BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
Evolve Automotive
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-18-2012, 08:48 PM   #1
klammer
Brigadier General
41
Rep
3,245
Posts

 
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 07 X5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: chicago

iTrader: (0)

Holy shit is the gt3 4.0 fast! (So is the ZR1, see pg. 2) and it is such a beautiful carThis was taken today, it was super hot (95+) and as you can see I am desperately trying to keep up to no avail. Notice how, near the end, the other porsches play "interference" Great day but track was a bit slick, seemed everybody was searching for grip all day. Enjoy
__________________
mods: akra evo, dinan 3.45 diff, ess akra tune, dinan stg.3, Alcon bbk, HRE P40
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
Richbot
Colonel
30
Rep
2,129
Posts

 
Drives: Jerez Black E90
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: STL

iTrader: (2)

Fast car but the driver was at least a car width from every apex. Had to stop watching after he bollocksed the chicane
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 09:01 PM   #3
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
PhillyNate's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
2,038
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 Toyota GT-86
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I applaud your driving skill for even keeping him in sight. At some point he must've travelled back in time. DAMN that thing is quick.
__________________

"what I'm driving here...is an ending." Jeremy Clarkson
2014 Whiteout Toyota GT-86 6mt(Presently enjoying WAY more than anticipated)
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 09:14 PM   #4
CanAutM3
Brigadier General
CanAutM3's Avatar
Canada
72
Rep
4,373
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 DCT
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [4.75]
2006 Audi S4  [0.00]
You bet, that car is bloody fast . We have a guy in our club that owns one too (a white one). And does it sound sweet, I love the roar of that flat 6 , it sound pure race car.

It seems you're a better driver than him since you were able to keep up for a while . Nice driving .

Last edited by CanAutM3; 06-18-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 09:56 PM   #5
Alpha///M
Scrappy Coco
Alpha///M's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
356
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 M3 AW DCT ZCP ESS 625
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long Island NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
That porsche is on another level. Very nice driving my friend! I've never even been close to a track with any car I've owned, but this vid has me reconsidering. Does the track beat the shit out of your car? If you crash, are you covered? Just curious
__________________
Alpha///M
ESS VT2 625- GTS DCT Tune- Full Challenge Exhaust- Mode Carbon- Other Stuff
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 10:36 PM   #6
klammer
Brigadier General
41
Rep
3,245
Posts

 
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 07 X5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: chicago

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Fast car but the driver was at least a car width from every apex. Had to stop watching after he bollocksed the chicane
That whole beginning sequence was botched because he was too aggressive on the pass at the start, we're all practicing
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNate View Post
I applaud your driving skill for even keeping him in sight. At some point he must've travelled back in time. DAMN that thing is quick.
Thanks, it's a sweet car, his and ours
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
You bet, that car is bloody fast . We have a guy in our club that owns one too (a white one). And does it sound sweet, I love the roar of that flat 6 , it sound pure race car.

It seems you're a better driver than him since you were able to keep up for a while . Nice driving .
Thank you, it does sound great, which is one of the reasons I was trying to stay with him
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha///M View Post
That porsche is on another level. Very nice driving my friend! I've never even been close to a track with any car I've owned, but this vid has me reconsidering. Does the track beat the shit out of your car? If you crash, are you covered? Just curious
The track does beat up the car a bit, but seeing as I've got about 30k miles and closing in on 40 track days, she's holding in great. If I crash I'm out, but life's short, play hard
__________________
mods: akra evo, dinan 3.45 diff, ess akra tune, dinan stg.3, Alcon bbk, HRE P40
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 10:39 PM   #7
Porschefile
Major
Porschefile's Avatar
16
Rep
1,233
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Tennessee

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
If I crash I'm out, but life's short, play hard
Nice driving, great sounding RS, and +1 to that!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 11:07 PM   #8
Sauce
Lieutenant
Sauce's Avatar
10
Rep
528
Posts

 
Drives: Montego 135
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Studio City

iTrader: (1)

Great driving!!! A good friend of mine instructs and does professional racing got to drive one of these at Buttonwillow. The owner threw him the keys to see what it could do. He says that the 3.8L RS is one of the only cars to ever scare him, he was speechless after the 4.0. One day!!!!
__________________
KW V3's, Sparco Pro2000's, Vorshlag CP's, JB4, Heat Wrapped Raceland DP's, aFe stg. 2 Sealed Intake, Miro 111's, Hankook RS3's 225/245 (for now), Seibon M3 CF Hood, Turner Motorsports Alum. Radiator, Big Tom IC, BMW Performance bumper.

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 07:38 AM   #9
klammer
Brigadier General
41
Rep
3,245
Posts

 
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 07 X5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: chicago

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefile View Post
Nice driving, great sounding RS, and +1 to that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauce View Post
Great driving!!! A good friend of mine instructs and does professional racing got to drive one of these at Buttonwillow. The owner threw him the keys to see what it could do. He says that the 3.8L RS is one of the only cars to ever scare him, he was speechless after the 4.0. One day!!!!
Here's hoping
__________________
mods: akra evo, dinan 3.45 diff, ess akra tune, dinan stg.3, Alcon bbk, HRE P40
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 09:07 AM   #10
Bbenavitz
New Member
Bbenavitz's Avatar
0
Rep
25
Posts

 
Drives: BMW m3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Naples

iTrader: (0)

Nice driving! Do u know of the Gt3 driver was Ed Green? Looks like he was taking the typical DE late apex philosophy to stay out of the weeds.
__________________
2011 M3 Sedan
ZCP, DCT
Dinan tune, intake, pulley
265-35-19 Hoosier R6's
for the track with Carbotech pads
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 09:39 AM   #11
klammer
Brigadier General
41
Rep
3,245
Posts

 
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 07 X5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: chicago

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbenavitz View Post
Nice driving! Do u know of the Gt3 driver was Ed Green? Looks like he was taking the typical DE late apex philosophy to stay out of the weeds.
Forget his name (horrible with names) but Ed sounds right... and there's weed out there!!! Where?!?!
__________________
mods: akra evo, dinan 3.45 diff, ess akra tune, dinan stg.3, Alcon bbk, HRE P40
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 10:50 AM   #12
Ilia@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Ilia@IND's Avatar
111
Rep
2,210
Posts


 
Drives: F82 M4
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
Forget his name (horrible with names) but Ed sounds right... and there's weed out there!!! Where?!?!





Great video! Thanks for posting it.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #13
FrenchBoy
Major
FrenchBoy's Avatar
France
42
Rep
1,376
Posts

 
Drives: '09 E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

Nice driving. And really, it's pretty amazing that 4 door sedan in good hands can almost keep up with a fast 4.0 GT3...

A buddy just got a 2011 3.8 GT3RS and that car is truly amazing.
__________________

2009 E90 M3 | SG | FR | 6Speed | Akrapovic Evo | JRZ RS1 | StopTech Trophy | Cantrell Brake Ducts
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 08:25 PM   #14
klammer
Brigadier General
41
Rep
3,245
Posts

 
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 07 X5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: chicago

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchBoy View Post
Nice driving. And really, it's pretty amazing that 4 door sedan in good hands can almost keep up with a fast 4.0 GT3...

A buddy just got a 2011 3.8 GT3RS and that car is truly amazing.
I love my 4 door, and completely agree that it amazes me and a few others that this 4 door can be that fast. Might not be the nicest thing but I like the idea of passing and being faster than some more purpose built racecars out there. I like being the pest out there in his family's grocery-getter, but then again a GT3 can get groceries too
__________________
mods: akra evo, dinan 3.45 diff, ess akra tune, dinan stg.3, Alcon bbk, HRE P40
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 08:52 PM   #15
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
PhillyNate's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
2,038
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 Toyota GT-86
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
I love my 4 door, and completely agree that it amazes me and a few others that this 4 door can be that fast. Might not be the nicest thing but I like the idea of passing and being faster than some more purpose built racecars out there. I like being the pest out there in his family's grocery-getter, but then again a GT3 can get groceries too
And you may have just summarized why this particular M3 is so good.
__________________

"what I'm driving here...is an ending." Jeremy Clarkson
2014 Whiteout Toyota GT-86 6mt(Presently enjoying WAY more than anticipated)
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 08:14 AM   #16
adc
Brigadier General
53
Rep
4,151
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3 ED
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MD/DC

iTrader: (6)

The only time I was faster than a reasonably well driven GT3 RS was in heavy rain. Me on PS2s and him on cups or worse, he was scared to death probably and retired after a few laps...

Otherwise, nothing but clear air between us lol...
__________________

2009 E90 M3 ED
2014 X1 28i ED
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #17
OC3
Havin' a blast!
OC3's Avatar
United_States
53
Rep
4,819
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
I love my 4 door, and completely agree that it amazes me and a few others that this 4 door can be that fast. Might not be the nicest thing but I like the idea of passing and being faster than some more purpose built racecars out there. I like being the pest out there in his family's grocery-getter, but then again a GT3 can get groceries too
__________________

BRP CW13 1:56 | CVR CW 2:01 | CVR CCW 2:02 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
2013 E92 M3 Jerez Black DCT ZCP | JRZ RS Pro | Brembo | Endless | Volk TE37 18x10.5 squared | NT01/TD/ContiGrandAm | no other mods, nor weight shavings
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 10:05 AM   #18
surlynkid
Major
surlynkid's Avatar
10
Rep
1,051
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: League City, TX

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbenavitz View Post
Nice driving! Do u know of the Gt3 driver was Ed Green? Looks like he was taking the typical DE late apex philosophy to stay out of the weeds.
that is what i noticed in the vids although i was not sure when he was too far ahead. it sure seemed like he was hitting the apex too late.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 05:05 PM   #19
Bbenavitz
New Member
Bbenavitz's Avatar
0
Rep
25
Posts

 
Drives: BMW m3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Naples

iTrader: (0)

A well driven GT3 should really walk away from an equally driven M3, but we can stay close in the twisty bits. See my "on car" Hero video from earlier this year:

__________________
2011 M3 Sedan
ZCP, DCT
Dinan tune, intake, pulley
265-35-19 Hoosier R6's
for the track with Carbotech pads
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #20
klammer
Brigadier General
41
Rep
3,245
Posts

 
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 07 X5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: chicago

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbenavitz View Post
A well driven GT3 should really walk away from an equally driven M3, but we can stay close in the twisty bits. See my "on car" Hero video from earlier this year:

Great driving and a great best laptime. The hoosiers helped a bit
__________________
mods: akra evo, dinan 3.45 diff, ess akra tune, dinan stg.3, Alcon bbk, HRE P40
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #21
VSmotorsports
Lieutenant Colonel
VSmotorsports's Avatar
56
Rep
1,633
Posts

 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Schaumburg, IL

iTrader: (3)

Send a message via AIM to VSmotorsports
Nice I miss driving full track at the autobahn
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 10:00 AM   #22
klammer
Brigadier General
41
Rep
3,245
Posts

 
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 07 X5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: chicago

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSmotorsports View Post
Nice I miss driving full track at the autobahn
Love the full track! Btw, what kind of times are you guys running around the full track? 2:40's? Dare say somewhere in the 2:30's??? I have a 2:50 on video and think I may have run a 2:49 in there somewhere, just curious... love to see you guys out on track one day
__________________
mods: akra evo, dinan 3.45 diff, ess akra tune, dinan stg.3, Alcon bbk, HRE P40
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST