BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #1
docsdoc
Private
docsdoc's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
72
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 M3 Vert
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

OS Giken LSD

Has anyone replaced their OEM LSD with an OS Giken clutch type LSD? If so did you dyno?
__________________
2012 E93 M3, Akra Evo, ESS Tune, AA Green Filter, MoFo Coding, CF License Plate Frame
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
kchu221
JDM whore
kchu221's Avatar
South Korea
45
Rep
3,021
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 Porsche 911 Turbo
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: los angeles

iTrader: (9)

i believe ive seen one person do it, but i dont think he ever dyno'd after!
__________________
2009 Porsche 911 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 10:53 AM   #3
docsdoc
Private
docsdoc's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
72
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 M3 Vert
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
i believe ive seen one person do it, but i dont think he ever dyno'd after!
I'm curious about the torque curve with the OS Giken.
__________________
2012 E93 M3, Akra Evo, ESS Tune, AA Green Filter, MoFo Coding, CF License Plate Frame
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 10:56 AM   #4
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
75
Rep
6,775
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (4)

OSG is top notch..had got one for my 335i but wrecked the car before installing..they do make one specific for e9x M3..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 10:56 AM   #5
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
THE TECH's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
13,121
Posts


 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Not sure how a LSD would change anything in regards to torque or power.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
docsdoc
Private
docsdoc's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
72
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 M3 Vert
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Not sure how a LSD would change anything in regards to torque or power.
I'm not sure either, but got this off their website: "The OS Giken Traction Control LSDs are much like other clutch type LSDs in that they offer the quick, positive response that some drivers prefer vs. a gear based or torque biasing differential..."
__________________
2012 E93 M3, Akra Evo, ESS Tune, AA Green Filter, MoFo Coding, CF License Plate Frame
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #7
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
THE TECH's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
13,121
Posts


 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by docsdoc View Post
I'm not sure either, but got this off their website: "The OS Giken Traction Control LSDs are much like other clutch type LSDs in that they offer the quick, positive response that some drivers prefer vs. a gear based or torque biasing differential..."
That just refers to the way the locking mechanism works in controlling the disks. Has nothing to do with power output on the vehicle.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 11:19 AM   #8
GIdriver
Major
GIdriver's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
1,353
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 E63 AMG-S
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Somewhere in Time

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Not sure how a LSD would change anything in regards to torque or power.
Apparently torque to the wheels can be improved. I admit that despite reading a bit about this, I do not completely understand it. Perhaps one of our experts can chime in. Straight from Dinan's site (Dinan's 3.45 differential for DCT M3's):

Dinan lowers the stock 3.15 final drive ratio to a 3.45, taking full advantage of torque multiplication for a substantial 9.5% increase in torque delivered to the road! The improved acceleration comes with only a minor increase in engine speed at cruise.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 11:21 AM   #9
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
THE TECH's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
13,121
Posts


 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIdriver View Post
Apparently torque to the wheels can be improved. I admit that despite reading a bit about this, I do not completely understand it. Perhaps one of our experts can chime in. Straight from Dinan's site (Dinan's 3.45 differential for DCT M3's):

Dinan lowers the stock 3.15 final drive ratio to a 3.45, taking full advantage of torque multiplication for a substantial 9.5% increase in torque delivered to the road! The improved acceleration comes with only a minor increase in engine speed at cruise.
Yeah but they are changing gears. Changing an LSD has nothing to do with the gear ratio.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #10
zsapphire7
Colonel
zsapphire7's Avatar
United_States
41
Rep
2,312
Posts

 
Drives: 08 e92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIdriver View Post
Apparently torque to the wheels can be improved. I admit that despite reading a bit about this, I do not completely understand it. Perhaps one of our experts can chime in. Straight from Dinan's site (Dinan's 3.45 differential for DCT M3's):

Dinan lowers the stock 3.15 final drive ratio to a 3.45, taking full advantage of torque multiplication for a substantial 9.5% increase in torque delivered to the road! The improved acceleration comes with only a minor increase in engine speed at cruise.
Thats torque to the road in the same gear. The dyno would read the same because tq is calculated for the engine. All dynos will calculate it based on gear ratios. Else youll get different numbers depending on which gear you dyno at.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #11
docsdoc
Private
docsdoc's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
72
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 M3 Vert
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Yeah but they are changing gears. Changing an LSD has nothing to do with the gear ratio.
Agree - However, the OS Giken LSD is mechanically different than the OEM gear-based LSD. That's why I was wondering whether the torque curve would be different. I certainly wouldn't expect any increase in peak torque, but maybe a peak shift in the curve to lower RPMs...or not
__________________
2012 E93 M3, Akra Evo, ESS Tune, AA Green Filter, MoFo Coding, CF License Plate Frame
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #12
GIdriver
Major
GIdriver's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
1,353
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 E63 AMG-S
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Somewhere in Time

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Yeah but they are changing gears. Changing an LSD has nothing to do with the gear ratio.
Yeah, I just saw the OS Giken site and realize that now. My mistake.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #13
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
THE TECH's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
13,121
Posts


 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by docsdoc View Post
Agree - However, the OS Giken LSD is mechanically different than the OEM gear-based LSD. That's why I was wondering whether the torque curve would be different. I certainly wouldn't expect any increase in peak torque, but maybe a peak shift in the curve to lower RPMs...or not
Yes, it is different. But we are talking about the way in which the LSD locks up which has nothing to do with changing torque or power curves.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 11:55 AM   #14
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
75
Rep
6,775
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Not sure how a LSD would change anything in regards to torque or power.
The OSG offers 100% full lock up as opposed to gear type LSD (Quaife, Wavetrac)..honestly I think the M3 diff does as well..because it too is a clutch type differential.. but the theory is more torque to the wheels less on drivetrain loss.

Unless you are spending life on the track this is a very expensive upgrade..and most will be okay w the stock LSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Yeah but they are changing gears. Changing an LSD has nothing to do with the gear ratio.
Correct..but most do go with more aggresive gearing in conjuction with LSD..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #15
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
75
Rep
6,775
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsdoc View Post
Agree - However, the OS Giken LSD is mechanically different than the OEM gear-based LSD. That's why I was wondering whether the torque curve would be different. I certainly wouldn't expect any increase in peak torque, but maybe a peak shift in the curve to lower RPMs...or not
The M3 stock LSD is NOT a gear type LSD..its a clutch type just like the OSG
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #16
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
THE TECH's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
13,121
Posts


 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
Correct..but most do go with more aggresive gearing in conjuction with LSD..
But they are mutually exclusive and the OP is asking about the LSD. LSD does not change torque/power curves. If we wanna start talking about gears, then that's a completely different subject.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #17
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
75
Rep
6,775
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
But they are mutually exclusive and the OP is asking about the LSD. LSD does not change torque/power curves. If we wanna start talking about gears, then that's a completely different subject.
Absoluetly right.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #18
docsdoc
Private
docsdoc's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
72
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 M3 Vert
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
The M3 stock LSD is NOT a gear type LSD..its a clutch type just like the OSG
my bad
__________________
2012 E93 M3, Akra Evo, ESS Tune, AA Green Filter, MoFo Coding, CF License Plate Frame
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 12:02 PM   #19
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
75
Rep
6,775
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsdoc View Post
my bad
Take it from me..stick with the stocker..its a great unit (if we had open diffs like on the 335i then yea)..doing LSD swaps is ever so tricky..we are talking about microns of tolerances..your installer has to be spot on..and the OSG make noises..you have to use OSG's gear oil..which is a very heavy weight oil... 80W-250
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #20
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
THE TECH's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
13,121
Posts


 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
Unless you are spending life on the track this is a very expensive upgrade..and most will be okay w the stock LSD
Agreed 100%. Complete waste of money otherwise.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #21
docsdoc
Private
docsdoc's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
72
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 M3 Vert
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
Take it from me..stick with the stocker..its a great unit (if we had open diffs like on the 335i then yea)..doing LSD swaps is ever so tricky..we are talking about microns of tolerances..your installer has to be spot on..and the OSG make noises..you have to use OSG's gear oil..which is a very heavy weight oil... 80W-250
It was more out of curiosity - I'm actually considering a swap to the Dinan 3.45 unit, but I came across the OSG while researching...
__________________
2012 E93 M3, Akra Evo, ESS Tune, AA Green Filter, MoFo Coding, CF License Plate Frame
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 01:29 PM   #22
Mbauer
First Lieutenant
6
Rep
330
Posts

 
Drives: E92 187outx3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: So Cal

iTrader: (1)

The only way the diff would make the car more powerful is if the differential offered less friction in its rotational assembly. Basically how much applied force does it take to turn the gears. The engine would still be the same but the drivetrain loss percentage would be less, so you would get more power to the ground.

The Dinan diff would be ok for a NA car, but would probly be too short for a supercharged car. Your also gonna be cruising a few 100 more RPMs on the freeway also. If its worth it is up to your own application and use.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:26 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST