BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #177
db71
Private First Class
 
Drives: 10 Audi S5
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: IL

Posts: 99
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV.1 Matt View Post
The official Triangle response.
Lets look at this response.

1. Dated yesterday saying they will move up production to get this produced. The OP said this started Feb 2nd

2. Nowhere does triangle take responsibility in fact they say they are working with your team to resolve issues related to this. Which if it was a heat treating failure they would have said that.

3. I'm sure as with any supplier that if you stock inventory or order a quantity of parts they will get right on the order. Not try to order 1 part.




Along with the the theory the bolts were at an angle which it seems by triangles response that this could be plausible. They could of also been over torqued which would cause the cracking.
db71 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #178
Raptor251
ESS Dreaming
 
Raptor251's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3/Ford Raptor 6.2
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego

Posts: 870
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV.1 Matt View Post
Ummmm no. Feel free to come by the shop anytime...

ADV.1 CALIFORNIA
19200 S REYES AVE
EAST RANCHO DOMINGUEZ, CA 90221

So what kinda of tooling do you have there? Are you trying to say your wheels are CnC'd in the US??
Raptor251 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2012, 01:17 PM   #179
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,104
iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor251 View Post
So what kinda of tooling do you have there? Are you trying to say your wheels are CnC'd in the US??
Well the odd part is the address they gave is MHT's address. Google maps also lists them at that address.
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2012, 01:19 PM   #180
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
 
Singletrack's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 12 AW X5d
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 3,813
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor251 View Post
So what kinda of tooling do you have there? Are you trying to say your wheels are CnC'd in the US??
Dude, you look like an ass. Their wheels are made in the US by MHT at that address...as they have repeatedly stated. Whether they lease machines in whole, or just specific time, is irrelevant.
Singletrack is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #181
ADV.1 Matt
Lieutenant Colonel
 
ADV.1 Matt's Avatar
 
Drives: N/A
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 1,512
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor251 View Post
So what kinda of tooling do you have there? Are you trying to say your wheels are CnC'd in the US??
Well yes, because they are?





Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Well the odd part is the address they gave is MHT's address.
Correct - we have a separate part of the warehouse at MHT's facility dedicated to ADV.1 production/assembly.

http://www.adv1wheels.com/blog/adv-1...ction-facilty/

We posted this up awhile back - it's on our blog - it's not exactly as if we have ever hidden this fact. But production is in Cali. Period. End of story.
ADV.1 Matt is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2012, 01:24 PM   #182
Raptor251
ESS Dreaming
 
Raptor251's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3/Ford Raptor 6.2
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego

Posts: 870
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
Dude, you look like an ass. Their wheels are made in the US by MHT at that address...as they have repeatedly stated. Whether they lease machines in whole, or just specific time, is irrelevant.
My point is they are not making their own wheels they are rebranding others.
And why do I look like an ass? Do you own a set of ADV's you are trying to justify? Hell I would too if I got taken for $7K lol
Raptor251 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #183
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,104
iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV.1 Matt View Post
Well yes, because they are?







Correct - we have a separate part of the warehouse at MHT's facility dedicated to ADV.1 production/assembly.

http://www.adv1wheels.com/blog/adv-1...ction-facilty/

We posted this up awhile back - it's on our blog - it's not exactly as if we have ever hidden this fact. But production is in Cali. Period. End of story.
Well, to be fair, the pics prove powdercoating and assembly of wheels and nothing more.
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #184
Raptor251
ESS Dreaming
 
Raptor251's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3/Ford Raptor 6.2
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego

Posts: 870
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV.1 Matt View Post
Well yes, because they are?







Correct - we have a separate part of the warehouse at MHT's facility dedicated to ADV.1 production/assembly.

http://www.adv1wheels.com/blog/adv-1...ction-facilty/

We posted this up awhile back - it's on our blog - it's not exactly as if we have ever hidden this fact. But production is in Cali. Period. End of story.

Cool, but the wheels are made by MHT through whom you have a contract?
Raptor251 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #185
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
 
Singletrack's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 12 AW X5d
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 3,813
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor251 View Post
My point is they are not making their own wheels they are rebranding others.
And why do I look like an ass? Do you own a set of ADV's you are trying to justify? Hell I would too if I got taken for $7K lol
No they aren't others designs, which is why you look like an ass.

They have designs which they send to a facility capable of making them. They are ADV.1 designs.

No I don't own a set of ADV.1s but I do have a set of Vorsteiner wheels on order for my X5, made by the exact same company - MHT. MHT makes a HUGE percentage of the wheels made in this country and they have a great reputation.

I don't know where people come up with this shit...
Singletrack is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2012, 01:31 PM   #186
Raptor251
ESS Dreaming
 
Raptor251's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3/Ford Raptor 6.2
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego

Posts: 870
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
No they aren't others designs, which is why you look like an ass.

They have designs which they send to a facility capable of making them. They are ADV.1 designs.

No I don't own a set of ADV.1s but I do have a set of Vorsteiner wheels on order for my X5, made by the exact same company - MHT. MHT makes a HUGE percentage of the wheels made in this country and they have a great reputation.

I don't know where people come up with this shit...
What shit? ADV is a shady company that struggles to build a reliable wheel and seems to have a lot of internal problems.
Raptor251 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2012, 01:31 PM   #187
db71
Private First Class
 
Drives: 10 Audi S5
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: IL

Posts: 99
iTrader: (0)

They rent space in MHT's building and the wheels are machined on MHT's machines. They can walk out of there part of the facility at any given moment and see what is being machined.

I think attacking the issue that they do not machine there own wheels is a dead horse. HRE although they machine there own centers does not manufacture the rim halves or make the raw forging. But they carry a large inventory so if there is an issue like this it can be handled quickly.


The issue here is WHY the failure and how it is handled.

Is the failure due to an engineering issue?

Why does it take so long to recieve a replacement part and could this process moved along faster with a order for more than 1 or 2 parts.
db71 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2012, 01:34 PM   #188
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
 
Singletrack's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 12 AW X5d
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 3,813
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor251 View Post
What shit? ADV is a shady company that struggles to build a reliable wheel and seems to have a lot of internal problems.
You said they didn't CNC them in the US and re-branded other wheel designs. Since I've shown that you were full of shit and had no idea what you were talking about, now you will attempt to change the argument. You are totally transparent and out of line.

Moderators should clean up this crap.
Singletrack is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2012, 01:34 PM   #189
Raptor251
ESS Dreaming
 
Raptor251's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3/Ford Raptor 6.2
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego

Posts: 870
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by db71 View Post
They rent space in MHT's building and the wheels are machined on MHT's machines. They can walk out of there part of the facility at any given moment and see what is being machined.

I think attacking the issue that they do not machine there own wheels is a dead horse. HRE although they machine there own centers does not manufacture the rim halves or make the raw forging. But they carry a large inventory so if there is an issue like this it can be handled quickly.


The issue here is WHY the failure and how it is handled.

Is the failure due to an engineering issue?

Why does it take so long to recieve a replacement part and could this process moved along faster with a order for more than 1 or 2 parts.



This is exactly my point, if they were a serious wheels company they could easily address these issues.
Raptor251 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2012, 01:37 PM   #190
Raptor251
ESS Dreaming
 
Raptor251's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3/Ford Raptor 6.2
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego

Posts: 870
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
You said they didn't CNC them in the US and re-branded other wheel designs. Since I've shown that you were full of shit and had no idea what you were talking about, now you will attempt to change the argument. You are totally transparent and out of line.

Moderators should clean up this crap.
Until you can prove me 100% wrong I'm not convinced. And If they truly design their own wheels then well...time for a real engineer??
Raptor251 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2012, 01:40 PM   #191
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
 
Singletrack's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 12 AW X5d
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 3,813
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor251 View Post
Until you can prove me 100% wrong I'm not convinced. And If they truly design their own wheels then well...time for a real engineer??
Please stop, it's getting pathetic.
Singletrack is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #192
Raptor251
ESS Dreaming
 
Raptor251's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3/Ford Raptor 6.2
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego

Posts: 870
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
Please stop, it's getting pathetic.
Well can you prove that 100% of the design was done in house? Do you work for ADV?
Raptor251 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2012, 01:51 PM   #193
ADV.1 Matt
Lieutenant Colonel
 
ADV.1 Matt's Avatar
 
Drives: N/A
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 1,512
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Well, to be fair, the pics prove powdercoating and assembly of wheels and nothing more.
But the link to the blog showing the MHT production floor should?

http://www.adv1wheels.com/blog/adv-1...ction-facilty/

Raptor - Jordan design the entire wheel line - he also has been contracted out to design other brands designs for them as well. We create every design in house. I'm not quite sure how we're re-branding other peoples wheels? Do we contract out machine time from MHT to build our wheels? Yes. So does everyone else?
ADV.1 Matt is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2012, 01:55 PM   #194
ADV.1 Matt
Lieutenant Colonel
 
ADV.1 Matt's Avatar
 
Drives: N/A
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 1,512
iTrader: (0)

I am posting this on behalf of Jordan as he does not have a M3Post username.



Guys, I appreciate everyone's concern in this matter and you all are absolutely correct in saying that this is a major issue that is absolutely unacceptable. My own wife drives around every single day with the same 22" Step Lip rim halves along with my 4 year old and 1 year old baby boys in the back seat. Nothing in the world other than my family matters to and I'm sure that most of you feel exactly the same way. With that being said I was obviously very concerned when I first heard about the issue which was in mid 2011 on order number 1897, 22" ADV08 Track Spec's for a Mercedes ML63 AMG. At that time, the issue had never been seen and obviously we discussed the cause in detail with Mike at Triangle, our engineer, and multiple others to identify the issue and ensure that it's not repeated. At that time, the final verdict from Mike at Triangle was that the issue was due to an issue related to machining / engineering and not the inner barrel. Regardless we obviously checked every last detail on the file and physically checked the center discs themselves to confirm that this was the case which we actually had hoped it was as this is something internal that we can identify and correct ourselves and easily see if any other sets shared the issue. After doing so, we were unable to verify that this was the case as everything was exactly as it should have been. Mike then, replaced the parts for us at no cost, we finished and assembled the set with new hardware as always and advised our dealer of the issue in detail as they explained previously that the vehicle was driven aggressively and could have potentially been the cause in which case moving forward they would be driving under only normal conditions and would report to us if any problems occurred. At the time, no one really knew what the cause was so it was up in the air with possible causes ranging from chrome plating to improper use and several others. Mike did provide us with a detailed statement outlining what was his opinion on the cause which nowaym3 is referring to as he most likely was working at Triangle at the time and was aware of this. Regardless, what he or she is saying is true and was the case at that time.


Moving forward a few months, after keeping tabs on the first issue on the ML63 set and confirming that the issue seemed to have been solved we basically had nothing else to review as there was no final confirmation as to what caused the issue and no identifiable reasons to change anything moving forward as everything was engineered to spec and physically confirmed. I can assure you guys, even though many of you seem to have a preconceived opinion about me which is perfectly ok however this business isn't made for short term success, my own family and the families of nearly 20 of our staff depend on this company and treat it like their own. With this being said, ignoring an issue like this which could potentially cause a huge impact on any company if not resolved it was in not only my own interest to make sure that it's not going to happen again but everyone on ADV.1 staff, Triangle staff and MHT's staff. These are not issues that are ignored and had it been something that potentially could have recurred all parties involved would have stopped production on the affected parts until the issue was resolved. Many of you make comments as if we build all of our wheels with no regard to safety or quality which as you all know if were true we wouldn't be in business right now. Some of those who seem eager to offer their expertise on this matter jump at the opportunity to point out such an issue, although we all appreciate the information it's obvious that pointing this information out is in their best interest. Once again, perfectly fine - nothing we haven't dealt with in the past. I can see how something like this would be amazing news to any of our competitors unfortunately, but not surprisingly.

Had this been the end of the issue, the statements made by nowaym3 may have been valid however this person may not be involved with the more recent activity in this matter which arose in 2012. Order 2169, ordered for a BMW x6M in 22" ADV5.0 Track Spec configuration was reported to have the same issue. Upon learning about this issue personally on Feb 13, 2012 I contacted the client directly to get the details, apologize and get this issue resolved once and for all. I immediately had the wheels picked up and shipped to our facility in CA. I booked a flight the same day and was in the shop to inspect them once they arrived. At that time myself and some of our production related staff took the wheels to Mike ourselves in order to resolve and identify the issue once and for all. Around the same time, this particular order in question (1797) was also reported and was discussed. By that time it was clear that there were no issues with the center discs themselves, no engineering similarities that could have linked the 3 sets to the issue, they were used in different widths and offsets from low to high and on 3 different vehicles so all signs pointed to the one possible factor that they all had in common which was the inner barrel, all of which was the same size (22x7.5 and 22x8 inners) all 3 orders were confirmed to have these inners delivered around the same time frame and Mike himself confirmed that these parts were an older style step lip which was no longer used and also was a possible batch of parts which may have been outsourced to another vendor for the heat treating process which was not the usual protocol for reasons I'm not aware of.


With this all being said, the issues are clearly apparent. They are identified, isolated and resolved. The issue is clearly an unforeseen case of only 12 parts out of literally thousands that have been used not only by ADV.1 but by any 3 piece wheel manufacturer who buys 22" step lip parts. We will continue to support Triangle and work with them on a daily basis not only to improve but also because those who know are well aware that there are no better parts that can be found anywhere in the world and this is why we use them as do other high quality wheel brands.


In regards to Eugene's issues with communication and service from ADV.1, I have no argument here. I completely agree with you and apologize for this and I assure you the issue has not gone unnoticed and the sales rep involved has also expressed his apologies. Regardless, you're right and had I been aware of the issue directly I would have been extremely involved personally as I was and still am on the other 2 cases which both customers can confirm I'm sure. In any case, it doesn't matter at this point - you're not satisfied with your service and there's nothing more to it. All I can do is offer you one of 2 things should you wish to accept, one being a full refund on these wheels which you may choose to keep them if you would like or leave them here, either way is ok or alternatively although I doubt you'd like to have another set of our wheels due to the circumstance, I will offer you a free set of your choice - applicable to any car, any style, any finish, any time.

- Jordan
ADV.1 Matt is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #195
Raptor251
ESS Dreaming
 
Raptor251's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3/Ford Raptor 6.2
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego

Posts: 870
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV.1 Matt View Post
But the link to the blog showing the MHT production floor should?

http://www.adv1wheels.com/blog/adv-1...ction-facilty/

Raptor - Jordan design the entire wheel line - he also has been contracted out to design other brands designs for them as well. We create every design in house. I'm not quite sure how we're re-branding other peoples wheels? Do we contract out machine time from MHT to build our wheels? Yes. So does everyone else?
So Jordan is the designer? Is he a P.E. or just draws the pretty pictures? I'm curious to see if your wheels are actually engineered or just "designed?"
Raptor251 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #196
ADV.1 Matt
Lieutenant Colonel
 
ADV.1 Matt's Avatar
 
Drives: N/A
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 1,512
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor251 View Post
So Jordan is the designer? Is he a P.E. or just draws the pretty pictures? I'm curious to see if your wheels are actually engineered or just "designed?"
As our site states...

http://www.adv1wheels.com/adv1wheels/dem/design.php

1. Hand drawn initial concepts
2. Photoshop mock ups
3. 2d cad layout
4. 3d proofing and revision process
5. test sample programming / machining
6. physical design evaluation / revisions
7. independent testing
8. vehicle installation evaluation
9. final production

They are handed off to Tom for vehicle specific engineering on an order by order basis:

http://www.adv1wheels.com/adv1wheels/dem/engineer.php
ADV.1 Matt is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #197
Raptor251
ESS Dreaming
 
Raptor251's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3/Ford Raptor 6.2
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego

Posts: 870
iTrader: (1)

Tom Van Ryn.
ADV.1 Head Engineer
Tom's interest in cars started with Hot Wheels before he even started school. He moved on to drawing them on every notebook he had during school, usually when he should have been doing some actual schoolwork.

In early 2001 he moved it into 3D, spending days without eating or sleeping, teaching himself this new way to "draw". Wheels became his favorite thing to model, but doing it for a living was just a dream at the time. Fast-forward a bit, over some really forgettable jobs doing some extremely boring things, and he finally has his dream job, designing and engineering, and pushing the boundaries of the wheel industry using the worlds most exotic vehicles as a canvas!

Now, if he could just get a company car...


So this is your engineer? Any schooling? Is he a P.E.? Does he even have an engineering degree? Where does his knowledge of structural integrity come from? He sounds to me more like a designer. Sorry for all the questions i'm just trying to figure out who actually is responsible for the safety and integrity of your wheels.
Raptor251 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2012, 02:12 PM   #198
Donbona
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Donbona's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 M3 DCT 2008
Join Date: May 2009
Location: London UK

Posts: 1,668
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV.1 Matt View Post
All I can do is offer you one of 2 things should you wish to accept, one being a full refund on these wheels which you may choose to keep them if you would like or leave them here, either way is ok or alternatively although I doubt you'd like to have another set of our wheels due to the circumstance, I will offer you a free set of your choice - applicable to any car, any style, any finish, any time.

- Jordan
This is more than a fair offer...
__________________
M3 E93 DCT, Space Grey,BC HB29 Forged Deep Concave Wheels, Ericsson Amuse F/R Bumper, Evolve Full Exhaust System, INTRAX Coilovers, STOPTECH BBK, Performance Steering Wheel,Custom Red/Black Leather Seats,///M3 ||Bimmerpost M3 Car Of The Month May - 2010SOLD
2010 R35 GTR
Donbona is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:17 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST