BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
Racewerkz Engineering
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-28-2012, 01:55 PM   #23
Porschefile
Major
 
Porschefile's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Tennessee

Posts: 1,232
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I think comparing lap times is pointless unless you eliminate the biggest variable...the driver. You'll probably be a little slower when you first install the LSD since it will change how the back end of the car behaves. It will go from flaccid to quite lively.
True on both counts. Comparing lap times is pointless unless you actually are comparing the quickest time for the track for each car, at a same or similar mod level. At that level, the drivers are both capable of extracting a good time out of the car, assuming it isn't the best lap time because it's the only lap time.

The first time you drive it with the LSD should be a bit scary if you haven't driven a car with an aggressive LSD before. That goes for a number of mods; the first time on track with them is time to relearn the car.
Porschefile is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-28-2012, 02:51 PM   #24
bigjae1976
That's what she said...
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 5,399
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefile View Post
True on both counts. Comparing lap times is pointless unless you actually are comparing the quickest time for the track for each car, at a same or similar mod level. At that level, the drivers are both capable of extracting a good time out of the car, assuming it isn't the best lap time because it's the only lap time.

The first time you drive it with the LSD should be a bit scary if you haven't driven a car with an aggressive LSD before. That goes for a number of mods; the first time on track with them is time to relearn the car.
...I spun on the 3rd lap after installing an LSD and front camber plates. It was my first spin and scared the crap out of me.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
bigjae1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-28-2012, 08:48 PM   #25
Killerfish2012
Major
 
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Midwest

Posts: 1,255
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefile View Post
True on both counts. Comparing lap times is pointless unless you actually are comparing the quickest time for the track for each car, at a same or similar mod level. At that level, the drivers are both capable of extracting a good time out of the car, assuming it isn't the best lap time because it's the only lap time.
Your point is invalid, because we run what you bring. Also, I think that you are the troll, because I actually go to a track with my car. I invite you to my next track meet. Before you even respond, I know you won't show up, even though you aren't very far. That sounds like a troll to me.
__________________
E90 335I: FBO +wavetrac LSD
E92 M3: K&N, V1, Yokohama AD08
Killerfish2012 is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-28-2012, 09:34 PM   #26
klammer
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 07 X5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: chicago

Posts: 3,238
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefile View Post
True on both counts. Comparing lap times is pointless unless you actually are comparing the quickest time for the track for each car, at a same or similar mod level. At that level, the drivers are both capable of extracting a good time out of the car, assuming it isn't the best lap time because it's the only lap time.
Your point is invalid, because we run what you bring. Also, I think that you are the troll, because I actually go to a track with my car. I invite you to my next track meet. Before you even respond, I know you won't show up, even though you aren't very far. That sounds like a troll to me.
Play nice
__________________
mods: akra evo, dinan 3.45 diff, ess akra tune, dinan stg.3, Alcon bbk, HRE P40
klammer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-28-2012, 10:28 PM   #27
bigjae1976
That's what she said...
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 5,399
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish2012 View Post
Your point is invalid, because we run what you bring. Also, I think that you are the troll, because I actually go to a track with my car. I invite you to my next track meet. Before you even respond, I know you won't show up, even though you aren't very far. That sounds like a troll to me.
...you sound like one of those guys...never mind.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
bigjae1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-28-2012, 11:31 PM   #28
Porschefile
Major
 
Porschefile's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Tennessee

Posts: 1,232
iTrader: (6)

ha, I go to the track with mine too bring your 335 to VIR or any other east coast track anytime. Didn't mean to offend you. Just wanted to point out that lap times don't mean jack when you're intermediate hpde guys (or advanced for the most part). I passed a GT3 RS last event in the instructor group, but I have a feeling my M3 isn't the faster car.
Porschefile is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-29-2012, 03:51 PM   #29
Richbot
Colonel
 
Drives: Jerez Black E90
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: STL

Posts: 2,014
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish2012 View Post
Your point is invalid, because we run what you bring. Also, I think that you are the troll, because I actually go to a track with my car. I invite you to my next track meet. Before you even respond, I know you won't show up, even though you aren't very far. That sounds like a troll to me.
Track meet? A 1:55 at MAM in a 400+ hp car is pretty damn weak to be calling people out with.
__________________

Last edited by Richbot; 07-29-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Richbot is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-29-2012, 04:19 PM   #30
Killerfish2012
Major
 
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Midwest

Posts: 1,255
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Track meet? A 1:55 at MAM in a 400+ hp car is pretty damn weak to be calling people out with.
First of all thanks for giving me 400+hp, seeing as I haven't dynoed yet. Second, do you really think your miata will break 1:55 in 102 degree heat?

Seeing as the fastest car there came off a trailer and did a 1:43, in the advanced group, I'm pretty damn proud of my Time considering the guy in the Z06, and Boss have been there several times, and it was my very first time at the track.
__________________
E90 335I: FBO +wavetrac LSD
E92 M3: K&N, V1, Yokohama AD08

Last edited by Killerfish2012; 07-29-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Killerfish2012 is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-29-2012, 04:25 PM   #31
Killerfish2012
Major
 
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Midwest

Posts: 1,255
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefile View Post
Didn't mean to offend you. Just wanted to point out that lap times don't mean jack when you're intermediate hpde guys (or advanced for the most part).
Apology accepted. However we will agree to disagree about your argument. It's not ok for me to compare my track times to others in my group who have been to the track several times before, but it's ok for car and bimmer to throw a whole bunch of different cars, each with different drivers at VIR, and start making conclusions about vehicle speed. It's also ok for you guys to argue on here with those times.

right.
__________________
E90 335I: FBO +wavetrac LSD
E92 M3: K&N, V1, Yokohama AD08
Killerfish2012 is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #32
bigjae1976
That's what she said...
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 5,399
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
I don't know much but my experience is the faster guys on the track usually talk about tires, suspension bits, brakes, and car setup.

All I see is your plan to get a dyno sheet, your new intercooler and fuel mixtures.

Hmmm.....
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
bigjae1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-29-2012, 06:28 PM   #33
Richbot
Colonel
 
Drives: Jerez Black E90
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: STL

Posts: 2,014
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish2012 View Post
First of all thanks for giving me 400+hp, seeing as I haven't dynoed yet. Second, do you really think your miata will break 1:55 in 102 degree heat?

Seeing as the fastest car there came off a trailer and did a 1:43, in the advanced group, I'm pretty damn proud of my Time considering the guy in the Z06, and Boss have been there several times, and it was my very first time at the track.
I race something else and not the SM anymore, but when I did drag the SM up there for the july and august races for several years I race pace was 1:47's and 1:48's in 95 degree heat there, qualifying was faster, I doubt 7 degrees would cost 8 seconds, considering 100+ degree temps only cost about 2 seconds at other tracks in the region relative to 70 degrees...

Not saying you shouldn't be happy with your time, but maybe you shouldn't be e-thugging someone who comes in your thread with experience and facts, you volunteered the information after all

"come at me bro, let's settle this at my next track meet!" is pretty toolish
__________________
Richbot is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-29-2012, 07:25 PM   #34
Killerfish2012
Major
 
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Midwest

Posts: 1,255
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Not saying you shouldn't be happy with your time, but maybe you shouldn't be e-thugging someone who comes in your thread with experience and facts, you volunteered the information after all

"come at me bro, let's settle this at my next track meet!" is pretty toolish
This is the track section of the forum right? I posted on here about this meet last year, and was talking about it for over 6 months straight, with the link to the cheap event, in my sig. guess what? NOBODY from this forum showed. I came back to post about my experiences, and everybody is speed racer, behind the lap top. The post has long since degraded into a troll fight, so guess, what? I'm out. This is my last post. see you guys at my next event.

Yeah right.
__________________
E90 335I: FBO +wavetrac LSD
E92 M3: K&N, V1, Yokohama AD08
Killerfish2012 is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-29-2012, 10:36 PM   #35
bigjae1976
That's what she said...
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 5,399
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
I race something else and not the SM anymore, but when I did drag the SM up there for the july and august races for several years I race pace was 1:47's and 1:48's in 95 degree heat there, qualifying was faster, I doubt 7 degrees would cost 8 seconds, considering 100+ degree temps only cost about 2 seconds at other tracks in the region relative to 70 degrees...

Not saying you shouldn't be happy with your time, but maybe you shouldn't be e-thugging someone who comes in your thread with experience and facts, you volunteered the information after all

"come at me bro, let's settle this at my next track meet!" is pretty toolish
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
bigjae1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:18 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST