BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-18-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
tvieso
Runner. Adventurer. Designer.
 
tvieso's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 (MW)
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: US - Providence, RI

Posts: 425
iTrader: (0)

AD08 or PSS??

I'm going with either AD08's or PSS's, 255/35 & 295/30. Will be on KW V3's. Price isn't an issue. DD with very spirited driving. Please let me know your recommendations. Thanks in advance!

-Travis
__________________

2012 E92 M3 | MW | DCT | KW V3 | Edition Cosmetics | 19" MORR VS8.2 - Brushed w/ Tinted Clear | F1 Pinnacle 35%
tvieso is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-18-2012, 12:13 PM   #2
M3SQRD
Colonel
 
M3SQRD's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3s, R56 Cooper S
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

Posts: 2,453
iTrader: (2)

AD08 for all out dry performance. They will have a slightly harsher ride due to stiffer sidewall, compromised wet performance due to maximized contact patch surface area, and fewer miles before needing to be replaced.

PSS for a better "overall" tire. It won't have the same level of dry performance but much better wet performance and a more comfortable ride. Also, you should get more miles out of them before they need to be replaced.

Not too long ago I was comparing these two tires and I ended up going with the PSS. Compared to the OEM PS2 the PSS performs much better in the dry and wet. The sidewall is a little on the soft side compared to extreme performance tires - it doesn't seem to have a huge impact on performance but it definitely does improve ride quality.
M3SQRD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-18-2012, 01:30 PM   #3
tvieso
Runner. Adventurer. Designer.
 
tvieso's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 (MW)
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: US - Providence, RI

Posts: 425
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes View Post
AD08 for all out dry performance. They will have a slightly harsher ride due to stiffer sidewall, compromised wet performance due to maximized contact patch surface area, and fewer miles before needing to be replaced.

PSS for a better "overall" tire. It won't have the same level of dry performance but much better wet performance and a more comfortable ride. Also, you should get more miles out of them before they need to be replaced.

Not too long ago I was comparing these two tires and I ended up going with the PSS. Compared to the OEM PS2 the PSS performs much better in the dry and wet. The sidewall is a little on the soft side compared to extreme performance tires - it doesn't seem to have a huge impact on performance but it definitely does improve ride quality.
Fantastic info! Thank you.
__________________

2012 E92 M3 | MW | DCT | KW V3 | Edition Cosmetics | 19" MORR VS8.2 - Brushed w/ Tinted Clear | F1 Pinnacle 35%
tvieso is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
M3SQRD
Colonel
 
M3SQRD's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3s, R56 Cooper S
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

Posts: 2,453
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvieso View Post
Fantastic info! Thank you.
M3SQRD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-18-2012, 10:21 PM   #5
signes
Brigadier General
 
signes's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Spinnin at 8k

Posts: 4,185
iTrader: (3)

Agree with dbarnes, although the wet performance ding that AD08s get around here is unjustified IMO. I have no complaints about wet weather grip, although have not done wet laps on a track with them. I am even running pretty wide at 275-295. The rest is spot on, fantastic grip but firmer than the Michelins and once worn they can get pretty loud. I will also say after looking to replace my rears, that the price delta between the AD08s v. PSS seems to have shrunk (a lot).
__________________
08 E90 | Jet Black / Black | 6MT
Mods: RAC RG63 w/ Pirelli Corsa 255F/285R | Akrapovic Evo Exhaust | OEM Blacklines
Winter Setup: OEM 18s w/ Nokian Hakkapeliita R 245/40-18
signes is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2012, 04:54 AM   #6
M3SQRD
Colonel
 
M3SQRD's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3s, R56 Cooper S
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

Posts: 2,453
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
Agree with dbarnes, although the wet performance ding that AD08s get around here is unjustified IMO. I have no complaints about wet weather grip, although have not done wet laps on a track with them. I am even running pretty wide at 275-295. The rest is spot on, fantastic grip but firmer than the Michelins and once worn they can get pretty loud. I will also say after looking to replace my rears, that the price delta between the AD08s v. PSS seems to have shrunk (a lot).
As for the wet performance of the AD08s perhaps "compromised" was a poor word choice. I do agree that the AD08 has OK wet performance so a better description would have been reduced wet performance compared to the PSS on the street.
M3SQRD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2012, 06:55 AM   #7
HK8888
Captain
 
HK8888's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Boston, MA

Posts: 938
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3 Coupe  [5.00]
PSS. +1
HK8888 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2012, 07:11 AM   #8
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
 
jonasaurus's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: London

Posts: 3,141
iTrader: (0)

For DD would definitely go with the PSS
__________________
///M3 | E90 LCI | Space Grey | Fox Red with CF Structure | 6MT | 260M | My build
jonasaurus is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2012, 07:16 AM   #9
KennyPowers
Brigadier General
 
Drives: .....
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gulf Coast

Posts: 4,059
iTrader: (13)

I have had PSS and "real" extreme performance summer tires in RE-11 and now RS-3 from Hankook, and I notice the difference with the more aggressive tires.

I always disliked the substantial roll of the car and the tires with stiffer sidewalls go a long way to alleviate that.

If you do spirited driving, i think its worth giving the ad08 a shot.
__________________
PCD 10/10 on 2015 M3 : MW / SB Full Leather / HK audio / Adaptive Suspension / Silver 19s / 6MT / CF Roof
KennyPowers is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #10
OC3
Havin' a blast!
 
OC3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,803
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvieso View Post
I'm going with either AD08's or PSS's, 255/35 & 295/30. Will be on KW V3's. Price isn't an issue. DD with very spirited driving. Please let me know your recommendations. Thanks in advance!

-Travis
Based on this description, PSS.
__________________

BRP CW13 1:58 | CVR CW 2:01 | CVR CCW 2:02 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
2013 E92 M3 Jerez Black DCT ZCP | JRZ RS Pro | Brembo BBK | Endless ME20 | Volk TE37 18x10.5 squared | NT01/TD
OC3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #11
Malek@MRF
Brigadier General
 
Malek@MRF's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Irvine, California

Posts: 3,363
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via AIM to Malek@MRF
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvieso View Post
I'm going with either AD08's or PSS's, 255/35 & 295/30. Will be on KW V3's. Price isn't an issue. DD with very spirited driving. Please let me know your recommendations. Thanks in advance!

-Travis
The Michelin tires would be a better choice for your specified use.

You can also look into the Bridgestone Potenza S0-4 tires as well, as they are a great tire.

Malek
Malek@MRF is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2012, 02:48 PM   #12
chili cheese
Captain
 
chili cheese's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 E92 M3, Santorini Blue
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern CA

Posts: 958
iTrader: (6)

AD08s will get noisy and probably a bit harsher ride.
chili cheese is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2012, 11:30 PM   #13
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
 
radiantm3's Avatar
 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

Posts: 3,799
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
I've done a couple wet track sessions with my AD08's and felt very confident with them. They do just fine in the rain IMO.
__________________
(1:40 @ Laguna Seca, 2:03 @ Thunderhill, 1:52 @ Infineon)
radiantm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #14
tvieso
Runner. Adventurer. Designer.
 
tvieso's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 (MW)
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: US - Providence, RI

Posts: 425
iTrader: (0)

Thanks for all the responses! I'll let you know what I end up going with.
__________________

2012 E92 M3 | MW | DCT | KW V3 | Edition Cosmetics | 19" MORR VS8.2 - Brushed w/ Tinted Clear | F1 Pinnacle 35%
tvieso is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #15
Eric-TAIWAN
Private
 
Eric-TAIWAN's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Taiwan

Posts: 74
iTrader: (0)

I use ad08 and I don't think it's loud at all cuz my catless is much louder
I've track wet once and it hold up pretty good!
Eric-TAIWAN is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:47 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST