions. That will be your best bet.
__________________
Strongbark

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic32890_2.gif
'13 Mini GP #485 of 500 For Sale
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 05:53 AM   #12
JMX328
Insert Something Witty.
United_States
5
Rep
32
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 328i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned1M View Post
Check local credit unions. That will be your best bet.
It's not the institution (whether it be a bank, mortgage bank, credit union, etc).

All conforming loans (basically any mortgage unless it's hard money or a portfolio loan [both are very rare and generally pricy]) must meet specific guidelines on properties, if the originating bank plans to sell the mortgage on the secondary mortgage market. The majority, if not all, financial institutions do not "hold" their mortgages for long after they're originated. They're sold either to FNMA or FHLMC, or private investors, on the secondary mortgage market (basically the stock market of mortgages). For an institution to offer its mortgage on this market, however, they must meet federally set guidelines.

Unfortunately OP, unless the 51% number is met, I foresee the refinancing effort will be almost impossible, regardless of institution.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:29 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST