BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Strasse Wheels
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-23-2012, 04:32 PM   #67
OC3
Havin' a blast!
OC3's Avatar
United_States
53
Rep
4,819
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

^+1
__________________

BRP CW13 1:56 | CVR CW 2:01 | CVR CCW 2:02 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
2013 E92 M3 Jerez Black DCT ZCP | JRZ RS Pro | Brembo | Endless | Volk TE37 18x10.5 squared | NT01/TD/ContiGrandAm | no other mods, nor weight shavings
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #68
Mthrice
First Lieutenant
Mthrice's Avatar
5
Rep
377
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 e92M3 AW/BLK CF roof 6MT
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Planet Earth

iTrader: (1)

^+2
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 05:01 PM   #69
SenorFunkyPants
Colonel
SenorFunkyPants's Avatar
United Kingdom
38
Rep
2,622
Posts

 
Drives: E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

I've only ever driven Euro MDM - it definitely allows some serious slip angles before intruding, that really flatter your driving abilities. Also seem to get much better full throttle acceleration with MDM engaged.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 01:44 AM   #70
z335is
Private First Class
10
Rep
150
Posts

 
Drives: 370z
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Newark

iTrader: (0)

This is awesome, yet disappointing at the same time.... Love having the ability to do this, but $700 plus having to take off my steering wheel sours things. It's pretty much impossible to take off the steering wheel / assembly without at least scratching or chipping something which I couldn't get over.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 05:08 AM   #71
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
174
Rep
11,205
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by z335is View Post
This is awesome, yet disappointing at the same time.... Love having the ability to do this, but $700 plus having to take off my steering wheel sours things. It's pretty much impossible to take off the steering wheel / assembly without at least scratching or chipping something which I couldn't get over.
If you are a gorilla then I agree with you.
__________________
-2015 F30 320i, Imperial/Oyster, 8AT: August 2014 ED
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT: Gone
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #72
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Mike Benvo's Avatar
United_States
98
Rep
4,813
Posts


 
Drives: Harrop SC M3 / E46 M3 / 7Turbo
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by z335is View Post
This is awesome, yet disappointing at the same time.... Love having the ability to do this, but $700 plus having to take off my steering wheel sours things. It's pretty much impossible to take off the steering wheel / assembly without at least scratching or chipping something which I couldn't get over.
Not true... you can take it off without scratching a thing. Airbag pops out easy, then the bolt for the wheel, and the mounting for the SZL. It's a pretty easy swap. On a scale of one to ten I would probably rate it a two or three.

Second successful MDM retrofit on a 2011 car was completed yesterday. Hopefully the customer reports back when he has a chance to try it out (it was pouring last night during/after the programming). That means that every car without M-Mode/MDM should be retrofitable, as the first car I did was a 2008, meaning 08-11 should be covered

Euro MDM is a blast and certainly allows for more slip in a straight line, and more of a drift angle through corners. It's works amazingly well at catching when the car wants to over or understeer. I think we got totally gipped in the US with the US MDM mode, it's like BMW saying Americans can't drive!

Sorry for delays in emails/PM's, I'm through all emails going up to April 16th, still need to answer the remaining emails and PM's. It appears in 2011 they have changed the bottom shortcut botton on non M mode equipped cars to an air recirculation button instead of a programmable shortcut. Stay 'tuned'
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #73
rhouck
Registered
rhouck's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
238
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Second successful MDM retrofit on a 2011 car was completed yesterday.


Quote:
It appears in 2011 they have changed the bottom shortcut botton on non M mode equipped cars to an air recirculation button instead of a programmable shortcut.
Most useless shortcut ever
__________________
2009 Honda S2000 -- 1:59.726 Buttonwillow 13CW (N/A, OEM Aero, RS3); 1:55.792 Buttonwillow 13CW (S/C, aero, RS3)
2008 BMW e92 M3, 6MT, MR/FR, NT-03+M 18x10, JIC Coilovers
2007 Yamaha R6
M-drive retrofit! http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676825
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #74
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
JulieDriving's Avatar
30
Rep
2,308
Posts

 
Drives: Bimmer
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Mike, thanks for the update on the 2nd MDrive retrofit!

Quick question - was it a car with or without iDrive?
__________________
2013 M3 coupe (Azurite Black, Black, Piano Black)
+ miata nut (2 miatas) + Mk6 GTI 5-door hatch (our mini-SUV )
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 03:53 PM   #75
sg92
New Member
sg92's Avatar
0
Rep
13
Posts

 
Drives: 11 e92 SG zcp
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: socal

iTrader: (1)

The 2011 would be my car. It has Zcp and I drive, and now Mdm. Thanks to Rhouck for sharing the details and DIY guide. Changing out the steering switch was fairly easy, thanks to him.

Thanks to Mike for coding the retrofit in the rain! The man knew exactly what he was doing and explained in details. We had a few hiccups along the way, he was quick to solved them. very happy with his work. I also opted for the euro Mdm but due to the poor weather, I haven't try it out yet.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #76
rhouck
Registered
rhouck's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
238
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg92 View Post
The 2011 would be my car. It has Zcp and I drive, and now Mdm. Thanks to Rhouck for sharing the details and DIY guide. Changing out the steering switch was fairly easy, thanks to him.

Thanks to Mike for coding the retrofit in the rain! The man knew exactly what he was doing and explained in details. We had a few hiccups along the way, he was quick to solved them. very happy with his work. I also opted for the euro Mdm but due to the poor weather, I haven't try it out yet.
__________________
2009 Honda S2000 -- 1:59.726 Buttonwillow 13CW (N/A, OEM Aero, RS3); 1:55.792 Buttonwillow 13CW (S/C, aero, RS3)
2008 BMW e92 M3, 6MT, MR/FR, NT-03+M 18x10, JIC Coilovers
2007 Yamaha R6
M-drive retrofit! http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676825
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 12:26 AM   #77
alefcole
Second Lieutenant
6
Rep
222
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 ZCP 6MT Jet black E92
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NJ

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg92
The 2011 would be my car. It has Zcp and I drive, and now Mdm. Thanks to Rhouck for sharing the details and DIY guide. Changing out the steering switch was fairly easy, thanks to him.

Thanks to Mike for coding the retrofit in the rain! The man knew exactly what he was doing and explained in details. We had a few hiccups along the way, he was quick to solved them. very happy with his work. I also opted for the euro Mdm but due to the poor weather, I haven't try it out yet.
Can you let us know if your 2011 zcp car came with the top bottom for stereo source and lower bottom as air recirculation?? After the code which is the M button and what feature does the other button gets??

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 01:17 AM   #78
piloto
Captain
10
Rep
835
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 - AW/FR
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

Can anyone verify if the MDM that came with US spec ZCP cars is different than the Euro MDM, and if so, what is the difference?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 04:34 AM   #79
sg92
New Member
sg92's Avatar
0
Rep
13
Posts

 
Drives: 11 e92 SG zcp
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: socal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alefcole View Post
Can you let us know if your 2011 zcp car came with the top bottom for stereo source and lower bottom as air recirculation?? After the code which is the M button and what feature does the other button gets??

Thank you
Top button was stereo and bottom was air before the retrofit. after, top button is the M button and bottom is stereo. I think those are the default functions on the newer m3?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #80
Rekrul
Captain
Rekrul's Avatar
20
Rep
799
Posts

 
Drives: Space Gray e92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Purgatory

iTrader: (1)

FUARK!!! I WANT MDMA! errr MDM!

I have no iDirve though...
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 12:59 PM   #81
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
184
Rep
13,842
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekrul View Post
FUARK!!! I WANT MDMA! errr MDM!

I have no iDirve though...
As Mike points out, this retrofit should also work for cars without iDrive. It just hasn't been tested yet. Of course - like every other M3 with MDrive but no iDrive - you still won't have Sport Plus Power. Fortunately, of the three MDrive-exclusive settings, that is probably the least important one.
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 01:57 PM   #82
alefcole
Second Lieutenant
6
Rep
222
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 ZCP 6MT Jet black E92
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NJ

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
As Mike points out, this retrofit should also work for cars without iDrive. It just hasn't been tested yet. Of course - like every other M3 with MDrive but no iDrive - you still won't have Sport Plus Power. Fortunately, of the three MDrive-exclusive settings, that is probably the least important one.
Do you know how the 2011.5 cars with standard MDM, choose their SERVO option if they don't have idrive? I am waiting for confirmation on a non idrive car to pull the trigger, plus waiting if one of the vendors makes a steering wheel switch group buy.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 09:56 PM   #83
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
184
Rep
13,842
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alefcole View Post
Do you know how the 2011.5 cars with standard MDM, choose their SERVO option if they don't have drive?
The same way those cars enable MDM - by hitting the M button. Unlike cars with iDrive, for cars with no iDrive, the M button settings for DSC and Servotronic are not user configurable. They are set to MDM and Sport respectively and cannot be changed.
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 10:30 PM   #84
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Mike Benvo's Avatar
United_States
98
Rep
4,813
Posts


 
Drives: Harrop SC M3 / E46 M3 / 7Turbo
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by alefcole View Post
Do you know how the 2011.5 cars with standard MDM, choose their SERVO option if they don't have idrive? I am waiting for confirmation on a non idrive car to pull the trigger, plus waiting if one of the vendors makes a steering wheel switch group buy.
Going to chime in here in between answering emails.. Sorry guys for the slow replies.

For cars without iDrive, you will be able to pick your settings for the M button. So if you wanted it to be Sport Plus with Servotronic on Sport with MDM, that's an option, or if you prefer the M button to leave the power unchanged and enable MDM and the tighter steering, that's an option too.

I need about half an hour on my car to figure out how to do it on non-iDrive cars. It's at the bodyshop right now getting the front PDC, CF Splitters, Spoiler, and Mirror caps. I should have it back in a week and can verify then.

Personally I think that sport plus is too aggressive, but each to his own. My preference for the button would be just the MDM mode and the steering (unless you require sport plus). This way the power button can be used if you want that on too, and the steering wheel shortcut only enables features that would otherwise be inaccessible.
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 11:07 PM   #85
Totti
Troll
Totti's Avatar
Italy
24
Rep
1,192
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia

iTrader: (0)

I agree with Mike Sport Plus is a joke, Sport is where you want it unless you like driving a bucking bronco every bump.
__________________
BMW E92 M3 Coupe | Jerez Black | Fox Red Extended / Carbon Black Trim| Fully Loaded | Moonroof | 6MT | Gintani Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_TRADER
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 11:21 PM   #86
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Mike Benvo's Avatar
United_States
98
Rep
4,813
Posts


 
Drives: Harrop SC M3 / E46 M3 / 7Turbo
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totti View Post
I agree with Mike Sport Plus is a joke, Sport is where you want it unless you like driving a bucking bronco every bump.
Exactly.. even on the track I find it completely useless.

On my car I have changed the sport plus mode to be less aggressive. It's about 5% more than sport mode.

I have also written a file that I'm going to flash it with that makes the normal throttle more aggressive and the sport mode less aggressive. I don't really like the factory throttle response settings, so I'm tailoring it to my liking.
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 08:00 AM   #87
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
184
Rep
13,842
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Thanks for chiming in Mike. This is all great info. I wanted to clarify what I said above, and also make sure I understand the full story in light of what you have added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
For cars without iDrive, you will be able to pick your settings for the M button. So if you wanted it to be Sport Plus with Servotronic on Sport with MDM, that's an option, or if you prefer the M button to leave the power unchanged and enable MDM and the tighter steering, that's an option too.
So, to clear up my earlier statements, my assertion that non-iDrive cars don't get Sport+ should have been better qualified. As you say above you can code in Sport+ Power for such cars. My understanding, though, is that the tradeoff with coding Sport+ to a non-iDrive car is that this setting will then also be activated by the Power button on your console. In other words, the limitation for non-iDrive cars is that they only support two Power settings, period. So if you choose to code Sport+ then you lose either Sport or Normal Power. Is this correct?

Quote:
My preference for the button would be just the MDM mode and the steering (unless you require sport plus). This way the power button can be used if you want that on too, and the steering wheel shortcut only enables features that would otherwise be inaccessible.
At first I didn't understand what you were saying here exactly, but I think I get it. You mentioned above the fact that the M Button can be programmed to leave Power "unchanged", just like an iDrive-equipped car can. So I think what you are saying here is that you could also have it set to leave the other settings - aside from DSC and Servotronic - remain unchanged as well (again, just like an iDrive car can). I.e.:

Power: Unchanged
DSC: MDM
Servotronic: Sport
EDC: Unchanged
Drivelogic: Unchanged
Shift Lights: Unchanged

(Last three settings only apply where equipped, obviously)

This way, your M button is now just an "MDM and Servotronic-Sport" button. You then just adjust the other things from the console buttons (BC in the shift lights case) as you normally would. Right?

But this begs the question what if you later hold the M button down to program it? Wouldn't the "Unchanged" settings then be wiped out, thus leaving you no way to go back to them without recoding?
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 08:03 AM   #88
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
184
Rep
13,842
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Wow, this is cool. So, with this in mind, even if what I say above about non-iDrive cars having only two Power settings available, the fact that you can tweak them would make it almost a non-issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Exactly.. even on the track I find it completely useless.

On my car I have changed the sport plus mode to be less aggressive. It's about 5% more than sport mode.

I have also written a file that I'm going to flash it with that makes the normal throttle more aggressive and the sport mode less aggressive. I don't really like the factory throttle response settings, so I'm tailoring it to my liking.
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST