BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
Stick to Clutch
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-12-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
cwidjojo
First Lieutenant
 
cwidjojo's Avatar
 
Drives: Sparkling Graphite E92 M3
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indonesia/San Francisco

Posts: 340
iTrader: (1)

bent rear arm / camber link

hey guys, i just discovered that my rear arms/camber links are bent when i took my car in to install my exhaust. do you think this is going to be covered by the warranty? what could have happened that would result to this? i live in sf, so it might be the ghastly potholes. the weird thing is, the car drives normally, and i dont notice anything out of the ordinary when i drive it.
Attached Images
       
cwidjojo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-12-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,065
iTrader: (44)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
A pothole would likely destroy the wheel before it would a suspension component. To me it looks like it's been pried on/against
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #3
TXmtrhed
First Lieutenant
 
TXmtrhed's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Katy, TX

Posts: 315
iTrader: (0)

Has your car ever been towed or transported?
TXmtrhed is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-12-2012, 05:48 PM   #4
cwidjojo
First Lieutenant
 
cwidjojo's Avatar
 
Drives: Sparkling Graphite E92 M3
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indonesia/San Francisco

Posts: 340
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXmtrhed View Post
Has your car ever been towed or transported?
yes... do you think this is a result from the towing?
cwidjojo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #5
tlp
Colonel
 
tlp's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 e92 M3 SG/FR
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Posts: 2,009
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 BMW e92 M3  [4.55]
Looks like towing/transport damage to me.
__________________
My Coding Journal
Current - '11 e92 M3 SG/FR ZCP|ZCV|ZP2|2MK|494|415|6NR|752
tlp is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-12-2012, 06:38 PM   #6
tibra1
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

Posts: 6,777
iTrader: (4)

Those are not your camber links..these are

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  5.3 KB


The rear trailing arms are what you describe and they are designed to crush on impact (for safety reasons)..did you or someone before you hit something..curb, pothole..thats the likely culprit..they need to be replaced

If a tow operator hitched you car to those he should be flogged..literally
tibra1 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      06-12-2012, 11:04 PM   #7
apecush
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Edmonton

Posts: 433
iTrader: (2)

Just posted a few weeks ago about this - mine look the same, and the car has never hit anything aside from potholes. They are the sacrificial part of the rear suspension and designed to bend.

I see you've got 19s just like me...I bet there are a lot of other cars out there with trailing arms that look the same, the drivers just don't know it yet. Chances are your rear wheels are pretty toed out right now.

The arms are about $50 each.
apecush is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-12-2012, 11:22 PM   #8
cwidjojo
First Lieutenant
 
cwidjojo's Avatar
 
Drives: Sparkling Graphite E92 M3
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indonesia/San Francisco

Posts: 340
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
Those are not your camber links..these are

Attachment 706644


The rear trailing arms are what you describe and they are designed to crush on impact (for safety reasons)..did you or someone before you hit something..curb, pothole..thats the likely culprit..they need to be replaced

If a tow operator hitched you car to those he should be flogged..literally
oh my bad. yeah what i meant was that the bent trailing arms lead to the unevenness of the camber links to the rear axle(?). you can see in the picture of the camber links that its not dead center to it, and might even be rubbing
do you think the dealer would replace them under warranty?
cwidjojo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-12-2012, 11:24 PM   #9
tibra1
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

Posts: 6,777
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwidjojo View Post
oh my bad. yeah what i meant was that the bent trailing arms lead to the unevenness of the camber links to the rear axle(?). you can see in the picture of the camber links that its not dead center to it, and might even be rubbing
do you think the dealer would replace them under warranty?
Do you have a good SA?..I think you have a chance they are not a high dollar item and quick labor time..but you will most likely also need an alignment and they will probably ding you for that..
tibra1 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      06-12-2012, 11:26 PM   #10
cwidjojo
First Lieutenant
 
cwidjojo's Avatar
 
Drives: Sparkling Graphite E92 M3
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indonesia/San Francisco

Posts: 340
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apecush View Post
Just posted a few weeks ago about this - mine look the same, and the car has never hit anything aside from potholes. They are the sacrificial part of the rear suspension and designed to bend.

I see you've got 19s just like me...I bet there are a lot of other cars out there with trailing arms that look the same, the drivers just don't know it yet. Chances are your rear wheels are pretty toed out right now.

The arms are about $50 each.
yeah the weird thing is, my car drives normally. i really hope nothing serious will result from it
cwidjojo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2012, 09:34 AM   #11
apecush
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Edmonton

Posts: 433
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwidjojo View Post
yeah the weird thing is, my car drives normally. i really hope nothing serious will result from it
I had my car aligned and have very uneven rear toe (0.5 deg out/0.1 deg in) and the car tracks straight - since both of your arms look pretty bad, there is a chance the toe is close on both sides.
apecush is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2012, 03:27 PM   #12
bigjae1976
Takes threads off topic...daily
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 5,312
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Dealer likely won't warranty that. Bent usually means not covered.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
bigjae1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #13
808MGuy
Colonel
 
808MGuy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii

Posts: 2,270
iTrader: (3)

I had that rear trailing arm bend in half on me. Dealer did not cover under warranty due to the Eibach springs. They could not explain what would have caused it. Mine was bent in half like a V when it happened. Luckily I was on a crowded City road and not on a freeway when it happened. It just felt like the back end wanted to break loose all of a sudden.
__________________
09 E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Black Novillo / Sycamore Anthracite / Eibach / HRE

808MGuy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2012, 05:27 PM   #14
apecush
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Edmonton

Posts: 433
iTrader: (2)

The appearance of those arms doesn't instill a lot of confidence - they are very thin stamped steel (though probably fairly high-strength). Given the stiffness of the rest of the arms (solid aluminum) it isn't surprising that they are deforming. They are carried over directly from other 3-series cars where the suspension linkage is likely quite a bit more compliant, not to mention higher profile tires - perhaps they are there to protect a weakness of the subframe.

Like I said before, I'm pretty sure this issue is more widespread than most believe, since a very small percentage of us actually inspect the suspension components on our cars closely enough to see the damage shown in the pictures.
apecush is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2012, 07:55 PM   #15
808MGuy
Colonel
 
808MGuy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii

Posts: 2,270
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apecush View Post
The appearance of those arms doesn't instill a lot of confidence - they are very thin stamped steel (though probably fairly high-strength). Given the stiffness of the rest of the arms (solid aluminum) it isn't surprising that they are deforming. They are carried over directly from other 3-series cars where the suspension linkage is likely quite a bit more compliant, not to mention higher profile tires - perhaps they are there to protect a weakness of the subframe.

Like I said before, I'm pretty sure this issue is more widespread than most believe, since a very small percentage of us actually inspect the suspension components on our cars closely enough to see the damage shown in the pictures.
Like others have said, it is the weak link because it is designed to be that way. The way it fails is actually a safety feature which keeps you from losing control of the car. The OPs situation definitely doesn't look normal and does appear to be caused by someone prying on it which I have heard is common for some inexperienced installers to do when installing springs.
__________________
09 E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Black Novillo / Sycamore Anthracite / Eibach / HRE

808MGuy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2012, 08:17 PM   #16
tibra1
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

Posts: 6,777
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apecush View Post
The appearance of those arms doesn't instill a lot of confidence - they are very thin stamped steel (though probably fairly high-strength). .
No they are not high strenght...thats the whole point they are designed to crumple easily..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
Like others have said, it is the weak link because it is designed to be that way. The way it fails is actually a safety feature which keeps you from losing control of the car.
Yep
tibra1 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2012, 10:55 PM   #17
apecush
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Edmonton

Posts: 433
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
Like others have said, it is the weak link because it is designed to be that way. The way it fails is actually a safety feature which keeps you from losing control of the car. The OPs situation definitely doesn't look normal and does appear to be caused by someone prying on it which I have heard is common for some inexperienced installers to do when installing springs.
His car looks exactly the same as mine, hence me posting in this thread.

It boils down to this - if you strengthen everything else in the suspension and leave the weak link the same, the weak link will deform at a lower load than the overall weaker system (i.e. in the non-M).

Last edited by apecush; 06-13-2012 at 11:01 PM.
apecush is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2012, 10:56 PM   #18
apecush
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Edmonton

Posts: 433
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
No they are not high strenght...thats the whole point they are designed to crumple easily..
High strength steel, not high strength by design.
apecush is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2012, 11:41 PM   #19
bigjae1976
Takes threads off topic...daily
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 5,312
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by apecush View Post
His car looks exactly the same as mine, hence me posting in this thread.

It boils down to this - if you strengthen everything else in the suspension and leave the weak link the same, the weak link will deform at a lower load than the overall weaker system (i.e. in the non-M).
You have a choice. Replace a cheap control arm that is easy to install or allow the load to be transferrred to the subframe mount points and then have your rear floor area get torn up.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
bigjae1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:01 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST