BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing
 
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-16-2012, 08:27 AM   #23
jphughan
Brigadier General
 
jphughan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 3,421
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontid View Post
my car drinks oil like gasoline. I just was @ BMW and they advised that 1 qt every 700 miles is acceptable and the threshold. I think that's way too much but that's what I was told. All my Ms have burned lots of oil.
I wouldn't consider that anywhere NEAR acceptable! I had to add a quart around 6200 miles (so 4000 miles after my 1200 service) and had my oil changed again around 7500 miles. I'm now around 9200 and haven't had to add any more oil yet.
__________________
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Yoko AD08 R | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder
jphughan is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-16-2012, 01:43 PM   #24
ffejk
Private
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: LA, CA

Posts: 67
iTrader: (0)

My 08 would need a quart every 2000 miles or so. Took it to the dealer a couple times, they also said it was normal.

Have a 2012 now, about 2500 miles past the first oil change, around the half way marker now.
ffejk is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-16-2012, 07:04 PM   #25
Hurricane
Lieutenant
 
Hurricane's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New England

Posts: 469
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 E92 M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01'325rip View Post
No bought it used.

Had an inspection on it no accidenta clean history, and service.

Has 27k on it now.
Start tracking your consumption. I had a similar issue with a past car that needed new piston rings. I too purchased the car used. The inspection was clean, it had service history, and was accident free. At 27000 miles I would go around 3500 miles per liter. At 40000 miles I would go 1500-1750 miles per quart. At 55000 miles it need a quart every 800 miles. That's when I traded the car in.

With that said I don't want to freak you out but your consumption does seem high. As long as it remains constant and doesn't continue to drop it you should be ok. Good Luck. I hope it works out for you.
Hurricane is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-17-2012, 10:21 PM   #26
Adriansideways
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pretoria

Posts: 154
iTrader: (0)

Next time, buy your M3 new and run it in the way they say. My first E90 I baught a demo with only 1500miles on so I figuered its new! That car consumed at least 1,5 to 2 bottels (1L) between services. Milage varied between 17-22000 km according to service indicator. In my new e90 M3 may 2011 I ran the car in the way BMW recommends very painfully an with difficulty. Part throttle and not exeding 4000 rpm I found very difficult but I did it! Now it has 17000km on and I topt it up once while running in 500ml and it seems it stoped consuming oil all together! The other thing I noticed is the engine is more responsive and seems slightly stronger than the old one. (It has 10hp more on dyno) but the old car was dynoed 3 years ago so not 100% because not back to back, however as I said the car feels much stronger and seems to not use any oil!!
Adriansideways is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #27
01'325rip
Captain
 
Drives: 08' E93 M3
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: miami

Posts: 685
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriansideways View Post
Next time, buy your M3 new and run it in the way they say. My first E90 I baught a demo with only 1500miles on so I figuered its new! That car consumed at least 1,5 to 2 bottels (1L) between services. Milage varied between 17-22000 km according to service indicator. In my new e90 M3 may 2011 I ran the car in the way BMW recommends very painfully an with difficulty. Part throttle and not exeding 4000 rpm I found very difficult but I did it! Now it has 17000km on and I topt it up once while running in 500ml and it seems it stoped consuming oil all together! The other thing I noticed is the engine is more responsive and seems slightly stronger than the old one. (It has 10hp more on dyno) but the old car was dynoed 3 years ago so not 100% because not back to back, however as I said the car feels much stronger and seems to not use any oil!!
Hopefully ill be in the position to buy new one day!.


Thanks for all the help guys. I will keep you posted on what i end up finding out.
01'325rip is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2012, 08:27 PM   #28
MPowerrF10
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 F10 M5
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NJ

Posts: 513
iTrader: (2)

I'm kinda having the same issue with my 09 E92. I bought it with 46k miles and it still has factory warranty and is also CPO so I'm brining it to the dealer on Monday to get checked out

I was wondering what the oil burning has to do with an improper break in?


Quote:
Originally Posted by 01'325rip View Post
Hopefully ill be in the position to buy new one day!.


Thanks for all the help guys. I will keep you posted on what i end up finding out.
MPowerrF10 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-30-2012, 12:57 PM   #29
Adriansideways
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pretoria

Posts: 154
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowerrE92
I'm kinda having the same issue with my 09 E92. I bought it with 46k miles and it still has factory warranty and is also CPO so I'm brining it to the dealer on Monday to get checked out

I was wondering what the oil burning has to do with an improper break in?


Quote:
Originally Posted by 01'325rip View Post
Hopefully ill be in the position to buy new one day!.


Thanks for all the help guys. I will keep you posted on what i end up finding out.
Your m has Alucil piston sleeves and when you drive the car hard before they have seated properly your oil rings and compression rings dont work as well as they were designed to do and you get slight blowby and oil left on the sleeves that burn during combustion. That is why running your M in the proper way is important, I can feel the difference between my old and new engine. Why this occurs you have to ask the metallurgical engineers that design high performance engines I am not one. This was the explanation of technical department at BMW.
Adriansideways is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-01-2012, 09:34 PM   #30
XR_SIX
Bading-dong!
 
XR_SIX's Avatar
 
Drives: '11.5 E93 M3 AW, '09 R6
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Eagle rock, Ca

Posts: 268
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011.5 E93 M3  [0.00]
After a nice 250 mile trip over the weekend, my low oil warning light came on. I did not expect this. Bought the car new about 3 weeks ago and currently only has 810 miles on the clock. Fortunately, my local dealership was nice enough to provide me a bottle of 10w60 at no cost.
XR_SIX is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-04-2012, 12:05 PM   #31
Adriansideways
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pretoria

Posts: 154
iTrader: (0)

Yea also consumed some oil during running in
Adriansideways is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-24-2012, 10:07 AM   #32
01'325rip
Captain
 
Drives: 08' E93 M3
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: miami

Posts: 685
iTrader: (0)

So just as a precaution I'm taking my car to someone i know who is top notch. I will let you guys know what he comes up with as far as oil consumption.

My warranty is up in Nov. so i want to make sure my issues are all taken care. Updates soon!
01'325rip is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-03-2012, 12:06 PM   #33
mosx
The mod bug has bitten.
 
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Texas

Posts: 565
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Wow some of these numbers scare me. I haven't had to add any oil over the last 7500 miles... knock on wood.
mosx is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:30 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST