BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #1
3erMurf
Registered
1

 
3erMurf's Avatar
 
Drives: '06 E90
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somewhere i'd rather not be


Posts: 3
iTrader: (0)

Sort of Newbie... considering a classic BMW

So I have been coming here for awhile now and I thought I would ask comments, food-for-thought, etc..

I have a 3 series (my first BMW) and I am getting an itch to buy another one however the catch is I want a classic one. Unfortunately it must be an automatic tranny.

How much of an pain is to work on one? Can they be DD's? What do they cost?

Thanks,
__________________


J
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
Augenbrauezug
Captain
28

 
Augenbrauezug's Avatar
 
Drives: mk6 GTI
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Denton


Posts: 657
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3erMurf View Post
So I have been coming here for awhile now and I thought I would ask comments, food-for-thought, etc..

I have a 3 series (my first BMW) and I am getting an itch to buy another one however the catch is I want a classic one. Unfortunately it must be an automatic tranny.

How much of an pain is to work on one? Can they be DD's? What do they cost?

Thanks,
I guess the starting point would be, what does 'a classic one' entail?

A classic 3 series will be a bit different than a classic m1.
__________________
Bimmer-less ATM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 08:59 AM   #3
Red Bread
Brigadier General
United_States
54

 
Drives: My wife's car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX


Posts: 4,302
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Learn to drive a manual. On a friend's car. Do not buy an old car with an automatic.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
3erMurf
Registered
1

 
3erMurf's Avatar
 
Drives: '06 E90
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somewhere i'd rather not be


Posts: 3
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augenbrauezug View Post
I guess the starting point would be, what does 'a classic one' entail?

A classic 3 series will be a bit different than a classic m1.
I thinking a 1600 or 2002 or something similar. There is guy on the road that when going to work has 2002 (Color is Inka) and looks pretty good. It also runs fairly fast!
__________________


J
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #5
3erMurf
Registered
1

 
3erMurf's Avatar
 
Drives: '06 E90
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somewhere i'd rather not be


Posts: 3
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Learn to drive a manual. On a friend's car. Do not buy an old car with an automatic.
Unfortunately, I have no choice in the matter about the Transmission. But I like the way your thinking about a friend's car! Ha!
__________________


J
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 06:39 PM   #6
bimmerjph
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
36

 
bimmerjph's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 BMW 325i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Tennessee


Posts: 1,974
iTrader: (0)

You might want to try another BMW forum such as bimmerforums. They are a more oriented to the older cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 01:20 AM   #7
mazz328
Private
6

 
Drives: 328 coupe M
Join Date: May 2012
Location: United States


Posts: 70
iTrader: (0)

here is my 3
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:11 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST