BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography
 
OneEighty
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-02-2012, 09:56 PM   #3213
The1
Major General
Canada
56
Rep
5,127
Posts

 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusJ View Post
Yes, $15.25
lol you win
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 09:59 PM   #3214
The1
Major General
Canada
56
Rep
5,127
Posts

 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebl View Post
That's last years price for a very used one. You should be able to trade for a new T3i straight up.
lol, we are talking in Canadian $ which really shouldn't make a difference, but sadly it does
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 09:59 PM   #3215
MaximusJ
Colonel
MaximusJ's Avatar
Canada
37
Rep
2,122
Posts

 
Drives: 325i 2006
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Quebec, Canada

iTrader: (19)

Garage List
'06 E90  [3.72]


Is shipping included?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 09:59 PM   #3216
The1
Major General
Canada
56
Rep
5,127
Posts

 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

iTrader: (0)

for 15$, I'd drive it out there
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 10:03 PM   #3217
MaximusJ
Colonel
MaximusJ's Avatar
Canada
37
Rep
2,122
Posts

 
Drives: 325i 2006
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Quebec, Canada

iTrader: (19)

Garage List
'06 E90  [3.72]
I'll pay the first round.

Jokes aside, you're in Kitchener? That's quite a ride ahah. I'm going a couple times this summer for paintball tournaments.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 10:07 PM   #3218
The1
Major General
Canada
56
Rep
5,127
Posts

 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusJ View Post
I'll pay the first round.

Jokes aside, you're in Kitchener? That's quite a ride ahah. I'm going a couple times this summer for paintball tournaments.
I drive everywhere, a days drive is easy for me. Just toss some tunes on the stereo and just relax into the drivers seat and I'm happy. When I start getting into 15+ hours I start to get annoyed. But really the worst part about the drive is Toronto.

you'll have to let me know when you're in the area, I might have to pop over and snap some action shots
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 06:20 AM   #3219
MaximusJ
Colonel
MaximusJ's Avatar
Canada
37
Rep
2,122
Posts

 
Drives: 325i 2006
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Quebec, Canada

iTrader: (19)

Garage List
'06 E90  [3.72]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
I drive everywhere, a days drive is easy for me. Just toss some tunes on the stereo and just relax into the drivers seat and I'm happy. When I start getting into 15+ hours I start to get annoyed. But really the worst part about the drive is Toronto.

you'll have to let me know when you're in the area, I might have to pop over and snap some action shots
During those tournaments, a media pass is required to access the field. And to be honest, you dont want to go there if you're not into paintball lol. It can get real messy for a lens and camera.

You almost have to play the field layout before the games to know the deadspots and the action spots. Just so you know where you can stand and be safe and also where the action is. But if you can take the risk of being personally shot or even worst; getting shot on the optics, its a fun sport to shoot. The best pics arent from a player shooting people; but from a player actually getting shot. If you can squeeze the shutter at the same time the ball breaks on the player, you got yourself a moneyshot. And the more he gets hit, the more "colored" will be your picture. That's what you want

I get shot all the time just being a referee (And I got the damn ref jersey!); so I wouldnt be a photograph during those games. During some games of paintball, yes; but not this league. You got 10 players; 5 on each side, shooting their guns at 15 balls per second. Sometimes, its litterally raining. Players from this league would make good soldiers. Shoot first and ask questions after!

But let me know where you're located so I can know what the easiest for you. This summer, I got two in Kitchener, two in Ottawa and the remainder is in Quebec and US. No more West coast this year (means more time with the family and more time shooting things and events) !
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 01:37 PM   #3220
tekmoe
Captain
tekmoe's Avatar
13
Rep
842
Posts

 
Drives: ///M
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

If anyone is looking for a D800, run over to your nearest Best Buy asap. I just ordered one thru the store and should have it sometime next week. They had 9 left at the regional warehouse.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #3221
vachss
Captain
15
Rep
791
Posts

 
Drives: Z4 Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ventura County, CA

iTrader: (1)

So what kind of shutter counts do you guys have? I noticed some recent posts with folks talking about firing off 50-60K shots just with a single lens and realized I'm just not in the same league. I had a 20D for 4 years and sold it with maybe 20K shots on the shutter.

On my more recent 5D2 I've only got 7500 shots over the past 3 years. In fairness though I've always kept a crop body in parallel for birds/wildlife and on the progression of XSi, T2i, 7D have racked up an additional 9K shots over the same period. So maybe 17K shots total over the last 3 years. Anyway it seems that over several bodies and several years I seem to be averaging 4-5K shots per year - which I suspect makes me a real piker among most of the more serious photo-heads around here.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #3222
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
163
Rep
6,792
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN

iTrader: (15)

~20k on my 20D, over almost 7 years... <5k on my 5D2 in less than 4 months... not sure about the 5D3 yet.
__________________

Currently for sale: N/A
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 03:33 PM   #3223
M_Six
Free Thinker
M_Six's Avatar
United_States
124
Rep
5,069
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 MB C300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I have about 8k on my T1i in the 18 months I've owned it. Maybe 900 on the 7D since I got it a few months ago.
__________________
Mark
Flickr

"I know rocks. Rocks are hard."
-T. Walter
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 05:17 PM   #3224
dcstep
Major General
United_States
65
Rep
5,018
Posts

 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
If it weren't for birds and wildlife I'd have maybe 8,000 clicks per year, total. Since, I can shot 2,000 clicks in an hour, when action is high, like osprey feeding, owls fledging, etc. my count is around 30,000 per year, mostly on the 500mm lens on the 7D.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #3225
DARK_M3
Banned
33
Rep
1,294
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E90, 89 Grand Wagoneer
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: So Cal

iTrader: (3)

Question regarding high speed here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=686334

I didn't want to clutter this thread and decided to start another specifically with a question in mind.

Any insight is appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 07:30 PM   #3226
The1
Major General
Canada
56
Rep
5,127
Posts

 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusJ View Post
During those tournaments, a media pass is required to access the field. And to be honest, you dont want to go there if you're not into paintball lol. It can get real messy for a lens and camera.

You almost have to play the field layout before the games to know the deadspots and the action spots. Just so you know where you can stand and be safe and also where the action is. But if you can take the risk of being personally shot or even worst; getting shot on the optics, its a fun sport to shoot. The best pics arent from a player shooting people; but from a player actually getting shot. If you can squeeze the shutter at the same time the ball breaks on the player, you got yourself a moneyshot. And the more he gets hit, the more "colored" will be your picture. That's what you want

I get shot all the time just being a referee (And I got the damn ref jersey!); so I wouldnt be a photograph during those games. During some games of paintball, yes; but not this league. You got 10 players; 5 on each side, shooting their guns at 15 balls per second. Sometimes, its litterally raining. Players from this league would make good soldiers. Shoot first and ask questions after!

But let me know where you're located so I can know what the easiest for you. This summer, I got two in Kitchener, two in Ottawa and the remainder is in Quebec and US. No more West coast this year (means more time with the family and more time shooting things and events) !
would be neat to get a press pass for. I have a rain cover for my camera, that would work, however, wouldn't cover the front glass element. And that's where insurance comes in

Where do you guys play? in the kitchener/waterloo/cambridge area?

I'm sort of on the border of Kitchener/Waterloo. But with the expressway and the 401 going through town, everything is an easy drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 06:57 AM   #3227
MaximusJ
Colonel
MaximusJ's Avatar
Canada
37
Rep
2,122
Posts

 
Drives: 325i 2006
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Quebec, Canada

iTrader: (19)

Garage List
'06 E90  [3.72]
In Kitchener, its at Bingeman's and in Cambridge, its on King st. east.

I also got one of those covers, but you also have to think about impact. Those balls travels up to 300 ft per second. I wouldnt think it can damage a body or a lens, but would definitely be enough to break a filter or crack a lcd.

As for the shutter count, I got about 6000 clicks on my D7000 since last october and I had maybe a thousand clicks on my D5000 between may and october; so about 7000 clicks total in the last year.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 07:38 AM   #3228
The1
Major General
Canada
56
Rep
5,127
Posts

 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusJ View Post
In Kitchener, its at Bingeman's and in Cambridge, its on King st. east.

I also got one of those covers, but you also have to think about impact. Those balls travels up to 300 ft per second. I wouldnt think it can damage a body or a lens, but would definitely be enough to break a filter or crack a lcd.

As for the shutter count, I got about 6000 clicks on my D7000 since last october and I had maybe a thousand clicks on my D5000 between may and october; so about 7000 clicks total in the last year.
Bingemans isn't too far from me. Great place to take a date

I'll have to look for the one in Cambridge .
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 07:44 AM   #3229
MaximusJ
Colonel
MaximusJ's Avatar
Canada
37
Rep
2,122
Posts

 
Drives: 325i 2006
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Quebec, Canada

iTrader: (19)

Garage List
'06 E90  [3.72]
A relative had a wedding at Bingeman's last summer. It's a very nice place!

But I'm glad I didnt see the bill for that wedding. Big hall for 300+ person with open bar all night. Didnt know OPP officers could afford those kind of premiums ;p
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 07:53 AM   #3230
The1
Major General
Canada
56
Rep
5,127
Posts

 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusJ View Post
A relative had a wedding at Bingeman's last summer. It's a very nice place!

But I'm glad I didnt see the bill for that wedding. Big hall for 300+ person with open bar all night. Didnt know OPP officers could afford those kind of premiums ;p
OPP is paid well. I think my brother in law is about 65k per year after taxes, and he's only been on for 4-5 years.

A lot of the cops don't have time to spend their money either, so they buy realestate and end up sometimes retiring fairly well off.

I know if he goes to the states, he worries about being pulled over by cops there, they don't make as much there and they hate the OPP for it and find ways to make them suffer.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 08:47 AM   #3231
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
163
Rep
6,792
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN

iTrader: (15)

Supermoon tonight...

Does anyone wanna share their tips for shooting the moon? Since it's a full moon it's gonna be bright, so perhaps it won't be as straightforward as one would hope.
__________________

Currently for sale: N/A
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 08:50 AM   #3232
The1
Major General
Canada
56
Rep
5,127
Posts

 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
Supermoon tonight...

Does anyone wanna share their tips for shooting the moon? Since it's a full moon it's gonna be bright, so perhaps it won't be as straightforward as one would hope.
use your 7D and 100-400 with IS on, or a tripod.

take multiple shots as you will be shooting through atmosphere and you will get atmospheric distortion, so the more that you take, the more chance of having a few clean shots.

High ISO is not necessary. The moon is bright and you will be able to get a low ISO and fairly high shutter speed.

wait until the moon is higher up in the sky, that way there is less atmosphere to shoot through as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 09:16 AM   #3233
dcstep
Major General
United_States
65
Rep
5,018
Posts

 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
use your 7D and 100-400 with IS on, or a tripod.

take multiple shots as you will be shooting through atmosphere and you will get atmospheric distortion, so the more that you take, the more chance of having a few clean shots.

High ISO is not necessary. The moon is bright and you will be able to get a low ISO and fairly high shutter speed.

wait until the moon is higher up in the sky, that way there is less atmosphere to shoot through as well.
I would add:
Get as much focal length as you can. If you've got a 1.4x or 2.0x TC, use it. You can manual focus. Use mirror lockup and a remote release. Start at -1EV and play around with the exposure so that you can maximize contrast and resolution.

If you don't have a tripod, raise the ISO 800 in order to get the shutter speed up for hand holding.

Hand held out the car window:

Moon shot, near sunset by dcstep, on Flickr

ISO 200, f/5.6, 1/1000, Av mode at -1EV, 500mm on 7D
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 10:02 AM   #3234
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
163
Rep
6,792
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN

iTrader: (15)

leave it to Dave to stick a 500mm behemoth out a car window.
__________________

Currently for sale: N/A
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:10 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST