BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-29-2012, 01:38 AM   #1
EliteM3
Private First Class
United_States
2
Rep
175
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Morgan Hill, CA

iTrader: (0)

Coding DIY?

With all the configurable options on the car that have been spelled out in posts before, it looks like flipping bits on variables. With the right cable and terminal program, can't you or I do this ourselves?

Has anyone successfully done this on their own? Any DIY available? No disrespect to the coders out there, but is it really coding, or is it closer to modifying variable values?

Let me know, thanks!
__________________
09 Space Gray E90 M3 DCT: BPM (Stage 1, DCT and Servotronic) tune, Gintani Sport Exhaust, Dinan Intake
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 01:47 AM   #2
DJDeez
Got my license back!
DJDeez's Avatar
Canada
2
Rep
200
Posts

 
Drives: TransLink
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Surrey, BC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteM3 View Post
Has anyone successfully done this on their own? Any DIY available? No disrespect to the coders out there, but is it really coding, or is it closer to modifying variable values?
I found it extremely simple, as long as you can read and follow instructions; you can code. I would visit bmw coding dot com, I find it a great starting point and invaluable tool! Although referred to as coding, the end-user is doing nothing more than modifying variables.
__________________
aFe cold air intake system (stage 2) ▫ Agency Power cat delete/section 2 midpipes ▫ Agency Power exhaust system ▫ Beltronics STiR Plus ▫ BMW M style (ZHP) weighted short shift knob ▫ CIC iDrive ▫ Clutch pedal spring removal ▫ Coding ▫ Evolve-R tune ▫ Laser Interceptor ▫ LUX H8 V3 Angel Eyes ▫ pickyeater334 clutch stop ▫ Rear fog lights (2011 light control switch assembly) ▫ T3 Alpha laser gun protection ▫ Turner Motorsport power pulley kit
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 08:27 AM   #3
Boostin FD
Lieutenant Colonel
Boostin FD's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
1,567
Posts

 
Drives: F82 M4
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St. Louis

iTrader: (2)

Did mine myself too... However, you won't find any DIY or info on this forum... otherwise, how would most of the sponsors make money. There's an another forum just for coding and it's very simple if you can follow instructions.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
Singletrack's Avatar
United_States
43
Rep
3,820
Posts

 
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 12 AW X5d
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteM3 View Post
With all the configurable options on the car that have been spelled out in posts before, it looks like flipping bits on variables. With the right cable and terminal program, can't you or I do this ourselves?

Has anyone successfully done this on their own? Any DIY available? No disrespect to the coders out there, but is it really coding, or is it closer to modifying variable values?

Let me know, thanks!
Google "bmw coding" and you will find a bunch of info here and on other sites.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 10:41 AM   #5
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
Singletrack's Avatar
United_States
43
Rep
3,820
Posts

 
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 12 AW X5d
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostin FD View Post
Did mine myself too... However, you won't find any DIY or info on this forum... otherwise, how would most of the sponsors make money. There's an another forum just for coding and it's very simple if you can follow instructions.
There is a whole coding section on the 3 series forum.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
Boostin FD
Lieutenant Colonel
Boostin FD's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
1,567
Posts

 
Drives: F82 M4
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St. Louis

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
There is a whole coding section on the 3 series forum.
I know... but it's still related to this forum and you won't get as much as on the forum dedicated for BMW coding.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 11:03 AM   #7
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
Singletrack's Avatar
United_States
43
Rep
3,820
Posts

 
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 12 AW X5d
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostin FD View Post
I know... but it's still related to this forum and you won't get as much as on the forum dedicated for BMW coding.
That seems obvious to me : )

Have fun!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #8
tlp
Colonel
tlp's Avatar
United_States
70
Rep
2,064
Posts

 
Drives: '11 e92 M3 SG/FR
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 BMW e92 M3  [4.55]
"Coding" as they say has nothing to do with coding at all. It's quite the contrary, your manipulating predefined values and variables in trace files and writing the values/settings back to the respective modules. The same is true for basic retrofits as well.

They want you to believe that it is some special black art with lots of voodoo in the mix. They want you to think that they are solely responsible for creating solutions when in fact they are just enabling/disabling embedded features that already exist.

There are lots of places on the interwebs to gather what it takes for a DIY.
__________________
My Coding Journal
Current - '11 e92 M3 SG/FR ZCP|ZCV|ZP2|2MK|494|415|6NR|752
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 05:32 PM   #9
EliteM3
Private First Class
United_States
2
Rep
175
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Morgan Hill, CA

iTrader: (0)

Thanks folks! This is what I thought it was, but since everyone keeps referring to coding, I figured I would ask.

I guess it's time to experiment!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #10
Merlosso
Banned
United_States
5
Rep
495
Posts

 
Drives: Results
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Germantown, MD

iTrader: (2)

Here you go:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=480261
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 06:16 PM   #11
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Mike Benvo's Avatar
United_States
98
Rep
4,813
Posts


 
Drives: Harrop SC M3 / E46 M3 / 7Turbo
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlp View Post
"Coding" as they say has nothing to do with coding at all. It's quite the contrary, your manipulating predefined values and variables in trace files and writing the values/settings back to the respective modules. The same is true for basic retrofits as well.

They want you to believe that it is some special black art with lots of voodoo in the mix. They want you to think that they are solely responsible for creating solutions when in fact they are just enabling/disabling embedded features that already exist.

There are lots of places on the interwebs to gather what it takes for a DIY.
For simple things most of this is true. Other feature activations/custom changes are more complicated..

Also this is for feature coding, not DME/ECU tuning, totally different ball game.

OP: Google is your friend , or if you want to skip the learning curve I can code your car remotely.
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #12
ILSMKU
BMW FTW
ILSMKU's Avatar
No_Country
37
Rep
1,915
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ///OC

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlp View Post
"Coding" as they say has nothing to do with coding at all. It's quite the contrary, your manipulating predefined values and variables in trace files and writing the values/settings back to the respective modules. The same is true for basic retrofits as well.

They want you to believe that it is some special black art with lots of voodoo in the mix. They want you to think that they are solely responsible for creating solutions when in fact they are just enabling/disabling embedded features that already exist.

There are lots of places on the interwebs to gather what it takes for a DIY.



And thank you very much for fixing my car today! Finally all of my features are back and working! Euro MDM is bad ass and I cant thank you enough TLP. Thank you very much for fixing my car, offering to help and just being helpful without charging me anything. Thanks Terry!

Last edited by ILSMKU; 06-29-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST