BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-08-2012, 09:06 AM   #1
bmw_e46
Private
2
Rep
50
Posts

 
Drives: Grey 2009 M3 Series
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NA

iTrader: (0)

Exclamation Slight leak at differential oil

Hi all, can some one tell me if the seal at the differential is replaceable....have a slight leak.here is the pic...

Any one else with this issue?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #2
M3PO
Colonel
M3PO's Avatar
34
Rep
2,777
Posts

 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

iTrader: (7)

Don't see the pic but I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about and yes it is replaceable. The driver's side leaked on my car and a 2010 that I installed an exhaust on. The dealer replaced mine no problem. I think that this is a more prevalent problem than people realize.
__________________
2008 IB E92 M3| BBS | KW | Arkym | Platte Forme A.G. | Active Autowerke | K&N | Fabspeed | Dinan | Evolve-R
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
TX335
Private First Class
1
Rep
156
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: DFW

iTrader: (0)

I just had mine replaced after taking the car in for a track inspection. Must be a more common problem than I thought.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 07:33 AM   #4
bmw_e46
Private
2
Rep
50
Posts

 
Drives: Grey 2009 M3 Series
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NA

iTrader: (0)

Hi,

yea, wonder why the pic did not get loaded. 2nd try.

are we talking about the same thing here?

If yes, any idea on the part no.?

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
Don't see the pic but I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about and yes it is replaceable. The driver's side leaked on my car and a 2010 that I installed an exhaust on. The dealer replaced mine no problem. I think that this is a more prevalent problem than people realize.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 07:34 AM   #5
bmw_e46
Private
2
Rep
50
Posts

 
Drives: Grey 2009 M3 Series
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NA

iTrader: (0)

Hi ,

could you have a look at the pic which seems to be loaded and see if the same part ?

also, if you have the part no., it would be great?

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX335 View Post
I just had mine replaced after taking the car in for a track inspection. Must be a more common problem than I thought.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #6
TX335
Private First Class
1
Rep
156
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: DFW

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_e46 View Post
Hi ,

could you have a look at the pic which seems to be loaded and see if the same part ?

also, if you have the part no., it would be great?

thanks
I didn't do the work, actually. I'll have to ask the shop that did it for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 09:32 AM   #7
bmw_e46
Private
2
Rep
50
Posts

 
Drives: Grey 2009 M3 Series
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX335 View Post
I didn't do the work, actually. I'll have to ask the shop that did it for me.
I think it would be a big help if you could clarify....
Sounds like there are others who experience the same.

Cheers and thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #8
M3PO
Colonel
M3PO's Avatar
34
Rep
2,777
Posts

 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

iTrader: (7)

Mine was leaking from the left half shaft seal.

1 33-10-7-510-289 Shaft seal with lock.
__________________
2008 IB E92 M3| BBS | KW | Arkym | Platte Forme A.G. | Active Autowerke | K&N | Fabspeed | Dinan | Evolve-R
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 12:21 PM   #9
m3an
Banned
m3an's Avatar
19
Rep
1,611
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (2)

yes, they are replaceable seals on each side.. Every M i had would weep slightly there and most I have seen do too. Its' not uncommon, I wouldn't worry unless it's really leaking.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #10
bigjae1976
That's what she said...
bigjae1976's Avatar
84
Rep
5,659
Posts

 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
A wet stain is somewhat normal. If you see drips...time to replace. It was a relatively easy job on my E46.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 12:24 PM   #11
M3PO
Colonel
M3PO's Avatar
34
Rep
2,777
Posts

 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

iTrader: (7)

Mine was starting to coat the cooler, but no drips.
__________________
2008 IB E92 M3| BBS | KW | Arkym | Platte Forme A.G. | Active Autowerke | K&N | Fabspeed | Dinan | Evolve-R
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 12:35 PM   #12
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
75
Rep
6,775
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (4)

I dont think ANY wetness or leaks around diff is normal..change the seals..most likely culprit
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 01:15 PM   #13
bigjae1976
That's what she said...
bigjae1976's Avatar
84
Rep
5,659
Posts

 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
I dont think ANY wetness or leaks around diff is normal..change the seals..most likely culprit
If you follow the guideline of refilling the diff until the fluid leaks out of the drain hole...you'll get a little bit of normal leakage. The amount should be very small and shouldn't amount to more than staining.

If the E9X design is like the E46...for those who go to the track, you'll be changing those seals everytime you climb under the car. If you see the design of the seal, there is a spring on the side of the opening for the output flange. That spring holds the seal against the flange which creates the seal. That spring is not super tight and won't prevent all seepage. It does prevent your diff fluid from pouring out.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #14
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
75
Rep
6,775
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
If you follow the guideline of refilling the diff until the fluid leaks out of the drain hole...you'll get a little bit of normal leakage. The amount should be very small and shouldn't amount to more than staining.

If the E9X design is like the E46...for those who go to the track, you'll be changing those seals everytime you climb under the car. If you see the design of the seal, there is a spring on the side of the opening for the output flange. That spring holds the seal against the flange which creates the seal. That spring is not super tight and won't prevent all seepage. It does prevent your diff fluid from pouring out.
So you saying on the e46 some seepage is normal..so then this would necessitate periodically topping off diff oil?..

I have been under my diff countless times and its dry as a bone..hopefully the e92 is immune from this
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 01:40 PM   #15
bigjae1976
That's what she said...
bigjae1976's Avatar
84
Rep
5,659
Posts

 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
So you saying on the e46 some seepage is normal..so then this would necessitate periodically topping off diff oil?..

I have been under my diff countless times and its dry as a bone..hopefully the e92 is immune from this
No need to top off...its just a little excess coming out. I only noticed this issue when I started tracking the car.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #16
m3an
Banned
m3an's Avatar
19
Rep
1,611
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (2)

yes, a weep and leak are two way diff things. That being said, I never saw a need to top it off. We are talking about a very minimal amount
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 06:34 PM   #17
M3PO
Colonel
M3PO's Avatar
34
Rep
2,777
Posts

 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
So you saying on the e46 some seepage is normal..so then this would necessitate periodically topping off diff oil?..

I have been under my diff countless times and its dry as a bone..hopefully the e92 is immune from this
It's not.
__________________
2008 IB E92 M3| BBS | KW | Arkym | Platte Forme A.G. | Active Autowerke | K&N | Fabspeed | Dinan | Evolve-R
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 09:21 PM   #18
mountainste
New Member
0
Rep
9
Posts

 
Drives: auto
Join Date: May 2012
Location: foy

iTrader: (0)

I just had mine replaced after taking the car in for a track inspection
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 05:39 AM   #19
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Bubbles's Avatar
Cayman Islands
86
Rep
3,560
Posts

 
Drives: Green Bastard
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bishop Bend

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
If the E9X design is like the E46...for those who go to the track, you'll be changing those seals everytime you climb under the car. If you see the design of the seal, there is a spring on the side of the opening for the output flange. That spring holds the seal against the flange which creates the seal. That spring is not super tight and won't prevent all seepage. It does prevent your diff fluid from pouring out.
It's the same seal and I agreed the spring is very flimsy. Seems to be a common problem however many folks won't see it unless they track the car.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 08:34 AM   #20
bmw_e46
Private
2
Rep
50
Posts

 
Drives: Grey 2009 M3 Series
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NA

iTrader: (0)

Hi all, thanks for the inputs.
Yea, I have just changed the fluid and put it to the
brim. Its been 2 days now since the last leak.

Look s like the leak is gone.

Knowing the info from here made me feel better.

However, if anyone knows the part number....help put the number here.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 08:46 AM   #21
bigjae1976
That's what she said...
bigjae1976's Avatar
84
Rep
5,659
Posts

 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
It's the same seal and I agreed the spring is very flimsy. Seems to be a common problem however many folks won't see it unless they track the car.
The one thing I will add is if you DIY, be sure to take a good mental note of how deep the seal is. Because you can put it in too deep and it will leak even more (that's what she said).
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
differential, leak

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST