BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #45
amirz1000
Private First Class
 
amirz1000's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Laguna Niguel, CA

Posts: 191
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S
Quote:
Originally Posted by docsdoc View Post
So far I've been satisfied with my stock Pirelli P zeros on my 2012 E93
The PZeros are an excellent tire. They just don't last very long.

Dave
+1. Had them on my C55 and burned right through them. They had great traction though for sure.
amirz1000 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #46
tibra1
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

Posts: 6,777
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
The PZeros are an excellent tire. They just don't last very long.

Dave
This is true my rears are ~ 40% after only 6K miles.. fronts are about 70%
tibra1 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      07-04-2012, 10:06 PM   #47
smmmurf
Colonel
 
Drives: 2009 M3 Sedan 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pleasanton, CA

Posts: 2,081
iTrader: (7)

I actually love my PS2's. I have a set of stock sized PSS's and found them to be too grippy and to ride harsher So I switched back to PS2's and put the PSS on something else

Great tires for normal drivers but for people who enjoy a skid here and there on stock power/stock suspension, a little overkill

Rain performance is CRAZY good on the PSS's tho
__________________

M3 Sedan LCI - AW/Black - 6MT - no moonroof - no folding seats - RAC RG63 - clear bra by Omega Werks
smmmurf is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-05-2012, 06:49 PM   #48
LarThaL
Colonel
 
LarThaL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West Springfield, MA

Posts: 2,482
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post
I actually love my PS2's. I have a set of stock sized PSS's and found them to be too grippy and to ride harsher So I switched back to PS2's and put the PSS on something else

Great tires for normal drivers but for people who enjoy a skid here and there on stock power/stock suspension, a little overkill

Rain performance is CRAZY good on the PSS's tho
Funny how different our perceptions can be. I find the stock sized PSS to be just right in the balance between grip and being able to get the back end out when you really want to. With the PSS, you have to actually try, however. With the Contis, it required no real effort at all.
__________________
Precision tool: 2011 BMW ///M3
Sledgehammer: 2014 Audi S6

LarThaL is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2012, 04:51 PM   #49
ObviousMan
Enlisted Member
 
ObviousMan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 35
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3RD View Post
I guess they did this since the difference is ranging from $350- to almost $500- for a set. Also they know that some of us will change them if we are going to track.

I for one am happy with mine and as a rule will change to Michelin once I need new tires.

you can compare the three sets on TireRack for those of you not familiar I have some screen shots here.
Fail on the comparison...the Pilot Sport Cup is a completely different animal than the new Pilot Super Sport. Sport Cup is much more of a dedicated track tire.
ObviousMan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2012, 07:13 PM   #50
bigjae1976
Takes threads off topic...daily
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 5,221
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
The Conti's are likely a cost saver for BMW. The PDC cars all have conti's on them. I asked about it and they said it was a cost issue since they spend over $1M/yr on tires. So they run the Conti's for the most part instead of the Michelins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObviousMan View Post
Fail on the comparison...the Pilot Sport Cup is a completely different animal than the new Pilot Super Sport. Sport Cup is much more of a dedicated track tire.
Agreed. The pilot cup is an R-Comp with some grooves they call tread to make it DOT legal. The PSS is no where near that.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
bigjae1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #51
PINHEAD
Motorsport Passion!!!
 
PINHEAD's Avatar
 
Drives: E92M3/997.2RS
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 975
iTrader: (8)

I had the contis and took them to the track, not bad but not as good as the Michelins, even the PSS which I tried as well.
Most M3 owners wouldn't know the difference if they didn't look at which tire they had, who you trying to fool? Somehow we M3 drivers turned pro and drive our cars at the limit on euro delivery to find out the potential of summer performance tires? Yes the Michelins are better, but Pirelli Corsa is ever better yet. Unless you are driving 10/10, for fuck sakes it doesn't matter.

*rolleye*
__________________
PINHEAD is offline   Monaco
0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2012, 09:30 PM   #52
LarThaL
Colonel
 
LarThaL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West Springfield, MA

Posts: 2,482
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINHEAD View Post
I had the contis and took them to the track, not bad but not as good as the Michelins, even the PSS which I tried as well.
Most M3 owners wouldn't know the difference if they didn't look at which tire they had, who you trying to fool? Somehow we M3 drivers turned pro and drive our cars at the limit on euro delivery to find out the potential of summer performance tires? Yes the Michelins are better, but Pirelli Corsa is ever better yet. Unless you are driving 10/10, for fuck sakes it doesn't matter.

*rolleye*
Disagree. I found a huge difference between the Conti 3 and the PSS with regards to traction. This wasn't even on the track, but with moderately aggressive street driving. Probably about 7/10 overall. DSC interferes much less when on and there is more grip with DSC off.
__________________
Precision tool: 2011 BMW ///M3
Sledgehammer: 2014 Audi S6

LarThaL is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-09-2012, 12:02 AM   #53
PINHEAD
Motorsport Passion!!!
 
PINHEAD's Avatar
 
Drives: E92M3/997.2RS
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 975
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
Disagree. I found a huge difference between the Conti 3 and the PSS with regards to traction. This wasn't even on the track, but with moderately aggressive street driving. Probably about 7/10 overall. DSC interferes much less when on and there is more grip with DSC off.
then you should change your PSS for some Pirelli Corsa cuz PSS is shit compared to the pirellis
nah..better yet get the Trofeo cuz u know...M3 drivers are all F1 racers.
__________________
PINHEAD is offline   Monaco
0
Reply With Quote
      07-10-2012, 12:36 PM   #54
llis
octane chick
 
llis's Avatar
 
Drives: Ms
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Colorado

Posts: 1,125
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
2002 BMW 530i (fs)  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [5.00]
I agree, hated the Contis. Switched to Yokohama Advan AD08s and it was a different car. Seriously. Have ridden in M3s with PS2s and PSSs. Also much better than the Contis imho.
__________________

2013 E92 ///M3 ZCP 6MT Speed Yellow 2003 E39 ///M5
llis is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-10-2012, 01:21 PM   #55
smmmurf
Colonel
 
Drives: 2009 M3 Sedan 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pleasanton, CA

Posts: 2,081
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
The Conti's are likely a cost saver for BMW. The PDC cars all have conti's on them. I asked about it and they said it was a cost issue since they spend over $1M/yr on tires. So they run the Conti's for the most part instead of the Michelins.



Agreed. The pilot cup is an R-Comp with some grooves they call tread to make it DOT legal. The PSS is no where near that.
However the grip level delta between the PSS and PSC is closer than ever, and the PSS has better grip at street temperatures, which is frankly quite amazing
__________________

M3 Sedan LCI - AW/Black - 6MT - no moonroof - no folding seats - RAC RG63 - clear bra by Omega Werks
smmmurf is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-12-2012, 08:30 AM   #56
jamze132
Second Lieutenant
 
jamze132's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 X6M
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Wiesbaden, Germany

Posts: 257
iTrader: (0)

I have the Conti's on mine and my DSC is always engaging. I hate it but am scared to turn it off. Don't really want to hit a guard rail. If I were in the US, I wouldn't give a crap, but in Germany on the autobahn, I take some exits at a high rate of speed and need the grip, which isn't really there with the Conti's that came with my baby.

I do hear good things about the Conti ExtremeContact DW though.
jamze132 is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST