BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
Evolve Automotive
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-17-2012, 07:37 PM   #23
Raptor251
ESS Dreaming
United_States
10

 
Raptor251's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3/Ford Raptor 6.2
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego


Posts: 870
iTrader: (1)

Bump for anyone who is actually interested in their car not just "what nationality you are?" or "I had an M3 date?"
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 07:51 PM   #24
m3an
Banned
19

 
m3an's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South Florida


Posts: 1,611
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor251 View Post
Bump for anyone who is actually interested in their car not just "what nationality you are?" or "I had an M3 date?"
the problems of m3 post... the techie car stuff is fading away to "how many times you put the top down?"
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 10:05 PM   #25
Raptor251
ESS Dreaming
United_States
10

 
Raptor251's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3/Ford Raptor 6.2
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego


Posts: 870
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontid View Post
the problems of m3 post... the techie car stuff is fading away to "how many times you put the top down?"
LOL some of the stuff on here makes me sick!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 11:39 PM   #26
Zaw
Private First Class
1

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 DCT Competition
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Studio City, CA


Posts: 102
iTrader: (0)

I'm interested to know if these H / X combo mid sections actually make more power or better exhaust flow.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 01:26 AM   #27
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
43

 
Singletrack's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 12 AW X5d
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA


Posts: 3,817
iTrader: (3)

What exactly do you hope to figure out? Trust me, the akrapovic unit is likely the best. They are beyond exhaust super geeks. Most xpipes are pretty damn close in terms of performance. There is not really any great discovery to be made here.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 03:08 AM   #28
Soorena
Captain
No_Country
17

 
Drives: M3 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Paris


Posts: 841
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Interesting stuff is here. I have an employee who is mechanical engineer. I'm interested to see what he has to say about this subject.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 09:56 AM   #29
Raptor251
ESS Dreaming
United_States
10

 
Raptor251's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3/Ford Raptor 6.2
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego


Posts: 870
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
What exactly do you hope to figure out? Trust me, the akrapovic unit is likely the best. They are beyond exhaust super geeks. Most xpipes are pretty damn close in terms of performance. There is not really any great discovery to be made here.
Why would I trust you? FYI I've owned the Akra evo, full Dinan system, full RPI GT system, OEM exhaust mod and now my current setup which consists of an RPI xpipe w/custom resonators paired with Fabspeed mufflers. Point being I'm going to trust myself over you any day. Do you own the full EVO system? If you did then you would have noticed the torque dip w/out a tune. The Akra isn't perfect. On a side note I will say its the best constructed exhaust on the market by far!

Anyways, I'm curious to hear thoughts as to the effects of moving an H pipe around with regards to torque. Like I stated before the car now has a very pronounced intake note and it feels like it has a little more engine braking.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 09:58 AM   #30
Raptor251
ESS Dreaming
United_States
10

 
Raptor251's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3/Ford Raptor 6.2
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego


Posts: 870
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaw View Post
I'm interested to know if these H / X combo mid sections actually make more power or better exhaust flow.
Glad Im not alone! I need to get to a dyno asap!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 10:16 AM   #31
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
43

 
Singletrack's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 12 AW X5d
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA


Posts: 3,817
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor251 View Post
Why would I trust you? FYI I've owned the Akra evo, full Dinan system, full RPI GT system, OEM exhaust mod and now my current setup which consists of an RPI xpipe w/custom resonators paired with Fabspeed mufflers. Point being I'm going to trust myself over you any day. Do you own the full EVO system? If you did then you would have noticed the torque dip w/out a tune. The Akra isn't perfect. On a side note I will say its the best constructed exhaust on the market by far!

Anyways, I'm curious to hear thoughts as to the effects of moving an H pipe around with regards to torque. Like I stated before the car now has a very pronounced intake note and it feels like it has a little more engine braking.
Because Akra did more dyno work than any other exhaust manufacturer - guaranteed. The whole reason there is a torque dip IS because their exhaust is so efficient. So efficient that it requires tuning because the stock programming can't adapt.

Your attitude sucks, and always has really. I like that you come on here and ask for help while simultaneously insulting the community.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 12:36 PM   #32
Raptor251
ESS Dreaming
United_States
10

 
Raptor251's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3/Ford Raptor 6.2
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego


Posts: 870
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
Because Akra did more dyno work than any other exhaust manufacturer - guaranteed. The whole reason there is a torque dip IS because their exhaust is so efficient. So efficient that it requires tuning because the stock programming can't adapt.

Your attitude sucks, and always has really. I like that you come on here and ask for help while simultaneously insulting the community.
Since you offered no help to me I fail to see your point. And stop being so sensitive, geez.

With regards to your last sentence I don't follow. If that's the case then why doesn't Akra have a tune to go with their exhaust? They only have the Delete-R. If I'm to follow you logic then Akra dyno tuned their exhaust with a tune? You have me really confused... Please explain
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 12:54 PM   #33
Raptor251
ESS Dreaming
United_States
10

 
Raptor251's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3/Ford Raptor 6.2
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego


Posts: 870
iTrader: (1)

I also want to point out that the addition of the H pipe eliminated all the rasp from my setup and drastically changed the exhaust note for the better. Those two things alone are reason enough to take a second look a H pipes!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 01:55 PM   #34
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
43

 
Singletrack's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 12 AW X5d
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA


Posts: 3,817
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor251 View Post
Since you offered no help to me I fail to see your point. And stop being so sensitive, geez.
You are not worth helping. Just proving it again.

...and I gave you the link the Evolve thread.

I'm not sensitive, I just think you have a crappy attitude - on here, and I'm sure in real life as well. From your posts about being better than people because you can work on cars, to your misinformed statements about vendors, to your insults of the community that doesn't conform to your technical standards. I didn't form this opinion overnight; you earned it.

Quote:
With regards to your last sentence I don't follow. If that's the case then why doesn't Akra have a tune to go with their exhaust? They only have the Delete-R. If I'm to follow you logic then Akra dyno tuned their exhaust with a tune? You have me really confused... Please explain
They designed the exhaust to have the best performance for the engine, and proved it with dyno work. This is what they do for all their exhausts. They didn't tune the engine to their exhaust. They aren't a tuning company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor251 View Post
I also want to point out that the addition of the H pipe eliminated all the rasp from my setup and drastically changed the exhaust note for the better. Those two things alone are reason enough to take a second look a H pipes!
Sal explains that in the post I linked, but you didn't pick up on why.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 02:51 PM   #35
Raptor251
ESS Dreaming
United_States
10

 
Raptor251's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3/Ford Raptor 6.2
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego


Posts: 870
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
You are not worth helping. Just proving it again.

...and I gave you the link the Evolve thread.

I'm not sensitive, I just think you have a crappy attitude - on here, and I'm sure in real life as well. From your posts about being better than people because you can work on cars, to your misinformed statements about vendors, to your insults of the community that doesn't conform to your technical standards. I didn't form this opinion overnight; you earned it.



They designed the exhaust to have the best performance for the engine, and proved it with dyno work. This is what they do for all their exhausts. They didn't tune the engine to their exhaust. They aren't a tuning company.



Sal explains that in the post I linked, but you didn't pick up on why.
I was more or less joking around but thanks for pointing this out, are you after an internet police award or something? You read way to deep into things, this is an internet forum, calm down

The best performance for the engine wouldnt have a torque dip.

I read the link, thats Sal's opinion and while he does amazing things hes just one guy with one opinion.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 03:19 PM   #36
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
43

 
Singletrack's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 12 AW X5d
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA


Posts: 3,817
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor251 View Post
I was more or less joking around but thanks for pointing this out, are you after an internet police award or something? You read way to deep into things, this is an internet forum, calm down
Don't know why you think I'm excited just because I'm calling you out. Takes a lot more than that to get me upset.

Quote:
The best performance for the engine wouldnt have a torque dip.
Okie dokie. Because all engine management can adjust to a dramatic increase in VE right? No, wrong actually.

Actually this ECU is maybe the most dynamic in any street car and it can't handle it. All catless exhausts will also cause this. Catless exhausts also create the most overall power under the curve. I guess if you tool around at 2-3k, this is a big concern. Easy fix anyway for $500-1k in tuning.

Quote:
I read the link, thats Sal's opinion and while he does amazing things hes just one guy with one opinion.
Ok. I guess the old saying about leading a horse to water really is true. Mathematician/tuner with actual experience designing an exhaust and calculations showing why H pipe must be in certain location is not good enough for you. Silly.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 09:13 PM   #37
///Ron
BMW ENTHUSIAST
United_States
2

 
///Ron's Avatar
 
Drives: Bmw 2012 ///M3, Bmw 2011 335is
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Los Angeles


Posts: 88
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor251 View Post
Just wanted to give a little update to this thread. I've been really curious as to why Akra has both a H/X pipes and seeing as how they make one of the best systems out there I figured they were on to something. I decided what the hell, since I've already cut up my RPI x pipe to add resonators and H pipe cant hurt! All I can say is WOW! The car sounds totally different, it has a much deeper tone and the intake noise is insane. The car was also a little raspy from 3-4k before and now the sound is so clean! I need to do a dyno asap! Sorry for the bad pics. You can see where I added the H in the second pic just behind the tranny

SICKK
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 09:15 PM   #38
Zaw
Private First Class
1

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 DCT Competition
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Studio City, CA


Posts: 102
iTrader: (0)

Singletrack, why can't we talk about the h-pipe? Yes, Sal did explained why he put the h-pipe where he did but I still find it interesting that most other x-pipes lack this feature. We may discuss the advantage and disadvantage of the combo design. Maybe, Akrapovic and Evolve have arrived at the same conclusion but what about the others? Maybe there is room for improvement. Just because Akrapovic and Evolve said it's their final design it does not mean there is no room for improvement.

I don't get what you are getting at.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 09:40 PM   #39
Raptor251
ESS Dreaming
United_States
10

 
Raptor251's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3/Ford Raptor 6.2
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego


Posts: 870
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaw View Post
Singletrack, why can't we talk about the h-pipe? Yes, Sal did explained why he put the h-pipe where he did but I still find it interesting that most other x-pipes lack this feature. We may discuss the advantage and disadvantage of the combo design. Maybe, Akrapovic and Evolve have arrived at the same conclusion but what about the others? Maybe there is room for improvement. Just because Akrapovic and Evolve said it's their final design it does not mean there is no room for improvement.

I don't get what you are getting at.
Thank you, this was exactly my point!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 11:27 PM   #40
Keik E92 M3
Banned
United_States
47

 
Drives: BMW M3 DCT
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SoCal


Posts: 1,349
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2009 BMW  [4.50]
2011 BMW 335i  [3.40]
So i am going to add the H like Raptor251 did to his car... I am fully catless.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 12:01 AM   #41
Raptor251
ESS Dreaming
United_States
10

 
Raptor251's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3/Ford Raptor 6.2
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego


Posts: 870
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keikdasneak View Post
So i am going to add the H like Raptor251 did to his car... I am fully catless.
Im really interested to see what you think. What mid pipe do you currently have?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 12:58 AM   #42
///M 4 Life
Captain
15

 
///M 4 Life's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ///M6 CP
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Central Jersey


Posts: 857
iTrader: (0)

Has anyone else tried this on a stock xpipe?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 04:31 AM   #43
Tomislav
Panty Schtuffer
Australia
3

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne


Posts: 265
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
I was thinking moreso along the lines of deleting the x-pipe and replacing that section with a H pipe.
__________________
.: 2010 E71 X6M - stock, daily driver, towcar :.
.: 2008 E92 M3 - 6MT, Carbon Roof, Eibach Springs, Megan Axle Back exhaust :.
.: 1997 E36 323i Frankenstein - too much to list, track whore, stripped, caged, MoTeC, S85B50 :.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 12:24 PM   #44
Keik E92 M3
Banned
United_States
47

 
Drives: BMW M3 DCT
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SoCal


Posts: 1,349
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2009 BMW  [4.50]
2011 BMW 335i  [3.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor251 View Post
Im really interested to see what you think. What mid pipe do you currently have?
I have a custom full exhaust no cats, no res. I will be adding res first then the H and ill take some sound clips.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST