BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-07-2012, 08:13 AM   #1
javistor
Private First Class
United_States
6

 
javistor's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Antonion, TX


Posts: 103
iTrader: (1)

H&R Coilover Set up Question

Folks, just saw this special from Turner Motorsport and want to know your opinions about this setup, seems like a good price... My E92 is not a daily driver but I will like to have a decent not-so-harsh ride, warranty will be out next month so let the Mods begin...

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-21...clearance.aspx
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 01:13 AM   #2
Endless619
DHS
Spain
98

 
Endless619's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Range Rover Black Edition
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Disneyland


Posts: 3,930
iTrader: (14)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by javistor View Post
Folks, just saw this special from Turner Motorsport and want to know your opinions about this setup, seems like a good price... My E92 is not a daily driver but I will like to have a decent not-so-harsh ride, warranty will be out next month so let the Mods begin...

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-21...clearance.aspx
I have this setup and for daily driving, commuting and an occasional track/SCCA day they are just fine. The $899 price has been raised back to $1199 plus tax and shipping. Plus add another $400 for EDC boxes and you are over $1600 new for these now.

H&R had some quality control issues with the E46 M3 coilovers and many owners of the E92 M3 don't like them because of this. But honestly I have had them on my E86 M and now my E92 M3 and they work just fine and are made well. So don't listen to the guys that think they are junk. To be honest my KW V3 were just as good but with more options. KW and H&R for me and my history of NSX, S2000, Z4MC, etc cars are an average suspension. I had the Top Secret, Aragosta, Ohlins, etc and those were much better but more on the track side of things and prices were double and triple of the KW and H&R setups. Quality was superior to KW and H&R. Don't get me wrong though, KW and H&R are the best bang for the buck, so to speak.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 08:07 PM   #3
javistor
Private First Class
United_States
6

 
javistor's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Antonion, TX


Posts: 103
iTrader: (1)

Thanks for your input, I've always had great experience with H&R in other cars and didn't think this would be any different... Not a fan of naysayers therefore I went ahead and bought the kit, glad you came on line for reassurance! Got 'em on Friday and can't wait to get them install, got lucky too and payed the sale price, another reason to be happy about it. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts!!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 07:02 PM   #4
Endless619
DHS
Spain
98

 
Endless619's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Range Rover Black Edition
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Disneyland


Posts: 3,930
iTrader: (14)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by javistor View Post
Thanks for your input, I've always had great experience with H&R in other cars and didn't think this would be any different... Not a fan of naysayers therefore I went ahead and bought the kit, glad you came on line for reassurance! Got 'em on Friday and can't wait to get them install, got lucky too and payed the sale price, another reason to be happy about it. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts!!
Nice... Good deal. The ride in my BMW Z4MC was a lot harder than the E92 M3. Although I was not a fan of the E92 M3 in stock trim I have to say its looking better. Still no Z4MC slammed look but a nice update.

Get some pics up too.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 07:14 PM   #5
javistor
Private First Class
United_States
6

 
javistor's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Antonion, TX


Posts: 103
iTrader: (1)

Here she is, love the ride and the stance, not to0 low...
Attached Images
 
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 07:56 PM   #6
Endless619
DHS
Spain
98

 
Endless619's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Range Rover Black Edition
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Disneyland


Posts: 3,930
iTrader: (14)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by javistor View Post
Here she is, love the ride and the stance, not to0 low...
Looks good. Good color here.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #7
marksae
Private First Class
2

 
Drives: ///M
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bay Area


Posts: 192
iTrader: (1)

How are your H&R coilovers holding up? I am thinking about getting this setup. I mainly street drive my M3, and am wondering how these coilovers will hold up over time driving on rough city roads.
__________________
09 E90 AW ///M3 6MT
07 LBP S2K
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 11:37 AM   #8
e92m3_f15x5
mmmmmm
Canada
9

 
Drives: Ducati 848 EVO + E92 AW M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto


Posts: 139
iTrader: (1)

The price is pretty amazing, I'm also interested as I don't need to do much adjustments
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 02:26 AM   #9
A1rjrdn23
Captain
United_States
19

 
A1rjrdn23's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 MB RED/FR
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Santa Ana, CA


Posts: 615
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via AIM to A1rjrdn23
Quote:
Originally Posted by javistor View Post
Here she is, love the ride and the stance, not to0 low...
Is this the lowest the coil-overs can go?
__________________
sup

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 04:16 AM   #10
Endless619
DHS
Spain
98

 
Endless619's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Range Rover Black Edition
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Disneyland


Posts: 3,930
iTrader: (14)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1rjrdn23 View Post
Is this the lowest the coil-overs can go?
Mine have a 2 inch rear drop and a 1.75 front drop.
They can go lower.

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 08:53 PM   #11
TRY...M3
Major
United_States
70

 
TRY...M3's Avatar
 
Drives: Depends on the day
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: PA


Posts: 1,432
iTrader: (2)

^^^^that looks fantastic. How do decide on the perfect height besides trial and error?
__________________
e92///M3
TT Lamborghini Gallardo
INSTAGRAM: CHRISTIANPERLES
Lamborghini-Talk.com: Christian.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 02:18 PM   #12
Endless619
DHS
Spain
98

 
Endless619's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Range Rover Black Edition
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Disneyland


Posts: 3,930
iTrader: (14)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRY...M3 View Post
^^^^that looks fantastic. How do decide on the perfect height besides trial and error?
Thanks, Horsepower Freaks installed them and it was trial and error with the height. I went back 3 times and they adjusted them for free. Jon and the techs did a great job and walked me through the install.

Very good customer service. I wanted the rear tire tucking just a 1/4 inch and the front I wanted a one finger gap because I was going with a lip. That way it would look normal.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #13
Endless619
DHS
Spain
98

 
Endless619's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Range Rover Black Edition
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Disneyland


Posts: 3,930
iTrader: (14)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksae View Post
How are your H&R coilovers holding up? I am thinking about getting this setup. I mainly street drive my M3, and am wondering how these coilovers will hold up over time driving on rough city roads.
They are doing fine with no issues and on top of an over 1100 mile drive down here. Like I said IMO they are just as good as my old KW V3s..

Whats funny is these just like my old H&Rs on my Z4MC are stamped with Bilstein all over them.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #14
Z K
Colonel
United_States
36

 
Z K's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco


Posts: 2,151
iTrader: (3)

Bilstein makes the shocks for H&R. H&R makes the exterior strut casting, suspension mount points and everything else.

I had a terrible experience with H&R coilovers which I mentioned in another thread. The suspension shaft had play in it after using it for 3 months which made all sorts of clunking noises. You could grab the shock body by hand and it would wiggle - that was how bad it was. H&R replaced it under warranty after much complaining and escalation. The 2nd shock developed the exact same problem within a few months.

I can understand suspension breaking over time but failure to even last 3 months!? I've had Megan Racing (crap) coilovers that last longer than that.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #15
Endless619
DHS
Spain
98

 
Endless619's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Range Rover Black Edition
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Disneyland


Posts: 3,930
iTrader: (14)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Bilstein makes the shocks for H&R. H&R makes the exterior strut casting, suspension mount points and everything else.

I had a terrible experience with H&R coilovers which I mentioned in another thread. The suspension shaft had play in it after using it for 3 months which made all sorts of clunking noises. You could grab the shock body by hand and it would wiggle - that was how bad it was. H&R replaced it under warranty after much complaining and escalation. The 2nd shock developed the exact same problem within a few months.

I can understand suspension breaking over time but failure to even last 3 months!? I've had Megan Racing (crap) coilovers that last longer than that.
Was this on an E46 or E36? I heard the E46 M3 suspension had a lot of issues which were addressed and fixed when the E86 M setup came out an the E92 M3 setup.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST