BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-31-2012, 09:39 AM   #45
schnell325
Bored at work....
schnell325's Avatar
Canada
43
Rep
3,875
Posts

 
Drives: '08 M3,'11 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: BC

iTrader: (5)

Ouch
__________________
'08 M3: AA G2L3, Catless X-Pipe & Sig Series Rear. AP rods. TC Kline EDC Coil Overs. MRF Alum Sub Frame Bushings. TMS Delrin Diff'l Bushings. BFI Motor Mounts. Recaro PP. BMW Perf Steering Wheel. P3 Gauge. PS Overflow Kit. APEX ARC-8 18"x9.5"/10.5". Conti Slicks 275/35F 305/30R. Stoptech Pads/SS Lines. Cantrell Brake Ducts.
http://5252motorsports.blogspot.ca/2...3-sleeper.html
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 12:03 PM   #46
von_zoom
Captain
von_zoom's Avatar
10
Rep
915
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 Z06
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Carolina

iTrader: (0)

Does not look like he had the bra in the correct place.
vz
__________________


Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 09:14 PM   #47
signes
Brigadier General
signes's Avatar
United_States
63
Rep
4,214
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Spinnin at 8k

iTrader: (3)

Nice attempted parallel parking move... Ouch.
__________________
08 E90 | Jet Black / Black | 6MT
Mods: RAC RG63 w/ Pirelli Corsa 255F/285R | Akrapovic Evo Exhaust | OEM Blacklines
Winter Setup: OEM 18s w/ Nokian Hakkapeliita R 245/40-18
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 03:15 PM   #48
e46e92love
Brigadier General
e46e92love's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
3,059
Posts

 
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The East Side of Things

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to e46e92love
What was that guy smoking? Jerking the wheel opposite of the weight transfer his car was in the progress of then turning against the skid while slamming the brakes.....

Been to a number of auto-x events and have never seen anything like that. Course, vettes are beasts on the track, but a HELL OF A LOT less forgiving then cars like the GTR or ///M3. Better be damn sure of what you are doing with those beasts.

Hopefully the guys was ok, sure he was. Car is screwed though.

Cheers,
e46e92
__________________

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #49
ortho281
Captain
ortho281's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
694
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Katy, TX

iTrader: (0)

I purchased a 9-event policy through BMWCCA HPDE. Policy covers most HPDE's and Open track days.
__________________

Akra Evo / MS stage 2 / MS UDP / VF Tune / KW Clubsports Coilovers / Vorshlag plates / TMS Delrin Bushings / ST 380/355 BBK / ST SR34 pads / Apex Arc-8 / Nitto NT01 / APR splitter and wing / Cantrell Motorsports half cage / Recaro Profi / Schroth Profi II-6 / BMW Performance Alcantera wheel / Aim Solo DL
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 08:16 PM   #50
klammer
Brigadier General
41
Rep
3,245
Posts

 
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 07 X5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: chicago

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho281
I purchased a 9-event policy through BMWCCA HPDE. Policy covers most HPDE's and Open track days.
Quanta costa?
__________________
mods: akra evo, dinan 3.45 diff, ess akra tune, dinan stg.3, Alcon bbk, HRE P40
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 01:41 PM   #51
ortho281
Captain
ortho281's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
694
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Katy, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
Quanta costa?
Depends on declared value of your car and how many track days per year. Quotes are free.

http://bmwhpdeins.locktonaffinity.co...ult.aspx?cID=1
__________________

Akra Evo / MS stage 2 / MS UDP / VF Tune / KW Clubsports Coilovers / Vorshlag plates / TMS Delrin Bushings / ST 380/355 BBK / ST SR34 pads / Apex Arc-8 / Nitto NT01 / APR splitter and wing / Cantrell Motorsports half cage / Recaro Profi / Schroth Profi II-6 / BMW Performance Alcantera wheel / Aim Solo DL
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 09:38 AM   #52
Car54
Captain
10
Rep
899
Posts

 
Drives: 1999 Z3 Mcoupe | 2008 M3/4
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lutz, FL

iTrader: (1)

I just signed up for a multi-event with Lockton. I was hesitant to get insurance per event when often I just go for the day (you pay for three days). The discount you receive with the multi-event makes it all good.

Ironically, the cost of the policy is almost what I paid for street coverage of my old track car.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 05:12 PM   #53
Longboarder
Brigadier General
66
Rep
3,811
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Monarch Beach

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 997.2 Turbo S  [4.71]
2013 e92 M3  [4.55]
2013 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4u3 View Post
I purchase my ins through Jacob Katz insurance, out of New York City. www.katzinsurance.com.
I just did as well. $400 for $70K in coverage with a 10% deductible.
__________________
Daily: 2013 e92 M3 DCT / ESS VT2 650 S/C / Akrapovic Evolution / StopTech BBK
Track/Airstrip: 2011 997.2 Turbo S PDK / 725 HP / BBi suspension build
Beater: 2013 X5 3.5sport
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 12:20 PM   #54
Kurt_OH
Captain
Kurt_OH's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
701
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Columbus, OH

iTrader: (0)

Fortunately I can make no informed comments regarding whether there'd be any struggles to get the promised coverage, but my insurer - Nationwide - provides written assurance that my standard auto policy covers me during HPDE events.

FYI
YMMV
__________________
... a glorious V8 that screamed and hollered as the revs rose and then howled in an orgy of what sounded like BDSM ecstasy as it neared the red line.
Well, you can forget all that. The new car is fitted with a turbocharged straight six. Turbocharging? In an M car? Thatís like putting gravy on an ice cream.
- Jeremy Clarkson, discussing the S65 and then S55 M3 engines.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #55
flanast
Private First Class
flanast's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
157
Posts

 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
I just signed up for a multi-event with Lockton. I was hesitant to get insurance per event when often I just go for the day (you pay for three days). The discount you receive with the multi-event makes it all good.

Ironically, the cost of the policy is almost what I paid for street coverage of my old track car.
I just signed up with Lockton for coverage at VIR next weekend. Found out that they no longer give a 15% discount for VIR events and on top of that now have a minimum insurance coverage amount no matter what your car is worth. So for the same car ($15,000 coverage) and same track (VIR), I am paying $43 more compared to last year.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #56
KEYON
Brigadier General
KEYON's Avatar
United_States
67
Rep
3,416
Posts

 
Drives: '14 RS5
Join Date: May 2008
Location: LA x SD

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.83]
Does anyone know if Track Day insurance insures you and the other guy, if something were to happen with another car.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 02:30 PM   #57
WarrantyTracker
Track? What Track? I was just riding along . . .
United_States
8
Rep
571
Posts

 
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: An Undisclosed Location

iTrader: (0)

Lockton's website says they provide no liability coverage. So I think if it's your "fault" and the other guy pursues you for the $$$ damages to his/her car, Lockton won't help you with that.

I have NO idea what liability laws have to say about track accidents. You'll sign a waiver that purports to get the track and the event sponsor off the hook, but I don't know what driver-driver civil litigation would be like.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 02:44 PM   #58
Porschefile
Major
Porschefile's Avatar
16
Rep
1,233
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Tennessee

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBasham View Post
Lockton's website says they provide no liability coverage. So I think if it's your "fault" and the other guy pursues you for the $$$ damages to his/her car, Lockton won't help you with that.

I have NO idea what liability laws have to say about track accidents. You'll sign a waiver that purports to get the track and the event sponsor off the hook, but I don't know what driver-driver civil litigation would be like.
I think you're right about the insurance. Regarding liability, there is only so much a waiver can do. It is a dick move to sue other drivers, because we all go out there knowing that a small mistake at speed could cause tragedy. That being said, various state courts have held that the waivers are ineffective as to willful/wanton/grossly negligent conduct etc., and damages have been awarded in civil litigation for HPDE drivers.

I bought insurance for one day total, and net is (~$400) in the hole. Oh well.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 10:17 AM   #59
gottagofast13
New Member
0
Rep
20
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3 6MT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Kansas City

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefile View Post
I think you're right about the insurance. Regarding liability, there is only so much a waiver can do. It is a dick move to sue other drivers, because we all go out there knowing that a small mistake at speed could cause tragedy. That being said, various state courts have held that the waivers are ineffective as to willful/wanton/grossly negligent conduct etc., and damages have been awarded in civil litigation for HPDE drivers.

I bought insurance for one day total, and net is (~$400) in the hole. Oh well.
Just joined the forum after purchasing an E90 M3 and spotted this thread. My name is Ryan Staub, and I manage our motorsports team at Lockton. We started offering our HPDE Insurance Program in 2008...a couple years after (unfortunately) I totaled my E36 M3 that I had done 100+ HPDE days in. I built this program because this hobby is my passion in life - I've been doing DEs for 11 years, I'm the Chief Instructor for the Kansas City Chapter of BMW CCA, and I've club raced with SCCA and BMW CCA for years. If you ever have questions, suggestions, or need help, feel free to contact me. I'm happy to help, even if you're not doing business with my company.

"Porschefile" is spot on with his comment. Over the years I've seen a few situations where waivers didn't hold up and individuals took on liability for claims related to motorsport incidents. We're working on developing a policy to provide liability coverage for individuals, but I don't have a timeline at this point.

The other liability item most people don't think about is damage to the track. When you sign waivers, everyone is waiving their rights against everyone except the track doesn't waive their rights against you. Barber is notorious for billing drivers for damage to their barriers and I've even heard of bills for sod/landscaping. I'll be club racing with BMW CCA at COTA next month and they've made it abundantly clear that drivers are responsible for any damage they do to the track.

Have fun out there and keep the shiny side up!
__________________
E90 M3 6MT
Jerez/Black
aFE intake, ACM exhaust, evolve tune, and some cosmetic stuff
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 05:46 PM   #60
Transfer
Lieutenant Colonel
Transfer's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
1,689
Posts

 
Drives: SQ5, X1
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

^^Awesome! Thanks for chiming in. If an accident happens and a claim is filed, is there any difference in procedure compared to conventional street insurance claims?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 09:59 AM   #61
gottagofast13
New Member
0
Rep
20
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3 6MT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Kansas City

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
^^Awesome! Thanks for chiming in. If an accident happens and a claim is filed, is there any difference in procedure compared to conventional street insurance claims?
We (Lockton) average about 2 weeks for a total loss - significantly faster than most street policies. The big difference is that we don't require you to use an "approved" body shop that we select...you choose where the car is fixed.

The other big difference is that since this is a specialty policy, the accident isn't reported the same as street accidents...so it doesn't go on your record and cause an increase in your street insurance premiums for years.
__________________
E90 M3 6MT
Jerez/Black
aFE intake, ACM exhaust, evolve tune, and some cosmetic stuff
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #62
davesaddiction
is fast cars
davesaddiction's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
1,600
Posts

 
Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT SSII BPM Stg II
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tulsa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottagofast13 View Post
We (Lockton) average about 2 weeks for a total loss - significantly faster than most street policies. The big difference is that we don't require you to use an "approved" body shop that we select...you choose where the car is fixed.

The other big difference is that since this is a specialty policy, the accident isn't reported the same as street accidents...so it doesn't go on your record and cause an increase in your street insurance premiums for years.
Thanks again for sharing the information. I did my first track day in my M3 a couple weeks ago with a local Caffeine and Gasoline group - it was such a small group (< 5 on track at a time) I didn't pick up any insurance, but I'm planning to for this weekend at Motorsport Ranch (w The Driver's Edge).

Maybe I'll see you on the track someday!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #63
WarrantyTracker
Track? What Track? I was just riding along . . .
United_States
8
Rep
571
Posts

 
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: An Undisclosed Location

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottagofast13 View Post
Just joined the forum after purchasing an E90 M3 and spotted this thread. My name is Ryan Staub, and I manage our motorsports team at Lockton. We started offering our HPDE Insurance Program in 2008...a couple years after (unfortunately) I totaled my E36 M3 that I had done 100+ HPDE days in. I built this program because this hobby is my passion in life - I've been doing DEs for 11 years, I'm the Chief Instructor for the Kansas City Chapter of BMW CCA, and I've club raced with SCCA and BMW CCA for years. If you ever have questions, suggestions, or need help, feel free to contact me. I'm happy to help, even if you're not doing business with my company.

"Porschefile" is spot on with his comment. Over the years I've seen a few situations where waivers didn't hold up and individuals took on liability for claims related to motorsport incidents. We're working on developing a policy to provide liability coverage for individuals, but I don't have a timeline at this point.

The other liability item most people don't think about is damage to the track. When you sign waivers, everyone is waiving their rights against everyone except the track doesn't waive their rights against you. Barber is notorious for billing drivers for damage to their barriers and I've even heard of bills for sod/landscaping. I'll be club racing with BMW CCA at COTA next month and they've made it abundantly clear that drivers are responsible for any damage they do to the track.

Have fun out there and keep the shiny side up!
Thanks for self-identifying! Sorry to hear about the E36. Check out the demise of this E36 in the instructor group at a recent HDPE in Virginia:



A sad morning. You always hate to see something like that.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #64
gottagofast13
New Member
0
Rep
20
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3 6MT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Kansas City

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesaddiction View Post
Thanks again for sharing the information. I did my first track day in my M3 a couple weeks ago with a local Caffeine and Gasoline group - it was such a small group (< 5 on track at a time) I didn't pick up any insurance, but I'm planning to for this weekend at Motorsport Ranch (w The Driver's Edge).

Maybe I'll see you on the track someday!
The Driver's Edge is a great group! I'll be down in TX this weekend but at a different track - COTA. I'm instructing all weekend, racing in a friend's E30/S54 in the fun race on Friday and co-driving in the enduro on Sunday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrantyTracker View Post
Thanks for self-identifying! Sorry to hear about the E36. Check out the demise of this E36 in the instructor group at a recent HDPE in Virginia:



A sad morning. You always hate to see something like that.
If you exchange dakar for arctic silver in that picture, it looks almost identical to what my E36 looked like after it was totaled. Whether you have insurance or not, it's really painful to lose your track car.
__________________
E90 M3 6MT
Jerez/Black
aFE intake, ACM exhaust, evolve tune, and some cosmetic stuff
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 03:33 PM   #65
davesaddiction
is fast cars
davesaddiction's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
1,600
Posts

 
Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT SSII BPM Stg II
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tulsa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottagofast13 View Post
The Driver's Edge is a great group! I'll be down in TX this weekend but at a different track - COTA. I'm instructing all weekend, racing in a friend's E30/S54 in the fun race on Friday and co-driving in the enduro on Sunday.
Can't wait to get to COTA one day (with my car) - I was there with two of my brothers for the F1 Grand Prix last year. What an amazing experience! It's great to continue hearing good things about Driver's Edge.

Have a great weekend. E30 + S54 =

Just now bought my coverage from Lockton. Additional benefit to buying used - only cost me $240, taxes and fees included. Definitely worth it for peace of mind, if nothing else.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 06:53 AM   #66
BKarktic3
Private First Class
1
Rep
166
Posts

 
Drives: e92 M3 DCT Space Gray/Fox Red
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Alpharetta, GA

iTrader: (2)

Been running with Lockton policies for a few years now... find that I'm a much more relaxed/better driver when I don't have to worry about a 50k mistake. Even with 60+ track days and countiing. Looking at picking up a multil event policy this year.

only cost me 125/weekend for my e46M3, and about 325/weekend for my e92M3. Worth every cent in my opinion after watching owners with liens on their cars get flat-bedded to the paddocks where they watch their cars get dropped on their chassis!
__________________
-Bryan

e92 M3 Coupe DCT
Space Gray/Fox Red, HRE P43S,RD Sport,B&B, Arkym
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:57 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST