BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-26-2012, 10:25 PM   #23
docbolo
BMW worshiper
 
Drives: M3/alpine/manual/prem/19"
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: San Diego, CA, USA

Posts: 254
iTrader: (1)

Very useful thread thank you OP for posting this!!!

I'm going to a PCA event at chuckwalla on may 19-20. I'm running on comp rims with b&g springs and spacers. I hope that's ok?
docbolo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2012, 10:26 PM   #24
paradocs98
Major
 
paradocs98's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 991 Carrera S
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 1,342
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
You have to come for grips that your paint will get focked up especially when you get behind someone with r-comps...which fling stuff at your car. And you will accumulate black tar streaks.
My car wears these with pride, like a red badge of courage (except black). I can take a tour around the car, thinking, "this rubber mark is from NJMP last November, and this one is from Watkins Glen in May..." At least my car is dark blue so it hides the marks fairly well.
paradocs98 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2012, 02:24 AM   #25
OC3
Havin' a blast!
 
OC3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,716
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Montreal View Post
Don't take it negatively but I always find it funny when new people to the track tape up their cars.

It doesn't protect accidents and the black marks from the rubber take less time to clean than the time it took to put all that tape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
You posted this in the wrong forum. Nice review. Just wanna point out that you'll find out the blue tape thing is such a PIA and quit caring about your paint at some point.

The biggest track no-no? Trying to wax your car in the paddock between sessions. I usually point and laugh.

So true about the community thing. When my engine blew in my 330, I got 5 offers for rides home even though I was about 2 hours out of the way.
Heh, when I go thru my track day photos, my car has less and less blue painters tape and, after about half dozen event, only masked the license plate, but I don't even do that any more.
__________________

BRP CW13 1:58 | CVR CW 2:01 | CVR CCW 2:02 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
2013 E92 M3 Jerez Black DCT ZCP | JRZ RS Pro | Brembo BBK | Endless ME20 | Volk TE37 18x10.5 squared | NT01/TD
OC3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2012, 04:50 AM   #26
SROC5
Addicted to Track
 
SROC5's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USCON

Posts: 1,587
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post
My car wears these with pride, like a red badge of courage (except black). I can take a tour around the car, thinking, "this rubber mark is from NJMP last November, and this one is from Watkins Glen in May..." At least my car is dark blue so it hides the marks fairly well.
Yea, dark cars show the marks more, but I'm with everyone here that eventually I'll get tired of taping.
__________________

| Akrapovic Evo | ESSi | Swift Spec-R | CF Spoiler | APEX ARC-8 | RS-3 | PFC-08 | DIF |
SROC5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2012, 08:52 AM   #27
von_zoom
Captain
 
von_zoom's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Z06
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Carolina

Posts: 913
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
Heh, when I go thru my track day photos, my car has less and less blue painters tape and, after about half dozen event, only masked the license plate, but I don't even do that any more.
Yea, I see cars all the time with their plate(s) taped over. Why do this?
vz
__________________


Previous Track Toy
von_zoom is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2012, 08:55 AM   #28
von_zoom
Captain
 
von_zoom's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Z06
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Carolina

Posts: 913
iTrader: (0)

[quote]I will be at VIR with the PCA on those days too. Running in blue group number #11[/QUOTE

]
Quote:
Originally Posted by arter View Post
I have Watkins Glen May 5&6 with my local GVC BMW CCA, then down to
VIR on the 18-20 with First Settlers PCA.....




See you all at VIR. I will be instructing with First Settlers. Good group to run with. Most likely #711
vz
__________________


Previous Track Toy
von_zoom is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2012, 09:01 AM   #29
Porschefile
Major
 
Porschefile's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Tennessee

Posts: 1,232
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by von_zoom View Post
Yea, I see cars all the time with their plate(s) taped over. Why do this?
vz
Insurance companies have (or used to have) people check out cars at the track to void their insurance in the event they claimed a track accident. I know of one instance where a guy at Road Atlanta crashed and had the crashed car towed to a public street nearby, where he called his agent. That of course is fraud anyway, but the point of covering your plate is hiding from the insurance scouts. Personally I don't cover mine because I know if I hit something I am paying.

Great first OP, may be sticky-material.
Porschefile is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2012, 02:06 PM   #30
OC3
Havin' a blast!
 
OC3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,716
iTrader: (1)

Yep, what Porschefile said
__________________

BRP CW13 1:58 | CVR CW 2:01 | CVR CCW 2:02 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
2013 E92 M3 Jerez Black DCT ZCP | JRZ RS Pro | Brembo BBK | Endless ME20 | Volk TE37 18x10.5 squared | NT01/TD
OC3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #31
SROC5
Addicted to Track
 
SROC5's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USCON

Posts: 1,587
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefile View Post
Insurance companies have (or used to have) people check out cars at the track to void their insurance in the event they claimed a track accident. I know of one instance where a guy at Road Atlanta crashed and had the crashed car towed to a public street nearby, where he called his agent. That of course is fraud anyway, but the point of covering your plate is hiding from the insurance scouts. Personally I don't cover mine because I know if I hit something I am paying.

Great first OP, may be sticky-material.
Thanks dude, I'm updating comments as you experienced folks comment along, all good stuff!
__________________

| Akrapovic Evo | ESSi | Swift Spec-R | CF Spoiler | APEX ARC-8 | RS-3 | PFC-08 | DIF |
SROC5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #32
SROC5
Addicted to Track
 
SROC5's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USCON

Posts: 1,587
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by docbolo View Post
Very useful thread thank you OP for posting this!!!

I'm going to a PCA event at chuckwalla on may 19-20. I'm running on comp rims with b&g springs and spacers. I hope that's ok?
I'm sure you'll be fine! Have an awesome time out there. Others here can comment on whether riding on spacers for extended use on the track is a good idea, I've heard otherwise. Once is harmless.
__________________

| Akrapovic Evo | ESSi | Swift Spec-R | CF Spoiler | APEX ARC-8 | RS-3 | PFC-08 | DIF |
SROC5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2012, 03:32 PM   #33
Zzhou
Lieutenant
 
Zzhou's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 SSII ZCP DCT
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West Lafayette,IN/Shanghai,China

Posts: 525
iTrader: (0)

nice tape job~how long it took you?
__________________

AA Green Filter/AA Pulley/AA catless X-pipes/AA signature exhaust/AA TUNE/TMS studs/Project Kics R40/AD08/Vorsteiner GTS5 Bumper/LUX H8
Zzhou is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2012, 08:41 PM   #34
SROC5
Addicted to Track
 
SROC5's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USCON

Posts: 1,587
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhouzitao View Post
nice tape job~how long it took you?
Not too long actually, maybe 10 mins?
__________________

| Akrapovic Evo | ESSi | Swift Spec-R | CF Spoiler | APEX ARC-8 | RS-3 | PFC-08 | DIF |
SROC5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2012, 08:42 PM   #35
Car54
Captain
 
Drives: 1999 Z3 Mcoupe | 2008 M3/4
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lutz, FL

Posts: 837
iTrader: (1)

I think the license plate urban legend was started back before insurance companies all had exclusions to track driving. I don't think my insurance company cares if I wreck the car at the track because they're not liable.

As for taping up our car...maybe use some shelf paper or even spray some plastic dip on the front. There are other spray bras as well. Anythings got to be better than taping strips all over it.

Which NASA region were you with North East? NASA regions are all a little different so keep that in mind as you travel to different tracks. MidAtl is a great region but their HPDEs are often shadowed by racing.
__________________

Craig Brickner
BM
W CCA/PBOC/Chin Motorsports DE Instructor
Click to Join: BMWCCA # 366493
Car54 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #36
SROC5
Addicted to Track
 
SROC5's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USCON

Posts: 1,587
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
I think the license plate urban legend was started back before insurance companies all had exclusions to track driving. I don't think my insurance company cares if I wreck the car at the track because they're not liable.

As for taping up our car...maybe use some shelf paper or even spray some plastic dip on the front. There are other spray bras as well. Anythings got to be better than taping strips all over it.

Which NASA region were you with North East? NASA regions are all a little different so keep that in mind as you travel to different tracks. MidAtl is a great region but their HPDEs are often shadowed by racing.
NASA NE, yep!

Painter's tape is perfect, it's cheap, easy to take off and put on and doesn't affect the paint.

As for spray bra, have you used it? If so, what brand and where did you buy it? Sounds interesting, didn't see anyone mention or use it on the track.
__________________

| Akrapovic Evo | ESSi | Swift Spec-R | CF Spoiler | APEX ARC-8 | RS-3 | PFC-08 | DIF |
SROC5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2012, 09:39 PM   #37
Zzhou
Lieutenant
 
Zzhou's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 SSII ZCP DCT
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West Lafayette,IN/Shanghai,China

Posts: 525
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC5 View Post
NASA NE, yep!

Painter's tape is perfect, it's cheap, easy to take off and put on and doesn't affect the paint.

As for spray bra, have you used it? If so, what brand and where did you buy it? Sounds interesting, didn't see anyone mention or use it on the track.
check this out~I order it~~
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ght=matte+blue
__________________

AA Green Filter/AA Pulley/AA catless X-pipes/AA signature exhaust/AA TUNE/TMS studs/Project Kics R40/AD08/Vorsteiner GTS5 Bumper/LUX H8
Zzhou is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2012, 10:27 PM   #38
LateBraking
Brigadier General
 
LateBraking's Avatar
 
Drives: Reliable Cars
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pacific Standard Time

Posts: 3,878
iTrader: (27)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC5 View Post
As for spray bra, have you used it? If so, what brand and where did you buy it? Sounds interesting, didn't see anyone mention or use it on the track.
There's this option:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=679223

Then if you want to get crazier there's this convenient kit option:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=rNY9Dx617N8
http://dipyourcar.com/shop/category_...aram=cid%3D%26

Both spray on as something like a liquid vinyl layer, which peels right off as a sheet when you're done with it. I haven't sprayed my car before since I have a clearbra (with plenty of molten rubber spots melted into it), but I have sprayed my wheels black before. It was really neat/convenient as the brake dust just caked onto the wheel, then I just peeled the layer off and everything came right off, showing a completely clean wheel underneath. I imagine it'll do the same when applied to your front bumper.
LateBraking is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-28-2012, 05:33 AM   #39
SROC5
Addicted to Track
 
SROC5's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USCON

Posts: 1,587
iTrader: (3)

Very nice option, I like it. The pro-kit is pretty expensive, but I like it because it seems to have a clean and easy application method. If it lasted 10-15 visits to track, then it would be cool.

The paint bucket approach seems cumbersome. Good price though, $25 bucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBraking View Post
There's this option:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=679223

Then if you want to get crazier there's this convenient kit option:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=rNY9Dx617N8
http://dipyourcar.com/shop/category_...aram=cid%3D%26

Both spray on as something like a liquid vinyl layer, which peels right off as a sheet when you're done with it. I haven't sprayed my car before since I have a clearbra (with plenty of molten rubber spots melted into it), but I have sprayed my wheels black before. It was really neat/convenient as the brake dust just caked onto the wheel, then I just peeled the layer off and everything came right off, showing a completely clean wheel underneath. I imagine it'll do the same when applied to your front bumper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhouzitao View Post
__________________

| Akrapovic Evo | ESSi | Swift Spec-R | CF Spoiler | APEX ARC-8 | RS-3 | PFC-08 | DIF |
SROC5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-28-2012, 09:07 AM   #40
von_zoom
Captain
 
von_zoom's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Z06
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Carolina

Posts: 913
iTrader: (0)

If you are having trouble cleaning your car after a HPDE, ask Martin - Auto Finesse -
**********************
for help. He has a host of products which will simplify the process.
vz
__________________


Previous Track Toy
von_zoom is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-28-2012, 10:58 AM   #41
Car54
Captain
 
Drives: 1999 Z3 Mcoupe | 2008 M3/4
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lutz, FL

Posts: 837
iTrader: (1)

Meguiars Swirl Remover is the best thing I've found for removing cone and tire clag. You have to wax after though.

I've tried polish, rubbing compound, clay, different pads and towels, goo gone, peanut butter, goof off, simple green....Meguiars Swirl Remover is the bees knees.
__________________

Craig Brickner
BM
W CCA/PBOC/Chin Motorsports DE Instructor
Click to Join: BMWCCA # 366493
Car54 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #42
leo95se
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 09 JB e92, Q5 and passat
Join Date: May 2009
Location: CT

Posts: 491
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arter View Post
I have Watkins Glen May 5&6 with my local GVC BMW CCA, then down to
VIR on the 18-20 with First Settlers PCA.....
ill be up there..


OP - good post! those on the fence, dont think you are pressured to 'race' its whatever you want it to be. stay open, and enjoy the ability to learn.
leo95se is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #43
leo95se
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 09 JB e92, Q5 and passat
Join Date: May 2009
Location: CT

Posts: 491
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
Meguiars Swirl Remover is the best thing I've found for removing cone and tire clag. You have to wax after though.

I've tried polish, rubbing compound, clay, different pads and towels, goo gone, peanut butter, goof off, simple green....Meguiars Swirl Remover is the bees knees.
mothers makes a rubber remover. it works decently. its good for quick cleanups.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/r3-ra...r-remover.html
leo95se is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #44
dnotorious
..
 
dnotorious's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Sedan 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mississauga, ON

Posts: 199
iTrader: (0)

OP Great Post. I was on that fence and was easily swayed to try tracking my car this summer. I have yet to register for some local events, but I have started to find a decent approved helmet, but didn't consider the points you have provided; although obvious to some; I was going to overlook a couple things like "brake/oil fluids" ;

I havent searched the forums. but this is a good sticky for those on the fence.. and need to know the basics to maximize their investment.

Subscribed and found some DYI linked to http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=333653
__________________
E90 2008 BMW M3 - 6SPD - AW
E90 2007 BMW 335i - 6SPD - SG - Sold

Last edited by dnotorious; 04-28-2012 at 12:48 PM. Reason: I searched yay
dnotorious is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
beginner, first track day, novice, tracking, tracking car

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST