BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

06-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #1
M-P0WER
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2012 E92 JB 6MT

Oil consumption after first oil change

I just had my 1,200 mile service done last week. The paperwork indicated 10 units of oil and I was concerned that they may have overfilled the oil. When I followed up with the SA he told me that they used slightly more than 9 liters to fill the engine.

The oil level display was at the center mark when I left the dealership after service. About 120 miles later, the level dropped below the center mark. Now, with less than 200 miles after the oil change I'm getting the "+ 1 qt" low oil message.

It seems excessive that the car would actually go through one quart of oil in less than 200 miles after the oil change. I checked and there are no leaks anywhere. What could be a possible explanation?

UPDATE:
I added 0.5 liters and after driving about 25 miles the gauge now shows the oil level at "max". Go figure.

Last edited by M-P0WER; 06-16-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
aussiem3
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
2014 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
2007 E92 M3  [0.00]
This is normal because the electronic dip stick is all over the place. It's normal to top up the oil after an oil change and it has happened to me after every single oil change. After the last oil change I added 800 ml and it has been fine with the idrive showing "OK". The best part is I haven't had to top up the oil between the oil changes. This engine is good ... unless I am not driving the car the way it should and burn a lot more oil

Someone posted recently and indicated updating the software on the car fixed the erratic electronic dip-stick.

But this is a topic that has been extensively discussed and covered in this forum. You're not alone.

Enjoy the car

2007 E92 6MT - Silverstone II with /// Performance Exhaust with ACM Test Pipes and BPM Sport Stage II Dev-Tune - Proper engine warm up, 12-monthly oil change, Castrol TWS 10w-60
2014 F15 X5 3.0d
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
Denk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 ZCP

I had exactly the same experience after my first service. I was almost a full quart low after a couple hundred miles. No harm, at least they didn't overfill it.
Appreciate 0