BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-24-2012, 03:07 AM   #1
Silence
Private
 
Drives: Audi S4
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vegas

Posts: 54
iTrader: (2)

Rear cf diffuser coming loose on corner..help!

Anyone ever had this issue? It's not holding anymore on passenger side on far lower corner. I assume best way is to retape it with some 3m, but which one?

Thanks for the help.
Silence is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-24-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
the_works
BMW
 
the_works's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW M3 E92
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Twin Cities

Posts: 51
iTrader: (0)

Depending on how wide the bonding flange I recommend going to autozone and get a package of mounting tap 3m #3616 . It's 7/8in. Wide and is super sticky. Make sure you clean the surface off with alcohol or soap and water.
the_works is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-24-2012, 11:02 PM   #3
BLACK OPS
Captain
 
BLACK OPS's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NM, USA

Posts: 775
iTrader: (0)

I'm having same issue. May need to completely remove diffuser, remove all tape, CLEAN both surfaces very well, reapply auto 3M tape to diffuser, have extra set of hands and painters tape to help hold diffuser and adhese.
Attached Images
 
__________________

2011.5 Jet Black E92 ///M3: ZCP|6MT|BB|DINAN|EVOLVE|BPM|VORSTEINER|BMW PERFORMANCE|IND EDITION|TMS|LUX 5K|
BLACK OPS is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-01-2012, 05:28 PM   #4
Silence
Private
 
Drives: Audi S4
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vegas

Posts: 54
iTrader: (2)

fyi - just redid mine last night with the 7/8" auto tape, and so far so good. Removal of the previous tape was a pain, but got it off after an hour or so.
Silence is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-01-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
SchnellM3
Digger
 
SchnellM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 03 E46 M3, 09 E92 M3, 09 X6 50
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Pa

Posts: 2,616
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
I used Beta Link on mine because of the heat that the exhaust puts out I didn't want to risk the tape being effected by it, even though most use the tape with success.

Only problem with the epoxy is that its definitely more permanent should I decide to switch it out in the future...
__________________
2009 E92 M3 /// Melbourne Red /// Fox Red /// M DKG

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
SchnellM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-02-2012, 03:06 AM   #6
M3PO
Colonel
 
M3PO's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

Posts: 2,721
iTrader: (6)

I have found that heating the bumper and/or diffuser with a hair dryer helps ensure good initial adhesion.
__________________
2008 IB E92 M3| BBS | KW | Arkym | Platte Forme A.G. | Active Autowerke | K&N | Fabspeed | Dinan | Evolve-R
M3PO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-02-2012, 07:53 AM   #7
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,065
iTrader: (44)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
I have found that heating the bumper and/or diffuser with a hair dryer helps ensure good initial adhesion.
^This and using an isopropyl alcohol solution on the area to be glued to will help with adhesion.
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #8
Space Ghost
Captain
 
Space Ghost's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: USA-PA

Posts: 625
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK OPS View Post
I'm having same issue. May need to completely remove diffuser, remove all tape, CLEAN both surfaces very well, reapply auto 3M tape to diffuser, have extra set of hands and painters tape to help hold diffuser and adhese.
I have the same issue with the GTS-V diffuser. The fitment is off. It does not follow the contoure of the bumper so the corners lift. I'm thinking of affixing it somehow from the back of the bumper using screws or bolts on the ends. Sux for a $1k+ part.
__________________

2008 E92 M3, ESS VT-1, AA Full Exhaust, Volk TE-37, PSS10, ST BBK, ARKYM Motorsport Spliter, Vorsteiner Diffuser, BMW Edition Grill/Gill's, BMW Performance Spoiler, AUTOcoture Blacked Out Headlights, LCI Tail lights, Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber Center Dash Insert, Ultimate Racing Pedals (Because Race Car), AA SSK, Speed Cloth.
Space Ghost is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #9
Alex@Autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Alex@Autocouture's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3, E92 Frozen GTS
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ny

Posts: 3,303
iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2011.75 E90 BMW M3  [3.83]
2011 bmw/ m3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Ghost View Post
I have the same issue with the GTS-V diffuser. The fitment is off. It does not follow the contoure of the bumper so the corners lift. I'm thinking of affixing it somehow from the back of the bumper using screws or bolts on the ends. Sux for a $1k+ part.
thats what i did with mine, put screw through it to keep it nice and tight
__________________
AUTOcouture Motoring | 15-01 Pollitt Drive St. 6, Fair Lawn NJ 07410
201.666.3500 | Alex@autocouturemotoring.com
Alex@Autocouture is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #10
Space Ghost
Captain
 
Space Ghost's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: USA-PA

Posts: 625
iTrader: (5)

Is it much of a hassle to remove the cover?
__________________

2008 E92 M3, ESS VT-1, AA Full Exhaust, Volk TE-37, PSS10, ST BBK, ARKYM Motorsport Spliter, Vorsteiner Diffuser, BMW Edition Grill/Gill's, BMW Performance Spoiler, AUTOcoture Blacked Out Headlights, LCI Tail lights, Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber Center Dash Insert, Ultimate Racing Pedals (Because Race Car), AA SSK, Speed Cloth.
Space Ghost is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-02-2012, 05:57 PM   #11
Brucewonder
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Brucewonder's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 yea boi
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Socal

Posts: 1,543
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex@AUTOcouture View Post
thats what i did with mine, put screw through it to keep it nice and tight
where did you put the screws...any pics?
__________________
2011.5 E92 ///M3 SSII/FR
Brucewonder is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #12
Alex@Autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Alex@Autocouture's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3, E92 Frozen GTS
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ny

Posts: 3,303
iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2011.75 E90 BMW M3  [3.83]
2011 bmw/ m3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Ghost View Post
Is it much of a hassle to remove the cover?
The tape is still new so you won't have to sit there like I was when you came In lol, I drilled holes from the back of the bumper Into the diffuser on each corner for better fitment and also used 3m
__________________
AUTOcouture Motoring | 15-01 Pollitt Drive St. 6, Fair Lawn NJ 07410
201.666.3500 | Alex@autocouturemotoring.com
Alex@Autocouture is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #13
Alex@Autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Alex@Autocouture's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3, E92 Frozen GTS
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ny

Posts: 3,303
iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2011.75 E90 BMW M3  [3.83]
2011 bmw/ m3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucewonder View Post
where did you put the screws...any pics?
I have a challenge one, it's on the ends, no pics, and it's not easy to explain without the diffuser in front of you
__________________
AUTOcouture Motoring | 15-01 Pollitt Drive St. 6, Fair Lawn NJ 07410
201.666.3500 | Alex@autocouturemotoring.com
Alex@Autocouture is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #14
Brucewonder
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Brucewonder's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 yea boi
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Socal

Posts: 1,543
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex@AUTOcouture View Post
I have a challenge one, it's on the ends, no pics, and it's not easy to explain without the diffuser in front of you
that makes sense...i thought you figured a way to do that to the ends of the arkym or Vors type I
__________________
2011.5 E92 ///M3 SSII/FR
Brucewonder is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #15
Alex@Autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Alex@Autocouture's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3, E92 Frozen GTS
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ny

Posts: 3,303
iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2011.75 E90 BMW M3  [3.83]
2011 bmw/ m3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucewonder View Post
that makes sense...i thought you figured a way to do that to the ends of the arkym or Vors type I
I'm sure I could figure it out if I had one in front of me again
__________________
AUTOcouture Motoring | 15-01 Pollitt Drive St. 6, Fair Lawn NJ 07410
201.666.3500 | Alex@autocouturemotoring.com
Alex@Autocouture is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-03-2012, 12:47 AM   #16
BLACK OPS
Captain
 
BLACK OPS's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NM, USA

Posts: 775
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Ghost View Post
I have the same issue with the GTS-V diffuser. The fitment is off. It does not follow the contoure of the bumper so the corners lift. I'm thinking of affixing it somehow from the back of the bumper using screws or bolts on the ends. Sux for a $1k+ part.
Well I guess it's good to know I'm not the only one. I thought the fitment would be spot on but I suppose I should expect this for any aftermarket piece. Drill my bumper?

I'd be interested in seeing some pictures with screw attachment before I maim my bumper.
__________________

2011.5 Jet Black E92 ///M3: ZCP|6MT|BB|DINAN|EVOLVE|BPM|VORSTEINER|BMW PERFORMANCE|IND EDITION|TMS|LUX 5K|
BLACK OPS is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-03-2012, 07:48 AM   #17
Space Ghost
Captain
 
Space Ghost's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: USA-PA

Posts: 625
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex@AUTOcouture View Post
The tape is still new so you won't have to sit there like I was when you came In lol, I drilled holes from the back of the bumper Into the diffuser on each corner for better fitment and also used 3m
Not the diffuser, the actual bumper cover.
__________________

2008 E92 M3, ESS VT-1, AA Full Exhaust, Volk TE-37, PSS10, ST BBK, ARKYM Motorsport Spliter, Vorsteiner Diffuser, BMW Edition Grill/Gill's, BMW Performance Spoiler, AUTOcoture Blacked Out Headlights, LCI Tail lights, Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber Center Dash Insert, Ultimate Racing Pedals (Because Race Car), AA SSK, Speed Cloth.
Space Ghost is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-03-2012, 08:06 AM   #18
bigjae1976
Takes threads off topic...daily
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 5,311
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
I put A screw in over the exhaust tips with a speed clip on the backside. I did it with the exhaust off. My challenge diffuser wouldn't stay tight with tape.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
bigjae1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #19
GTM_Challenge
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
GTM_Challenge's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3,X5M,F30 335
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chicago

Posts: 2,682
iTrader: (7)

Send a message via AIM to GTM_Challenge
Its best to use 3M adhesive promoter pads after cleaning on the bumper surface area where the tap will make contact. We started shipping all our parts that use tape with a little packet that includes this. We found it the best way to ensure good sticking. On any diffuser panel, from any maker, the installer is the key component to good fitment ( within reason of course )

Your installer should score the tape in 2 areas so you end up with 3 tape sections. Dog ear the end of each section to make pull tabs, hold it up to the car with the tabs sticking out to be sure its center and remove the center-most tape backer while holding it against the car. This allows the part to contour to the body panel and have as much surface area of tape making contact. With now a left and right section left, you do the same, starting towards the center and working towards the end of the part pushing it against the bumper from the front and rear as you go along. Repeat on the opposite side. I know it seems like it should just be a peel and stick on task, but using the right install technique is really key. The same process applies to front lips, trunk spoilers, side skirts etc.
GTM_Challenge is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-04-2012, 11:45 PM   #20
BLACK OPS
Captain
 
BLACK OPS's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NM, USA

Posts: 775
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTM_Challenge
Its best to use 3M adhesive promoter pads after cleaning on the bumper surface area where the tap will make contact. We started shipping all our parts that use tape with a little packet that includes this. We found it the best way to ensure good sticking. On any diffuser panel, from any maker, the installer is the key component to good fitment ( within reason of course )

Your installer should score the tape in 2 areas so you end up with 3 tape sections. Dog ear the end of each section to make pull tabs, hold it up to the car with the tabs sticking out to be sure its center and remove the center-most tape backer while holding it against the car. This allows the part to contour to the body panel and have as much surface area of tape making contact. With now a left and right section left, you do the same, starting towards the center and working towards the end of the part pushing it against the bumper from the front and rear as you go along. Repeat on the opposite side. I know it seems like it should just be a peel and stick on task, but using the right install technique is really key. The same process applies to front lips, trunk spoilers, side skirts etc.
Do you have a photo of the tape location and dog ear tabs you are describing for a diffuser?

Seems like a 2 or 3 man project for best results
__________________

2011.5 Jet Black E92 ///M3: ZCP|6MT|BB|DINAN|EVOLVE|BPM|VORSTEINER|BMW PERFORMANCE|IND EDITION|TMS|LUX 5K|
BLACK OPS is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-05-2012, 12:19 AM   #21
circlek
Private
 
circlek's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 M3 6MT
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: "The" OC

Posts: 63
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTM_Challenge View Post
Its best to use 3M adhesive promoter pads after cleaning on the bumper surface area where the tap will make contact. We started shipping all our parts that use tape with a little packet that includes this. We found it the best way to ensure good sticking. On any diffuser panel, from any maker, the installer is the key component to good fitment ( within reason of course )

Your installer should score the tape in 2 areas so you end up with 3 tape sections. Dog ear the end of each section to make pull tabs, hold it up to the car with the tabs sticking out to be sure its center and remove the center-most tape backer while holding it against the car. This allows the part to contour to the body panel and have as much surface area of tape making contact. With now a left and right section left, you do the same, starting towards the center and working towards the end of the part pushing it against the bumper from the front and rear as you go along. Repeat on the opposite side. I know it seems like it should just be a peel and stick on task, but using the right install technique is really key. The same process applies to front lips, trunk spoilers, side skirts etc.


This is a good reference for mounting. I would like to follow these instructions to mount the Challenge Race Diffuser I PAID for a year ago and have yet to receive even though I hear continued promises of it shipping soon.
__________________
circlek is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2012, 10:51 AM   #22
GTM_Challenge
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
GTM_Challenge's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3,X5M,F30 335
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chicago

Posts: 2,682
iTrader: (7)

Send a message via AIM to GTM_Challenge
Quote:
Originally Posted by circlek View Post
This is a good reference for mounting. I would like to follow these instructions to mount the Challenge Race Diffuser I PAID for a year ago and have yet to receive even though I hear continued promises of it shipping soon.
Challenge has not taken any funds/orders on diffusers for open orders and will not until we we have it back on the shelf. Dealers have asked to tell the customers the same. If you have a pending order, i would suggest requesting the funds refunded from your dealer so that you are not out any money. We are still keeping orders submitted in the system so that those that want them once on hand have first dibs and only ask payment from our dealers at that time.

Right now the Coupe race diffuser mold is being redone in CNC aluminum for a pre-preg carbon part. This new method being used will ensure the consistant finish we desired as well as faster production times.

Feel free to PM me if you need any help on your order as well.
GTM_Challenge is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:49 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST