BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-18-2012, 01:06 AM   #23
FR01
First Lieutenant
FR01's Avatar
6
Rep
350
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Jose

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
I agree with the OP I'm loving it...it's a great weighting at speed. Same as my boxster s.

Only one question has BMW heard that others make a power steering cap/resovoir that doesn't leak when u hit hard curves/banking?
__________________

2011 M3 Dakar Yellow-Black Leather-Comp Pkg-DCT-Akra Evo-AP BBK Front-VOLK RE30/BBS GT4 18x10" Square
1995 M3 Boston Green - Chipped - Ground Control Coilovers - APEX ARC8
Past: 2005 Porsche Boxster S-Silver-6spd-Fabspeed Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 01:19 AM   #24
joshparzi
Private
United_States
0
Rep
64
Posts

Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: 818 LA

iTrader: (2)

get a rag and zip tie it around the power steering reservoir, just make sure to take it off when you go in for service, some dealers assume that the car has been tracked if u took a preventative measure to stop power steering fluid from over flowing
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 02:39 AM   #25
doubleo
Memento Mori
doubleo's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
118
Posts

Drives: '11 E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom_cmh View Post
I'm new to my M3 but one of the things I noticed last week when I had a 328i loaner from the dealer while my car was in for service was the 328i had much more resistance when turning the wheel than the M3 does. With my M3 I could use my pinky finger to turn at low speeds or a stop but the 328i was almost difficult even at low speeds.

I'm curious as to why this is? Obviously our suspension is entirely different but this felt more like just having a better power steering pump or something.

(side note, I can never get over how bad the throttle response is on an automatic 328i. I'm not talking about in comparison to an M3, it just sucks in general. You mash on the gas and it literally thinks about it for a second or two before responding. Almost dangerously at times)
TOTALLY agree with you. I actually thought something was wrong with my steering wheel once I got back into my M3 lol. As far as the throttle response.. i hate IT! I almost got into a couple of accidents because I couldn't accelerate fast enough
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 06:18 AM   #26
jamze132
Second Lieutenant
jamze132's Avatar
Germany
7
Rep
259
Posts

Drives: 2011 X6M
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Wiesbaden, Germany

iTrader: (0)

I made the same comment to my wife about her 1 Series that the OP mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 09:34 AM   #27
spdy330
Major General
spdy330's Avatar
United_States
100
Rep
6,078
Posts

Drives: 05 Tundra, 11 M3, 08 Odyssey
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chino, CA

iTrader: (161)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to spdy330 Send a message via Yahoo to spdy330
When I went from my 330 to an M3 the steering was completely different. I actually like the feel of the M3 steering much better than my previous 330.
__________________
If you will be purchasing ANY AT&T services online or in store could you mention that you were referred by me? My Employee Referral ID is eo4489. This would be a great help and it costs you nothing, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #28
dom_cmh
First Lieutenant
dom_cmh's Avatar
6
Rep
303
Posts

Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Columbus, Ohio

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamze132 View Post
I made the same comment to my wife about her 1 Series that the OP mentioned.
What's odd is that with the 328 it wasn't the lack of power that concerned me...it was that when I "hit the gas" it just didn't seem to even try for a second or two. I'm very familiar with cars that have smaller engines that so it's not that I expect speed but wow is that scary if you are not accustomed to it.
__________________
2008 E90 M3| Sparkling Graphite | Fox Red | 6MT | PDC | Premium Package | Tech Package | Sat Radio |
Moonroof | 19" wheels | Tint | Illuminated ZHP Knob | Increased Clutch Stop | Black Chrome "Edition" Grills
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 10:29 PM   #29
Titanium Silver
Four Star General
6
Rep
589
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

328 is way harder to turn the wheel when driving slow or stopped than the M3. Driving at speed, the steering is much more stable and stiffer. Its the steering servo on the M that adjusts to road speeds.
__________________


E92 M3 | Jet Black | All OEM Everything
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 10:34 PM   #30
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
75
Rep
6,775
Posts

Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (4)

Coming out of a 335 into an M3 I also felt immediately that the M3's low speed steering feel was much lighter..but I think it has more to do with the extensive use of lighter, aluminum suspension components..less with over -assisted power steering
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 12:27 AM   #31
chris719
Lieutenant
7
Rep
480
Posts

Drives: '08 M Roadster
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Steering in non-M e9x is a bit artificially stiff. Not quite as bad as 05 and earlier G35 coupe but close.

The throttle response on e9x 328 loaners I had was scary. My Mazda 3 does not do that... when I press the gas it goes. It sucks so much I have no idea how anyone could drive that car daily in anything other than DS mode.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 06:11 AM   #32
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
214
Rep
13,939
Posts

Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
Coming out of a 335 into an M3 I also felt immediately that the M3's low speed steering feel was much lighter..but I think it has more to do with the extensive use of lighter, aluminum suspension components..less with over -assisted power steering
I actually strongly doubt that. An M3 without Servotronic would no doubt feel much more like a 3 series steering wise. The Servotronic is making for most of the difference, not the suspension components.
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 07:24 AM   #33
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
75
Rep
6,775
Posts

Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I actually strongly doubt that. An M3 without Servotronic would no doubt feel much more like a 3 series steering wise. The Servotronic is making for most of the difference, not the suspension components.
Your probably correct..was just a theory
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 01:21 PM   #34
sle39lvr
Lieutenant
14
Rep
544
Posts

Drives: 08 328i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: United States

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshparzi View Post
get a rag and zip tie it around the power steering reservoir, just make sure to take it off when you go in for service, some dealers assume that the car has been tracked if u took a preventative measure to stop power steering fluid from over flowing
Sorry to bring up an old thread. Could you elaborate this a little more?

I have a E90 328i and I was sad to find out that the rack on this was "ENGINE speed sensitive" rather than "Vehicle Speed Sensitive". This makes sense because even in low-speeds if I get the engine to past 4Krpms, steering gets stiff and really nice to give more feed back from tires. Just wish this was "Vehicle Speed Sensitive", so on highway it feels nicer. I have an auto and it hunts for the higher gear all the time, so I am below 3Krpms 90% time and with over-assisted steering
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #35
KJ
First Lieutenant
Canada
9
Rep
379
Posts

Drives: 2008 E92 M3 - Alpine White
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sle39lvr View Post
Sorry to bring up an old thread. Could you elaborate this a little more?

I have a E90 328i and I was sad to find out that the rack on this was "ENGINE speed sensitive" rather than "Vehicle Speed Sensitive". This makes sense because even in low-speeds if I get the engine to past 4Krpms, steering gets stiff and really nice to give more feed back from tires. Just wish this was "Vehicle Speed Sensitive", so on highway it feels nicer. I have an auto and it hunts for the higher gear all the time, so I am below 3Krpms 90% time and with over-assisted steering
If you have an M3 with Servotronic, it is Vehicle Speed Sensitive. If your car doesn't have that option, it will be Engine Speed Sensitive.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...rvotronic.html
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #36
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
18
Rep
1,771
Posts

Drives: .
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: socal

iTrader: (1)

Wasn't a fan of the light steering so would use Mdrive just for sport steering at first. Like anything though, you get use to it.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #37
sle39lvr
Lieutenant
14
Rep
544
Posts

Drives: 08 328i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: United States

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ View Post
If you have an M3 with Servotronic, it is Vehicle Speed Sensitive. If your car doesn't have that option, it will be Engine Speed Sensitive.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...rvotronic.html
Yes, I got that. I was asking about what that one post was taking about zip-tieing the resovouir.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:09 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST