BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

BPM Sport

03-28-2012, 03:36 PM   #1
Gamoto
Private First Class

Drives: 08 E93 M3 6MT/13 335ix/ 13 X3/

Obama's Stimulus Monument For Sale

Now is your chance to own a national monument: the Solyndra factory, built to honor the wildly successful stimulus bill of 2009 and celebrate the great economic achievements of our government under President Barack Obama...

It would be a great location for the Barack Hussein Obama Presidential Library
Hell we already paid for it.
Attached Images

03-29-2012, 02:13 PM   #2
bolinp78
G35 convertee

Drives: 2008 335i (AW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamoto View Post
Now is your chance to own a national monument: the Solyndra factory, built to honor the wildly successful stimulus bill of 2009 and celebrate the great economic achievements of our government under President Barack Obama...

It would be a great location for the Barack Hussein Obama Presidential Library
Hell we already paid for it.
Solar power. hahahaha. I'm in the energy industry, and people really are naive as all hell.
      03-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #3
Gamoto
Private First Class

Drives: 08 E93 M3 6MT/13 335ix/ 13 X3/

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolinp78 View Post
Solar power. hahahaha. I'm in the energy industry, and people really are naive as all hell.
The main stream media blindly supports all this alternative energy crap the silly Lib's lap it up, and the naive general public thinks its a viable solution. Friggin clueless.
      03-29-2012, 09:39 PM   #4
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
Quote:
The main stream media blindly supports all this alternative energy crap the silly Lib's lap it up, and the naive general public thinks its a viable solution. Friggin clueless.
Exactly how is it not a viable solution? Can you expand on your thoughts, please.
      03-29-2012, 11:44 PM   #5
bolinp78
G35 convertee

Drives: 2008 335i (AW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbook
Quote:
Exactly how is it not a viable solution? Can you expand on your thoughts, please.
It's not a viable solution the way Obama wants it to be. We all know that we are going to have to eventually move to alternative energy; it's inevitable. Obama wants it all to happen overnight because frankly he's clueless on the matter. He leaves natural gas out of the conversation when it's convenient, and when he realizes that his over the top unrealistic alt energy initiatives are completely off base and the election draws nearer it suddenly finds its way into his vocabulary.
      03-30-2012, 12:30 AM   #6
Cloud9blue
Major

Drives: around the potholes

Quote:
So what do you mean specifically by "I'm in the energy industry"? Care to elaborate?

Isn't exactly the administration's fault. If you had ever deal with any of the investors in alternative energy, you can see that many are simply betting on fast returns that just aren't going to happen.

In all, there is a fundamental issue with the market's approach and using the wrong business model for the wrong industry.
07 BMW R1200S: Shine Yellow / Akrapovic Slip-on / Ohlins
Cloud9blue is offline   United_States
      03-30-2012, 03:58 PM   #7
ScotchAndCigar
Banned

Drives: 2011 128i space gray vert

Quote:
Of course, everyone - other than those who think like you do - are naive sheep. So tell me, how is 1972?
Quote:
It's not a viable solution the way Obama wants it to be. We all know that we are going to have to eventually move to alternative energy; it's inevitable. Obama wants it all to happen overnight because frankly he's clueless on the matter. He leaves natural gas out of the conversation when it's convenient, and when he realizes that his over the top unrealistic alt energy initiatives are completely off base and the election draws nearer it suddenly finds its way into his vocabulary.
We knew we had to move to alternative energy in 1973, you're a little late to the party, especially for someone in the "energy field" (ooooooh aaaaaaaah). And there is absolutely no substance to your claims about Obama, he's pursuing the same trajectory as all the other non-dopey presidents have. It's just that after George W "keep driving your SUVs or the terrorists have won" Bush, you may not be accustomed to a president with an actual energy policy.
ScotchAndCigar is offline   United_States
      03-31-2012, 12:47 PM   #8
128vertinnoho
Private First Class

Drives: 2012 128iC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotchAndCigar View Post
Of course, everyone - other than those who think like you do - are naive sheep. So tell me, how is 1972?
We knew we had to move to alternative energy in 1973, you're a little late to the party, especially for someone in the "energy field" (ooooooh aaaaaaaah). And there is absolutely no substance to your claims about Obama, he's pursuing the same trajectory as all the other non-dopey presidents have. It's just that after George W "keep driving your SUVs or the terrorists have won" Bush, you may not be accustomed to a president with an actual energy policy.
+1
128vertinnoho is offline   United_States
      03-31-2012, 02:23 PM   #9
OldArmy
Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si

Thwart development of any classic, proven energy markets. Lie about supporting drilling and pipelines, claim federal credit for free market energy development. Oversee a doubling of gas prices (which the eco freaks actually support but are too cowardly to say), throw tax money at dubious, impossible to amortize energy markets. Yeah, he's got an energy policy all right. What a guy--that president of ours!
OldArmy is offline   United_States
      03-31-2012, 03:24 PM   #10
ScotchAndCigar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldArmy View Post
Thwart development of any classic, proven energy markets. Lie about supporting drilling and pipelines, claim federal credit for free market energy development. Oversee a doubling of gas prices (which the eco freaks actually support but are too cowardly to say), throw tax money at dubious, impossible to amortize energy markets. Yeah, he's got an energy policy all right. What a guy--that president of ours!
What's it like living in a cave? US oil production's up 15% since Obama took office, and natural gas production's at a 40-year high; so what's he thwarting???

And gas was $4.27 a gallon under Bush, when Obama was elected in 2008, so just the aura from his presidential victory caused prices to drop to under $2/per gallon! Right? I mean, after all, if you blame him for the doubling of prices now, you have to credit him with halving them in the first place. Or maybe, just maybe, your cause-and-effect accusations are just partisan bullshit... http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...S_story_1.html
      04-01-2012, 12:18 AM   #11
Seminole
Colonel

Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [3.50]
Quote:
What's it like living in a cave? US oil production's up 15% since Obama took office, and natural gas production's at a 40-year high; so what's he thwarting???

And gas was $4.27 a gallon under Bush, when Obama was elected in 2008, so just the aura from his presidential victory caused prices to drop to under $2/per gallon! Right? I mean, after all, if you blame him for the doubling of prices now, you have to credit him with halving them in the first place. Or maybe, just maybe, your cause-and-effect accusations are just partisan bullshit... http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...S_story_1.html
Not sure if you were being serious, but Obama had nothing to do with gas prices falling, the fact the entire world entered into a recession and demand for gas fell like a rock is the reason the prices decreased so much. It just happened the free fall in demand coincided with his election:

As far as gasoline production increasing under him, that also is not due to Obama. In 2005 oil production in the US was devastated by Hurricane Katrina and a lot of the infrastructure had to be completly rebuilt. Then in 08 you had Hurricanes Gustav and Ike which also hit the refineries. Production has been increasing over the last few years due to the old facilities being repaired and new facilities (which were planned for and began to be built before Obama ever took office) coming online. Obama just happened to come into office at the same time production was at low levels due to a damaged refinery network. The other reason production is up is that demand has rebounded so the oil companies are now putting out more oil. You're not going to increase production if there isn't the demand to support it.
      04-01-2012, 05:59 AM   #12
ideliver
Major

Drives: 08 E60 M5 & 08 Infiniti QX56

Garage List
2006 MB S430 SOLD  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
^^Thank you for this analysis...and you managed to get your point across without name calling or ridicule...if only others were so enlightened
Cars I've owned '76 Chevelle 350 RIP '82 Monte Carlo 350 RIP '82 Mustang 302 RIP '88 Honda CRX RIP '88 Olds Toronado sold '94 Toyota Tercel sold '99 Acura TL sold 2002 Porsche 911 sold 2003 E46 M3 Blk/gr 2006 MB S430 sold Current: 2008 Infiniti QX56 & 2008 E60 M5

04-01-2012, 08:26 AM   #13
ScotchAndCigar
Banned

Yes, I was joking, jeez. Of course it's supply and demand. I was making a facetious response to Oldarmy's incorrect fact #478, that the US president controls the world price of oil.
I was also illustrating that prices have been higher in the past.
      04-01-2012, 09:07 AM   #14
OldArmy
Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si

Quote:
Yes, I was joking, jeez. Of course it's supply and demand. I was making a facetious response to Oldarmy's incorrect fact #478, that the US president controls the world price of oil.
RIF, try again.
OldArmy is offline   United_States
      04-01-2012, 10:30 AM   #15
ScotchAndCigar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldArmy View Post
RIF, try again.
. ???

04-01-2012, 12:44 PM   #16
Seminole
Colonel

Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [3.50]
Quote:
They have, but prices have never climbed as steep as they have over the past 2-3 years.

The chart is adjusted for inflation. You can see that in the original climb to $4.28 took from January 2004 to June 2008, or about 4.5 years. Since the price per gallon crashed to around $2 it has only taken about 3 years to come back to near those levels. In addition, seasonal fluctuations haven't been as significant as they historically were, so gas prices are staying high throughout the winters and then continuing to climb even higher during the summers.

Not Obama's fault per se, but more of the fact the world economy has stabilized along with higher demand from China/India. Any policies he might implement in order to bring down the price in the US will take a few years at best to be implemented (building of pipelines, approval of new rigs and drilling, etc) so the effects (if any) are years down the road. Similar to how Bush's policies in 91 to stop that recession didn't have a real effect until after Clinton had entered into office.
      04-01-2012, 01:26 PM   #17
ScotchAndCigar
Banned

Yes, and if you look at the washington post article I referenced in my post above, you'll see it explain that historically, there's no link between US oil production and gas prices. So in addition to providing no relief in the near future, there'd likely be no relief in the farther future from more drilling. Plus there's the fact that we're currently drilling in the most profitable sites (lowest cost and best yield), so any expansion would be towards higher cost, lower yield sites, as well as higher environmental impacts. So the laws of diminishing returns apply. Better to invest in alt energy.
      04-01-2012, 08:12 PM   #18
mspeasl
Sixties Drag Racer

Drives: 2011 Cashmere Silver 528i

Cool Sails or Mirrors

Quote:
Better to invest in alt energy.
And in your opinion just what might that be.....? Are you going to put sails on your 128 or Mirrors....?
1957 - Chevrolet Bel Air 2dr Coupe' Drag Car (2nd Owner since 1964)
1947 - Chevrolet Sport Master Coupe' Street Rod (2nd Owner since 1974)
mspeasl is offline   United_States
      04-01-2012, 09:29 PM   #19
ScotchAndCigar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspeasl View Post
And in your opinion just what might that be.....? Are you going to put sails on your 128 or Mirrors....?
Have you left your house, turned on a TV, or read a newspaper in the last 40 years?

Here's a tip: wikipedia.
      04-01-2012, 10:11 PM   #20
mspeasl
Sixties Drag Racer

Drives: 2011 Cashmere Silver 528i

Quote:
Here's a tip: wikipedia.
Isn't that the "the free encyclopedia that anyone can edit"..?
1957 - Chevrolet Bel Air 2dr Coupe' Drag Car (2nd Owner since 1964)
1947 - Chevrolet Sport Master Coupe' Street Rod (2nd Owner since 1974)
mspeasl is offline   United_States