BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
Evolve Automotive
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-26-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
ajvee
Major
32
Rep
1,442
Posts

 
Drives: None
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: None

iTrader: (13)

STOPTECHS ON! Bleeding Help Wanted?

Man was it a task to get these on!

Tried bleeding them last night and the pedal still goes to the floor. All lines are secure. Am going to give it another go tonight and was hoping to get tips on the best way to bleed them and get stock pedal feel. I appreciate your help with this.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
THE TECH's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
13,121
Posts


 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Did you bleed in the correct order? And did you do inside and outside correctly? How many times did you go around the car?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
ajvee
Major
32
Rep
1,442
Posts

 
Drives: None
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: None

iTrader: (13)

went around only once as it was 2 am. started with passenger front and went clockwise. all lines are secure. had an issue with a couple of lines being a bit loose. I appreciate your inputs.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #4
atruelunatic
Second Lieutenant
4
Rep
286
Posts

 
Drives: n/a
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: East Bay, California

iTrader: (1)

Try rear right, rear left, front right, front left.
__________________
2011 e92 JzB 6MT
Akrapovic Evolution, ESS Tune, UUC SSK w/ DSSR, Stoptech SS brake lines, Eibach springs, OEM gloss black kidney grills, keyhole delete, LUX H8 3.0, full front clear bra, 20% tint, Macht Schenll Stud Conversion, Apex ARC-8 18x9.5/10 w/ 265/35 & 285/30 AD08's
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 11:11 AM   #5
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
THE TECH's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
13,121
Posts


 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Odd that you started at the passenger front. Try reading the manual that came with the brakes. It tells you EXACTLY how to do it.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
ajvee
Major
32
Rep
1,442
Posts

 
Drives: None
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: None

iTrader: (13)

good point. was pooped and didn't think to refer to the directions for the order.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 12:26 PM   #7
j2m
Colonel
j2m's Avatar
Canada
48
Rep
2,452
Posts

 
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Calgary, Ab

iTrader: (8)

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Odd that you started at the passenger front. Try reading the manual that came with the brakes. It tells you EXACTLY how to do it.
I just installed my Trophy's and the directions tell you to start with the closest to the master cylinder and work your way back. Luckily I read everyone's "bleeding" suggestions before following their Directions.

OP:
My brakes are soft as well, I went around and bled 1 time. I think it's important to do it at least 2-3 time which is a PIA when you are jacking up 1 wheel at a time. Last week I had a couple "close calls" trying to get my car on 4 jackstands So be VERY careful trying that chit... anyway I just bought a lift for my car so that I don't end up killing myself.
My brakes are also dragging on the rotors, loud as F*cK! The direction didn't mention using anti seize on the brake pads, so I am going to try that out see if it helps. I am also changing my fluid to SRF, hope that will help pedal feel.
__________________

11' E92 M3 Space Grey | DCT | ESS VT2- 625 | Gintani Race (valved) + Quad Res Catless X-Pipe | KW Sleeve's | GC Camber Plates|Arkym Diffuser | Vorsteiner VRS Lip | P3 Boost Guage | Stud Conversion
PHOTO's: Click Here ESS VT2 625 PHOTOS: Click Here
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 12:30 PM   #8
ajvee
Major
32
Rep
1,442
Posts

 
Drives: None
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: None

iTrader: (13)

would you mind sharing the order that you bled them in?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 12:38 PM   #9
j2m
Colonel
j2m's Avatar
Canada
48
Rep
2,452
Posts

 
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Calgary, Ab

iTrader: (8)

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvee View Post
would you mind sharing the order that you bled them in?
(1) Passenger side rear (2) Drivers Side Rear (3) Passenger side front (4) driver side front
And do the outside bleed screws first and then inside bleed screws on each caliper
__________________

11' E92 M3 Space Grey | DCT | ESS VT2- 625 | Gintani Race (valved) + Quad Res Catless X-Pipe | KW Sleeve's | GC Camber Plates|Arkym Diffuser | Vorsteiner VRS Lip | P3 Boost Guage | Stud Conversion
PHOTO's: Click Here ESS VT2 625 PHOTOS: Click Here
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 12:40 PM   #10
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
THE TECH's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
13,121
Posts


 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvee View Post
would you mind sharing the order that you bled them in?
It was already stated above.

Passenger rear, driver's rear, passenger front, driver's front. You also bleed each caliper's bleed screw doing the outboard then inboard.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 01:18 PM   #11
Malek@MRF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Malek@MRF's Avatar
United_States
62
Rep
3,406
Posts


 
Drives: E92 M3, E46 M3, F30, E30
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Irvine, California

iTrader: (5)

Send a message via AIM to Malek@MRF
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2M3 View Post
I just installed my Trophy's and the directions tell you to start with the closest to the master cylinder and work your way back. Luckily I read everyone's "bleeding" suggestions before following their Directions.

OP:
My brakes are soft as well, I went around and bled 1 time. I think it's important to do it at least 2-3 time which is a PIA when you are jacking up 1 wheel at a time. Last week I had a couple "close calls" trying to get my car on 4 jackstands So be VERY careful trying that chit... anyway I just bought a lift for my car so that I don't end up killing myself.
My brakes are also dragging on the rotors, loud as F*cK! The direction didn't mention using anti seize on the brake pads, so I am going to try that out see if it helps. I am also changing my fluid to SRF, hope that will help pedal feel.
Stop-Tech directions are incorrect. You should start with the caliper furthest away from the master cylinder and work your way in.

Passenger rear
Driver's rear
Passenger front
Driver's front

Do it thoroughly.
__________________

BMW PERFORMANCE SPECIALISTS. Suspension. Forced Induction. Brakes. Race Preparation. Service. Alignments.
OFFICIAL PARTNERS: Íhlins. KW Suspension. Brembo. AP Racing. ESS Tuning. iND Distribution. Turner Motorsport.
Facebook | Instagram | Yelp! | Flikr | Contact | YouTube
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #12
ajvee
Major
32
Rep
1,442
Posts

 
Drives: None
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: None

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2M3 View Post
(1) Passenger side rear (2) Drivers Side Rear (3) Passenger side front (4) driver side front
And do the outside bleed screws first and then inside bleed screws on each caliper
jsm3 when you say outside screws first, do you mean go around all corners doing just the outside screws and then redo with the inside screws?

How will the final pedal feel compare to the stock brakes so I have a reference point?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #13
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
THE TECH's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
13,121
Posts


 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvee View Post
jsm3 when you say outside screws first, do you mean go around all corners doing just the outside screws and then redo with the inside screws?

How will the final pedal feel compare to the stock brakes so I have a reference point?
No, you do the outside of the caliper then the inside of the same caliper before moving onto the next wheel.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #14
ajvee
Major
32
Rep
1,442
Posts

 
Drives: None
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: None

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
No, you do the outside of the caliper then the inside of the same caliper before moving onto the next wheel.
Thanks a lot man! Will give this a go and let you know how it pans out.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 02:48 PM   #15
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
THE TECH's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
13,121
Posts


 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvee View Post
Thanks a lot man! Will give this a go and let you know how it pans out.
I would do the entire car from one end to the other at least twice.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #16
NJ 1161
Major
NJ 1161's Avatar
20
Rep
1,089
Posts

 
Drives: 335D M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

I had same issue when fitting bbk. It turned out at the chap that was doing it was only bleeding the top valve, and that my kit had a nipple on the reverse side of the calliper as well. Bleed these as voila! Sounds obvious but have you checked for additional bleed valves??
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 04:19 PM   #17
LiM3y
Major
LiM3y's Avatar
United Kingdom
19
Rep
1,254
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2M3 View Post
I just installed my Trophy's and the directions tell you to start with the closest to the master cylinder and work your way back. Luckily I read everyone's "bleeding" suggestions before following their Directions.

OP:
My brakes are soft as well, I went around and bled 1 time. I think it's important to do it at least 2-3 time which is a PIA when you are jacking up 1 wheel at a time. Last week I had a couple "close calls" trying to get my car on 4 jackstands So be VERY careful trying that chit... anyway I just bought a lift for my car so that I don't end up killing myself.
My brakes are also dragging on the rotors, loud as F*cK! The direction didn't mention using anti seize on the brake pads, so I am going to try that out see if it helps. I am also changing my fluid to SRF, hope that will help pedal feel.
How did you have problems getting on 4 jack stands?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 04:30 PM   #18
TXmtrhed
First Lieutenant
TXmtrhed's Avatar
3
Rep
327
Posts

 
Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Katy, TX

iTrader: (0)

If your pedal is going to the floor you must have a lot of air in the system or you haven't yet got the pads in contact with the rotors.

Did you let the master cylinder brake level get too low while bleeding?

Remember to put the pads in?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 05:06 PM   #19
IFX
Banned
32
Rep
2,538
Posts

 
Drives: AW e46M/N54
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South Fla.

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvee View Post
would you mind sharing the order that you bled them in?



Wheel farthest from the master cylinder, gradually getting to closest wheel.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 05:47 PM   #20
ajvee
Major
32
Rep
1,442
Posts

 
Drives: None
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: None

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXmtrhed View Post
If your pedal is going to the floor you must have a lot of air in the system or you haven't yet got the pads in contact with the rotors.

Did you let the master cylinder brake level get too low while bleeding?

Remember to put the pads in?
Pads do have contact, the car does stop at full compression. I was monitoring the level during the bleed and definitely put the pads in
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #21
ajvee
Major
32
Rep
1,442
Posts

 
Drives: None
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: None

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ 1161 View Post
I had same issue when fitting bbk. It turned out at the chap that was doing it was only bleeding the top valve, and that my kit had a nipple on the reverse side of the calliper as well. Bleed these as voila! Sounds obvious but have you checked for additional bleed valves??

Good point. I had fluid spilling out from additional valves during the first round. We have them all tightened down at the moment, so I think it is only about getting the air out of the system. Wish me luck chaps!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 06:53 PM   #22
bigjae1976
That's what she said...
bigjae1976's Avatar
84
Rep
5,640
Posts

 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Sometimes it will be difficult to bleed a new caliper. Tap the caliper with a rubber mallet to loosen any bubbles a bit. Then bleed at the outboard bleeder first. Once you do that, the inner bleeder should be free of air pretty quickly.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:32 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST