BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #23
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
The Stoptech rotors will last longer from my experience on my 330. I had a BBK which used the OEM euro E46 M3 rotor which is a similar design to the E90. With that said, you can't be lazy and not switch pads from street to track. If you use track pads on the street, they'll chew up your rotors. The benefit of having the ST BBK is that its x100 easier to swap pads so no excuse.

I wanna say the ST60 kit fits under the rear OEM 18s. In fact I will try and remember to do a test fit on 5/5. I wanna say the front OEM 18s may fit with a spacer from the pics I've seen of the rear OEM 18s over the ST60s.

I do agree that the OEM brakes leave something to be desired...I'm going through my front PF01s pretty quickly. About half done with 3 days of use.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue

Last edited by bigjae1976; 04-26-2012 at 07:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #24
DisGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M Three Powah

has anyone thought about putting the new m5 brake kits on our e92 m3? wonder if it would fit
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 11:21 PM   #25
Richard@M-World
United_States
Rep
Drives: NASA TTA #92 M3

Vibration could be due to two reasons. 1) pads melting onto the rotor, and/or 2) pad compound incompatibility. I once used Pagid and Project Mu on the same rotor and I experienced quite a bit of vibration.

OE 18s will fit StopTech 380 mm front when used with a 10 mm spacer (5 mm too I believe)

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=604764

My first set of StopTech 380 front rotors, when used with StopTech Street Performance pads, lasted over 20 track events. The rears still have more than 50% life left.

I typically recommend my customers to try out the Street Performance pads first on the BBK. This combo should be quite capable. If this is not good enough, you can always order some race pads later.

It is perfectly fine to get a front BBK only. I am currently running Brembo 365 front with stock rears. I also have customers who are very experienced drivers use front StopTech only (355 and 380) without issues. Plus, you can always tune the brake balance by using different pads front/rear.

Hope this helps
      04-27-2012, 07:36 AM   #26
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
The Stoptech rotors will last longer from my experience on my 330. I had a BBK which used the OEM euro E46 M3 rotor which is a similar design to the E90. With that said, you can't be lazy and not switch pads from street to track. If you use track pads on the street, they'll chew up your rotors. The benefit of having the ST BBK is that its x100 easier to swap pads so no excuse.

I wanna say the ST60 kit fits under the rear OEM 18s. In fact I will try and remember to do a test fit on 5/5. I wanna say the front OEM 18s may fit with a spacer from the pics I've seen of the rear OEM 18s over the ST60s.
Sir, yes sir! Pads probably will be swapped. Looks very simple indeed.

Intrigued by the possibility of getting the ST-60 under my 18's..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard@M-World View Post
Vibration could be due to two reasons. 1) pads melting onto the rotor, and/or 2) pad compound incompatibility. I once used Pagid and Project Mu on the same rotor and I experienced quite a bit of vibration.

OE 18s will fit StopTech 380 mm front when used with a 10 mm spacer (5 mm too I believe)

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=604764

My first set of StopTech 380 front rotors, when used with StopTech Street Performance pads, lasted over 20 track events. The rears still have more than 50% life left.

I typically recommend my customers to try out the Street Performance pads first on the BBK. This combo should be quite capable. If this is not good enough, you can always order some race pads later.

It is perfectly fine to get a front BBK only. I am currently running Brembo 365 front with stock rears. I also have customers who are very experienced drivers use front StopTech only (355 and 380) without issues. Plus, you can always tune the brake balance by using different pads front/rear.

Hope this helps
Thanks very much for the thoughts Rich. I think that it's option 1 -- the pads melted.

That's great rotor life. I certainly wouldn't expect more.

As above, I'm interested in the ST-60 possibility. Any feedback from anyone who has actually run this setup? If I go the ST-60 route and have issues due to fitment, then it's

Probably a stupid question, but any concerns over running 10 mm spacers only up front then?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 07:44 PM   #27
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Time to update this 'here's my problem' thread with the resolution..

Stoptech ST-40 fronts with Pagid RS-29 pads. First track day is next Monday, but if my two relatively lengthy and aggressive bedding sessions are any indication, performance with this setup is absurd, ridiculous.. f-ing awesome. A bottomless pit of stopping power. My tires are now the weak link.

Quiet as a mouse so far. No squealing whatsoever, and sufficient when cold. I plan to leave the Pagids in full time unless characteristics change.

Thanks to Omar @ Velos Designwerks for the Stoptech kit and Richard @ M-World for the pads.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 11:51 PM   #28
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Your problem is obvious -- SNOWTIRES! What were you thinking?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 06:08 AM   #29
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJ View Post
Your problem is obvious -- SNOWTIRES! What were you thinking?
WHOA! OMG! SNOWTIRES!? Slow down Sherlock.

I was thinking that these are my tires: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....wall=Blackwall

You perhaps are thinking that these are my tires: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....emeContact+DWS

But the DWS are actually not designated snow tires.

So what are you thinking?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 09:38 AM   #30
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
So you are tracking with these tires?
I am, and they're not so great. I'll probably do AD08's next.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 09:46 AM   #31
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, that's the way to go! They are great street tires as well...
Good to hear. Decent life as well on the AD08's?

One thing I will say about the Contis is that they've got life. Almost 10k miles and 2 track days (one wet) and they've got lots of tread left. They were also quite good on the wet track day. Dry, not so much.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 09:56 AM   #32
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'd say the life is a little below average, but pretty good considering the fact that they are super soft. I think for the price of that tire you can't go wrong. In the end it depends how much you beat up on them.
Right.. I'll exchange some life for stickiness at this point.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #33
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM3 View Post
WHOA! OMG! SNOWTIRES!? Slow down Sherlock.

I was thinking that these are my tires: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....wall=Blackwall

You perhaps are thinking that these are my tires: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....emeContact+DWS

But the DWS are actually not designated snow tires.

So what are you thinking?
I'm thinking I since I was poking a little fun your way, I should have put a smiley on the end of my post!

I bought a set of DW's recently for the Mustang and they're good tires, at least now when they're new. Tirerack was clearing my size for $100 each, so it's pretty much impossible not to be happy with them. I did a soaking wet track day at the Ridge with them, and they were great. In the dry, they'd melt.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 11:34 AM   #34
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJ View Post
I'm thinking I since I was poking a little fun your way, I should have put a smiley on the end of my post!

I bought a set of DW's recently for the Mustang and they're good tires, at least now when they're new. Tirerack was clearing my size for $100 each, so it's pretty much impossible not to be happy with them. I did a soaking wet track day at the Ridge with them, and they were great. In the dry, they'd melt.
Haha... Cool. $100/tire is a ridiculous deal. They really are good in the wet. Good street tire too, imo, quiet with plenty of grip, but approaching the limit they fail.

Well I'm certainly not advanced enough to melt them, and they do seem relatively sturdy. 10k miles, 2 track days -- one of which was at Homestead where it was ~80 degrees and I did all 5 full sessions -- and they've got lots of life remaining. We'll see how they hold up next week with the Stoptechs torturing them.
Appreciate 0