BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Strasse Wheels
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-21-2012, 02:58 PM   #23
TVMA Doc
Captain
TVMA Doc's Avatar
7
Rep
709
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, Jerez Black
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SF Bay

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by US///M3 View Post
This shows how safe the M5 is,are you serious? Thr passengers sustained serious injurious

This is your typical fanboyism,like if a guy survives an accident in an M3. Quickly the consensus is how safe these cars are.
When they split in half, and there are fatalities. Usually nobody mentions how well built those cars are.

A good example, john force survived an accident in a top fuel dragsterthat reach speeds in excess of 300 mph ( 500km/h) and Earnhardt wasnt so lucky in what seemed not to be a bad crash.
I would also suggest that this shows how safe the M5 is. A crash at that speed SHOULD be fatal. It relates to the laws of physics. I am literally amazed that everyone in the vehicle wasn't dead at the scene.

Mind you, I've only spent 20 plus years in medicine/ERs, etc. so what do I know?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 02:59 PM   #24
TVMA Doc
Captain
TVMA Doc's Avatar
7
Rep
709
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, Jerez Black
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SF Bay

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick3753 View Post
Just because they "survived" the crash doesn't mean they will live. Sometimes instant death in the crash is better than the slow death that happens in the ICU over the next weeks or months, or the life of a quadriplegic or similar fate. Hopefully they all make a full or near full recovery.
THIS one I agree with 100%. I wish not only a recovery, but no lasting disability.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 05:56 PM   #25
JPatrick
Private First Class
JPatrick's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
109
Posts

 
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
1998 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK8888 View Post
Crash test passed.
I wonder if the insurance company wrote it off as totaled?
__________________
2011.5 E90 M3 - Space Gray/Extended Fox Red Leather/Sycamore Anthracite Trim, DCT, ZCP, everything except Moon Roof
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 07:54 PM   #26
Calmwinds
Private First Class
8
Rep
198
Posts

 
Drives: Everywhere
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

that poor dog.

Driver, next time crash into the stupid merger.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 01:53 AM   #27
Rshane
M-Flight Member
Rshane's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
1,087
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: San Antonio, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calmwinds View Post
that poor dog.

Driver, next time crash into the stupid merger.
You know, in a way I agree with this. So many times I hear about someone getting into a serious accident because they swerved to avoid some dumbass who was driving dangerously. The victim gets their car demolished and ends up in the hospital, while the one who caused the accident goes on their merry way.

Of course the natural human reaction is to avoid the accident which is why so many swerve to miss the other car...they just end up over doing it causing loss of control.
__________________
2011 Le Mans Blue M3// Black extended Novillo w/ Blue Grey Aluminum trim/DCT/ZTP/ZCW/ZPP/ZCP Premium Sound ///Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust

2012 Le Mans Blue 135i M Pkg DCT
2013 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 05:00 AM   #28
Schwaben
Private First Class
Schwaben's Avatar
2
Rep
104
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 X5 35D
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshane View Post
You know, in a way I agree with this. So many times I hear about someone getting into a serious accident because they swerved to avoid some dumbass who was driving dangerously. The victim gets their car demolished and ends up in the hospital, while the one who caused the accident goes on their merry way.

Of course the natural human reaction is to avoid the accident which is why so many swerve to miss the other car...they just end up over doing it causing loss of control.
What you say is true, however, the "victim" in this case was also driving dangerously by operating his vehicle at 300 km/h on a public highway. What I believe is more of a problem is these drivers who feel the need to drive much faster than everyone else and tailgate those who are actively passing in the left lane.

Just yesterday on my way home on the A5 I was passing a group of vehicles in the left lane. They were traveling around 120-130 km/h and I was cruising at 150 km/h which is plenty fast by any means. As I am in the middle of passing this group a green VW kombi came flying around a curve we had just passed and came flying up behind me. He proceeded to run all the way up to my bumper before braking hard and then tailgating me at no more than 5 meters (at 150 km/h) until I completed my pass. Then he floored his little motor again and gave me a mean look as he went his way.

My point is that the autobahn is just another highway, nothing else. Everyone has to share it and drive in a safe manner. Yes there are those that "aggressively" enter the motor way as well as those who believe the left lane is their personal space to drive as fast as they please. I see no problem with owning a fast car and going faster on those unrestricted zones when there is no traffic. But on any normal day in Germany there is traffic everywhere and no one has any business going 300 km/h in ANY car.

When you drive fast you no only put yourself at danger (your choice) but you endanger every other driver on the road. And as Alter Peter said in his thread it takes next to nothing to loose control at that speed. Its not hard to imagine the scene when 60 year old in his new M5 goes from full gas to full depression of the brake pedal with a death grip on the steering wheel at 300 km/h.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 09:34 AM   #29
Schwaben
Private First Class
Schwaben's Avatar
2
Rep
104
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 X5 35D
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Yup and his schadensfreie jahre is toast.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #30
aus
Major General
118
Rep
7,418
Posts

 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

iTrader: (5)

Engine looks ok. Wonder if it'll fit in an M3?

.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 03:40 AM   #31
Rshane
M-Flight Member
Rshane's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
1,087
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: San Antonio, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuttgartM3 View Post
What you say is true, however, the "victim" in this case was also driving dangerously by operating his vehicle at 300 km/h on a public highway. What I believe is more of a problem is these drivers who feel the need to drive much faster than everyone else and tailgate those who are actively passing in the left lane.

Just yesterday on my way home on the A5 I was passing a group of vehicles in the left lane. They were traveling around 120-130 km/h and I was cruising at 150 km/h which is plenty fast by any means. As I am in the middle of passing this group a green VW kombi came flying around a curve we had just passed and came flying up behind me. He proceeded to run all the way up to my bumper before braking hard and then tailgating me at no more than 5 meters (at 150 km/h) until I completed my pass. Then he floored his little motor again and gave me a mean look as he went his way.

My point is that the autobahn is just another highway, nothing else. Everyone has to share it and drive in a safe manner. Yes there are those that "aggressively" enter the motor way as well as those who believe the left lane is their personal space to drive as fast as they please. I see no problem with owning a fast car and going faster on those unrestricted zones when there is no traffic. But on any normal day in Germany there is traffic everywhere and no one has any business going 300 km/h in ANY car.

When you drive fast you no only put yourself at danger (your choice) but you endanger every other driver on the road. And as Alter Peter said in his thread it takes next to nothing to loose control at that speed. Its not hard to imagine the scene when 60 year old in his new M5 goes from full gas to full depression of the brake pedal with a death grip on the steering wheel at 300 km/h.
I realize he was travelling faster than he should have been. However, the fact is in areas where there is no speed limit you are allowed to travel as fast as you want. Is it smart...not really, and the driver of the M5 should be held partly responsible for the accident, which he likely will since he was travelling at over 130kph.

The fact remains that this accident was due to carelessness on two parties. there have been a number of times while I have been driving on the autobahn that someone has pulled out in front of me causing me to jam on my brakes...and my cruise contol was set at 120kph. Sometimes it is just people not paying attention, but most times it seems people just don't care. Also, some folks like to be traffic regulators...they pull out in front of you then match the speed of the car next to them...completely illegal here.
__________________
2011 Le Mans Blue M3// Black extended Novillo w/ Blue Grey Aluminum trim/DCT/ZTP/ZCW/ZPP/ZCP Premium Sound ///Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust

2012 Le Mans Blue 135i M Pkg DCT
2013 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:24 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST