BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-17-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
 
mlhj83's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London

Posts: 1,031
iTrader: (0)

Renewing OEM Suspension

I do approximately 12k miles a year with 5 or so track days. While I understand that an accurate figure is impossible, does anyone have any info as to when to get new dampers and bushes?

I don't wish to have to wait till it's glaringly obvious that a suspension refresh is required, but rather a rough maintenance schedule to have them done. Many thanks.
mlhj83 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      04-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,104
iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
You could always purchase a set and have them waiting for whenever you decide they are needed for install.
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-17-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
 
mlhj83's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London

Posts: 1,031
iTrader: (0)

Thanks. I could do that but I don't want to end up spending a wad of cash too early, given that I could invest it in the meantime, so it'll be nice to know a ballpark mileage figure of when EDC dampers and bushes should be changed. I used to do it every 50k miles for my previous cars but suspect it may be later for the M3, or I may be wrong.
mlhj83 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      04-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #4
M3PO
Colonel
 
M3PO's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

Posts: 2,738
iTrader: (7)

75 to 80K is what I have heard. This is from Malek at MRF Engineering BTW. That's exactly what I would expect also.
__________________
2008 IB E92 M3| BBS | KW | Arkym | Platte Forme A.G. | Active Autowerke | K&N | Fabspeed | Dinan | Evolve-R
M3PO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #5
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
 
mlhj83's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London

Posts: 1,031
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
75 to 80K is what I have heard. This is from Malek at MRF Engineering BTW. That's exactly what I would expect also.
Cheers, good to know. Anyone else with ballpark figures? The more the merrier and the better I can plan for the future.
mlhj83 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      04-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #6
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 11|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
 
1MOREMOD's Avatar
 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

Posts: 12,387
iTrader: (5)

that seems a little high. that would be 6 years and 30 track days or so. i would say more like 50k you started with if it includes all those track days. with no track use probably more like the 80k stated.
__________________

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
1MOREMOD is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-17-2012, 03:09 PM   #7
jphughan
Brigadier General
 
jphughan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 3,397
iTrader: (0)

After tens of thousands of miles, a good mechanic should be able to check this while servicing your car and give you an estimate as to how much longer you can go based on wear rate; that estimate should give you plenty of warning. A great mechanic would do this and let you know without you even asking.

The parts in question aren't so terribly expensive that you should need to plan multiple years in advance though....
__________________
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Yoko AD08 R | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder
jphughan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #8
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
 
mlhj83's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London

Posts: 1,031
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
After tens of thousands of miles, a good mechanic should be able to check this while servicing your car and give you an estimate as to how much longer you can go based on wear rate; that estimate should give you plenty of warning. A great mechanic would do this and let you know without you even asking.

The parts in question aren't so terribly expensive that you should need to plan multiple years in advance though....
A mechanic can examine bushes but worn dampers cannot be visually inspected unless they are leaking or visibly abnormal. The only formal way of testing dampers is to have them dynoed, but it's not worth the cost to me.

It will cost 3 to 4000 here including labour. While, not a huge amount, still a fair amount at one go. I've racked up about 20k miles in the first year of ownership, but that will be coming down to 12k I hope, so 50k isn't too far away.

Last edited by mlhj83; 04-17-2012 at 03:35 PM.
mlhj83 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      04-17-2012, 06:56 PM   #9
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
MKE_M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 e90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 1,679
iTrader: (0)

If you can't tell you need them, you probably don't. They really don't go from perfect to bad, they degrade slowly over time. I'd guess 50-80k is a good time frame to consider replacement.
__________________
MKE_M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-17-2012, 07:08 PM   #10
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
 
mlhj83's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London

Posts: 1,031
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemetry View Post
If you can't tell you need them, you probably don't. They really don't go from perfect to bad, they degrade slowly over time. I'd guess 50-80k is a good time frame to consider replacement.
Thanks. I do understand that the degradation is gradual, which is why I'm looking for kind of a schedule, just like changing engine oil, but yes, 50K onwards sounds about right.
mlhj83 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      04-17-2012, 07:11 PM   #11
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
MKE_M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 e90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 1,679
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
Thanks. I do understand that the degradation is gradual, which is why I'm looking for kind of a schedule, just like changing engine oil, but yes, 50K onwards sounds about right.
The differance is with engine oil you wouldn't notice it's time to change until it's doing serious damage to your car. With shocks, they can have seriously reduced performance but not hurt anything under normal driving conditions. It's more of a matter of feel then anything (unless they're totally blown)
__________________
MKE_M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-17-2012, 07:15 PM   #12
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
 
mlhj83's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London

Posts: 1,031
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemetry View Post
The differance is with engine oil you wouldn't notice it's time to change until it's doing serious damage to your car. With shocks, they can have seriously reduced performance but not hurt anything under normal driving conditions. It's more of a matter of feel then anything (unless they're totally blown)
Yes, was aware of that, but just using oil as a simple analogy, perhaps not the best one.
mlhj83 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      04-17-2012, 07:18 PM   #13
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
MKE_M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 e90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 1,679
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
Yes, was aware of that, but just using oil as a simple analogy, perhaps not the best one.
No worries, just trying to be clear
__________________
MKE_M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:13 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST