BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
Strasse Wheels
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-10-2012, 01:33 PM   #23
italyix
Lieutenant
United_States
6

 
italyix's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bay Area


Posts: 574
iTrader: (3)

I just bought the TMS subframe bushings, the delrin encased aluminum ones, along with their diff bushings. I can report back once they are installed.

Also, TMS made if very clear on the phone that running the stiffer engine and tranny mounts will make for a very noisy rides far as NVH goes. They did not recommend those for a DD.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #24
klammer
Brigadier General
39

 
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 07 X5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: chicago


Posts: 3,244
iTrader: (0)

Am very interested in this (subframe mounts) as am planning on replacing mine at the end of the season or maybe sooner. Planning on switching to 18's to soften the blow of the new subframe mounts. Eagerly anticipating some feedback from those making the switch. Never launch nor plan on launching the car, just dual duty, track/commuter duties...
__________________
mods: akra evo, dinan 3.45 diff, ess akra tune, dinan stg.3, Alcon bbk, HRE P40
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #25
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
43

 
Singletrack's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 12 AW X5d
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA


Posts: 3,817
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
Eagerly anticipating some feedback from those making the switch.
Me too.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 09:33 AM   #26
flipm3
E46 + E90
Philippines
43

 
Drives: E46 M3 + E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Illinois


Posts: 2,781
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Good discussion here.

On another note, AKG Motorsport makes a 75D Poly Subframe Bushing for all E90s.

They haven't broken into the E9X market as much, but they are well known in the E30, E36, and E46 crowd. Known for their racing and street products.

Forum sponsor, VS Motorsports, is an authorized dealer for them. Maybe they can share some information about them. They also just installed the solid TMS bushings and mounts in their GTS4 E92.
__________________
E90 M3 DCT|Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth | My Build Thread
E46 M3 6MT|Jet Black . Black Nappa Leather | My Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 10:14 AM   #27
Autobahn335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
27

 
Autobahn335i's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Luxembourg


Posts: 1,599
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipm3 View Post
Good discussion here.

On another note, AKG Motorsport makes a 75D Poly Subframe Bushing for all E90s.

They haven't broken into the E9X market as much, but they are well known in the E30, E36, and E46 crowd. Known for their racing and street products.

Forum sponsor, VS Motorsports, is an authorized dealer for them. Maybe they can share some information about them. They also just installed the solid TMS bushings and mounts in their GTS4 E92.
What does the 75D refer to? Is that a stiffness rating? How would those bushings compare to the OEM M3 ones?
__________________
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Íhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Powerflex Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 05:21 PM   #28
italyix
Lieutenant
United_States
6

 
italyix's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bay Area


Posts: 574
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn335i View Post
What does the 75D refer to? Is that a stiffness rating? How would those bushings compare to the OEM M3 ones?
75 Durometer, its a stiffness rating yes.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 08:40 AM   #29
HP Autosport
Lieutenant General
United_States
408

 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag


Posts: 11,397
iTrader: (29)

We have installed several of these for local racers and what we really mean by that is race cars. These solid bushings aren't meant for street duty at all because of the huge increase in NVH.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #30
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
74

 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC


Posts: 6,777
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
We have installed several of these for local racers and what we really mean by that is race cars. These solid bushings aren't meant for street duty at all because of the huge increase in NVH.
Thanks for chiming in Harold
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 01:03 PM   #31
Malek@MRF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
58


 
Malek@MRF's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3, E46 M3, F30, E30
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Irvine, California


Posts: 3,394
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via AIM to Malek@MRF
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
We have installed several of these for local racers and what we really mean by that is race cars. These solid bushings aren't meant for street duty at all because of the huge increase in NVH.
Thanks for chiming in Harold
That's a non m3 rear subframe.

The GTS has solid mounts, so does the new M5 (a luxury sedan).

We have installed these at our shop and the increase in harshness is very little, Especially on street compliant suspension and tires.
__________________

BMW PERFORMANCE SPECIALISTS. Suspension. Forced Induction. Brakes. Race Preparation. Service. Alignments.
OFFICIAL PARTNERS: Íhlins. KW Suspension. Brembo. AP Racing. ESS Tuning. iND Distribution. Turner Motorsport.
Facebook | Instagram | Yelp! | Flikr | Contact | YouTube
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #32
shendrick
Second Lieutenant
United_States
3

 
Drives: 08 e90 M3, 05 e46 zhp, 07 X3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Near Boston MA


Posts: 255
iTrader: (0)

The epic e46 subframe tear-outs weren't that long ago. Are you guys really sure that you want to head in that direction? Although it is possible that they reinforced the e90 chassis far better - I would guess that taking flex out of the bushings will put lots more stress on the chassis and accelerate sheet metal cracks and tear-outs. Check the Turner site for some nasty e46 vids that they use to sell reinforcing kits.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #33
klammer
Brigadier General
39

 
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 07 X5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: chicago


Posts: 3,244
iTrader: (0)

I have the TMS delrin subframe mounts and am just waiting for install. Will see if I feel any difference on street or track. As always, cautiously optimistic
__________________
mods: akra evo, dinan 3.45 diff, ess akra tune, dinan stg.3, Alcon bbk, HRE P40
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 06:47 PM   #34
bigjae1976
That's what she said...
78

 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI


Posts: 5,541
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shendrick
The epic e46 subframe tear-outs weren't that long ago. Are you guys really sure that you want to head in that direction? Although it is possible that they reinforced the e90 chassis far better - I would guess that taking flex out of the bushings will put lots more stress on the chassis and accelerate sheet metal cracks and tear-outs. Check the Turner site for some nasty e46 vids that they use to sell reinforcing kits.
Reducing the subframe slop is supposed to reduce the likelihood of the failure.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #35
HP Autosport
Lieutenant General
United_States
408

 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag


Posts: 11,397
iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malekreza11 View Post
That's a non m3 rear subframe.

The GTS has solid mounts, so does the new M5 (a luxury sedan).

We have installed these at our shop and the increase in harshness is very little, Especially on street compliant suspension and tires.
M3's will be slightly more sensitive with a couple more additional bearing style instead of rubber bushing.

Some 135 and 335i owners complaint about NVH going from oem to M3 mounts. If you are on a street suspension, why even do this in the first place?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 03:59 PM   #36
Malek@MRF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
58


 
Malek@MRF's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3, E46 M3, F30, E30
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Irvine, California


Posts: 3,394
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via AIM to Malek@MRF
Quote:
Originally Posted by shendrick View Post
The epic e46 subframe tear-outs weren't that long ago. Are you guys really sure that you want to head in that direction? Although it is possible that they reinforced the e90 chassis far better - I would guess that taking flex out of the bushings will put lots more stress on the chassis and accelerate sheet metal cracks and tear-outs. Check the Turner site for some nasty e46 vids that they use to sell reinforcing kits.
Reinforcing the sub-frame bushings reduces the chances of tearing the unibody, it does not increase it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
M3's will be slightly more sensitive with a couple more additional bearing style instead of rubber bushing.

Some 135 and 335i owners complaint about NVH going from oem to M3 mounts. If you are on a street suspension, why even do this in the first place?
The guys that I have done this for did it for preventive measures even though they use the car for track less often than most track toys. Harold, as you know, the subframe bushings cause a decent amount of catastrophic axle hop. In time, it can either damage the subframe mounts, or the unibody itself.
__________________

BMW PERFORMANCE SPECIALISTS. Suspension. Forced Induction. Brakes. Race Preparation. Service. Alignments.
OFFICIAL PARTNERS: Íhlins. KW Suspension. Brembo. AP Racing. ESS Tuning. iND Distribution. Turner Motorsport.
Facebook | Instagram | Yelp! | Flikr | Contact | YouTube
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 07:45 AM   #37
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
37

 
Drives: 335
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada


Posts: 1,747
iTrader: (1)

The Delrin sub frame bushing from TMS do make a huge difference in handling and are really well made and designed. The car hooks up a lot better and the annoying trait of the rear end are simply gone for good. The bushing do add some NVH but its comparably to less than 50% of what front camber plates add. I am running poly diff bushing and they do add back ground gear noise that would bother a lot of people. Have Cobb stage 2+ on 335i and I do not get any wheel hop and now have a hard time breaking traction at all anymore but I also changed out a few bushing in the rear to BMW motosports ones.

Last edited by Orb; 06-19-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #38
klammer
Brigadier General
39

 
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 07 X5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: chicago


Posts: 3,244
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
The Delrin sub frame bushing from TMS do make a huge difference in handling and are really well made and designed. The car hooks up a lot better and the annoying trait of the rear end are simply gone for good. The bushing do add some NVH but its comparably to less than 50% of what front camber plates add. I am running poly diff bushing and they do add back ground gear noise that would bother a lot of people. Have Cobb stage 2+ on 335i and I do not get any wheel hop and now have a hard time breaking traction at all anymore but I also changed out a few bushing in the rear to BMW motosports ones.
Good to hear, as am going to get the delrin subs installed in the next few weeks, hopefully before my next event and will see if there's a noticeable difference for me. Thanks for the feedback.
__________________
mods: akra evo, dinan 3.45 diff, ess akra tune, dinan stg.3, Alcon bbk, HRE P40
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 09:18 AM   #39
TX335
Private First Class
1

 
Drives: 08 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: DFW


Posts: 156
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
Good to hear, as am going to get the delrin subs installed in the next few weeks, hopefully before my next event and will see if there's a noticeable difference for me. Thanks for the feedback.
Let us know how it goes. Your car is a DD, right?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 10:31 AM   #40
klammer
Brigadier General
39

 
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 07 X5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: chicago


Posts: 3,244
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX335
Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
Good to hear, as am going to get the delrin subs installed in the next few weeks, hopefully before my next event and will see if there's a noticeable difference for me. Thanks for the feedback.
Let us know how it goes. Your car is a DD, right?
It is. My wife drives it to work everyday. Fingers crossed.
__________________
mods: akra evo, dinan 3.45 diff, ess akra tune, dinan stg.3, Alcon bbk, HRE P40
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 10:18 PM   #41
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
27

 
cvc 22349a's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SF Bay


Posts: 2,255
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malekreza11 View Post
That's a non m3 rear subframe.

The GTS has solid mounts, so does the new M5 (a luxury sedan).

We have installed these at our shop and the increase in harshness is very little, Especially on street compliant suspension and tires.
That's what a couple of 335i owners have reported on their cars.
__________________
2007 E90 335i, TiAg, 6AT, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, 6FL, HD
Quaife lsd, ETS fmic, GIAC s/w, Dinan intake/exhaust/oc, KW/M3 susp, Apex Arc 8, Mich PSS
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 01:03 PM   #42
Malek@MRF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
58


 
Malek@MRF's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3, E46 M3, F30, E30
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Irvine, California


Posts: 3,394
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via AIM to Malek@MRF
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a View Post
That's what a couple of 335i owners have reported on their cars.
Right on.
__________________

BMW PERFORMANCE SPECIALISTS. Suspension. Forced Induction. Brakes. Race Preparation. Service. Alignments.
OFFICIAL PARTNERS: Íhlins. KW Suspension. Brembo. AP Racing. ESS Tuning. iND Distribution. Turner Motorsport.
Facebook | Instagram | Yelp! | Flikr | Contact | YouTube
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #43
vinniechin
Vinnie
United_States
1

 
Drives: E93 Space Gray DCT
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern NJ


Posts: 174
iTrader: (1)

Hey all,

Very interested if there are any updates to this? Should the diff bushings be done too in conjunction with the subframe or just one over the other? Thanks.

Vin
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 10:08 PM   #44
italyix
Lieutenant
United_States
6

 
italyix's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bay Area


Posts: 574
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniechin View Post
Hey all,

Very interested if there are any updates to this? Should the diff bushings be done too in conjunction with the subframe or just one over the other? Thanks.

Vin
Might as well...thats what Im doing
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:57 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST