BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Strasse Wheels
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-10-2012, 01:54 AM   #23
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
74

 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC


Posts: 6,777
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
can that be true? so once off warranty any problem mean whole new tranny?
Exactly...I know on all e9x if you have a gear, syncro, or in this case input shaft bearing that needs replacing its new tranny time..yet another reason why I wont be keeping this car outside of warranty
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 01:59 AM   #24
RenoE92M3
Private
1

 
Drives: melbourne red e92 m3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Reno/Tahoe


Posts: 85
iTrader: (0)

Yes the tech said BMW wont let them inspect the transmission in the US they have to send it to Germany.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 02:09 AM   #25
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
74

 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC


Posts: 6,777
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoE92M3 View Post
Yes the tech said BMW wont let them inspect the transmission in the US they have to send it to Germany.
BMW doesnt make any replacement parts available so it would be useless for them to do anything but replace entire gearbox..

Did he happen to mention why?..older BMWs you can buy interal tranny parts
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 02:19 AM   #26
RenoE92M3
Private
1

 
Drives: melbourne red e92 m3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Reno/Tahoe


Posts: 85
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
BMW doesnt make any replacement parts available so it would be useless for them to do anything but replace entire gearbox..

Did he happen to mention why?..older BMWs you can buy interal tranny parts
Don't worry they will start coming out with parts.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 04:00 AM   #27
JIO
Captain
12

 
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92 M3 w/DCT
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Eugene, Oregon


Posts: 627
iTrader: (0)

Oh boy...do I get to be the 1st?...Glad I got DCT...he he

Just joking, as the 6-speed people are always messing with our DCT woes like how we can't seem to figure out how to engage launch control because we never RTFM.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 07:07 AM   #28
ChrisK
Brigadier General
United_States
85

 
ChrisK's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: IL


Posts: 4,864
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIO View Post
Oh boy...do I get to be the 1st?...Glad I got DCT...he he

Just joking, as the 6-speed people are always messing with our DCT woes like how we can't seem to figure out how to engage launch control because we never RTFM.
+1
__________________

2011 E92 M3: AW/BLK • DCT
Europäische Lieferung am 6. August 2010
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 11:35 AM   #29
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
39

 
BMRLVR's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada


Posts: 2,331
iTrader: (3)

Since the cost of removing the transmission, tearing it down, inspecting, replacing parts, putting it back together, and reinstalling it would cost BMW more to pay the labour than their cost of the new transmission.

Once more of these cars get older and off of warranty internal transmission parts will become available.
__________________
2011 E90 M3 ZCP - Individual Moonstone/Individual Amarone Extended/Individual Piano Black With Inlay:LINK!!!
1994 Euro E36 M3 Sedan - Daytona Violet/Mulberry:LINK!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 12:18 PM   #30
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
74

 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC


Posts: 6,777
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoE92M3 View Post
Don't worry they will start coming out with parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
Once more of these cars get older and off of warranty internal transmission parts will become available.
I am not hopeful..the e9x do not have any internal trans parts and 5 years later still dont..the aftermarket cannot make any parts since there isnt OEM parts made and THIS is what I suspected all along... BMW holds a monopoly on this..BIG money in transmission repairs.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #31
m3an
Banned
19

 
m3an's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South Florida


Posts: 1,611
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
I am not hopeful..the e9x do not have any internal trans parts and 5 years later still dont..the aftermarket cannot make any parts since there isnt OEM parts made and THIS is what I suspected all along... BMW holds a monopoly on this..BIG money in transmission repairs.
+1


, but most newer cars (non hobbyist type) are like this. Its supply and demand. There is no demand for replacement tranny parts, hence why no a/m are producing them. I forget but the OEM also holds the parts rights for a # of years before others can even then produce them. You guys should feel good, the 6spd is a very good/robust trans. Too much worrying all started over one person who had theirs replaced.. It is noisy though (TO bearing). More weird is I notice a slight fluctuation in RPM w/ the clutch in. Anyone else?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:19 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST