BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
ottoblotto
///M-Flight Bavaria
ottoblotto's Avatar
Germany
18
Rep
1,210
Posts

 
Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Im around

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2011.75 BMW M3 E90  [5.00]
2010 BMW X5  [0.00]
No Dinan at German Dealership???

I emailed my dealer asking them about Dinan parts. They replied that they had never heard of them, they carry AC Schnitzer only. I told them that I thought that BMW was good with Dinan aftermarket and even allowed you to maintain the factory warranties with it. They said, sorry, never heard of them... Why do I find that so hard to believe?
__________________
"With great power comes great responsibility." -El-Superbeasto
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 11:14 AM   #2
Z K
Colonel
Z K's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
2,174
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3, MK6 GLI
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (3)

Dinan is a US-based tuner. They are not associated directly with BMW. Only some dealers sell Dinan parts, it isn't factory authorized.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
SchnellM3
Digger
SchnellM3's Avatar
United_States
56
Rep
2,616
Posts

 
Drives: 03 E46 M3, 09 E92 M3, 09 X6 50
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Pa

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Dinan is a US-based tuner. They are not associated directly with BMW. Only some dealers sell Dinan parts, it isn't factory authorized.
+1

IIRC from what I understand, I think that IF something goes wrong its on Dinans tab and they pick up it not BMW?
__________________
2009 E92 M3 /// Melbourne Red /// Fox Red /// M DKG

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
THE TECH's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
13,121
Posts


 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Dinan is a US-based tuner. They are not associated directly with BMW. Only some dealers sell Dinan parts, it isn't factory authorized.
+1
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
ottoblotto
///M-Flight Bavaria
ottoblotto's Avatar
Germany
18
Rep
1,210
Posts

 
Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Im around

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2011.75 BMW M3 E90  [5.00]
2010 BMW X5  [0.00]
From Dinan website:
"To obtain service under this warranty, the vehicle must be brought, upon discovery of a malfunction or defect in materials and/or workmanship, to the workshop of any Authorized Dinan Dealer, during normal business hours. Proof of purchase in the form of a lawful invoice is required. The Authorized Dinan Dealer will, without charge for parts or labor, repair or replace the defective Dinan component(s), as well as any original vehicle manufacturer's component(s) that may have been directly affected by a Dinan component, using new or authorized remanufactured parts. The decision to repair or replace said parts is at the sole discretion of Dinan and/or the original vehicle manufacturer. Parts for which replacements are supplied under this limited warranty become the property of Dinan and/or the original vehicle manufacturer. In all cases, a reasonable period of time must be allowed for warranty repairs to be completed after the vehicle is delivered to the Authorized Dinan Dealer."

This led me to believe the BMW dealers were aligned with them. And since I live in Germany but have an American spec BMW, that it fell into that category. Does not matter though as they do not sell/warranty Dinan there... So if I end up with AC Schnitzer parts, are they not covered/warrantied in the states? Time for some research...
__________________
"With great power comes great responsibility." -El-Superbeasto
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #6
Jbook
Major
Jbook's Avatar
17
Rep
1,294
Posts

 
Drives: '11 ESS E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South Bay Area

iTrader: (20)

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [4.72]
That's unfortunate... AC Schnitzer parts look HORRIBLE
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #7
Z K
Colonel
Z K's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
2,174
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3, MK6 GLI
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoblotto View Post

This led me to believe the BMW dealers were aligned with them. And since I live in Germany but have an American spec BMW, that it fell into that category. Does not matter though as they do not sell/warranty Dinan there... So if I end up with AC Schnitzer parts, are they not covered/warrantied in the states? Time for some research...
In your quote, it has to be a "Authorized Dinan Dealer" that performs any warranty coverage. Unless you take the car to a Dinan American reseller (dealer/shop etc), they aren't going to cover you. Like I said, some US dealers work with Dinan, not all, and definitely not internationally.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #8
dex37
Second Lieutenant
dex37's Avatar
2
Rep
204
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

No, there is no Dinan here unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 12:37 PM   #9
KJ
First Lieutenant
Canada
9
Rep
379
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 - Alpine White
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (1)

Even with a Dinan warranty, Dinan could blame the BMW part and BMW could blame the Dinan part.

You would be on the hook to PROVE which part caused the failure.

They could play the blame game on you and you'd be stuck in the middle.

The ONLY way to avoid this would be to buy and install the Dinan parts via a BMW dealership. Since they are on both sides of the transaction, both fingers would point back to themselves at the end.

That being said, I'm not a fan of Dinan parts myself.

- KJ
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 12:52 PM   #10
jphughan
Brigadier General
jphughan's Avatar
United_States
39
Rep
3,474
Posts

 
Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoblotto View Post
From Dinan website:
"To obtain service under this warranty, the vehicle must be brought, upon discovery of a malfunction or defect in materials and/or workmanship, to the workshop of any Authorized Dinan Dealer, during normal business hours. Proof of purchase in the form of a lawful invoice is required. The Authorized Dinan Dealer will, without charge for parts or labor, repair or replace the defective Dinan component(s), as well as any original vehicle manufacturer's component(s) that may have been directly affected by a Dinan component, using new or authorized remanufactured parts. The decision to repair or replace said parts is at the sole discretion of Dinan and/or the original vehicle manufacturer. Parts for which replacements are supplied under this limited warranty become the property of Dinan and/or the original vehicle manufacturer. In all cases, a reasonable period of time must be allowed for warranty repairs to be completed after the vehicle is delivered to the Authorized Dinan Dealer."

This led me to believe the BMW dealers were aligned with them. And since I live in Germany but have an American spec BMW, that it fell into that category. Does not matter though as they do not sell/warranty Dinan there... So if I end up with AC Schnitzer parts, are they not covered/warrantied in the states? Time for some research...
Some BMW dealers ARE aligned with Dinan, but that doesn't mean BMW itself is, nor does it mean that ANY dealers outside the US are. And yes, as others have said even Dinan's warranty policy can cause problems where Dinan and BMW point fingers at each other, though this can typically be mitigated by working with a dealer authorized by both BMW and Dinan, since they'll have to fix it regardless of whose fault it is.
__________________
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Yoko AD08 R | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 01:32 PM   #11
BMWJones
Private
BMWJones's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
140
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 Space Gray 6/MT
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoblotto
I emailed my dealer asking them about Dinan parts. They replied that they had never heard of them, they carry AC Schnitzer only. I told them that I thought that BMW was good with Dinan aftermarket and even allowed you to maintain the factory warranties with it. They said, sorry, never heard of them... Why do I find that so hard to believe?
Bummer about not being able to get Dinan in Germany...AC Schnitzer is really tired.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:40 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST