BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #3411
rodi
. . .
51
Rep
2,400
Posts

 
Drives: your FACE!
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta proper

iTrader: (-1)

and i was about to get a new 17" MCP with a SS. guess i'll wait until they confirm that the 17" is no more.
__________________
2009 135i | space grey | sport | navi | hifi | heated
dinan stage 2 software | bmw performance exhaust
kw v2 | hotchkis front sway | vmr v710

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 04:13 PM   #3412
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
165
Rep
6,792
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN

iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
and i was about to get a new 17" MCP with a SS. guess i'll wait until they confirm that the 17" is no more.
it has been confirmed
__________________

Currently for sale: N/A
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #3413
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
348
Rep
24,716
Posts

 
Drives: '04 330i ZHP
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (22)

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [4.75]
2011 135i  [3.73]
2008 328xi  [4.38]
just got an SSD for my iMac... need to install but should be fun.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #3414
The1
Major General
Canada
56
Rep
5,127
Posts

 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post
just got an SSD for my iMac... need to install but should be fun.
you won't regret it, in fact you'll be astonished.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #3415
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
165
Rep
6,792
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN

iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post
just got an SSD for my iMac... need to install but should be fun.
now you can simultaneously encode 10 of your "home movies" with random dudes on craigslist with ease.
__________________

Currently for sale: N/A
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #3416
rodi
. . .
51
Rep
2,400
Posts

 
Drives: your FACE!
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta proper

iTrader: (-1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
but Tim Cook has unofficially said that Apple's professional market is very important to them, and they have some exciting replacements coming next year.
__________________
2009 135i | space grey | sport | navi | hifi | heated
dinan stage 2 software | bmw performance exhaust
kw v2 | hotchkis front sway | vmr v710

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 08:11 PM   #3417
The1
Major General
Canada
56
Rep
5,127
Posts

 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
but Tim Cook has unofficially said that Apple's professional market is very important to them, and they have some exciting replacements coming next year.
That doesn't surprise me. it's not like apple to design crack for addicted mac lovers and then take it away without having a good reason.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 09:24 PM   #3418
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
165
Rep
6,792
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN

iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
but Tim Cook has unofficially said that Apple's professional market is very important to them, and they have some exciting replacements coming next year.
I think he was referring to the Mac Pro... supposedly will be completely redesigned sometime next year.
__________________

Currently for sale: N/A
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 09:43 PM   #3419
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
348
Rep
24,716
Posts

 
Drives: '04 330i ZHP
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (22)

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [4.75]
2011 135i  [3.73]
2008 328xi  [4.38]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
now you can simultaneously encode 10 of your "home movies" with random dudes on craigslist with ease.
oh good so now you don't have to pick just 1 when you come over.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 07:08 AM   #3420
rodi
. . .
51
Rep
2,400
Posts

 
Drives: your FACE!
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta proper

iTrader: (-1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
I think he was referring to the Mac Pro... supposedly will be completely redesigned sometime next year.
i think he's referring to professionals. which includes the 17" MBP market.
__________________
2009 135i | space grey | sport | navi | hifi | heated
dinan stage 2 software | bmw performance exhaust
kw v2 | hotchkis front sway | vmr v710

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 07:49 AM   #3421
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
165
Rep
6,792
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN

iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
i think he's referring to professionals. which includes the 17" MBP market.
It's possible rodi... but I wouldn't get my hopes up. I really do think they've axed the 17" MBP since it wasn't selling as well as the 13" and 15" models.
__________________

Currently for sale: N/A
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 09:10 AM   #3422
rodi
. . .
51
Rep
2,400
Posts

 
Drives: your FACE!
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta proper

iTrader: (-1)

i hope so. otherwise, i'd have to get an iMac when this MBP is ready to be upgraded. i really don't think they'd leave their professionals in the dust as far as mobility is concerned. that would be disgusting. i'm going to hold confident that they'll release a new 17" MBP, but not a slim version like the retina model just released. maybe that's why they axed it for now: slim retina versions of 13 and 15, and a new non-slim 17" coming soon.
__________________
2009 135i | space grey | sport | navi | hifi | heated
dinan stage 2 software | bmw performance exhaust
kw v2 | hotchkis front sway | vmr v710

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #3423
rodi
. . .
51
Rep
2,400
Posts

 
Drives: your FACE!
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta proper

iTrader: (-1)

i never experimented with close-up filters before. but because of the minimum focus distance on my Mamiya 150mm f/2.8 being 1.5 meters, i started looking into it. i was wondering if it changed the field of view and that's why it allowed "close-up." anyway, luckily, when I ordered a close-up filter set in 67mm, it would fit my Mamiya 80 and 150 lenses, as well as my Bronica 80 and 150 lenses.
here's a 6x6cm frame with an 80mm f/2.8 and a +2 diopter filter. they do not change the field of view of the lens, they just convert the focusing range from (example) 0.8m - infinity to something like .2m - .5m.
you definitely lose the ability to focus to infinity, or more specifically, on anything past that converted far-focus distance, in this case .5m or so. fun possibilities with portraits.



the depth of field here is probably about 10mm. shot at f/2.8.
__________________
2009 135i | space grey | sport | navi | hifi | heated
dinan stage 2 software | bmw performance exhaust
kw v2 | hotchkis front sway | vmr v710


Last edited by rodi; 06-14-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 09:21 AM   #3424
Seminole
Colonel
Seminole's Avatar
United_States
90
Rep
2,032
Posts

 
Drives: Red Flyer
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: 38.8977 N, 77.0366 W

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
i hope so. otherwise, i'd have to get an iMac when this MBP is ready to be upgraded. i really don't think they'd leave their professionals in the dust as far as mobility is concerned. that would be disgusting. i'm going to hold confident that they'll release a new 17" MBP, but not a slim version like the retina model just released. maybe that's why they axed it for now: slim retina versions of 13 and 15, and a new non-slim 17" coming soon.
I think it's gone .

Apple has left up their desktop versions even though they haven't been updated in a while. They had nothing to lose by leaving it up on their website.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 09:27 AM   #3425
M_Six
Free Thinker
M_Six's Avatar
United_States
126
Rep
5,077
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 MB C300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
The 27" iMac is pretty sweet, though. Get the i7 processor and dump in 16GB of RAM and the machine screams. Probably cheaper than a 17" MBP, too.

Of course then the dust and hairs on your scanned images will look like boulders and sticks.
__________________
Mark
Flickr

"I know rocks. Rocks are hard."
-T. Walter
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 02:19 PM   #3426
dcstep
Major General
United_States
65
Rep
5,036
Posts

 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
i never experimented with close-up filters before. but because of the minimum focus distance on my Mamiya 150mm f/2.8 being 1.5 meters, i started looking into it. i was wondering if it changed the field of view and that's why it allowed "close-up." anyway, luckily, when I ordered a close-up filter set in 67mm, it would fit my Mamiya 80 and 150 lenses, as well as my Bronica 80 and 150 lenses.
here's a 6x6cm frame with an 80mm f/2.8 and a +2 diopter filter. they do not change the field of view of the lens, they just convert the focusing range from (example) 0.8m - infinity to something like .2m - .5m.
you definitely lose the ability to focus to infinity, or more specifically, on anything past that converted far-focus distance, in this case .5m or so. fun possibilities with portraits.
How 'bout extension tubes? I use those with all of my lenses and really like the results.

Dave
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 03:53 PM   #3427
M_Six
Free Thinker
M_Six's Avatar
United_States
126
Rep
5,077
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 MB C300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Got my new MBP today. Holy crap, this thing gets hot when it's working hard. Guess I need to find a cool pad to set it on.
__________________
Mark
Flickr

"I know rocks. Rocks are hard."
-T. Walter
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 04:13 PM   #3428
rodi
. . .
51
Rep
2,400
Posts

 
Drives: your FACE!
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta proper

iTrader: (-1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
How 'bout extension tubes? I use those with all of my lenses and really like the results.

Dave
bronica made some extension tubes, but i remember reading about some limitations, as well as the final affected aperture. does it alter anything besides focus distance? i really like this method, though. cheap and quick and small, we'll see what happens whenever i decide to shoot into the sun.
__________________
2009 135i | space grey | sport | navi | hifi | heated
dinan stage 2 software | bmw performance exhaust
kw v2 | hotchkis front sway | vmr v710

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 11:42 PM   #3429
The1
Major General
Canada
56
Rep
5,127
Posts

 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
bronica made some extension tubes, but i remember reading about some limitations, as well as the final affected aperture. does it alter anything besides focus distance? i really like this method, though. cheap and quick and small, we'll see what happens whenever i decide to shoot into the sun.
Sounds like the kit you picked up does basically the same thing as extension tubes. Just moves the minimum focus distance closer.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 11:47 PM   #3430
gary88
Ikea enthusiast
gary88's Avatar
United_States
101
Rep
7,995
Posts

 
Drives: '07 E92 335i
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [3.91]
I was deleting old LR4 backups the other day to clear HDD space and accidentaly deleted my most recent one and had to revert to one from March, fffffuuuuu. Lost edits on about 1000 shots, nothing super important though, just basic RAW processing.
__________________

garyhebdingjr.com | flickr | Instagram@garyhebding
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 11:48 PM   #3431
The1
Major General
Canada
56
Rep
5,127
Posts

 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

iTrader: (0)

Good practice...
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 11:52 PM   #3432
MaximusJ
Colonel
MaximusJ's Avatar
Canada
37
Rep
2,122
Posts

 
Drives: 325i 2006
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Quebec, Canada

iTrader: (19)

Garage List
'06 E90  [3.72]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
Sounds like the kit you picked up does basically the same thing as extension tubes. Just moves the minimum focus distance closer.
But my extension tubes make the DOF freaking thin.

I'm pretty sure they're all the same, but there's something I must do wrong when using them. As soon as I use a 20mm combination or more with my 50mm, my lens almost have to touch the freaking bug before getting slightly in focus. And I say slightly because the DOF is about a "half-an-hairline" thin.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:28 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST