BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
rolloface
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-29-2012, 05:53 PM   #67
snowmants
Captain
 
snowmants's Avatar
 
Drives: '97 S14, '08 E90 M3, '11JeepGC
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Charlottesville, VA

Posts: 632
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
you kept trying to drift turn 1.... and the time you spun in oak tree, i knew you weren't going to make it before you even hit the apex with the amount of speed and the line you were taking going in. What group were you guys driving in that you were allowed to pass on the inside of turn 1? looked like fun!!!
__________________
'08 Alpine White E90 M3 DCT

"In the NASA 2012 rules just released, double clutch transmissions are officially +6 points."
snowmants is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-29-2012, 07:01 PM   #68
armyav8tor
n1smo
 
armyav8tor's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: North Carolina

Posts: 1,447
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmants View Post
you kept trying to drift turn 1.... and the time you spun in oak tree, i knew you weren't going to make it before you even hit the apex with the amount of speed and the line you were taking going in. What group were you guys driving in that you were allowed to pass on the inside of turn 1? looked like fun!!!
We had a blast, it was with the blue group. I was pushing the car safely over the edge so I can see where the limits are. Turn 1 is a great place to do that because of the runoff. I wasn't trying to drift though because I wanted to keep pace with the rest of the group. The oak tree spin was fun, I actually had it under control until the very end when I got on the gas a little too early. The hogpen spin though was a little unexpected, should not have lifted as much as I did.

Spin at 21:15
armyav8tor is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-29-2012, 08:35 PM   #69
snowmants
Captain
 
snowmants's Avatar
 
Drives: '97 S14, '08 E90 M3, '11JeepGC
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Charlottesville, VA

Posts: 632
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
that was a great spin!
hogpen is a popular place for spins. Once you go in you can't lift. You just have to judge how much speed you can handle because if you lift once you are in going downhill you are going off I am always a bit tentative at hog pen.
__________________
'08 Alpine White E90 M3 DCT

"In the NASA 2012 rules just released, double clutch transmissions are officially +6 points."
snowmants is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-30-2012, 02:32 PM   #70
armyav8tor
n1smo
 
armyav8tor's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: North Carolina

Posts: 1,447
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmants View Post
that was a great spin!
hogpen is a popular place for spins. Once you go in you can't lift. You just have to judge how much speed you can handle because if you lift once you are in going downhill you are going off I am always a bit tentative at hog pen.
The good part is that there's plenty of runoffs at hog pen also. I know better now than to even think about lifting through there but at least I already got my spin in. So I've spun at 2 corners so far, only 15 more to go!

Last edited by armyav8tor; 05-30-2012 at 02:56 PM.
armyav8tor is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #71
IS350
IS350 to IS-F, now M3 :)
 
IS350's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 (E92)
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: South Carolina

Posts: 379
iTrader: (0)

I'm making my debut at VIR or ANY real road coarse July 2nd and 3rd. I'll admit, the spins make me a bit uneasy. Will start really slow in the novice group of course. Any basic tips for the course any of you would recommend would be ideal. Also, as a novice, how critical is it that I upgrade my brake fluid?
Thx!
IS350 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-21-2012, 05:52 AM   #72
armyav8tor
n1smo
 
armyav8tor's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: North Carolina

Posts: 1,447
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IS350 View Post
I'm making my debut at VIR or ANY real road coarse July 2nd and 3rd. I'll admit, the spins make me a bit uneasy. Will start really slow in the novice group of course. Any basic tips for the course any of you would recommend would be ideal. Also, as a novice, how critical is it that I upgrade my brake fluid?
Thx!
I recommend watching videos to see the do's and don'ts. There's a really good video of an Audi R8 crashing going up the climbing esses on Youtube. Just search R8 VIR crash. As long as you have respect for the track, you'll be fine. If you don't plan on going faster than 2:30 around the track, you can go with stock pads and fluids. Once you dip down into the 2:20s, you'll probably want to upgrade your pads.
armyav8tor is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-21-2012, 07:08 AM   #73
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Martin_D's Avatar
 
Drives: Ford Super Duty
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC

Posts: 1,792
iTrader: (34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS350 View Post
I'm making my debut at VIR or ANY real road coarse July 2nd and 3rd. I'll admit, the spins make me a bit uneasy. Will start really slow in the novice group of course. Any basic tips for the course any of you would recommend would be ideal. Also, as a novice, how critical is it that I upgrade my brake fluid?
Thx!
First time I would listen to your instructor...
Martin_D is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-21-2012, 09:39 AM   #74
von_zoom
Captain
 
von_zoom's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Z06
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Carolina

Posts: 915
iTrader: (0)

Take advantage from the advice provided by your instructor, and have fun. Your car should be fine as is if this is the first track event you have participated in. Just be sure and have it tech inspected BEFORE you leave for the track. Do not be afraid to ask questions, from specific track issues to general HPDE topics. If you have time, look for me, I will be there and would be nice to meet you. I drive a white E92, number 711. I will be easy to fine.
See you there,
vz
__________________


Previous Track Toy
von_zoom is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-28-2012, 02:44 PM   #75
IS350
IS350 to IS-F, now M3 :)
 
IS350's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 (E92)
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: South Carolina

Posts: 379
iTrader: (0)

Thanks for all the comments! Not to overthink, but I'm hearing the stock brake fluid overheats quickly? This is the outline of driving, looks like just 2 30 minute sessions on the track in Novice and an open driving session. Thoughts?
My biggest concern, will I have a brake fade warning if they start to overheat?
http://www.chinmotorsports.com/forms/469_pdfSch.pdf

This is a comment from someone who works with those at M-school:

I can tell you that we use stock vehicles (1M, M3 & M5) for our Advanced M Schools at VIR. By the end of the 2nd day, they will need new brakes. I would classify most of the participants for that school as being Advanced, with a good amount of track experience.

Keep in mind, the maintenance coverage for any items that could incur increased wear from tracking the vehicle could be denied (i.e. they won’t allow you to have new brakes installed every week). There is an exclusion listed for this in the Service and Warranty Manual.
IS350 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-28-2012, 02:56 PM   #76
checkmate
Major
 
checkmate's Avatar
 
Drives: AW M3 E90
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bel Air, MD

Posts: 1,315
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS350 View Post
Thanks for all the comments! Not to overthink, but I'm hearing the stock brake fluid overheats quickly? This is the outline of driving, looks like just 2 30 minute sessions on the track in Novice and an open driving session. Thoughts?
My biggest concern, will I have a brake fade warning if they start to overheat?
http://www.chinmotorsports.com/forms/469_pdfSch.pdf

This is a comment from someone who works with those at M-school:

I can tell you that we use stock vehicles (1M, M3 & M5) for our Advanced M Schools at VIR. By the end of the 2nd day, they will need new brakes. I would classify most of the participants for that school as being Advanced, with a good amount of track experience.

Keep in mind, the maintenance coverage for any items that could incur increased wear from tracking the vehicle could be denied (i.e. they won’t allow you to have new brakes installed every week). There is an exclusion listed for this in the Service and Warranty Manual.
I changed my stock brake fluid to Motul RBF600 and the car/brakes were excellent throughout the 4 sessions @ VIR. Definitely change the brake fluid if nothing else.

Considering its your first time..try to enjoy yourself and considering the heat...stay hydrated.
__________________
2011 Alpine White/Fox Red E90 M3. Sunroof Delete/DCT/No power seats/Square Apex ARC8s+ PSS /ACM Exhaust Mod+ EAS Tips

checkmate is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-28-2012, 03:24 PM   #77
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
 
AMPowerJ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Blythewood, SC

Posts: 2,516
iTrader: (9)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_D View Post
First time I would listen to your instructor...
Just make sure when your instructor asks you what you would like to learn/do on the track just tell him/her, "I am here to F#$K shit up!" They love that.
__________________

Current: 2015 F80 M3 (SS, Full Black Interior, 6MT, LED, Adaptive, 19's) - On Order - 10/28 PCD
Previous: 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
AMPowerJ is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #78
von_zoom
Captain
 
von_zoom's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Z06
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Carolina

Posts: 915
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS350 View Post
Thanks for all the comments! Not to overthink, but I'm hearing the stock brake fluid overheats quickly? This is the outline of driving, looks like just 2 30 minute sessions on the track in Novice and an open driving session. Thoughts?
My biggest concern, will I have a brake fade warning if they start to overheat?
http://www.chinmotorsports.com/forms/469_pdfSch.pdf

.
Assume that you are talking about the Chin Event at VIR. If so, the Novice , Green, group will have four (4) sessions of 30 min. each, on Mon and Tue. You will get a lot of driving in. Stop worring about your brakes. I will be very surprised if you have any problems unless you have a sub standard M3.
vz
__________________


Previous Track Toy
von_zoom is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-28-2012, 03:50 PM   #79
LiM3y
Major
 
LiM3y's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT

Posts: 1,248
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by von_zoom View Post
Assume that you are talking about the Chin Event at VIR. If so, the Novice , Green, group will have four (4) sessions of 30 min. each, on Mon and Tue. You will get a lot of driving in. Stop worring about your brakes. I will be very surprised if you have any problems unless you have a sub standard M3.
vz
Are those the ones missing a pedal?
__________________
LiM3y is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      06-28-2012, 03:55 PM   #80
von_zoom
Captain
 
von_zoom's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Z06
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Carolina

Posts: 915
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiM3y View Post
Are those the ones missing a pedal?
... and gloves
vz
__________________


Previous Track Toy
von_zoom is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #81
LiM3y
Major
 
LiM3y's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT

Posts: 1,248
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPowerJ View Post
Just make sure when your instructor asks you what you would like to learn/do on the track just tell him/her, "I am here to F#$K shit up!" They love that.
"I'm not here to f*ck about!" was another one heard "live" from a Novice in an M5 at VIR. True story.

You could also try the approach I used with von_zoom when I met him at first at VIR...I said "sit there, shut the f*ck up and I will tell you when you can get out!". It worked wonders for our in-car bonding!

Okay, I might have made that up. However, after our first session, he did ask me to drop him by the restroom as soon as we got off the track. [That's a true story]. Feedback is not always verbal...so I took that as a compliment!
[I wasn't sure what to make of that, but I did wonder if I would see him again!]
__________________
LiM3y is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      06-28-2012, 05:25 PM   #82
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
 
dcgolfdr's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 and a truck
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Arlington, VA

Posts: 1,021
iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPowerJ View Post
Just make sure when your instructor asks you what you would like to learn/do on the track just tell him/her, "I am here to F#$K shit up!" They love that.
+1
dcgolfdr is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-28-2012, 08:59 PM   #83
maxxfish
Private First Class
 
Drives:
Join Date: Mar 2008

Posts: 128
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS350 View Post
I'm making my debut at VIR or ANY real road coarse July 2nd and 3rd. I'll admit, the spins make me a bit uneasy. Will start really slow in the novice group of course. Any basic tips for the course any of you would recommend would be ideal. Also, as a novice, how critical is it that I upgrade my brake fluid?
Thx!
I'll be there instructing. If this is your first event, your brake fluid will be fine. I'll be there in my new (to me) Space Gray E92 M3, feel free to track me down and I'll give you a ride and we can F#$K shit up.
maxxfish is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2012, 08:47 PM   #84
IS350
IS350 to IS-F, now M3 :)
 
IS350's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 (E92)
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: South Carolina

Posts: 379
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxfish View Post
I'll be there instructing. If this is your first event, your brake fluid will be fine. I'll be there in my new (to me) Space Gray E92 M3, feel free to track me down and I'll give you a ride and we can F#$K shit up.
Thanks for the comments all, and congrats on your E92! Be great if either you or Von Zoom where my instructor! Have any of you who've run VIR ever noticed problems with stock brakes and fluid? I was researching the stock is DOT 4, and the aftermarket DOT 5, the boiling point doesn't appear terribly different, but I suppose every bit makes an impact?

Any other gear I DEFINITELY need? My cousin's hubby is in the Novice Group with a 911 GT3, he says the neck pad helps for the helmet rest, and eases pressure on the neck after lots of driving? Gloves key too?
IS350 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #85
maxxfish
Private First Class
 
Drives:
Join Date: Mar 2008

Posts: 128
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS350 View Post
Thanks for the comments all, and congrats on your E92! Be great if either you or Von Zoom where my instructor! Have any of you who've run VIR ever noticed problems with stock brakes and fluid? I was researching the stock is DOT 4, and the aftermarket DOT 5, the boiling point doesn't appear terribly different, but I suppose every bit makes an impact?

Any other gear I DEFINITELY need? My cousin's hubby is in the Novice Group with a 911 GT3, he says the neck pad helps for the helmet rest, and eases pressure on the neck after lots of driving? Gloves key too?
Don't worry about any of that stuff. There is no way a novice is going to boil his brakes the first time out.

You're fine without a neck pad, but gloves will be nice if it's super-hot and your hands get sweaty.

A novice in a GT3? Oh, sounds like fun! There's also a first-timer driving a Ford GT, hope I don't get those guys! Chin tends to pair students and instructors in similar cars, so it's likely you'll end up with Von or me.
maxxfish is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-01-2012, 10:59 PM   #86
IS350
IS350 to IS-F, now M3 :)
 
IS350's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 (E92)
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: South Carolina

Posts: 379
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxfish View Post
Don't worry about any of that stuff. There is no way a novice is going to boil his brakes the first time out.

You're fine without a neck pad, but gloves will be nice if it's super-hot and your hands get sweaty.

A novice in a GT3? Oh, sounds like fun! There's also a first-timer driving a Ford GT, hope I don't get those guys! Chin tends to pair students and instructors in similar cars, so it's likely you'll end up with Von or me.
Thx a bunch! I'm here tonight, hanging near my cousin's garage 3. Can't wait for tomorrow, do either of you have any extra oil I could buy in case I need a top off? Also, thoughts on track day imsurance? I plan to drive extra slow, it's the other guys I worry about, as this is my daily driver.
Thx!
Michael
IS350 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #87
IS350
IS350 to IS-F, now M3 :)
 
IS350's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 (E92)
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: South Carolina

Posts: 379
iTrader: (0)

Von Zoom,
Thx so much for a world of instruction, my head is still hurting trying to peace it all together, but overall, what a blast.
maxxfish, thanks also for the ride, outstanding!
I'll hope to post some pics and vids soon, should probably start another thread with the actual date of the VIR run, huh!
IS350 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:14 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST