BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-24-2012, 06:31 PM   #155
Digital.James
Colonel
39

 
Digital.James's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NC


Posts: 2,610
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitchesbass View Post
I've got a 04 Ducati Multistrada.


Just got back from Europe last week and going through the Alps. Rented a 2102 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - now I want a new one.

A few from my latest trip last week with the new multistrada (love the engine in the 1200 )


US roads suck now
Since you like the MS...

Tell me US roads suck after you've rode this one on your MS
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 07:40 PM   #156
fitchesbass
Captain
11

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fairfax, VA


Posts: 902
iTrader: (1)

^ LOL Touche' - seen that story / video a couple times. My father's buddy has the 1200 MS Pikes Peak edition bike. Pretty sexy no doubt.

Sad thing about Pikes Peak is it's becoming more and more a totally paved road each year. It's no wonder records are continually broken...


Even living relatively close to West Virginia (closest I am to good / fun roads) - I can't imagine living locally to the roads near the Alps - they are just flat out amazing. There are so many roads and passes that are just outstanding I don't know how you could ever get bored. Or maybe I'm just still in a daze from my trip :P
__________________
IB ZHP E92 + 911 carrera project car
Previous:
E86 Z4M - Sold
E36 M3 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #157
fitchesbass
Captain
11

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fairfax, VA


Posts: 902
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterplan View Post
Would a 2 piece Dainese suit be of better quality than the Alpinestars kit I listed above? Something like the Avro?

http://www.daineseproshop.co.uk/product.asp?x=205

Bearing in mind I won't be doing track riding frequently. I'll be commuting and spirited weekend riding mostly.

As I enter the world of biking, I'm beginning to realise there's a lot more to it than just learning to ride!
That seems like a bad suit for use in commuting. At least that would never work for me with work clothes on underneath. If you are a lifeguard it could work though haha.

I have a Dainese leather jacket that I've been happy with. Alpinestars makes good stuff too though. You normally get what you pay for with the motorcycle gear... If you plan on riding for awhile quality gear is more of an investment that will hopefully last you a couple years. My dad has had a Schuberth helmet for a couple years (6+ years).... I had a crappy HJC helmet that had the shield mechanism break in a couple months of use. I'm not a gear expert... but that's at least been my experience so far. You don't always need the very best but sometimes its worth a little more to get something that will last.

GL
__________________
IB ZHP E92 + 911 carrera project car
Previous:
E86 Z4M - Sold
E36 M3 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 08:11 PM   #158
propkaPT
Private First Class
3

 
Drives: 2014 335i
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NJ


Posts: 198
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitchesbass View Post
I've got a 04 Ducati Multistrada.


Just got back from Europe last week and going through the Alps. Rented a 2102 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - now I want a new one.

My bike:






A few from my latest trip last week with the new multistrada (love the engine in the 1200 )



Passo di Stelvio was among the list of passes we did.





Top of Grossglockner




My dad's rented 1200 GS and my rented 1200 Multi



US roads suck now
Thats badass. Love the multi and hope to get one soon
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 09:35 PM   #159
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
143

 
954Stealth's Avatar
 
Drives: A Car
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bacon Raton, FL


Posts: 3,013
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekmoe
Been riding the streets for close to 15 years and IMO, this is one of the best street bikes money can buy, hands down. Triumph Speed Triple.

+1 I used to sell those.
I haven't had a bike in a long time but used to ride both a Honda and a Suzuki. Did a lot of trails with my 2 stroke dirtbike back in new England.
I'd like to pick up an old Superhawk or nice 1Kcc Ducati but nervous with the way Florida drivers are...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post
You know you're getting bacon, when you're cooking bacon.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 09:17 PM   #160
Motif
Gruppa krovi-na rukave
2

 
Motif's Avatar
 
Drives: Something loud and heavy
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tampa Bay


Posts: 196
iTrader: (0)

TS Debby can suck me balls! That twat waffle had me running to the parking lot checking the cover all night (i haz no garage for another 3 weeks) so in the morning, i let my baby indoors.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 09:26 PM   #161
48Laws
Captain
10

 
Drives: '11 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: East Coast


Posts: 607
iTrader: (0)

That video made the Multistrada look hot. Always thought they were odd-looking but, purposeful. I always preferred the Hypermotard.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 09:37 PM   #162
fitchesbass
Captain
11

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fairfax, VA


Posts: 902
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Laws View Post
That video made the Multistrada look hot. Always thought they were odd-looking but, purposeful. I always preferred the Hypermotard.
I call the Hypermotard the Hyper-retard. I can't figure that bike out...

The new multistrada looks better than the generation I've got. The generation I have does look odd from the front. From the rear and profile I think it looks good though.
__________________
IB ZHP E92 + 911 carrera project car
Previous:
E86 Z4M - Sold
E36 M3 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 09:45 PM   #163
48Laws
Captain
10

 
Drives: '11 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: East Coast


Posts: 607
iTrader: (0)

Hypermotard is for hooliganism. LOL. Plus, it probably awesome for urban riding like NYC.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 10:19 PM   #164
fitchesbass
Captain
11

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fairfax, VA


Posts: 902
iTrader: (1)

^ that's true. Although my cousin has a bike in NYC (Manhattan) and someone stole pieces of his shifter when it was covered and locked up. and he always tells me stories about people keying or messing with nice bikes. If I lived in NYC I'd want a POS that was fun.
__________________
IB ZHP E92 + 911 carrera project car
Previous:
E86 Z4M - Sold
E36 M3 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 01:05 AM   #165
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
43

 
Razzy's Avatar
 
Drives: N/A
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada


Posts: 424
iTrader: (0)

Oh Hai Guyzz!

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 02:17 AM   #166
Motif
Gruppa krovi-na rukave
2

 
Motif's Avatar
 
Drives: Something loud and heavy
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tampa Bay


Posts: 196
iTrader: (0)

What Racefit knockoff is that?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 02:50 AM   #167
Game
Major General
United_States
78

 
Game's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lockport/Chicago, IL


Posts: 5,098
iTrader: (15)

Came in here ready to see some mountain bikes
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 11:33 AM   #168
miiipilot
Captain
United_States
10

 
miiipilot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 TiAg 135i 6mt M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Cleveland, OH


Posts: 793
iTrader: (0)

Anyone on here ride a 2011-12 Honda CB1000R?

I have been looking at getting back in riding after a 2-year hiatus. I've been looking at a few different bikes:

Leading the list were:
2012 BMW S1000RR duhh
2011-12 Aprilia RSV4R APRC

But at 38, and having had 6 sportbikes, I am looking to get something more comfy and ride ability. Was looking at a cruiser. Don't flame, thought I wanted to look into a H-D VRod. Dealer network made that an easy choice to say FFFFUUUUUU.

Moving on...I am starting to warm up to the look of naked/streetfighters:

2011-12 Honda CB1000R This is my front runner atm.
2011-12 Ducati Streetfighter S <---little too expensive at $19000
2011-12 Aprilia Tuono 1000 APRC
2011-12 Kawasaki Z1000

Anyone gone from a full fairing bike to a naked? I am worried I will trade for comfort, but give in to the wind brutality.

Anyone have a 2011-12 CB1000R?

Thanks
__________________
miiipilot 2011 135i TiAg w/Black Boston 6mt M-Sport, Premium Pkg, Value Pkg
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #169
ddk632
Professional Orangeer
United_States
39

 
Drives: Bacon
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South Florida


Posts: 1,933
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by miiipilot View Post
Anyone on here ride a 2011-12 Honda CB1000R?

I have been looking at getting back in riding after a 2-year hiatus. I've been looking at a few different bikes:

Leading the list were:
2012 BMW S1000RR duhh
2011-12 Aprilia RSV4R APRC

But at 38, and having had 6 sportbikes, I am looking to get something more comfy and ride ability. Was looking at a cruiser. Don't flame, thought I wanted to look into a H-D VRod. Dealer network made that an easy choice to say FFFFUUUUUU.

Moving on...I am starting to warm up to the look of naked/streetfighters:

2011-12 Honda CB1000R This is my front runner atm.
2011-12 Ducati Streetfighter S <---little too expensive at $19000
2011-12 Aprilia Tuono 1000 APRC
2011-12 Kawasaki Z1000

Anyone gone from a full fairing bike to a naked? I am worried I will trade for comfort, but give in to the wind brutality.

Anyone have a 2011-12 CB1000R?

Thanks
I have always loved naked bikes, they are awesome and hooliganistic, while having more upright seating position than their hardcore sportbike brethern.

I know you mentioned price factor, but if you can swing it I suggest to look at the Ducati Diavel (of course I am biased) but it's the best of all worlds - sporty, comfy, and gorgeous. It's like a naked cruiser-y sportbike. I love my Diavel

Of those in your list, the Ducati Streetfighter is not that particularly comfortable but is an awesome machine,, although as you pointed out, it's expensive; the Z1 is a great bike and likely least expensive of the bunch, although I do not know about the CB1000R - likely these two are close in price. I've just never been a fan of Honda's as I feel they have no character, but that's just my personal opinion. They are still great bikes.

I've also previously had a 2001 Aprilia SL1000 Falco (bought used in 2004 or 2005, can't remember) right around the time that the first Tuono's came out. I don't like the look of the new Tuono's from the front when compared to the original ones, but no doubt it's an awesome machine and you can't go wrong with it.

So in order (price not being a factor) I'd say:

2011-12 Ducati Diavel (any model but Carbon Red is the fastest)
2011-12 Ducati Streetfighter S <---little too expensive at $19000
2011-12 Aprilia Tuono 1000 APRC

Then either one of these that you think looks better:
2011-12 Honda CB1000R This is my front runner atm.
2011-12 Kawasaki Z1000

But hey I'm biased so don't listen to me!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #170
mike the snake
Lieutenant
11

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sonoma County, CA.


Posts: 539
iTrader: (1)

I went from a fairinged Ducati 998 to a Hypermotard, and couldn't be happier.

I'm finding today that I'm not riding fast, just tooling around, lots of bumpy windy backroads, some in-town errands, and the 998 was just wrong in every way for that.

It DID break the wind, but I was rarely going fast enough for the wind to be an issue.

The Hyper you do get buffeted by the wind at freeway speeds, but everywhere else it is SOOO much more fun! I don't need the big power, and the Hyper 1100 has more than enough power for me, and it tears the backroads up like nothing else.

I was looking at the Streetfighter too, but just too much $$, and the air cooled Hyper is better in traffic, and more comfortable for sure.

Do yourself a favor and at least ride one, the price is right, and just about everyone agrees it's one of the funnest bikes to ride.

The only drawback is the small gas tank, 110 mile range, but there are aftermarket tanks available.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 04:05 PM   #171
Digital.James
Colonel
39

 
Digital.James's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NC


Posts: 2,610
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
I have always loved naked bikes, they are awesome and hooliganistic, while having more upright seating position than their hardcore sportbike brethern.

I know you mentioned price factor, but if you can swing it I suggest to look at the Ducati Diavel (of course I am biased) but it's the best of all worlds - sporty, comfy, and gorgeous. It's like a naked cruiser-y sportbike. I love my Diavel

Of those in your list, the Ducati Streetfighter is not that particularly comfortable but is an awesome machine,, although as you pointed out, it's expensive; the Z1 is a great bike and likely least expensive of the bunch, although I do not know about the CB1000R - likely these two are close in price. I've just never been a fan of Honda's as I feel they have no character, but that's just my personal opinion. They are still great bikes.

I've also previously had a 2001 Aprilia SL1000 Falco (bought used in 2004 or 2005, can't remember) right around the time that the first Tuono's came out. I don't like the look of the new Tuono's from the front when compared to the original ones, but no doubt it's an awesome machine and you can't go wrong with it.

So in order (price not being a factor) I'd say:

2011-12 Ducati Diavel (any model but Carbon Red is the fastest)
2011-12 Ducati Streetfighter S <---little too expensive at $19000
2011-12 Aprilia Tuono 1000 APRC

Then either one of these that you think looks better:
2011-12 Honda CB1000R This is my front runner atm.
2011-12 Kawasaki Z1000

But hey I'm biased so don't listen to me!
I'd say
Street Triple R or Speed Triple R
Monster 1100 or Diesel
Streetfighter 848 or S
Ducati Multistrada

If you're stuck on a liter sport bike, S1000RR
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #172
ddk632
Professional Orangeer
United_States
39

 
Drives: Bacon
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South Florida


Posts: 1,933
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital.James View Post
I'd say
Street Triple R or Speed Triple R
Monster 1100 or Diesel
Streetfighter 848 or S
Ducati Multistrada

If you're stuck on a liter sport bike, S1000RR
These are all great choices here.
I seriously love every one of them.

Speed Triple R = nice!!

Sounds like you may need to get a couple of bikes ........
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 05:46 PM   #173
Litos
Banned
United_States
56

 
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston/Pearland


Posts: 2,900
iTrader: (1)

i remember when i first saw my buddy's Buell - i looked at it and said "dude, that is ugly"

i was wondering why it didn't look like all the other sport bikes like Ninjas, CBR's and GSXR's....

i thought it was ugly, the headlight assembly made his 1125R look like a praying mantis. to me, it didn't look sporty at all....

3 months later, my buddy pointed me in the direction of the Buell XB12R and i fell in love...could have been the blue and white combination, but it didn't look as gross as his.

he said Buell's were considered "street fighter" bikes as well, but some of the bikes that ya'll mentioned above are really super naked.

what's the different between a naked bike and a street fighter !??!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 08:06 PM   #174
ibd2328
Private
1

 
Drives: 06 325i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: United States


Posts: 91
iTrader: (0)

Just a clean and simple R1... Few modifications
I rarely get to ride anymore (surgery), but hope to be able to some this fall.





And no I don't ride without leather or armour, anymore..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 09:33 PM   #175
XR_SIX
Bading-dong!
United_States
3

 
XR_SIX's Avatar
 
Drives: '11.5 E93 M3 AW, '09 R6
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Eagle rock, Ca


Posts: 268
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011.5 E93 M3  [0.00]
This is my DD. M3 vert is my weekend warrior. Kthxbye.

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 09:19 AM   #176
Litos
Banned
United_States
56

 
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston/Pearland


Posts: 2,900
iTrader: (1)

^^^ that bike is sick, but i'd go with red wheels.....
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:45 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST