BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (ALMS, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-25-2012, 06:18 AM   #89
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
238

 
BrokenVert's Avatar
 
Drives: Topless 135/Electric Boogaloo
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fahrvergnügen/NY


Posts: 9,995
iTrader: (0)

Only goes to reenforce my previous opinion...Maldonado is shit.

__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 07:05 AM   #90
escobar929
Brigadier General
61

 
escobar929's Avatar
 
Drives: M235i
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hollywood, FL


Posts: 4,303
iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
great race, awesome drive for Alonso

disappointing for Lewis but he prob should have gave up the spot knowing their history and sucks the pit issues continue

that gif is hilarious
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 08:41 AM   #91
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
Zimbabwe
58

 
xbook's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Northridge, CA


Posts: 1,538
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
In the MAL HAM incident, I think both were to blame, and HAM should have had a penalty had he been able to continue. He gave ZERO room to MAL in the first par tof the turn, and pushed him off of the track. As MAL tried to rejoin HAM gave zero room again, and pinched the apex of the turn, this forced MAL's car into the read of HAM's car. The result being HAM being pushed into the wall and being unable to go on.

this was NOT the smart racer move, and will cost him big as the championship goes on. The smarter move would have been to give way a bit and still bring home some points.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #92
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
894

 
E90SLAM's Avatar
 
Drives: A BBS WHORE
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: .


Posts: 61,160
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbook View Post
In the MAL HAM incident, I think both were to blame, and HAM should have had a penalty had he been able to continue. He gave ZERO room to MAL in the first par tof the turn, and pushed him off of the track. As MAL tried to rejoin HAM gave zero room again, and pinched the apex of the turn, this forced MAL's car into the read of HAM's car. The result being HAM being pushed into the wall and being unable to go on.

this was NOT the smart racer move, and will cost him big as the championship goes on. The smarter move would have been to give way a bit and still bring home some points.
HAM had been driving quite sensible and not in anger in previous races. Hope this is just a one time thing recently.

In contrary, we've seen a few anger moves by MAL, cutting cars across and intentionally crash his own car into others by anger.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 06:27 PM   #93
gary88
Ikea enthusiast
United_States
139

 
gary88's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 E92 335i
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago, IL


Posts: 7,989
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [3.91]
Maldonado is like a crappier version of Montoya.
__________________

garyhebdingjr.com | flickr | Instagram@garyhebding
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #94
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
189

 
UltimateBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MP4
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South


Posts: 3,287
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbook View Post
and pushed him off of the track. As MAL tried to rejoin HAM gave zero room again,
Here is an excerpt from the sporting regulations. I interpret it as meaning that it is the full responsibility of the driver rejoining the track to make sure it is safe. Which means Hamilton was under no obligation to make room from a legal context.
Quote:
FIA Sporting Regulation 20.2:
...Should a car leave the track the driver may rejoin, however, this may only be done when it is
safe to do so and without gaining any advantage...
http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public...09-03-2012.pdf
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 07:06 PM   #95
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
67

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NY


Posts: 1,431
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary88 View Post
Maldonado is like a crappier version of Montoya.
There's no comparing the two of them. Montoya was very, very talented in race trim, and pulled off some spectacular overtakes; remember him going around Schumacher at Interlagos?

Maldonado, on the other hand, has made some glaring mistakes in racing conditions, and has really only showed his ability when presented with a clear track, much like Vettel.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 07:54 PM   #96
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
Zimbabwe
58

 
xbook's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Northridge, CA


Posts: 1,538
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Here is an excerpt from the sporting regulations. I interpret it as meaning that it is the full responsibility of the driver rejoining the track to make sure it is safe. Which means Hamilton was under no obligation to make room from a legal context.

http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public...09-03-2012.pdf
Yeah sure from the rulebook, MAL should have stayed put and not rejoined, yes I totally agree with that statement. But, from the perspective of reality, HAM made a really bed decision to not give any room. What is better, being right or getting points?

Yay yay look at me, I am right. ... yeah dude, but you got stuffed into the barrier and are now 23 points behind the championship leader, good thing you were right.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 08:35 PM   #97
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
238

 
BrokenVert's Avatar
 
Drives: Topless 135/Electric Boogaloo
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fahrvergnügen/NY


Posts: 9,995
iTrader: (0)

The sites been on all day. Weird. Here's the report. Tell me what you guys think - I'm still not great at this and am open to criticism

http://sports-at-work.com/2012062423...rix-recap.html
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 10:11 PM   #98
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
894

 
E90SLAM's Avatar
 
Drives: A BBS WHORE
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: .


Posts: 61,160
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbook View Post
Yeah sure from the rulebook, MAL should have stayed put and not rejoined, yes I totally agree with that statement. But, from the perspective of reality, HAM made a really bed decision to not give any room. What is better, being right or getting points?

Yay yay look at me, I am right. ... yeah dude, but you got stuffed into the barrier and are now 23 points behind the championship leader, good thing you were right.
That's why I said both are responsible for the collision.
In hindsight, losing a podium and 3 points (P3 vs P4) still beats 15 points at any given day. And he "was" determined to drive "smarter" and "calmer" this season, and kind of achieved until yesterday.

Well, good to see drivers race wheels to wheels, but if they can do that and using their brains is another question.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 12:58 AM   #99
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
189

 
UltimateBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MP4
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South


Posts: 3,287
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbook View Post
Yay yay look at me, I am right. ... yeah dude, but you got stuffed into the barrier and are now 23 points behind the championship leader, good thing you were right.
This is a good point. I guess the grid just needs to anticipate Maldonado's red mist. You can't always account for everything though.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 02:18 AM   #100
johanness
Banned
36

 
Drives: 2008 Z4MC
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Seattle, Vancouver


Posts: 1,741
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo M3 View Post
Maldonado, on the other hand, has made some glaring mistakes in racing conditions, and has really only showed his ability when presented with a clear track, much like Vettel.
Hilarious
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 09:09 AM   #101
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
894

 
E90SLAM's Avatar
 
Drives: A BBS WHORE
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: .


Posts: 61,160
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.67]
.
Attached Images
                         
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #102
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
238

 
BrokenVert's Avatar
 
Drives: Topless 135/Electric Boogaloo
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fahrvergnügen/NY


Posts: 9,995
iTrader: (0)

If you want a fun dichotomy for Hamilton look at when, early in the race, grojean made the same move as Maldonado to move into 2nd. A much more professional drive by Hamilton in that case
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #103
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
189

 
UltimateBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MP4
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South


Posts: 3,287
iTrader: (0)

This has got to be the most awkward of conversations.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 12:20 PM   #104
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
189

 
UltimateBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MP4
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South


Posts: 3,287
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
If you want a fun dichotomy for Hamilton look at when, early in the race, grojean made the same move as Maldonado to move into 2nd. A much more professional drive by Hamilton in that case
I think the biggest difference is that they aren't 1 lap from completing full race distance then.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 12:26 PM   #105
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
238

 
BrokenVert's Avatar
 
Drives: Topless 135/Electric Boogaloo
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fahrvergnügen/NY


Posts: 9,995
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
I think the biggest difference is that they aren't 1 lap from completing full race distance then.
Ohh absolutely. I'm not making a point. That's why I called it fun!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 03:45 PM   #106
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
189

 
UltimateBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MP4
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South


Posts: 3,287
iTrader: (0)

Mark Gillan, Williams Chief Operations Engineer, had this to say when asked for his thoughts on Maldonado's incident with Hamilton.
http://pitpass.com/46660-Williams-European-GP-debrief
Quote:
Obviously the team were disappointed to see one of our cars sustain damage so close to the end of the race when we were showing good pace, but we respect the decision taken by the stewards. Both Pastor and the team have moved on and the focus is now on achieving a good result at Silverstone.

I interpret that as, "We got lucky with only a 20s penalty."
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 04:57 PM   #107
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
894

 
E90SLAM's Avatar
 
Drives: A BBS WHORE
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: .


Posts: 61,160
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Mark Gillan, Williams Chief Operations Engineer, had this to say when asked for his thoughts on Maldonado's incident with Hamilton.
http://pitpass.com/46660-Williams-European-GP-debrief



I interpret that as, "We got lucky with only a 20s penalty."
Also interpret as, fine, we'll give Maldonado another chance since he gave Williams a race win this season. Even though he damaged the car for God knows how many times for no reason!

hint: Maldonado crash on Hamilton after Q2 in Belgium 2011, and crash on Perez just a last month in Monaco during P3 practice session.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 07:09 PM   #108
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
189

 
UltimateBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MP4
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South


Posts: 3,287
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
Also interpret as, fine, we'll give Maldonado another chance since he gave Williams a race win this season. Even though he damaged the car for God knows how many times for no reason!

hint: Maldonado crash on Hamilton after Q2 in Belgium 2011, and crash on Perez just a last month in Monaco during P3 practice session.
Don't forget Melbourne, and Q2 in Montreal.

If you watch his car even at the start of Valencia, you'll see that he is swerving all over the place.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 07:17 PM   #109
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
238

 
BrokenVert's Avatar
 
Drives: Topless 135/Electric Boogaloo
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fahrvergnügen/NY


Posts: 9,995
iTrader: (0)

Reenforcing my opinion that Maldonado has always been shit
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 07:37 PM   #110
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
894

 
E90SLAM's Avatar
 
Drives: A BBS WHORE
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: .


Posts: 61,160
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Reenforcing my opinion that Maldonado has always been shit
Yep! For now he's in my "one time wonder" list.
one race win doesn't mean a lot.
__________________
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST