BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

GT Haus

12-27-2010, 01:03 PM   #1
Definitive
definitivecars.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: Elsa - 2015 F80 M3 - YMB/SS

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to Definitive Send a message via MSN to Definitive
Question Cracked front camera glass...

Hello guys,

How you all had a nice holiday weekend. Yesterday I noticed that the glass on my front camera was cracked, and there is now condensation in behind the glass...

I figure I have a few options but wanted to see what you thought.

1. Break out the glass and dry it and replace the glass with plexi and seal with silicone.

2. Let it dry out when it gets warmer and then put a piece of plexi over the glass and seal with silicone.

3. Spend $150 and a few hours of my time on a new camera.

I use this camera almost everyday when I park, so I dont hit my front on parking barriers. Right now it works but I cant see anything.

What do you think?

D
Attached Images

12-27-2010, 01:46 PM   #2
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Reliable Cars

I dunno about cameras and lenses too much, so let me ask, is it bad for the condensation to be there for a while? If not, I'd wait and do #2. If so, I'd go for #1. #3 seems extraneous considering the camera is perfectly functional otherwise.

Or just go #1? Would likely look cleaner. Gotta do it clean like the Definitive way.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 05:41 PM   #3
adc
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2009 E90 M3 ED

From the picture it appears the camera has a protection glass element in front, which is what's broken.

If this is true, then you can definitely replace it with a piece of plexi (or polycarbonate) because it plays no optical role (just protection).

Alternatively, measure out the diameter in mm and then google for a UV filter as close to that size as humanly possible (within 1mm preferably). Buy that UV filter, then apply a 3M clear film on top and then glue it to the front of the camera with clear silicone or some marine glue/sealant.

Just a few ideas for you...

2009 E90 M3 ED
2014 X1 28i ED
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
Budge
Professional Trophy Husband
Rep

Drives: '09 M3 Sedan DCT

I know this is an old thread, but I found this problem with my front camera. I'd like to know what option you went with and how you did it. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 10:55 PM   #5
Superfly_M3
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2011 M3

I would replace with either plexiglass or real glass. Plexiglass is easier to work with, just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 11:47 AM   #6
Budge
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly_M3 View Post
I would replace with either plexiglass or real glass. Plexiglass is easier to work with, just a thought.
Any idea how to cut plexiglass into a 14mm disc?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 01:36 PM   #7
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep

Drives: >1000 HP in my garage

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
2014 BMW i3  [0.00]
I've gone through 2 cameras. 2nd one broke within about 2 weeks of install. I've given up and just use it as is. It's blurry, but still works.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 02:51 PM   #8
Budge
Rep

Well I just released the left side of my front bumper so that I could reach the camera from underneath and remove it. And it turns out that the threaded barrel that you that you screw the two large rings on to hold the camera to the grill can be unscrewed. Inside this barrel is an 18mm glass disc that's held in place by a rubber o-ring. It's almost exactly the same size as a dime.

I contacted Visiontech America to see about ordering a new part. They are checking for me now. I'll let you know the part number (if it's available) and how much it is.

I may put a dime in there to protect the lens until the part comes.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 03:17 PM   #9
Budge
Rep

OK, the VTK100N is discontinued and the Visiontech no longer carries the replacement part. So I'm going to try to make a new lens cover using plexiglass.

Since the lens cover is about the size of a dime, I'm going to try to use a dime as a template to cut a rough shape. Then using the dime again as a template, I'll use a dremel tool and smooth the edges. I'll let y'all know if it works.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 12:00 AM   #10
Budge
Rep

Problem solved. You'll need a small sheet of plexiglass from Hobby Lobby (99 cents), a dime, an Exacto knife (or razor blade), and a dremel tool.

Simply trace a dime onto the plexiglass, then use a straight edge to help score a square that just touches the outside of your circle. Flip the plexiglass over and do the other side as well. Then use the straight edge to score the corners of your square (creating an octagon shape) and then do the other side. Carefully use your straight edge to help snap off the edges of your octagon. Next, use double sided tape to stick your dime to one side of the plexiglass. Then use a sanding bit on your dremel as slow speed and sand away the edges of the octagon until the plexiglass is flush with the dime. Remove the protective film from both sides of the plexiglass and drop in into the threaded barrel. Carefully replace the o-ring without getting any lube on the plexiglass, then screw the threaded barrel back over the camera. The whole process took about 30 minutes. Enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 12:26 AM   #11
Superfly_M3
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2011 M3

Yea, plexiglass (although its probably the most unfriendly material for the enviroment) can be shaped very easily. In fact, you can get different thickness of plexiglas at a "hobby shop" for extra protection.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 10:14 AM   #12
Budge
Rep

The stuff I got from Hobby Lobby was really thin...about the same thickness as the original glass. I would rather have used glass because the plexi seems like it will scratch more easily. But I don't know where to get a small thin sheet of glass or how to cut a precise circle in it. I wonder if I could get a sample of a broken smartphone screen and carefully try to dremel the edges to shape it. Gorilla glass that beeyatch!
Appreciate 0