BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

03-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
767IJP
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2012 M3

GTAA Tint/Clear Bra

Anyone have a good third party tint/clear bra guy around the GTAA?

I'm buying from Budds and have whittled them down to $800 for tint, clear bra and a paint sealant.

Is this a good price?

Could you give me a ball park price for your recommends? Getting a E92 M3 May 2 ED.

Thanks in advance.
      03-04-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
Giccy
Captain

Drives: like he has much to learn

Marco at Advanced mobile group for clear bra. (do a search and you'll quickly realize how well respected he is)

Kevin at *********** for sealant. (ditto)

John at Auto Links Tint in Scarborough if you're interested in F1 pinnacle ceramic tint. He did mine and a bunch of e90post members.
Giccy is offline   Canada
      03-04-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
Giccy
Captain

I should add that Kevin and Marco work out the same shop. Not sure if they do tint.
      03-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
pro-tect mobile
Private

Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8

Thats a great price... in fact so much so I would be worried about quality. Clear bras are not something you want the lowest bidder doing.
      03-04-2012, 10:19 PM   #5
767IJP
Second Lieutenant

understood gents and thanks for your reply. I'm spending a lot of klink on this thing so I am looking for value but most importantly good workmanship.

Giccy. Question. I dont know the square root of F A when it comes to tint. Ceramic vs whatever. What are the advantages of Ceramic. Is this the stuff that doesnt interfere with electronics?? Sorry if this is a noob question. We all have to become fiends somewhere
      03-04-2012, 10:58 PM   #6
Giccy
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767IJP View Post
understood gents and thanks for your reply. I'm spending a lot of klink on this thing so I am looking for value but most importantly good workmanship.

Giccy. Question. I dont know the square root of F A when it comes to tint. Ceramic vs whatever. What are the advantages of Ceramic. Is this the stuff that doesnt interfere with electronics?? Sorry if this is a noob question. We all have to become fiends somewhere
Haha no worries. Went through the same question myself. I got the ceramic because it protects better against heat and UV and I read a large contingent of posts that claimed non-ceramic tint has a tendancy to interfere with comfort access. Some have non-ceramic tint and have had no issues. I didn't want to gamble. (plus, John at auto-links hooks you up on price )
      03-05-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
RO_Turbo
///M-thusiast

Drives: MWM E93 M3, AW F25 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giccy Gic View Post
Marco at Advanced mobile group for clear bra. (do a search and you'll quickly realize how well respected he is)

Kevin at *********** for sealant. (ditto)

John at Auto Links Tint in Scarborough if you're interested in F1 pinnacle ceramic tint. He did mine and a bunch of e90post members.
+1 for John @ Auto Links. They did a great job putting on the ceramic tint in my car last Nov. I went with the 15% at the sides and 5% at the back.

+1 for Marco @ AMG as well. He does a lot of high end exotics and is wonderful with communication.
      03-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #8
sawzall
Major

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 C2S

Garage List
Quote:
I'm buying from Budds and have whittled them down to $800 for tint, clear bra and a paint sealant.
If you're going for a clear bra, make sure to get the full hood, full front bumpers at a minimum. I'd also recommend doing the full fenders. The power dome on our hoods are a magnet for rocks, and after track days, i've always got tire gunk on the fenders.

It's likely that for $800 you're getting the full bumper and a strip across the hood (IMHO the strip is useless). You'll end up paying more for a proper clear bra job - but if you go with someone like Marco (he did mine and his work is fantastic), you won't be sorry.
sawzall is offline   Canada
      03-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #9
RO_Turbo
///M-thusiast

Quote:
Anyone have a good third party tint/clear bra guy around the GTAA?

Is this a good price?

Could you give me a ball park price for your recommends? Getting a E92 M3 May 2 ED.

Thanks in advance.
Also forgot to mention that personally ... both times I've brought my car in to BUDDS Oakville for service (I have a US Spec car with US plates) they were unable to fix the problem. They def don't have the brightest folks working in their service dept. I'm sure they outsource their tint and clear bra but if I were you, I'd find out who they use ....

Did you sign all contracts yet?

-Full ceramic tint ~$250-270
-Clear bra/Ventureshield - Full front hood wrapped/edges covered, Full bumper, mirrors ~ $1000 Add an extra $350 for both fenders wrapped.
      03-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #10
767IJP
Second Lieutenant

RO_Turbo

You are right. It's just a strip across the front maybe 18 inches of the hood. Is there any warranty with this clear bra? I just hate to think what it would look like if it starts to bubble if I did the whole hood.

So the ceramic tint is the way to go to avoid any interference? If so I'll do that.

I've signed the purchase order but have not signed anything in regards to the tinting/clear bra. I will def use the names you mentioned. Should I tell them I was referred by you? If so PM me.

Cheers for the advice. Much appreciated.
      03-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #11
RO_Turbo
///M-thusiast

Quote:
RO_Turbo

You are right. It's just a strip across the front maybe 18 inches of the hood. Is there any warranty with this clear bra? I just hate to think what it would look like if it starts to bubble if I did the whole hood.

So the ceramic tint is the way to go to avoid any interference? If so I'll do that.

I've signed the purchase order but have not signed anything in regards to the tinting/clear bra. I will def use the names you mentioned. Should I tell them I was referred by you? If so PM me.

Cheers for the advice. Much appreciated.
The warranty varies by product. Did they tell you what brand they were going with? Like others have said, I def would not go with a horizontal strip across the front of the hood. Dirt will get stuck at the border and over time even with no yellowing it will be hard to avoid seeing an ugly horizontal line where the dirt has accumulated across your hood.

I don't think it matters if you mention my name but if you want to, just say to John @ AL that Kev with the M3 convt with NY plates sent ya.

Re: interference, my DD has non-ceramic tint and i haven't noticed any difference between the different types of tint and I spend wayyyy more time in my DD then my M3. The non-ceramic tint is way cheaper so if you're going this way you shouldn't be paying more than 150-170 for the sides and rear windshield.
      03-05-2012, 05:48 PM   #12
767IJP
Second Lieutenant

The bra is 3M I have no clue about the tint.
      03-06-2012, 02:33 AM   #13
kazin
Private

Drives: a

Just had my PPF/paint prep done by Marco/Kevin this past weekend and planning to go to John for my tint in the near future.

Speaking from personal experience, PPF is definitely something you don't want to skimp on as it can totally ruin the look of your car (assuming you have white). If you're spending north of 80k for a new m3, getting the dealership to organize your PPF/tint/detailing is like throwing a beautiful woman onto a shag carpet. Pay the extra few hundred to get it done right with Kevin and Marco. You won't regret it. They are awesome and I cannot recommend them highly enough.
      03-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #14
767IJP
Second Lieutenant

Thanks Kazin. Sold.
      03-06-2012, 11:49 PM   #15
RO_Turbo
///M-thusiast

Quote:
The bra is 3M I have no clue about the tint.
Well 3M owns ventureshield now and they also have their scotchguard. Don't quote me on this but I think the warranty is 5 yrs for both but the ventureshield warranty doesn't cover yellowing.
      04-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #16
BRAISKI
Colonel

Drives: '11 335xi e92 M-Pak

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [3.50]
I got my full hood, bumper and fenders done by Marco using ventureshield. Also had Kevin do a new car prep... Great guys and service...
BRAISKI is offline   Spain