BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

INDustry distribution

01-18-2012, 10:24 PM   #23
RichMattB
Private First Class

Drives: e90 ///M3, e70 X5 4.8i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
You are very welcome. I think this thread is necessary given the lower interior build quality of the E92. I found my E46 to be bulletproof.
I totally agree. I also had an e90 335i before my e90 M3 and there was no comparison. The M3 seems to have many more squeaks and rattles than my previous car did.

I wonder sometimes if the engineers did not properly account for the significant increase in stress on the M3's chassis caused by lower profile tires, stiffer suspension, etc.
RichMattB is offline   United_States
      01-20-2012, 11:23 AM   #24
OC ///M
Dr. Octagon

Drives: Moonstone e92 M3

Good post OP.
A thread like this should have been stickied back in '08!

This link may help some: Nav Area Rattling Noise

2013 E92 M3 Individual
Sold: 2011 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Into a Wall: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2007 E92 335i JB
OC ///M is offline   United_States
      01-20-2012, 11:50 AM   #25
stefan
Colonel

Drives: E92M3

Garage List
1999 VF BMW M3  [5.00]
2008 135i  [5.00]
2003 M3  [3.10]
2011.75 BMW M3  [4.17]
2009 STi  [3.83]
Thanks, I updated the main post with that info. I think I've got the same rattle now. -40*C brings out the rattles for sure.

I contacted southlight about getting this post stickied, but he probably gets a ton of PMs. Anyone know the appropriate process?
      02-03-2012, 04:48 PM   #26
stefan
Colonel

Garage List
1999 VF BMW M3  [5.00]
2008 135i  [5.00]
2003 M3  [3.10]
2011.75 BMW M3  [4.17]
2009 STi  [3.83]
Bump.. anyone have a rattle that sounds almost like it's coming from the top of the steering wheel mount?
      04-05-2012, 10:24 PM   #27
Sejzilla
Major

Drives: AW 14 M5 ZCP

Quote:
Bump.. anyone have a rattle that sounds almost like it's coming from the top of the steering wheel mount?
I do... Driving me crazy cause I can't figure it out..
      04-06-2012, 08:17 AM   #28
Roby84m
Second Lieutenant

Drives: ///M3 E92 ZCP

Send a message via Skype™ to Roby84m
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin turbo View Post
My car has a rattle in the center of the dash. It appears to me to be the plastic frame around the iDrive screen. I am going to try and remove it and see if the rattle goes away. It stops when I apply pressure to the center of the dash itself. Anybody else experience this?
I realized that too. I am going to service car for the break fluid change and put the summers on. I was wondering if i should mention about this problem or not. I am scared they will take the dashboard apart to fix it and i will end up having more rattles around that area after they are done.
Oh by the way my mid speakers rattles(kinda buzzing) when i listen to certain tones with very high volume especially the front passenger. Did anybody have a problem like this? Is it because speakers cannot handle too high and give up start vibrating or loose wiring?
Roby84m is offline   Canada
      04-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #29
stefan
Colonel

Garage List
1999 VF BMW M3  [5.00]
2008 135i  [5.00]
2003 M3  [3.10]
2011.75 BMW M3  [4.17]
2009 STi  [3.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roby84m View Post
I realized that too. I am going to service car for the break fluid change and put the summers on. I was wondering if i should mention about this problem or not. I am scared they will take the dashboard apart to fix it and i will end up having more rattles around that area after they are done.
Oh by the way my mid speakers rattles(kinda buzzing) when i listen to certain tones with very high volume especially the front passenger. Did anybody have a problem like this? Is it because speakers cannot handle too high and give up start vibrating or loose wiring?
Try some felt tape along the speaker grille?
      04-23-2012, 03:51 PM   #30
signes
Brigadier General

Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
I've had this one for a long time now and it is driving me nuts. When driving I can make it go away if I jam my fingers in between the top of the steering wheel column and the bottom of the instrument cluster. I have a feeling something in/around the cluster or column has just com a little loose. I've been meaning to take the wheel off and have a look but haven't had time yet.
signes is offline   United_States
      12-02-2012, 03:18 PM   #31
Franken///M
A70

Drives: '11 E92 M3 6MT

I finally found the source of the single rattle in my car. It appears to be coming from the single seat of the rear fold down seats. It is evident over poor, uneven road surfaces, mostly washboard pavement. Has anyone experienced this and knows of a fix?
Franken///M is offline   Germany
      02-12-2013, 09:35 AM   #32
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant

Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Noise description: Noticeable, ticking/rattling on rough pavement.
Fix method: The panel between the cupholders, although constructed well, uses two aluminum guides that, naturally, rattle in their respective holders. I don't have a picture, but if you use a pry tool and pop the left and right side, you'll see what I mean. In the center, there are two silicone guides, the pins that slide into these guides rest on the panel itself, and they vibrate inside the panel, in the slots where they reside. What I did was use 40 year silicone clear caulk and sort of "glue" them in place. Since it's not permanent, the silicone acts as a resonating absorption mechanism. I used the same caulking for all the guides in the A and B pillars as well as felt the heck out of those metal areas.
Thread link? None

Noise description: Noticeable, rattle/echo on bumps, annoying, hard to trace.
Fix method: Remove SRS cover, use T-25 to remove screw, pull A pillar out and up. There is a shitty plastic clip that resides in a groove in the A pillar cover itself. Use 40 year soft silicone caulk to "set" this plastic clip in the groove, it will act as a damper for it's rattling. Cut 1"x1" thin felt strip and place over the hole where the clip will attach to the metal surface. Punch hole in the felt after applied. This is the cause of the echo, the plastic against the metal. Felt any areas you see where plastic may contact. Where the A pillar meets the dash, apply krytox sparingly as this area is known for a "squeak/creak". Re-attach in the reverse.

Thread link? None
Noise description: Noticeable, rattle/echo on bumps, annoying, easy to trace.
Fix method: This is sort of a pain in the ass, as yo have to remove the plastic door entry strip first (front) and just remove partially the passenger/rear entry strip. You can then pull the B pillar from the bottom outward and down. There are two shitty plastic clips that are similar to the A pillar, they need to be silicone caulked to lock them in place and cease their rattling. You need to felt EVERY piece of metal you see. Especially over the holes where these clips reside. Punch holes in the felt over the holes. On the underside of the B pillar cover, top, you'll see a plastic groove that meets the upper section. This rattles against this upper section. Apply felt to the upper section where this piece will meet. Re-attach in the reverse, BUT, apply krytox to the underside of the entry plastic strips as these tent to creak like a bitch.
Thread link? Many, with no real solution.

Hope these help some folks out. I am completely shocked that both the 335 and the M3 have so little insulation in the pillar areas. They are a major source of acoustics in the cabin and cheap to throw some on there during build time, and weigh NOTHING! Good luck. None of the felt applied here is visible, and the cabin is worlds quieter.

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Carbon/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/Rattle fixes

Last edited by thekurgan; 02-12-2013 at 03:51 PM.
thekurgan is offline   United_States
      04-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #33
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Location: Creak, driver's door located within the window/lock button assembly.
Noise description: Creak when opening/closing the door, using the interior door handle.
Fix method: Remove door panel, pop window/lock button assembly out. Disassemble to remove the top cover portion and apply krytox to the locking areas/pins. Reassemble. While you've got the door apart, there are several areas that can be improved. The door pins themselves slide into plastic slots. Using non-permanent latex sealer, "glue" the pins to the slots (note this is not permanent, but acts as a resonation eliminator). Apply felt to areas under/over wires that rattle against each other. Lubricate the bowden cable. Examine the vapor guard, fix as necessary. Apply krytox to the area of the painted door where the door panel will come into contact and creak. Apply krytox to the upper clips (nearest the window) to eliminate those creaking areas. Upon final assembly of the decorative piece, apply krytox on the side where this piece rubs on the door itself, thereby eliminating that creaking possibility.
Thread link? None

07-09-2013, 12:02 AM   #34
dreamspeed
Captain

Drives: 6MT

My car recently developed a rattle from the front nav area and a squeak from the rear corner window area on the driver side.

At first i thought the rattle was from the dome light so i pulled the assembly down and drove around with the assembly hanging down to see if the noise went away, it didn't.

Then i thought the noise was from the Nav screen so i unscrewed the screen housing and pulled the screen out and drove around, the noise was still there

Finally i started prying the center speaker with a credit card and the noise went away, WIN.

There was this intermittent squeaking sound from the rear window and I could tell it was the sound of hard plastic. I sat in the back and had my wife drive around so i could pinpoint the noise. I found the source pretty easily and wedged a small microfiber towel into the corner of the rear window and the noise went away.

The GD rattles are annoying as hell but the only thing you can do is systematically locate and fix the problems
      09-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #35
MMM PWR
Private First Class

Drives: E92 M3 & 360 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franken///M View Post
I finally found the source of the single rattle in my car. It appears to be coming from the single seat of the rear fold down seats. It is evident over poor, uneven road surfaces, mostly washboard pavement. Has anyone experienced this and knows of a fix?
...I have this one. What is the fix?
MMM PWR is offline   Canada
      07-02-2014, 04:09 PM   #36
modkrazy
Lieutenant

Drives: m3

I figured I'd resurrect this thread, since I've just dealt with a number of rattles, and as new people jump into our now old-timey rattle-traps, I'm sure this topic will come up.

A few people in this thread mentioned a rattle in the center dash area that they can't trace to the vents, or iDrive or any particular part. Well, I had the same rattle, and it seems it's the whole middle of the car flexes. On a whim, I jammed my fingers into the space where the center console and the dash meet (so right above the ashtray), and noticed that as the car moved over bumps, etc. that area would flex and compress my fingers. I also noticed that the creaking stopped! My solution has been to take a length of rubber tubing in 1/2" diameter, and jam it into that space. It goes pretty deep, so it won't be noticeable, and the rubber tubing absorbs the flexing and prevents the noise.

The rear seat-frame creak, unfortunately, requires replacing the whole damn seat-frame.
      07-02-2014, 04:11 PM   #37
M3ANMACHINE
Hella Functional

Drives: 2004 BMW E46 M3

Fantastic thread! I've been dying to fix a rattle in my dash, so hopefully this can help me find it!

E90///M3 x 6MT x APEX x AE Performance x Bimmerworld x Dinan x Evolve x KW x Mode Carbon x PFC x TMS

M3ANMACHINE is offline   United_States
      07-02-2014, 09:38 PM   #38
skru_fase
Private

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Great work putting this all together!
      07-10-2014, 04:16 PM   #39
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by modkrazy View Post
I figured I'd resurrect this thread, since I've just dealt with a number of rattles, and as new people jump into our now old-timey rattle-traps, I'm sure this topic will come up.

A few people in this thread mentioned a rattle in the center dash area that they can't trace to the vents, or iDrive or any particular part. Well, I had the same rattle, and it seems it's the whole middle of the car flexes. On a whim, I jammed my fingers into the space where the center console and the dash meet (so right above the ashtray), and noticed that as the car moved over bumps, etc. that area would flex and compress my fingers. I also noticed that the creaking stopped! My solution has been to take a length of rubber tubing in 1/2" diameter, and jam it into that space. It goes pretty deep, so it won't be noticeable, and the rubber tubing absorbs the flexing and prevents the noise.

The rear seat-frame creak, unfortunately, requires replacing the whole damn seat-frame.
Strangely, in my E90M3, this doesn't seem an issue, but on my 335i, I shoved a black business card ( from some bar), in that area and solved it, but I like your rubber tubing solution better.