BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
 
INDustry distribution
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-30-2007, 12:45 PM   #23
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Sniz's Avatar
190
Rep
10,572
Posts

 
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ellicott City, MD

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
GTOs are slow compared to the 335 with procede.
GTOs are very heavy.
those are 2 vague and incorrect statements. The GTO is heavy, but not VERY heavy. Hell the 335 coupes are not much less. And if trapping 109 in the 1/4 is slow, then so are procede 335's.....thats what they trap.

__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 12:54 PM   #24
Driv3r
Colonel
Driv3r's Avatar
United_States
53
Rep
2,358
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 ZCP
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Miami Beach, FL

iTrader: (8)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak81 View Post
Hey guys.....I'm a GTO owner. I know Matt (Sniz) and he sent me the link to this thread. Being the GTO owner I thought I could share some first hand knowledge. First of all.....it seems that most of these accounts are at high altitude where the forced induction of the 335 obviously has the advantage over the N/A GTO. I understand you guys are just posting your first hand encounters, I just want to make sure that the general consensus isn't that "All GTOs are slow and run mid to low 14s no matter where you run them."

Yes, GTOs are heavy pigs. (around 3725 pounds) They are also VERY tricky to launch because of the IRS, and the RIDICULOUSLY skinny tires that GM in their infinite wisdom decided to stick on them. (245s for the 17" rims, and 235 for the 18s) Needless to say, the tires are ridiculously undersized for a 400hp vehicle. That combination produces some NASTY wheel hop out of the hole, so 1/4 mile ETs suffer. A lot of the guys are putting drag bags in the rears to help control it. That being said, if a competant driver is behind the wheel of a 6 speed 05+ GTO...they can be very quick. I took my car to the strip (slightly above sea level) with 1,400 miles on the clock and logged a best pass of 13.3@109mph bone stock.

Matt (Sniz) and I are going to meet up VERY soon to see what my stock GTO can do against his Procede 335i. Hopefully we'll get some videos so you guys can see the runs. Like I said, I have never run a 335i so I don't really have any idea what to expect, but I'm a pretty good driver. I used to have a 2003 Z06 (stock) and ran 12.2@116 in 104* August heat last summer.

Anyway, if anyone else has any questions for a GTO owner, feel free to ask and I'll answer as best I can.

Cheers!
~Brian
Hey man welcome to e90post, yea the GTO is a beast though i drove one a few times
__________________
2006 E46 M3 ZCP 6SPD-Interlagos Blue - 6SPD - SSK - AA Headers -AA Tune - Navigation w/ Splashscreen Mod - 3M Crystalline Series 60 - Carbon Splitters - Swissvax Treated - Bridgestone
2012 Yamaha FZ8 - Matte Black/Grey - Michelin Pilot Pure 2CT - Vortex Rear Sets - Yoshimura R-77D & Fender Delete - Spectro Race Oil - GP Reverse Shifting
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 01:04 PM   #25
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
badass335's Avatar
Canada
33
Rep
1,815
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i E90 AT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Surrey, BC

iTrader: (10)

I ran against a New GTO on the way home from a German Car meet in Seattle. We had nice roads, a little twisty through the mountains but overall pretty good. I will say, they are damn fast. I stayed in front probably by 2 -3 car lengths but he was right there behind me. We pushed pretty hard and if we ran into corners, i came out faster so maintained my lead and I have procede. There was an S4 with exhaust behind and he couldn't keep with us. I slowed down after a while and the guy drove up. He had the shocked look on his face..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 01:14 PM   #26
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Mr. 5's Avatar
Scotland
269
Rep
8,626
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surf City, HB

iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
those are 2 vague and incorrect statements. The GTO is heavy, but not VERY heavy. Hell the 335 coupes are not much less. And if trapping 109 in the 1/4 is slow, then so are procede 335's.....thats what they trap.

Based on my experience, they are slower than a lot of people think.
Maybe the term "slow" was a bad choice of words.

The times that I've seen these things put down are not impressive by any means.

You are correct about the weight though. I just looked up the weight on the GTO and it's 3725 lbs and the 335 coupe is 3571 lbs - a difference of 154 lbs.
I thought that the GTO was pushing 4k, but I guess I was wrong.

That's still 154 lbs though. On top of that, I just found a dyno of a new GTO.
Can you see why are times are so much better??
Attached Images
 
__________________
e36 M3 Coupe, e36 325i Sedan
e90 335i--SOLD

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 01:17 PM   #27
A418t81
Major
United_States
19
Rep
1,317
Posts

 
Drives: F80 M3/997TT
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Birmingham Al

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
Based on my experience, they are slower than a lot of people think.
Maybe the term "slow" was a bad choice of words.

The times that I've seen these things put down are not impressive by any means.

You are correct about the weight though. I just looked up the weight on the GTO and it's 3725 lbs and the 335 coupe is 3571 lbs - a difference of 154 lbs.
I thought that the GTO was pushing 4k, but I guess I was wrong.

That's still 154 lbs though. On top of that, I just found a dyno of a new GTO.
Can you see why are times are so much better??
That can't be an LS2 dyno.
__________________
'15 AW/SO F80 M3 6MT: IND cosmetic package, Gloss black grill surrounds, Macht schnell 15mm spacers all around, 3M crystalline
07 997 TT 6MT, Arctic Silver/Sea Blue: AWE exhaust, Cobb stage 2, GT2RS ICs, H&R, 19" BBS CH-R in widebody fitment
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 01:21 PM   #28
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Mr. 5's Avatar
Scotland
269
Rep
8,626
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surf City, HB

iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by A418t81 View Post
That can't be an LS2 dyno.
I know dynos are different, but I found this based on some guys dyno with his new GTO.
__________________
e36 M3 Coupe, e36 325i Sedan
e90 335i--SOLD

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 01:40 PM   #29
DCJAX
First Lieutenant
3
Rep
309
Posts

 
Drives: na
Join Date: May 2007
Location: na

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A418t81 View Post
That can't be an LS2 dyno.
Not likely. That would even be a pretty weak dyno for an Ls1.

My 98 LS1 (pre ls6 intake, weak 98 cam etc.) put down 320rwhp with a catback and airlid... the 02 ls1s were doing that totally stock.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 02:06 PM   #30
speedfreak81
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
230
Posts

 
Drives: '07 E92 335, '08 LS3 Corvette
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Fairfax, VA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
GTOs are slow compared to the 335 with procede.
GTOs are very heavy.
I take it you have a Procede and have destroyed LS2 goats then? My '06 GTO trapped 109mph bone stock with 1400 miles on it. I don't know where that puts me against a Procede 335 because I haven't raced one yet.....but I wouldn't call it "slow."
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 02:09 PM   #31
speedfreak81
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
230
Posts

 
Drives: '07 E92 335, '08 LS3 Corvette
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Fairfax, VA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driv3r View Post
Hey man welcome to e90post, yea the GTO is a beast though i drove one a few times
Thanks man for the warm welcome! I see you're in Miami. Buddy of mine lived in Dania Beach for 5 years and just moved back home here to the DC area.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 02:13 PM   #32
speedfreak81
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
230
Posts

 
Drives: '07 E92 335, '08 LS3 Corvette
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Fairfax, VA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
Based on my experience, they are slower than a lot of people think.
Maybe the term "slow" was a bad choice of words.

The times that I've seen these things put down are not impressive by any means.

You are correct about the weight though. I just looked up the weight on the GTO and it's 3725 lbs and the 335 coupe is 3571 lbs - a difference of 154 lbs.
I thought that the GTO was pushing 4k, but I guess I was wrong.

That's still 154 lbs though. On top of that, I just found a dyno of a new GTO.
Can you see why are times are so much better??
Ok, it's posts like this that irritate me. You must know absolutely nothing about GTOs.....that right there HAS to be a dyno graph for a 2004 GTO. (5.7 LS1 350hp) Even that is a bit on the low side...probably an auto '04 goat. There is a BIG difference between '04 and 05+ GTOs. The 05+ have 50 more hp and you're talking a 364 cube LS2 vs. a 346 cube LS1. Most of the LS2 05+ cars dyno between 340-350rwhp stock. It would probably be a good idea to do some research before writing some of the things I've seen out of your last couple posts.

It pays to know your enemy, so to speak!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 02:17 PM   #33
musc
mixing red and blue just like icees
musc's Avatar
United_States
18
Rep
1,327
Posts

 
Drives: 335is DCT
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SE USA

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [0.00]
The GTO is strong at sea level with good weather. Plus they were a bargain. My friend picked one up for 27K new. + It doesn't take much to get extra hp out of a small block chevy. They may have not been the prettiest cars, but definitely a nice bang for the buck.
__________________
335is DCT | FBO | E60 | No meth | Cobb V3 BQ tuning by Wedge Performance
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 02:28 PM   #34
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Sniz's Avatar
190
Rep
10,572
Posts

 
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ellicott City, MD

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak81 View Post
Ok, it's posts like this that irritate me. You must know absolutely nothing about GTOs.....that right there HAS to be a dyno graph for a 2004 GTO. (5.7 LS1 350hp) Even that is a bit on the low side...probably an auto '04 goat. There is a BIG difference between '04 and 05+ GTOs. The 05+ have 50 more hp and you're talking a 364 cube LS2 vs. a 346 cube LS1. Most of the LS2 05+ cars dyno between 340-350rwhp stock. It would probably be a good idea to do some research before writing some of the things I've seen out of your last couple posts.

It pays to know your enemy, so to speak!
Mr 5 got Kurt all riled up

The stock LS2 motor is one hell of a good starting point. Honestly I'd rather have one of them under the hood of my 335 than the N54. More tuneable (is that a word?) and better gas mileage as well as being cheaper to mod and repair. Yes the twin turbo 6 is a great motor, but for the money the LS2 is great. It might weigh less than the N54 too??

Honestly, this is a good looking car! However its not stock, I believe it has a complete Holden front end.



and sounds damned good too! V8 rumble FTW baby!

http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a81...t=c044392b.flv
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 02:40 PM   #35
speedfreak81
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
230
Posts

 
Drives: '07 E92 335, '08 LS3 Corvette
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Fairfax, VA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
Mr 5 got Kurt all riled up

The stock LS2 motor is one hell of a good starting point. Honestly I'd rather have one of them under the hood of my 335 than the N54. More tuneable (is that a word?) and better gas mileage as well as being cheaper to mod and repair. Yes the twin turbo 6 is a great motor, but for the money the LS2 is great. It might weigh less than the N54 too??

Honestly, this is a good looking car! However its not stock, I believe it has a complete Holden front end.



and sounds damned good too! V8 rumble FTW baby!

http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a81...t=c044392b.flv
Got Brian all riled up too!! I saw that post over on LS2gto.com earlier with that car in it. Those rims look great on that car, yes it's a holden conversion. I'm undecided what I like better. I like the lower "mouth" area on the holden front better....but I don't like the upper part where the 2 pontiac grills are on the regular GTO. God that probably confused the hell out of a lot of people.

Get my PM on the other bimmer forum?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 02:41 PM   #36
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Mr. 5's Avatar
Scotland
269
Rep
8,626
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surf City, HB

iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
Well, it's about time I ticked off a couple people here, and the funny thing is that I didn't even tick off a 335 owner.

It's obvious that some GTO guys were crying about losing at LACR to a 335 and you just had to post here to strut your stuff.
Know my enemy? I have the kills under my belt at the track and I'm pretty sure post number 1 will back me up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak81 View Post
Ok, it's posts like this that irritate me. You must know absolutely nothing about GTOs.....that right there HAS to be a dyno graph for a 2004 GTO. (5.7 LS1 350hp) Even that is a bit on the low side...probably an auto '04 goat. There is a BIG difference between '04 and 05+ GTOs. The 05+ have 50 more hp and you're talking a 364 cube LS2 vs. a 346 cube LS1. Most of the LS2 05+ cars dyno between 340-350rwhp stock. It would probably be a good idea to do some research before writing some of the things I've seen out of your last couple posts.

It pays to know your enemy, so to speak!
__________________
e36 M3 Coupe, e36 325i Sedan
e90 335i--SOLD

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 02:45 PM   #37
1clean335i
Perf BMW mag issue 147, 159
1clean335i's Avatar
Vietnam
155
Rep
6,754
Posts

 
Drives: Project Estoril
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Central Florida

iTrader: (30)

Garage List
I want to go run one now just to see the actual results...
__________________
'13 Estoril Blue 335i M-sport
*Don't PM me!* Message me here- http://www.facebook.com/ProjectEstoril
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 02:46 PM   #38
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Sniz's Avatar
190
Rep
10,572
Posts

 
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ellicott City, MD

iTrader: (1)

yeah I got the IM kurt....i'm in for this weekend. Shouldnt be as crazy as the past few for me. Check you message box.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 02:50 PM   #39
Cookiemonster
Captain
Cookiemonster's Avatar
7
Rep
791
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 335XI e92
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Jupiter

iTrader: (2)

I own a 2004 ls-1 GTO and a 335I sedan.

They are about the same in speed. 335I is a much better car in handleing and brakes.

best run in my stock ls-1 GTO was 13.4 @ 105. consistant 13.6 at 103 to 104

Gto's in ls-1 or ls-2 versions need a little loving to make them run fast. They heat up quick when sitting. A simple thing as turning on the a/c when in line run will lower coolant by twenty degree. Then you simple turnit off when you run the 1/4 mile. I use to hang with lots of ls-1 gto guys and gals....lol we where all 13.5 and under. You have to power shift! in order to to get decent times. The throws of the stick are huge. Power shift will net you the best times the shocks are soft when power shifting this makes the wheels loose which makes the car rock less ....hard to explain. I can beat a ls-2 GTO that does not power shift if I power shift in my LS-1 GTO. the best 60' time requires no wheel spin. If you spin the tires at all off the line your times will suck.

GTO is a simple car that takes practice to get the launch and times down.

It is heavy at over 3800 pounds ....it is heavy and you feel every pound.
__________________
2007 335I sedan (retired)
2010 335xi coupe
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 02:51 PM   #40
speedfreak81
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
230
Posts

 
Drives: '07 E92 335, '08 LS3 Corvette
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Fairfax, VA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
Well, it's about time I ticked off a couple people here, and the funny thing is that I didn't even tick off a 335 owner.

It's obvious that some GTO guys were crying about losing at LACR to a 335 and you just had to post here to strut your stuff.
Know my enemy? I have the kills under my belt at the track and I'm pretty sure post number 1 will back me up.
Actually.....Matt aka "Sniz", a 335 owner sent me a PM on another bimmer board that I'm a member of pointing out this thread. I'm not here to strut my stuff as you say either. There seemed to be a bit of a misconception, and being a GTO owner, thought I could offer up some info coming from the other side of the fence. I have absolutely nothing against 335s or bimmers in general. In fact, I was contemplating buying a 335 at the end of this year, but got a deal on the GTO I just couldn't justify not jumping on. If you'll take a look at my sig, you'll see that I've owned many cars from many different manufacturers. I'm not a "Chevy guy" or a "Pontiac guy" per say....just a car enthusiast who enjoys each machine for what they are able to offer me.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 03:08 PM   #41
Garrett
Banned
16
Rep
1,356
Posts

 
Drives: 2004 330ci
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Mich

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak81 View Post
Actually.....Matt aka "Sniz", a 335 owner sent me a PM on another bimmer board that I'm a member of pointing out this thread. I'm not here to strut my stuff as you say either. There seemed to be a bit of a misconception, and being a GTO owner, thought I could offer up some info coming from the other side of the fence. I have absolutely nothing against 335s or bimmers in general. In fact, I was contemplating buying a 335 at the end of this year, but got a deal on the GTO I just couldn't justify not jumping on. If you'll take a look at my sig, you'll see that I've owned many cars from many different manufacturers. I'm not a "Chevy guy" or a "Pontiac guy" per say....just a car enthusiast who enjoys each machine for what they are able to offer me.
Welcome to the boards....

My friends younger bro has a GTO o5'. He drove us home from the bar last year and it's pretty quick. Felt like an older Vette!






-Garrett
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 03:34 PM   #42
speedfreak81
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
230
Posts

 
Drives: '07 E92 335, '08 LS3 Corvette
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Fairfax, VA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
Welcome to the boards....

My friends younger bro has a GTO o5'. He drove us home from the bar last year and it's pretty quick. Felt like an older Vette!






-Garrett
Thanks Garrett! Glad to be here.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 03:43 PM   #43
hotrod182
.
hotrod182's Avatar
84
Rep
3,461
Posts

 
Drives: 07 335i, 06 M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak81 View Post
Thanks Garrett! Glad to be here.
I just want everyone to know the GTO folks at LACR were great sports. Even after they lost, they came up to talk to me, they were friendly, and curious about how a little four door 3 series sedan could beat them. I hung out with some of them at the track, it was all in good fun.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 04:07 PM   #44
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Mr. 5's Avatar
Scotland
269
Rep
8,626
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surf City, HB

iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod182 View Post
I just want everyone to know the GTO folks at LACR were great sports. Even after they lost, they came up to talk to me, they were friendly, and curious about how a little four door 3 series sedan could beat them. I hung out with some of them at the track, it was all in good fun.
Glad to hear it!
When it all comes down to it, it's nothing but fun!
__________________
e36 M3 Coupe, e36 325i Sedan
e90 335i--SOLD

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:45 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST