BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-02-2012, 12:00 PM   #23
Z K
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Z K's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 1,882
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuttGrunt View Post
There is not a "big" difference, but there is a difference. Not all over the counter waxes are meant to be cleaner waxes which can either be loaded with chemical cleaners, abrasives, or both. Many over the counter waxes do contain traces of these to help their "performance" (they're formulated to what 99% of car owners need) in giving you a better look from your paint.

Professional/enthusiast grade waxes generally do not contain such things, as they're made to only protect and add gloss (these are made for the >1% of car owners). If you're the type of person that clays and carefully washes your car (and potentially polishes your paint), you can benefit from these higher grade products as they'll typically last longer.

In the end, you're always better off using products in a way that you apply an additional layer of protection prior to the last layer wearing off. In this way, using Mother's Gold 'nuba wax every month is better than using any professional grade wax every three months. While over the counter waxes don't tend to layer as well (slight abrasives can remove previous layers during application), pro-grade waxes don't truly layer either (the fresh application of solvents can weaken the wax underneath). Layering wax is about having uniform protection, not more protection.
I understand what you are saying. I do detailing as a side job now and then and have seen people use OTC cleaner waxes on their cars every week. The end result is always pretty bad. The paint is dull with a lot of swirls and holograms which they think the wax takes out. And of course the cleaner wax never really tackles swirls and scratches.

I always only use LSPs that have no cleaning properties and do polishing separately. I just wanted to point out that there is a difference between a pure wax vs a cleaner wax.
Z K is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2012, 12:19 PM   #24
MuttGrunt
Banned
 
Drives: beater;)
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: SE Michigan

Posts: 872
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
I understand what you are saying. I do detailing as a side job now and then and have seen people use OTC cleaner waxes on their cars every week. The end result is always pretty bad. The paint is dull with a lot of swirls and holograms which they think the wax takes out. And of course the cleaner wax never really tackles swirls and scratches.

I always only use LSPs that have no cleaning properties and do polishing separately. I just wanted to point out that there is a difference between a pure wax vs a cleaner wax.
You're absolutely right, and I don't know whether to laugh or cry when you get "one of those" calls in which an owner says:

"yea, the paint just looks kind of dull and needs a nice coat of wax I think."


Sure buddy... just needs a nice coat of wax..
MuttGrunt is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2012, 12:56 PM   #25
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Templar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NC

Posts: 1,810
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuttGrunt View Post
Right... because there's such a big difference in cheaper waxes and expensive waxes....

The most important thing is to find something you like, and use it often. Cheaper wax used every month or two>expensive wax used every 3 months.


I think I'd know


OP: Kudos for taking good care of your baby and keep it up so she continues to look like-new.
I was just being sarcastic. I agree with you in saying find what you like and use it.

I have and I have no issues... But just because a wax costs $1000 doesn't make it something you MUST use. And saying "you MUST use something that costs $xxx because your car is a $70k car" is just silly. It's not a Ferrari or Lambo, it's a BMW, and not that costly of a BMW either.
__________________
'11 BMW E92 ///M3 - ZCP and DCT
'13 Toyota Tundra - 4x4 Platinum CrewMax, 5.7l iForce V8
Templar is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #26
Z K
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Z K's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 1,882
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuttGrunt View Post
You're absolutely right, and I don't know whether to laugh or cry when you get "one of those" calls in which an owner says:

"yea, the paint just looks kind of dull and needs a nice coat of wax I think."


Sure buddy... just needs a nice coat of wax..
Yeah.. just keep on applying that cleaner wax... it'll make things better.. Sure.
Z K is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2012, 01:45 PM   #27
MuttGrunt
Banned
 
Drives: beater;)
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: SE Michigan

Posts: 872
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
I was just being sarcastic. I agree with you in saying find what you like and use it.

I have and I have no issues... But just because a wax costs $1000 doesn't make it something you MUST use. And saying "you MUST use something that costs $xxx because your car is a $70k car" is just silly. It's not a Ferrari or Lambo, it's a BMW, and not that costly of a BMW either.
I wish I had your money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Yeah.. just keep on applying that cleaner wax... it'll make things better.. Sure.
MuttGrunt is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #28
tibra1
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

Posts: 6,777
iTrader: (4)

What does cost of the car have to do with trying to get your paint to look its best?

So by this logic if the car is under a certain value then you should use shit products or not care?..thats dicked up
tibra1 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #29
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Templar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NC

Posts: 1,810
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
What does cost of the car have to do with trying to get your paint to look its best?

So by this logic if the car is under a certain value then you should use shit products or not care?..thats dicked up
I don't have a lot of money, Mutt, but still... It's a car that's meant to be driven, not sit in your garage...

And tibra, you're using the opposite logic by applying the most expensive products for no real reason. Unless you never drive the car, of course. Then by all means, keep it looking showroom ready. I actually drive my car though.

A lot of it is in the methods, and not the cost of the products. If you don't know what you're doing, no matter how much money you spend on the most expensive wax, your car will still look like shit.

Sorry, but I don't piss away money when I don't need to. I've managed just fine working on my car with some Meguiar's products and some Jetseal or P21S. I'm not spending $1000 on Swisswax for a car that I will drive the next day and get bug splatter on the hood and bumper. My car isn't a garage queen.

Aren't you the guy that replaces a whole wheel if it gets a small nick on it from a rock or something?
__________________
'11 BMW E92 ///M3 - ZCP and DCT
'13 Toyota Tundra - 4x4 Platinum CrewMax, 5.7l iForce V8
Templar is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2012, 02:23 PM   #30
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Martin_D's Avatar
 
Drives: Ford Super Duty
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC

Posts: 1,792
iTrader: (34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
I don't have a lot of money, Mutt, but still... It's a car that's meant to be driven, not sit in your garage...

And tibra, you're using the opposite logic by applying the most expensive products for no real reason. Unless you never drive the car, of course. Then by all means, keep it looking showroom ready. I actually drive my car though.

A lot of it is in the methods, and not the cost of the products. If you don't know what you're doing, no matter how much money you spend on the most expensive wax, your car will still look like shit.

Sorry, but I don't piss away money when I don't need to. I've managed just fine working on my car with some Meguiar's products and some Jetseal or P21S. I'm not spending $1000 on Swisswax for a car that I will drive the next day and get bug splatter on the hood and bumper. My car isn't a garage queen.

Aren't you the guy that replaces a whole wheel if it gets a small nick on it from a rock or something?
Come on up and try anything you'd like
Martin_D is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2012, 02:24 PM   #31
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Templar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NC

Posts: 1,810
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_D View Post
Come on up and try anything you'd like
I will! I was up there briefly this weekend, but went out to see the girl's parents and the weather was kinda nasty anyway

By the way, Tripple is amazing. I used it, and I love it!
__________________
'11 BMW E92 ///M3 - ZCP and DCT
'13 Toyota Tundra - 4x4 Platinum CrewMax, 5.7l iForce V8
Templar is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2012, 02:24 PM   #32
tibra1
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

Posts: 6,777
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
I don't have a lot of money, Mutt, but still... It's a car that's meant to be driven, not sit in your garage...

And tibra, you're using the opposite logic by applying the most expensive products for no real reason. Unless you never drive the car, of course. Then by all means, keep it looking showroom ready. I actually drive my car though.

A lot of it is in the methods, and not the cost of the products. If you don't know what you're doing, no matter how much money you spend on the most expensive wax, your car will still look like shit.

Sorry, but I don't piss away money when I don't need to. I've managed just fine working on my car with some Meguiar's products and some Jetseal or P21S. I'm not spending $1000 on Swisswax for a car that I will drive the next day and get bug splatter on the hood and bumper. My car isn't a garage queen.

Aren't you the guy that replaces a whole wheel if it gets a small nick on it from a rock or something?
Actually re-finish them and only if badly scratched (not simple rock chips)...but thats besides the point..

Car value should not be part of this discussion..people who love their cars and want to keep their paint in the best condition it can be should not be chastised b/c its not a Ferrari
tibra1 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2012, 02:27 PM   #33
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Templar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NC

Posts: 1,810
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
Actually re-finish them...but thats besides the point..

Car value should not be part of this discussion..people who love their cars and want to keep their paint the best it can be should not chastised b/c its not a Ferrari
Calm down, I didn't chastize anyone. It's not cost efficient if you actually drive your car.

I know you have at least SOME common sense. Try to apply it and stop trolling for just one second.

Should the OP be chastized for using something that apparently did a pretty good job just because it's cheap?
__________________
'11 BMW E92 ///M3 - ZCP and DCT
'13 Toyota Tundra - 4x4 Platinum CrewMax, 5.7l iForce V8
Templar is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #34
tibra1
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

Posts: 6,777
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Calm down, I didn't chastize anyone. It's not cost efficient if you actually drive your car.

I know you have at least SOME common sense. Try to apply it and stop trolling for just one second.
LOL.its not cost efficient to use the best care products that you can afford???..so If I go through 3 bottles of Mothers liquid wax as opposed to one canister of a good paste wax in the same time frame..Where is the cost savings?..not to mention all the wasted effort..

If you use a good product you will get a better result that lasts longer..simple as that..Sounds like a common sense position to me.//

Your argument that the wax to use should based on the value of the car is laughable
tibra1 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2012, 02:36 PM   #35
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Templar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NC

Posts: 1,810
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
LOL.its not cost efficient to use the best care products that you can afford???..so If I go through 3 bottles of Mothers liquid wax as opposed to one canister of a good paste wax in the same time frame..Where is the cost savings?..not to mention all the wasted effort..

If you use a good product you will get a better result that lasts longer..simple as that..Sounds like a common sense position to me.//

Your argument that the wax to use should based on the value of the car is laughable
Exactly where did I say that as my argument? I made one statement, because someone decided to bash the OP for using a product that apparently did a good job, and it doesn't break the bank either. You mad?

You're fine with it because your car sits in the garage. Like I said, I drive my car. All the fanbois will come out to defend all the money they piss away It's OK though, because I'll be out driving my car after work today because the sun is shining. I'm sure your car looks good too, at home, in the garage, where no one can see all the money you put into it
__________________
'11 BMW E92 ///M3 - ZCP and DCT
'13 Toyota Tundra - 4x4 Platinum CrewMax, 5.7l iForce V8
Templar is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #36
tibra1
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

Posts: 6,777
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Exactly where did I say that as my argument? I made one statement, because someone decided to bash the OP for using a product that apparently did a good job, and it doesn't break the bank either.

You're fine with it because your car sits in the garage. Like I said, I drive my car. All the fanbois will come out to defend all the money they piss away It's OK though, because I'll be out driving my car after work today because the sun is shining. I'm sure your car looks good too, at home, in the garage, where no one can see it
You seem to act like you know me or where I drive my car..do I know you?

go back and read your post..says it all..using a good wax should not be reserved for Ferraris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
lol, like it's a ferrari or something...
tibra1 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #37
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Templar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NC

Posts: 1,810
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
You seem to act like you know me or where I drive my car..do I know you?

go back and read your post..says it all..using a good wax should not be reserved for Ferraris
My post doesn't say anything except the OP doesn't deserve to be bashed for working on his own car and finding a product that did a good job for a lower price. Read into that however you want... you're just making assumptions

Anyway, whatever!

I'm off work early, so time to cruise home with the windows down! I just detailed mine over the last few days (sadly I didn't use $1000 wax ), but she looks fantastic!

__________________
'11 BMW E92 ///M3 - ZCP and DCT
'13 Toyota Tundra - 4x4 Platinum CrewMax, 5.7l iForce V8
Templar is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #38
MuttGrunt
Banned
 
Drives: beater;)
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: SE Michigan

Posts: 872
iTrader: (0)

Am I missing something? I thought the idea of detailing was to have a show-room caliber car AND drive it. Paint doesn't gain defects from sitting in storage after all.

My personal baby isn't driven in the nasty Michigan winters and was in storage for 19 months while I was deployed, but I've still put 90k miles (purchased in '05) on her and she looks better than the day I got her. Sure she has some minor chips, but the car's exterior condition as a whole is better than when I got her with 4,5xx miles on her.

I use quality products and appropriate techniques to keep her looking her best WHILE she's being driven, not so she can sit.


If we as enthusiasts begin calling out fellow enthusiasts because of money they did or did not spend on a car they don't need in the first place (there's no need for a BMW for transportation purposes), then what type of community are we encouraging? Shouldn't the real discussion be whether our next rides should be Chevy Aveos or Dodge Neons?

I think it's different when people buy knock-off wheels and wonder why they break or get hack detailers to work on their cars and can't figure out why their car now looks like poop, but in this case the OP waxed his car, posted some pics of his handy work, and now we're talking about if the car brand is deserving of quality products or not based on value and how often the vehicle is driven?
MuttGrunt is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #39
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Templar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NC

Posts: 1,810
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuttGrunt View Post
I think it's different when people buy knock-off wheels and wonder why they break or get hack detailers to work on their cars and can't figure out why their car now looks like poop, but in this case the OP waxed his car, posted some pics of his handy work, and now we're talking about if the car brand is deserving of quality products or not based on value and how often the vehicle is driven?
This sums up what I was getting at, but you put it better than I could. The OP is happy with what he did with the product he used, and to me that's all that really matters.
__________________
'11 BMW E92 ///M3 - ZCP and DCT
'13 Toyota Tundra - 4x4 Platinum CrewMax, 5.7l iForce V8
Templar is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #40
LarThaL
Colonel
 
LarThaL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West Springfield, MA

Posts: 2,374
iTrader: (0)

All this stuff you guys are talking about is all crap.

Now this is the real deal.....

http://www.gizmag.com/worlds-most-ex...car-wax/16320/
__________________
Precision tool: 2011 BMW ///M3
Sledgehammer: 2014 Audi S6

LarThaL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:16 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST