BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Strasse Wheels

04-10-2012, 05:50 PM   #23
bmwe92fan
Ex GF's: E60 M5, E65, E63, E53, E46 M3, E39
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

Try not to get the engineering department confused with the marketing team at BMW - an engineer would give very different answers to this question than a marketer. From a marketing perspective the 3-series is where most BMW owners "enter" into the brand, and then they fall in love and "move up". Do not look for them to try and reach down and pull consumers "up" by lowering prices as this is NOT how they want to do it and those consumers really aren't who they want in the brand anyways...

Most of us on here are enthusiasts who represent as others have pointed out a very small segment of the brand -- a very important one but small nonetheless. What we think is interesting but doesn't drive the brand.

BMW will always be about the driving experience -- but it will always be looking for the individuals that want to move up on their own and can afford to do it...
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #24
bmwe92fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minigearhead View Post
the cost of developing a new series is IMMENSE and very rarely worth it if there is only a small difference between two different series'
That's a really good point. Did you happen to see the Discovery Channel's (I think it was discovery) documentary on the development of the new 6-series - how long it took and how much it cost. Only BMW would do that - and that is why I love BMW's!

Last edited by bmwe92fan; 04-10-2012 at 06:34 PM. Reason: typos
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #25
mjposner
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Also, German car makers can't compete in US against Jap/Korean cars so they have to move up market. In Europe they do compete with many lower priced smaller cars.
My Car Photo Blog: http://carfisheye.blogspot.com/
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 06:49 PM   #26
bmwe92fan
United_States
Rep

Well I've lived in both Europe and Asia and you are right - they do make available much smaller cars with a much broader range of engines but I wouldn't go so far to say they are cheaper (relatively speaking) considering the segments they compete in...
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 01:07 AM   #27
speedfan
Major
Vietnam
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan View Post
Try not to get the engineering department confused with the marketing team at BMW - an engineer would give very different answers to this question than a marketer. From a marketing perspective the 3-series is where most BMW owners "enter" into the brand, and then they fall in love and "move up". Do not look for them to try and reach down and pull consumers "up" by lowering prices as this is NOT how they want to do it and those consumers really aren't who they want in the brand anyways...

Most of us on here are enthusiasts who represent as others have pointed out a very small segment of the brand -- a very important one but small nonetheless. What we think is interesting but doesn't drive the brand.

BMW will always be about the driving experience -- but it will always be looking for the individuals that want to move up on their own and can afford to do it...
Agreed & understood :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan View Post
That's a really good point. Did you happen to see the Discovery Channel's (I think it was discovery) documentary on the development of the new 6-series - how long it took and how much it cost. Only BMW would do that - and that is why I love BMW's!
I saw the part of a crash-test BMW dummie with attached sensors cost $200k each. Had to pick up my jaw from the ground!

Frozen Grey. Dry CF Roof. Vorsteiner Double Sided CF Boot Lid. OSS. BMW Performance Aero Kit. BMW Performance CF Diffuser Cover. BMW Performance CF Trim. Robson Design Steering Wheel. Advan RS. Michelin PSS. H&R Touring Cup Kit. BMW Performance Brakes. Eisenmann Race Rear Muffler. ESS Directflash
Appreciate 0