BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

07-19-2012, 10:13 AM   #67
UnaBomber
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5, 2010 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAForever View Post
How was the ride quality and road and wind noise? I've heard it is comparable to EDC-sport which to me is very comfortable for a sports car, but I've also heard it rattles your teeth and is not suitable for DDing.
I Daily drove mine on stock suspension for more than 10k miles and never had any issues. It definitely doesnt ride like an M but its not that bad
8.97@164 - 206.99 half mile - 1401whp 1095tq Road Race Prepped Monster Killed on Hellbender 28
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #68
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

nice read, but i'm a bit confused by your review OP, especially the last part about soul and then you love both gtr and m3. LOL

with that said, the newer 2012/2013 GTR are reported to be much more involving to drive and have more soul than older model year. Nissan upgraded them extensively in the feel department.

anyway, the only reason why I cannot buy the GTR is the rear seat. why can't nissan or porche make the rear seats of the GTR/911 turbo better. i can't fit sh1t back their. don't they realize most people who can afford these cars have children too. urg......

wouldn't it be cool to fit wife, and two/three kids in the GTR and smoke 99.99% of car out there and arrive at the restaurant in style?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #69
UnaBomber
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5, 2010 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
nice read, but i'm a bit confused by your review OP, especially the last part about soul and then you love both gtr and m3. LOL

with that said, the newer 2012/2013 GTR are reported to be much more involving to drive and have more soul than older model year. Nissan upgraded them extensively in the feel department.

anyway, the only reason why I cannot buy the GTR is the rear seat. why can't nissan or porche make the rear seats of the GTR/911 turbo better. i can't fit sh1t back their. don't they realize most people who can afford these cars have children too. urg......

wouldn't it be cool to fit wife, and two/three kids in the GTR and smoke 99.99% of car out there and arrive at the restaurant in style?
my wife, daughter and dog all fit in mine just fine
8.97@164 - 206.99 half mile - 1401whp 1095tq Road Race Prepped Monster Killed on Hellbender 28
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #70
///M3THOD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 997GT3 View Post
So what?
I owned one for nearly two years(13,000miles) and had a GTR at the same time. I dumped the CLK63 Black because its wasn't even close.
Sorry but you're mistaken. The CLK63 is nice but its a big assed Merc with a terrible transmission.
Easy... easy...

My post wasn't intended to posture for one side or the other, it was just to say that the 2 Merc's are great cars and fun to drive.. in other words, they are definitely worthy of comparison.

I can't see anywhere a such a broad generalized comment like that were I could be mistaken.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 05:13 PM   #71
Ice350
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Lexus GS350

Quote:

No, that wouldn't be cool. No way I would attempt to "smoke" some other car with my family on board.
If you want a fast car and room for the family, that why the sport sedan has become so popular.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 12:34 AM   #72
HotIce
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

I love everything about the R35 GT-R. The problem is, I don't need the transmission noises and diff noises coming into the cabin, that would just annoy me. The M3 offers both the refinement and the performance I want without the noises.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 08:47 AM   #73
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Agreed
      07-21-2012, 12:01 PM   #74
lux
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87 M2, 2011 E90 M3 Comp

Quote:

That's called a Panamera Turbo/Turbo S. Fugly design from the rear but no joke in terms of performance.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 12:30 PM   #75
SCCAForums.com
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated ///M View Post
I love everything about the R35 GT-R. The problem is, I don't need the transmission noises and diff noises coming into the cabin, that would just annoy me. The M3 offers both the refinement and the performance I want without the noises.

I actually 'liked' the rawness of the mechanical trans sounds. Reminds me of my SMG Trans in the M5. However... I've since updated my 2010 to the 2013 trans specs (just an ecu upgrade from cobb)... trans is butter smooth & quiet. 15K daily driven miles here, and a 10 year old boy, 6 year old daughter that fit just fine. Rear Seat is only good till about 12 years old max IMO... but only other alternative for me would be a ZR1... and then I could never take the family on a weekend fun trip.

Peace,
Dave
2008 Lexus IS-F (Sold) 12.5 @ 113 / 2008 Shelby GT500 (Sold) 11.3 @ 126
2008 e90 M3 6MT 12.8 @ 111 (Sold) / 2006 e60 M5 12.4 @ 114 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 03:07 PM   #76
991GT3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3THOD View Post
Easy... easy...

My post wasn't intended to posture for one side or the other, it was just to say that the 2 Merc's are great cars and fun to drive.. in other words, they are definitely worthy of comparison.

I can't see anywhere a such a broad generalized comment like that were I could be mistaken.
And i disagree. The CLK 63 Black Series isn't very comparable to a GTR . Performance wise the Nissan will destroy it. The M3 is a better car.

-2016 Macan Turbo(GF vehicle)
-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 04:55 PM   #77
Dntlvet
Dntlvet
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 M3 Sedan,13 GT-R BE,13 Pors

I have ridden in and driven GT-R. I have a 6 week wait for a 2013 black BE. I won't get rid of my M3 any time soon. Guess I will suffer with both.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 10:41 PM   #78
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2016 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dntlvet View Post
I have ridden in and driven GT-R. I have a 6 week wait for a 2013 black BE. I won't get rid of my M3 any time soon. Guess I will suffer with both.
Good point. If I were to get a GTR I would keep my M3. Took me 3 years to get it set up and I want to enjoy it a while longer.
      07-22-2012, 12:26 AM   #79
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

People throw around the word soul a lot around cars. It is very objective/not quantifiable so its hard to venture into that subject without receiving criticism. Having driven a GTR, I think the car has different characteristics than other cars. Hauls so much ass the throttle should be a registered weapon. In my opinion, due to the fact that Nissan went through such exhaustive measures to ensure that it performs as it does, I would say there is soul.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 10:28 AM   #80
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnaBomber View Post
my wife, daughter and dog all fit in mine just fine
I do see that it may fit the kids back there, but it will be real tight. if it is anything like my e46 m3, i would say that is too tight for a daily basic. i got sick of taking my kids in/out of the m3 after awhile. my wife had to sit all the way to the front where her knee would hit the glovebox just to fit my daughter in the back. it worked, but not for long drive.

it would be amazing if they can make something 4 doors with interior room of a panamera and the performance of a gtr.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #81
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

oh only if i could get a white gt-r with some dimond cut BBS LMs on them. I would really be super happy.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #82
Dzflj5
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

CSMRX7: I'm looking at both ESS SC M3 and Cobb GT-R as a weekend car, will mostly drive on winding country roads with the odd commute around San Francisco area. Which would you deem the more entertaining car in these conditions? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 08:20 PM   #83
scheherazade
Major
Rep
Drives: 09 GTR (& 93' accord!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzflj5 View Post
CSMRX7: I'm looking at both ESS SC M3 and Cobb GT-R as a weekend car, will mostly drive on winding country roads with the odd commute around San Francisco area. Which would you deem the more entertaining car in these conditions? Thanks!
Neither.

Get an elise/exige and put the top down.
You'll be far, far more entertained.

And it's got good mileage and is easy to park... for the odd commute.

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #84
Dzflj5
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Thanks for the rely!

I know what you mean... trading in my 1999 Boxster which I love dearly but it is getting tempermental and expensive to maintain (on my second engine). Constrained by the need for a hard top for hauling bikes / surfboards and a DCT automatic for the wife. Not a lot of choices in the $60K range. DD is SL55 so I have the ballistic missile cruise thing down pat, now need the type of fun you've prescribed.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 03:09 AM   #85
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

actually have had the pleasure of logging at least 2000 miles on a good friends GTR BE... my thoughts on the car are;

1. it's a lot of fun to drive, hands down... it's not so much this "has no soul" nonsense, but the car, it would take something really really stupid on the drivers part to screw up in this car... this car can do things you only dreamed about doing, say in a video game... regardless of the speed you are traveling at, the handle is crisp and precise...

2. it does "rattle" a lot... i mean, a lot... i used to tease my friend and say they kept the cost of the car down by interchanging it with nissan altima parts... side note, the paddle shifters are the exact same ones from the G37, lol and i'm sure countless other nissan's/infiniti's??

3. the recaro seats in the BE are amazing... i always found it kind of funny that it's heated recaro seats...

4. just gives you a sensation when you mash the gas that few cars can give you, especially in that price range...

5. there is no road noise reduction... using the vehicle equipped bluetooth is futile at speeds over 50mph...

fun factor on a scale of 1-10 is probably a 12... it just makes you smile everytime you hit the start button... is the car refined?? no, not i the least bit, but it does what it was designed to do and then some... could you use it as a daily driver?? possibly, but not comfortably... to put it completely in perspective, my buddy ran out 6 months later and picked up a CL65 as a daily driver and the GTR is now the weekend car...

i know someone mentioned the C63 black edition.. visually, it's stunning... exhaust note is intoxicating, but it's missing the feeling of the GTR and even in the M... no matter how much punch it, it's a much more smoother power delivery, almost one of those surprising how fast you're going because it doesn't feel like it... the neck breaking accelerating factor doesn't apply here at all, unlike the GTR or even the M3...
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 06:37 AM   #86
IFX
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e46M/N54

don't know if you guys have heard, but gtr's have suddenly starting going airborne.....

lol. jk
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 12:54 PM   #87
konaforever
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Red GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
actually have had the pleasure of logging at least 2000 miles on a good friends GTR BE... my thoughts on the car are;

1. it's a lot of fun to drive, hands down... it's not so much this "has no soul" nonsense, but the car, it would take something really really stupid on the drivers part to screw up in this car... this car can do things you only dreamed about doing, say in a video game... regardless of the speed you are traveling at, the handle is crisp and precise...

2. it does "rattle" a lot... i mean, a lot... i used to tease my friend and say they kept the cost of the car down by interchanging it with nissan altima parts... side note, the paddle shifters are the exact same ones from the G37, lol and i'm sure countless other nissan's/infiniti's??

3. the recaro seats in the BE are amazing... i always found it kind of funny that it's heated recaro seats...

4. just gives you a sensation when you mash the gas that few cars can give you, especially in that price range...

5. there is no road noise reduction... using the vehicle equipped bluetooth is futile at speeds over 50mph...

fun factor on a scale of 1-10 is probably a 12... it just makes you smile everytime you hit the start button... is the car refined?? no, not i the least bit, but it does what it was designed to do and then some... could you use it as a daily driver?? possibly, but not comfortably... to put it completely in perspective, my buddy ran out 6 months later and picked up a CL65 as a daily driver and the GTR is now the weekend car...

i know someone mentioned the C63 black edition.. visually, it's stunning... exhaust note is intoxicating, but it's missing the feeling of the GTR and even in the M... no matter how much punch it, it's a much more smoother power delivery, almost one of those surprising how fast you're going because it doesn't feel like it... the neck breaking accelerating factor doesn't apply here at all, unlike the GTR or even the M3...
\

Nice write-up! Love my GTR too!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 06:51 PM   #88
Hens
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Pure Edition

My 2c on the GTR. At normal driving speeds, the thing is in everyway inferior to the m3. Its noisy and clunky and it really is very boring to drive, the sensation of speed just isnt there at lower speeds.

of course that all changes for truly "spirited" driving.
Appreciate 0