BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

06-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #23
bolinp78
G35 convertee

Drives: 2008 335i (AW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterEXW View Post
Come on guys, I think we all realistically know that Romney has a slim chance of winning this election. I still am up on the air on who to vote for, I was a big supporter of Huntsman but that hope is long buried so who knows now. Anyhow, Obama will have another 4 years....whether you love, hate or don't really care about him that's the plausible scenario. No amount of articles you pull from Fox is going to change that.
And just as was predicted by many before he was elected the first time, we will predict that he won't do jack shit for this country, and probably be right.
      06-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #24
EvosM3
Banned

Drives: WTB E90 M3

Judging by the ratings of liberal cable news stations (CNN, MSNBC, NBC), Obama will lose. If the American people refuse to watch these liberal news stations and thus are dropping their ratings to 20 year lows, Obama will not get enough supporters to win this time.
      06-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #25
ScotchAndCigar
Banned

Drives: 2011 128i space gray vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvosM3 View Post
Judging by the ratings of liberal cable news stations (CNN, MSNBC, NBC), Obama will lose. If the American people refuse to watch these liberal news stations and thus are dropping their ratings to 20 year lows, Obama will not get enough supporters to win this time.
You're like a ridiculous statement factory! Did it ever occur to you that there's only one right-wing TV news channel, so naturally about half the voting population watches it. The "liberal news stations" aren't really needed, because there's no difference between "liberal news" and news. CNN is not liberal; it's just news. The American people can get their news from any network, or any number of online news sources, and it's all the same. We don't have to be spoonfed pre-slanted Faux news, just so we don't bust an artery, like Dick Cheney demanded when he traveled.
ScotchAndCigar is offline   United_States
      06-05-2012, 05:45 PM   #26
EvosM3
Banned

I don't think you understand that CNN, MSNBC and other liberally biased news outlets have ratings at 20 year lows. That means that people are sick of liberalism.
      06-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #27
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
Quote:
I don't think you understand that CNN, MSNBC and other liberally biased news outlets have ratings at 20 year lows. That means that people are sick of liberalism.
"2 and a half men" are on top of the ratings, does that mean we should all act like Charlie Sheen?

Maybe it's because progressives are getting their information from other places than the television.
      06-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #28
ScotchAndCigar
Banned

Quote:
I know you didn't understand my post. Ratings for ALL individual TV channels are at 20 year lows, because everyone has 600 channels and the internet and netflix and hulu and podcasts. You can't just make-up your own conclusions.

When are you going to accept that the number of liberals isn't changing, and will not change? If any of the crap you keep theorizing were true, there'd be a huge bias in the election polling, which has not happened. Furthermore, even if the polls start shifting away from Obama, that would likely reflect people's feelings about the economy, rather than any inherent shift in national ideology.

In case you haven't noticed, Americans mainly vote against what they see as a bad status quo. Happened in 2006, 2008, and 2010. How people "feel" about our recovery will determine 2012.

The fact that over 50% of Americans support gay marriage means that you couldn't be more wrong about the trend of liberals. And once again, I must reiterate that there's something wrong with one who thinks that a straight news channel like CNN is liberal.
      06-06-2012, 09:47 AM   #29
JesterEXW
Private First Class

Drives: 2009 335i, Space Gray / Black

Quote:
You are correct that their ratings are dropping, but that is across the board for all news stations. New social media outlets, blogs and internet news accesibility likely plays a larger role in this than anything else. Also, the majority of the super liberal bloggers and online sites (like Huffington Post) have had an explosion of followers. It is more likely that the liberal viewership is simply gravitating to new sources, not disapearing. It is easy to exclude important variables in order to make things fit your view, don't make that mistake. Also, let's be real...while there are liberal bias stations I think Fox is just as heavily biased....keep criticism fair and allow logic to apply to all sides.

Just to restate, I was a Huntsman supporter, I am an independent not someone here to defend Obama. I just feel it is necessary to point out flawed logic regardless of the side.
JesterEXW is offline   United_States
      06-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #30
bolinp78
G35 convertee

Quote:
You are correct that their ratings are dropping, but that is across the board for all news stations. New social media outlets, blogs and internet news accesibility likely plays a larger role in this than anything else. Also, the majority of the super liberal bloggers and online sites (like Huffington Post) have had an explosion of followers. It is more likely that the liberal viewership is simply gravitating to new sources, not disapearing. It is easy to exclude important variables in order to make things fit your view, don't make that mistake. Also, let's be real...while there are liberal bias stations I think Fox is just as heavily biased....keep criticism fair and allow logic to apply to all sides.

Just to restate, I was a Huntsman supporter, I am an independent not someone here to defend Obama. I just feel it is necessary to point out flawed logic regardless of the side.
Do you have a source showing the history of the TV ratings you're talking about?
      06-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #31
JesterEXW
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolinp78
Quote:

Do you have a source showing the history of the TV ratings you're talking about?
Did I say anything about tv ratings? The OP brought that up, not me. I am saying that there are variables not taken into account in his analysis of the data. He sees it this way:

CNN ratings are down = Less liberals exist now than before

That conclusion is only one of many possibilities, he jumped to it so quickly because it supports what he wants to believe.

As for the explosion in blogs, online papers, etc. there are many sources showing their increase in viewership. I did not think this was a point of contention for anyone. If you'd like I can dig up some examples though, just let me know
      06-06-2012, 03:33 PM   #32
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Did I say anything about tv ratings? The OP brought that up, not me.
He did bring it up but you certainly commented on it, saying he was correct and that ratings are dropping across the board.

I think bolinp is asking for a source on where you found that or know that he's correct. FWIW, I follow your logic as well (with more people on the net, less will turn on a TV to get news), but would also be interested to see some data supporting this drop if you have it. I could always search for it myself, but if you have something handy I wouldn't mind stealing it
      06-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #33
bolinp78
G35 convertee

Quote:
Did I say anything about tv ratings? The OP brought that up, not me. I am saying that there are variables not taken into account in his analysis of the data. He sees it this way:

That conclusion is only one of many possibilities, he jumped to it so quickly because it supports what he wants to believe.

As for the explosion in blogs, online papers, etc. there are many sources showing their increase in viewership. I did not think this was a point of contention for anyone. If you'd like I can dig up some examples though, just let me know
If you're talking about me, I'm not sure how me being curious about a data source for this merits your assertion that I jumped to any conclusion.
      06-06-2012, 05:09 PM   #34
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolinp78 View Post
If you're talking about me, I'm not sure how me being curious about a data source for this merits your assertion that I jumped to any conclusion.
Yet you didn't ask for a citation from evosm3? Any reason you only need data from one person? How about you call him out on his false equivalency.
      06-06-2012, 05:15 PM   #35
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
Also to add. Having a bleak economic outlook isn't just bad for OUR president, it's bad for OUR country. Having this country do poorly economically won't just effect dems. I twill effect independents, libertarians, tea-partiers, and even republicans. It will effect every person who lives here in the US.

When one starts a thread with a title "Bad Week for Barry" it is evident that you would rather the president look bad, than have this country do well. That is disgusting.

Go ahead and keep rooting for our country to do poorly you traitors.

Last edited by xbook; 06-06-2012 at 05:16 PM. Reason: adding emphasis to OUR.
xbook is offline   Zimbabwe
      06-06-2012, 08:39 PM   #36
EvosM3
Banned

Lol, it's not as if conservatives are somehow making the country do bad. Obama is at fault for its currently poor state. We're merely pointing out Obama's faults, something liberals and democrats cannot.
      06-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #37
Sidney
Dishonorably discharged

Drives: 2011 e90 335i 6MT

Pointing out that he had a bad week, especially in light of Wisconsin's results, doesn't quite fall into the category of "traitor". Sheesh.
      06-06-2012, 09:59 PM   #38
JesterEXW
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolinp78
Quote:

I was not talking about you, I was talking about the OP concluding that because of a drop in CNN viewership there must be less liberals around. As for the data source for declining viewership of mainstream media I will post as soon as I can. I've been doing all posts via my iPhone while traveling.
      06-06-2012, 10:04 PM   #39
JesterEXW
Private First Class

For the time being here is this:

http://m.hollywoodreporter.com/news/cable-news-viewership-declines-double-167181

Yes, it is the Hollywood Reporter but they cite the study and source of information with links. Not the best example, but not having my PC in front of me it does the job. Hope this helps!
      06-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #40
JesterEXW
Private First Class

Also, sorry OP I misattributed the decline in viewership assumption to you when it was posted by EvosM3.
      06-07-2012, 12:13 AM   #41
ScotchAndCigar
Banned

Quote:
Lol, it's not as if conservatives are somehow making the country do bad. Obama is at fault for its currently poor state. We're merely pointing out Obama's faults, something liberals and democrats cannot.
Ah, no, sorry. You see, there was this big recession, perhaps you heard about it. That's why the country was in a poor state. Deficits caused by conservative policies. Obama came in, and we're in recovery. These are the facts, just because you keep stating otherwise won't make it any less bogus.
      06-07-2012, 07:55 AM   #42
mspeasl
Sixties Drag Racer

Drives: 2011 Cashmere Silver 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotchAndCigar View Post
Deficits caused by conservative policies
Not so. 2006-2010. Control was from the left.
1957 - Chevrolet Bel Air 2dr Coupe' Drag Car (2nd Owner since 1964)
1947 - Chevrolet Sport Master Coupe' Street Rod (2nd Owner since 1974)
mspeasl is offline   United_States
      06-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #43
ScotchAndCigar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspeasl View Post
Not so. 2006-2010. Control was from the left.
Really? The Iraq and Afghan wars were started by Dem control in 2006? Bush's two unfunded stimulus checks and the billions pissed-away for "homeland security" came from 2006 Dem control? What the hell are you talking about?

And you think the Dem control from '06-'08 was worth a damn? Bush just used his "signing statements", so that any part of a bill he didn't like would be exempted. And we all know how '09-'10 went - yeah, Dems were in control all-right; it only took a year and a half for a pathetically stripped-down healthcare reform bill to pass, the closing of Guantanomo didn't fly, Don't Ask Don't Tell couldn't get repealed, budgets couldn't get approved. Yeah, that's some control.
      06-07-2012, 10:49 AM   #44
mspeasl
Sixties Drag Racer

Drives: 2011 Cashmere Silver 528i

If I recall correctly, both sides voted in favor of the wars.

BTW. I've heard of the veto, But "signíng statements". Where did that come from. I guess those of us in the Heartland are out of touch. But I would like to thank You folks from the right and left coast for keeping us in líne.
1957 - Chevrolet Bel Air 2dr Coupe' Drag Car (2nd Owner since 1964)
1947 - Chevrolet Sport Master Coupe' Street Rod (2nd Owner since 1974)

Last edited by mspeasl; 06-07-2012 at 12:01 PM.
mspeasl is offline   United_States