BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-17-2012, 12:24 AM   #1
///M 4 Life
Captain
15

 
///M 4 Life's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ///M6 CP
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Central Jersey


Posts: 857
iTrader: (0)

Rubbing issues

I just installed my club sports the other day with spacers and the rears keep rubbing when I hit bumps. What can I do to stop it? The spacers in the rear are 15mm which are a little aggressive but I really like how popped out the wheels are! Has anyone rolled their fenders to stop rubbing or can this even be done on an m3? Or should I just get a smaller spacer and how small is my question? Thanks for any info!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 08:10 AM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
156


 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas


Posts: 13,116
iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
I have no issues running the 15mm rears.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 08:25 AM   #3
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
114

 
positiveions's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 MKV JETTA 2.5 & E90 M3 :)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Verne, CA


Posts: 10,520
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via MSN to positiveions Send a message via Yahoo to positiveions
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M 4 Life View Post
I just installed my club sports the other day with spacers and the rears keep rubbing when I hit bumps. What can I do to stop it? The spacers in the rear are 15mm which are a little aggressive but I really like how popped out the wheels are! Has anyone rolled their fenders to stop rubbing or can this even be done on an m3? Or should I just get a smaller spacer and how small is my question? Thanks for any info!
was it aligned perfectly? sometimes, tweaking the alignment can rectify the problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 05:24 PM   #4
///M 4 Life
Captain
15

 
///M 4 Life's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ///M6 CP
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Central Jersey


Posts: 857
iTrader: (0)

As far as alignment it's feeling great. I feel like the rubbing is a little to much every time there is a bigger than normal bump it rubs.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 01:53 AM   #5
YouW1n
Private
Taiwan
0

 
Drives: 2013 F06 M6 Gran Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Taipei


Posts: 57
iTrader: (2)

I ran into the same problem while running 15mm spacers in the rear. I also lowered the car with H&R springs and the car itself was a ZCP model.

It rubbed on bumps but that was enough to concern me because my rear fender sticks "slightly" out a little more now. I switched the rear to 12mm spacers and after that there was no more rubbing! I was aware that I could have tried to roll my fenders but I just didn't want to go that route to reduce my cars value if i trade in.

As far as looks goes... the 15mm definitely looks better... it was pretty surprising for me to see that the 3mm made a difference to me. Nevertheless... it feels a lot better to be able to drive without having to worry about rubbing!!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 07:55 AM   #6
///M 4 Life
Captain
15

 
///M 4 Life's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ///M6 CP
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Central Jersey


Posts: 857
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouW1n View Post
I ran into the same problem while running 15mm spacers in the rear. I also lowered the car with H&R springs and the car itself was a ZCP model.

It rubbed on bumps but that was enough to concern me because my rear fender sticks "slightly" out a little more now. I switched the rear to 12mm spacers and after that there was no more rubbing! I was aware that I could have tried to roll my fenders but I just didn't want to go that route to reduce my cars value if i trade in.

As far as looks goes... the 15mm definitely looks better... it was pretty surprising for me to see that the 3mm made a difference to me. Nevertheless... it feels a lot better to be able to drive without having to worry about rubbing!!
I agree I like the way the 15's look but for now I'm just gonna take them off completely for now till i get anither set cause it is very annoying to be worrying about the car rubbing on every bump in the road.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #7
YouW1n
Private
Taiwan
0

 
Drives: 2013 F06 M6 Gran Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Taipei


Posts: 57
iTrader: (2)

completely agree with you man. i don't know how the roads are up there in jersey but we got it bad here in most of massachusetts. for me... i ordered a set of 12mm in like 3 days hahah. just couldn't stand the rubbing issues. whenever i heard it when i was driving i just wanted to pull over immediately (on the highway) and just check if my car was alright hahaha.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #8
tha_good_life
Brigadier General
United_States
68

 
tha_good_life's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 JzB E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seattle


Posts: 3,910
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.33]
I would go with smaller spacers or raise the car. I'm running 295 on the rear and had the same issue. Instead, I went with rolling my fenders which costed a lot more than what I wanted to spend. (paint cracked during the fender role. Due to the rubbing)
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 10:02 PM   #9
///M 4 Life
Captain
15

 
///M 4 Life's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ///M6 CP
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Central Jersey


Posts: 857
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapesta206 View Post
I would go with smaller spacers or raise the car. I'm running 295 on the rear and had the same issue. Instead, I went with rolling my fenders which costed a lot more than what I wanted to spend. (paint cracked during the fender role. Due to the rubbing)
How do they roll the m3 fenders? Do you have any pics of the process? I already ordered some smaller spacers so I'm gonna see how it works out. I don't want to mess with the height cause I don't want to screw the corner balance up and have to do it again. But I do have a feeling I might have to. Do you also have club sports on your M? What setting do you have it on?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 10:19 PM   #10
tha_good_life
Brigadier General
United_States
68

 
tha_good_life's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 JzB E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seattle


Posts: 3,910
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M 4 Life View Post
How do they roll the m3 fenders? Do you have any pics of the process? I already ordered some smaller spacers so I'm gonna see how it works out. I don't want to mess with the height cause I don't want to screw the corner balance up and have to do it again. But I do have a feeling I might have to. Do you also have club sports on your M? What setting do you have it on?
I have the V3. I believe it's a tool. You can kinda see where the arch is made.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:47 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST