BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs
 
PYSPEED
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-16-2012, 03:43 AM   #1
werly
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 MR E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 328
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via MSN to werly
First attempt: MR E92 Polising (pic rich)

I have always wanted to polish the car and this temptation grows just every time I spot some scratches/water spots/swirls after regular 2 buckets wash. I know they cannot be eliminated without proper dedication...

So this urge eventually led me to invest such time and effort into this different level of car detailing.

This is the very first complete polish from me so bear with the minor imperfection and rookie performance.

After washing and claying:


Column cover

Water spots on front fender


Below the door penal


Side mirror trim

Side mirror

Bumper with rock chips, did not polished out the chipped areas , well I plan to get a new bumper soon and so be it


Door handles and the area around it


Trunk



Let the work begins


Blue taping





And after significant amount of time for hands on and researching...
Big blue booger and finally done


















Column covers

Door handles


Sorry there aren't any 50/50 and very little of before/after comparison but I could say in person the car glows better in sunlight and reflects more at night. Overall I am satisfied with my first try but definitely there is room for improvement.

Some questions I can think of:

-How to polish areas under the blue tapes?

-What hand polish compound or applicator do you recommend? The Meguiar's swirlX 2.0 + generic cotton applicator worked for me but took me multiple tries and hard pressure. I could use something more effective and efficient.

-I used Griot's Garage polisher and Flex XC3401. Griot's is easier to work with and carry around due to lighter weight and smaller size but Flex can work with even small area that does not provide a full contact with the pad. Like this below the headlight housing

On that area the Griot's with Meguiar's 6.5" pad will just stop spinning and instead gives my arm a lot of vibration, but the Flex works fine on that. I do not know if it has something to do with the size of the pad because Griot's is 6" polisher?

-Another is for my friend: how to treat water spots/scratches on a full vehicle wrap?

I have always been OCD and anal about car cleaning and I am glad that this was done without any major mess up. Like other former pioneers in this topic, concentration and patience are crucial. Maybe to others this is pure labor, but to me this is my appreciation to the machine that takes me to places and gives me joy. Full respect to those professional detailers

Thanks for reading, all comments are welcome.
werly is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      06-16-2012, 08:40 AM   #2
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Martin_D's Avatar
 
Drives: Ford Super Duty
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC

Posts: 1,792
iTrader: (34)

Looks great really awesome job! For tape look into buying a more thin roll, which will allow you to get a little closer to the edges. Be safe though!

For the smaller areas below the headlights you can get extensions that will allow the pad to be 6" away from the buffer etc.

Auto Finesse Tripple by hand works great in all those areas by hand.
Martin_D is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-16-2012, 08:43 AM   #3
OTDet
Photography - Film
 
OTDet's Avatar
 
Drives: ///
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NNJ/LA

Posts: 87
iTrader: (0)

looks great!! good job man!
OTDet is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-16-2012, 09:12 AM   #4
jjw2331
First Lieutenant
 
jjw2331's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 JtBlk e92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Michigan

Posts: 321
iTrader: (5)

Looks amazing nice work!!!
jjw2331 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #5
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Templar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: One of the coasts...

Posts: 1,816
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Looks very nice! A little dusty though. Remember after polishing to do a nice rinse and a dry with maybe a leaf blower to prevent further marring, then apply your wax or sealant!
__________________
'11 BMW E92 ///M3 - ZCP and DCT
'13 Toyota Tundra - 4x4 Platinum CrewMax, 5.7l iForce V8
Templar is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-16-2012, 01:15 PM   #6
skins333
Captain
 
skins333's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E93 BMW M3 MR/'12 x5d SG
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Northern VA

Posts: 986
iTrader: (2)

Looks incredible, nice job!!
skins333 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-16-2012, 06:06 PM   #7
PicassoM
Captain
 
PicassoM's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NJ

Posts: 927
iTrader: (0)

Wow!!!!!
__________________

2007 Porsche 911 Turbo
1998 M Roadster
2011 E90 M3 (sold)

MY Euro-Delivery Experience
PicassoM is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-16-2012, 10:43 PM   #8
flipm3
E46 + E90
 
Drives: E46 M3 + E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Illinois

Posts: 2,772
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Nice work! Melbourne Red sure looks great when it's given some TLC

In my hard to reach places like side view mirrors, by the license plate, and door handles, I used AF Rejuvenate and AF Tripple by hand. It sure works wonders!
__________________
E90 M3 DCT|Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth | My Build Thread
E46 M3 6MT|Jet Black . Black Nappa Leather | My Build Thread
flipm3 is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      06-17-2012, 01:03 AM   #9
werly
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 MR E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 328
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via MSN to werly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_D View Post
Looks great really awesome job! For tape look into buying a more thin roll, which will allow you to get a little closer to the edges. Be safe though!

For the smaller areas below the headlights you can get extensions that will allow the pad to be 6" away from the buffer etc.

Auto Finesse Tripple by hand works great in all those areas by hand.
Thanks Martin! This time I was ripping the blue tapes into half to cover the gaps. To think about it now I can't believe how patient I was at that time...

Extension is something I haven't heard. How does it work if you don't mind elaborate on it. I did however get suggestion like checking if there is a washer behind the back plate, which I have yet to explored on the griot's garage...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTDetailer View Post
looks great!! good job man!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjw2331 View Post
Looks amazing nice work!!!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Looks very nice! A little dusty though. Remember after polishing to do a nice rinse and a dry with maybe a leaf blower to prevent further marring, then apply your wax or sealant!
Yeah I realize that also but pictures were not taken right after the sealant and wax. At least its good to know that dust and other contaminants aren't going to stick onto the paint that easily

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins333 View Post
Looks incredible, nice job!!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicassoM View Post
Wow!!!!!
You also have a MR? then you should do it also. It would be so fulfilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipm3 View Post
Nice work! Melbourne Red sure looks great when it's given some TLC

In my hard to reach places like side view mirrors, by the license plate, and door handles, I used AF Rejuvenate and AF Tripple by hand. It sure works wonders!
I'll be sure to look into those, thanks!
werly is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      06-17-2012, 01:32 AM   #10
werly
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 MR E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 328
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via MSN to werly
And I did accidentally got the polishing compound onto the rubber trim but I could not take it off with isopropyl alcohol already. Am I destined to live with it forever?
werly is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      06-17-2012, 04:18 AM   #11
thedrknows
Captain
 
thedrknows's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: OKC

Posts: 608
iTrader: (17)

I love the mods you have done. I would not do the rear wing, but everything else is perfect. I'm really liking the hood!
__________________

Current - 2010 135i LMB
SOLD - 2012 M3 MR
SOLD - 2008 M3 JZB
thedrknows is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-17-2012, 07:51 AM   #12
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Martin_D's Avatar
 
Drives: Ford Super Duty
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC

Posts: 1,792
iTrader: (34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by werly View Post
Thanks Martin! This time I was ripping the blue tapes into half to cover the gaps. To think about it now I can't believe how patient I was at that time...

Extension is something I haven't heard. How does it work if you don't mind elaborate on it. I did however get suggestion like checking if there is a washer behind the back plate, which I have yet to explored on the griot's garage...
Thank you!
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...n-buffing.html

You are able to really see exactly what you are doing with precision. And that car is toooooo shiny to not be using my products
Martin_D is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #13
PicassoM
Captain
 
PicassoM's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NJ

Posts: 927
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
You also have a MR? then you should do it also. It would be so fulfilling
I actually have the Griots orbital and just picked up their normal polish and wax. I really need to find time to do it. Last time I tried polishing it I felt like I was doing something wrong so i just did the hood and called it quits. The polish I was using last time didn't seem to do anything so i just ordered griots polish so I can follow their instructional video. Never had a problem waxing, just polishing is completely new to me and I don't want to fk up the paint.
__________________

2007 Porsche 911 Turbo
1998 M Roadster
2011 E90 M3 (sold)

MY Euro-Delivery Experience
PicassoM is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-17-2012, 12:20 PM   #14
positiveions
Lieutenant General
 
positiveions's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 MKV JETTA 2.5 & E90 M3 :)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Verne, CA

Posts: 10,462
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via MSN to positiveions Send a message via Yahoo to positiveions
Quote:
Originally Posted by PicassoM View Post
I really need to find time to do it. Last time I tried polishing it I felt like I was doing something wrong so i just did the hood and called it quits. The polish I was using last time didn't seem to do anything so i just ordered griots polish so I can follow their instructional video.
I don't really care for Griot's products. I'd rather stick with something else, for a starter, such as Meguiar's professional line. Easy to work with.
If you want to step it up, either Chemical Guys, menzerna, etc...

Detailing a car is never easy. It takes time. And you can't hurry any of the steps. It took me about 5 days to do mine; due to the fact I work at night and I find the time to do it after work. Thank God I have a daily driver; which is a jetta.

There are some videos on youtube. There are some good ones, and bad ones. You have to keep in mind that a polish must be really broken down. And to accomplish that, you start low with a buffer, like speed 1, and build it up slowly to speed 3. You'll see that the polish breaking down.

The end result will be similar to Op's car. Good job OP.
positiveions is offline   Lebanon
0
Reply With Quote
      06-17-2012, 07:49 PM   #15
PicassoM
Captain
 
PicassoM's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NJ

Posts: 927
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatrach73 View Post
I don't really care for Griot's products. I'd rather stick with something else, for a starter, such as Meguiar's professional line. Easy to work with.
If you want to step it up, either Chemical Guys, menzerna, etc...

Detailing a car is never easy. It takes time. And you can't hurry any of the steps. It took me about 5 days to do mine; due to the fact I work at night and I find the time to do it after work. Thank God I have a daily driver; which is a jetta.

There are some videos on youtube. There are some good ones, and bad ones. You have to keep in mind that a polish must be really broken down. And to accomplish that, you start low with a buffer, like speed 1, and build it up slowly to speed 3. You'll see that the polish breaking down.

The end result will be similar to Op's car. Good job OP.
the griots orbit has 5 speeds, but honestly even the slow seems way too fast.
__________________

2007 Porsche 911 Turbo
1998 M Roadster
2011 E90 M3 (sold)

MY Euro-Delivery Experience
PicassoM is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #16
Porschefile
Major
 
Porschefile's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Tennessee

Posts: 1,232
iTrader: (6)

Looks great, makes me want to polish my MR car. So shiny.
Porschefile is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:33 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST