BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #1
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
Wendall's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
1,146
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (3)

Answer to why hifi system sounds bad!

So I spent a few hours yesterday replacing all the hifi speakers (2ohm) with the logic 7 speakers (4ohm). What I found was the hifi tweeters are 4ohm. I kept the Hifi tweeters in and just replaced the woofers. Now the output of the tweeters is matching the woofers.

I put in the aluminum dome logic 7 tweeters for a short while but i found them a bit harsh and tinny. Put the textile domes back in.

Prior to the woofer replacement, the system sounded really dull and highs were lacking output.

But now it really sings.
__________________
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
172
Rep
11,191
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggynuts01 View Post
So I spent a few hours yesterday replacing all the hifi speakers (2ohm) with the logic 7 speakers (4ohm). What I found was the hifi tweeters are 4ohm. I kept the Hifi tweeters in and just replaced the woofers. Now the output of the tweeters is matching the woofers.

I put in the aluminum dome logic 7 tweeters for a short while but i found them a bit harsh and tinny. Put the textile domes back in.

Prior to the woofer replacement, the system sounded really dull and highs were lacking output.

But now it really sings.
... and if you replace all the HiFi speakers -except the HiFi OEM woofers- with the Individual Audio component and coaxial OEM speakers while keeping the HiFi OEM amp then it will sound even better.

The HiFi OEM amp is quite decent for a standard OEM amp. The HiFi speakers are a disgrace, though.
__________________
-2015 F30 320i, Imperial/Oyster, 8AT: August 2014 ED
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT: Gone
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
Wendall's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
1,146
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
... and if you replace all the HiFi speakers -except the HiFi OEM woofers- with the Individual Audio component and coaxial OEM speakers while keeping the HiFi OEM amp then it will sound even better.

The HiFi OEM amp is quite decent for a standard OEM amp. The HiFi speakers are a disgrace, though.
I have the JL xd600/6 installed with the help of your awesome harness. Its so clean looking and easy.
__________________
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
kmarei
Major General
kmarei's Avatar
Egypt
130
Rep
6,481
Posts

 
Drives: 1988 E30 M3 Evo II
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Reston, VA

iTrader: (33)

Garage List
Logic 7 mids are great
HIFI tweeters suck
Logic 7 tweeters suck too

Ideally you want logic 7 mids with aftermarket tweeters
__________________
This user has been banned from the 4 series forum because he doesn't sing its merits like the admins want us all to

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #5
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
Wendall's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
1,146
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
Logic 7 mids are great
HIFI tweeters suck
Logic 7 tweeters suck too

Ideally you want logic 7 mids with aftermarket tweeters
I think aftermarket tweeters are the next upgrade. Which ones do you recommend. Also, i have the L7 mids crossed @ 170hz do you think that is good?
__________________
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #6
kmarei
Major General
kmarei's Avatar
Egypt
130
Rep
6,481
Posts

 
Drives: 1988 E30 M3 Evo II
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Reston, VA

iTrader: (33)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggynuts01 View Post
I think aftermarket tweeters are the next upgrade. Which ones do you recommend. Also, i have the L7 mids crossed @ 170hz do you think that is good?
I'm in a minority when it comes to crossover point
I believe Technic/vp etc all say around 150-175
I didn't like that at all (back when I had the logic 7 speakers)
Problem with 150-170 is the mids sound good, but the I can tell the mid bass is coming from underneath me since the subs have to produce sound up to the same crossover point
I had mine set to 90hz between mids and sws-8
But I'd you're giving the speakers, they can't handle such a low crossover point
I was only giving them about 50 watts each

This is where the MS-8 is great
Being able to try different crossover points without getting out of the drivers seat is cool

As for tweeters recommendations, not sure
I was using very old school tweeters that were made in the 80s or 90s
Can't get them anymore
__________________
This user has been banned from the 4 series forum because he doesn't sing its merits like the admins want us all to

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #7
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
Wendall's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
1,146
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
I'm in a minority when it comes to crossover point
I believe Technic/vp etc all say around 150-175
I didn't like that at all (back when I had the logic 7 speakers)
Problem with 150-170 is the mids sound good, but the I can tell the mid bass is coming from underneath me since the subs have to produce sound up to the same crossover point
I had mine set to 90hz between mids and sws-8
But I'd you're giving the speakers, they can't handle such a low crossover point
I was only giving them about 50 watts each

This is where the MS-8 is great
Being able to try different crossover points without getting out of the drivers seat is cool


As for tweeters recommendations, not sure
I was using very old school tweeters that were made in the 80s or 90s
Can't get them anymore



i was just playing with the xover point on the L7s and they sure do sound good. The Hifi would distort under 200hz. The L7s play down to 100hz well. They actually put out some decent midbass, but i am afraid of there power handling with 70w rms. So i put them at 160hz for now.
__________________
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 06:45 PM   #8
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
Wendall's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
1,146
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
... and if you replace all the HiFi speakers -except the HiFi OEM woofers- with the Individual Audio component and coaxial OEM speakers while keeping the HiFi OEM amp then it will sound even better.

The HiFi OEM amp is quite decent for a standard OEM amp. The HiFi speakers are a disgrace, though.
Hey Technic, quick question. Can I remove the front tweeter pods in the sails without removing the door panels?
__________________
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 06:51 PM   #9
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
172
Rep
11,191
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggynuts01 View Post
Hey Technic, quick question. Can I remove the front tweeter pods in the sails without removing the door panels?
The way the pods are attached does not allow removal with the door panels in place. If you force them something may break.
__________________
-2015 F30 320i, Imperial/Oyster, 8AT: August 2014 ED
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT: Gone
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 06:52 PM   #10
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
Wendall's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
1,146
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The way the pods are attached does not allow removal with the door panels in place. If you force them something may break.
Okay thanks. I was looking for an easy way out.
__________________
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 03:29 AM   #11
Stallion150
Second Lieutenant
Stallion150's Avatar
8
Rep
219
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (0)

LOL---I must be deaf. I think my Individual Audio sounds pretty good! CD's sound muddy ( i def hear that), but when the ipod is connected via USB, it sounds pretty damn good.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 05:27 PM   #12
taibanl
Brigadier General
taibanl's Avatar
65
Rep
3,644
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NA

iTrader: (4)

Biggy...did you meter the voice coils? Bmw docs indicate L7 as 2ohm as well as hifi
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 11:32 PM   #13
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
Wendall's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
1,146
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
Biggy...did you meter the voice coils? Bmw docs indicate L7 as 2ohm as well as hifi
I didn't. I believe you are correct 2ohms. I was mistaken by the slightly less sensitive L7 mid.
__________________
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #14
sunmans
Private
Japan
0
Rep
83
Posts

 
Drives: E90 2008 320i M-sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Japan

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Skype™ to sunmans
I just want to check. L7 mid is 2ohms? If I use a 4 ohm amp with it, does that mean a cooked amp?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 04:46 AM   #15
cwg
Captain
9
Rep
664
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 M3 ZCP. Jzb on black
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Kailua, HI

iTrader: (0)

When you say HIFI is that the same as the Enhanced Premium sound that cost $2000? I heard that EPS was the same as the individual sound system and rocks
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 05:40 AM   #16
SROC5
Addicted to Track
SROC5's Avatar
United_States
29
Rep
1,647
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USCON

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
... and if you replace all the HiFi speakers -except the HiFi OEM woofers- with the Individual Audio component and coaxial OEM speakers while keeping the HiFi OEM amp then it will sound even better.

The HiFi OEM amp is quite decent for a standard OEM amp. The HiFi speakers are a disgrace, though.
Technic, sounds like if you have the EPS system / Logic 7, if you just change the Tweeters up front to something else it would greatly improve the sound. If so, which Tweeters do you recommend that would be plug and play? I could be inclined to do this if I don't have to get too technical and can just plop in new ones DIY.

Thoughts?
__________________

| Akrapovic Evo | ESSi | Swift Spec-R | CF Spoiler | APEX ARC-8 | RS-3 | PFC-08 | DIF |
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #17
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
Wendall's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
1,146
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunmans View Post
I just want to check. L7 mid is 2ohms? If I use a 4 ohm amp with it, does that mean a cooked amp?
No. Just make sure the amp is 2ohm capable. Most are.
__________________
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #18
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
Wendall's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
1,146
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwg View Post
When you say HIFI is that the same as the Enhanced Premium sound that cost $2000? I heard that EPS was the same as the individual sound system and rocks
Hifi is no the same as eps. Hifi is the base m3 system.
__________________
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #19
sunmans
Private
Japan
0
Rep
83
Posts

 
Drives: E90 2008 320i M-sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Japan

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Skype™ to sunmans
Got it. Looks like I need to go shopping.





Quote:
Originally Posted by biggynuts01 View Post
No. Just make sure the amp is 2ohm capable. Most are.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 12:26 AM   #20
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
172
Rep
11,191
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC5 View Post
Technic, sounds like if you have the EPS system / Logic 7, if you just change the Tweeters up front to something else it would greatly improve the sound. If so, which Tweeters do you recommend that would be plug and play? I could be inclined to do this if I don't have to get too technical and can just plop in new ones DIY.

Thoughts?
I used to have EPS in my old 2008 M3. Now it is HiFi in my 2012 M3.

I posted two threads on my HiFi upgrades...
__________________
-2015 F30 320i, Imperial/Oyster, 8AT: August 2014 ED
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT: Gone
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 08:06 AM   #21
SROC5
Addicted to Track
SROC5's Avatar
United_States
29
Rep
1,647
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USCON

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
I used to have EPS in my old 2008 M3. Now it is HiFi in my 2012 M3.

I posted two threads on my HiFi upgrades...
omg, I got the crappier system for more money! Thanks BMW!
__________________

| Akrapovic Evo | ESSi | Swift Spec-R | CF Spoiler | APEX ARC-8 | RS-3 | PFC-08 | DIF |
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 06:27 AM   #22
kerkiraios00
Lieutenant
kerkiraios00's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
477
Posts

 
Drives: '11 Jerez E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Queens,NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggynuts01 View Post
So I spent a few hours yesterday replacing all the hifi speakers (2ohm) with the logic 7 speakers (4ohm). What I found was the hifi tweeters are 4ohm. I kept the Hifi tweeters in and just replaced the woofers. Now the output of the tweeters is matching the woofers.

I put in the aluminum dome logic 7 tweeters for a short while but i found them a bit harsh and tinny. Put the textile domes back in.

Prior to the woofer replacement, the system sounded really dull and highs were lacking output.

But now it really sings.
So all you basically did was replace the hifi speakers and woofers to L7s? And it sounded alot better? I did know they were a direct fit?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:40 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST