BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia
 
VIBE Motorsports
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-06-2012, 07:10 AM   #1
DaveDee
When there's no problem more power is the solution
DaveDee's Avatar
Australia
41
Rep
929
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 Edition M-DCT
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gold Coast Australia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via Skype™ to DaveDee
Does your engine ping?

Before doing an ESS tune I often had pinging which has since totally disappeared and economy has improved.

I tried all brands of premium unleaded and often found BP ultimate to give slightly better results than Shell 98 or Caltex 98.

Has anyone found the same problem or have a preferred fuel?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
MFKN3
Colonel
MFKN3's Avatar
Australia
47
Rep
2,070
Posts

Drives: 4.5L supercharged stroker E92
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Australia

iTrader: (2)

I've never paid too much attention. Maybe the tune decreased the timing a bit?

I can't seem to get over 280km on a tank lately, using shell 98
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 11:07 PM   #3
M_GmbH
Private First Class
M_GmbH's Avatar
Australia
2
Rep
132
Posts

Drives: M3 2012 e92 ZCP - Space Grey
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFKN3 View Post
...

I can't seem to get over 280km on a tank lately, using shell 98
Wow that is horrible. I get about 360-400 to a tank and thats in Sydney traffic!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 11:54 PM   #4
MFKN3
Colonel
MFKN3's Avatar
Australia
47
Rep
2,070
Posts

Drives: 4.5L supercharged stroker E92
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Australia

iTrader: (2)

Sure is! I get about 500-550km entirely highway, so it's not the engine.

I think it's bad traffic, hot weather, driving hard & all the bolt ons sure don't help

My 335 used to pull timing when running under high boost on caltex fuel. Never had problems with shell or BP either DaveDee
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 11:43 PM   #5
Damo11
New Member
0
Rep
23
Posts

Drives: Jerez Black E92 M3 6M
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Brisbane

iTrader: (0)

I'm getting around 280-300 max out of a tank of shell 98. I haven't used BP ultimate yet. Maybe I bought too much into the marekting hype that shell put out but that's been my choice until now. Would be interested in hearing if anyone else has better fuel consumption without loss of performance from any other brand.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 12:22 AM   #6
DaveDee
When there's no problem more power is the solution
DaveDee's Avatar
Australia
41
Rep
929
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 Edition M-DCT
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gold Coast Australia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via Skype™ to DaveDee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo11 View Post
I'm getting around 280-300 max out of a tank of shell 98. I haven't used BP ultimate yet. Maybe I bought too much into the marekting hype that shell put out but that's been my choice until now. Would be interested in hearing if anyone else has better fuel consumption without loss of performance from any other brand.
Iv'e run Shell 98, Vortex 98 and BP Ultimate 98. Average fuel economy around the Gold Coast (and we do have a lot of traffic now) is 11.5/100 or close to 480-500 Ks between fills. On a long run it does not really improve.
Before the ESS tune and Akra Evo average was around 13.5 litres per 100 KM.
The BP seems to have a slight edge, but not much.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 03:26 AM   #7
whyw8
Lieutenant
8
Rep
508
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 ZCP Jerez Black DCT
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

wow 11.5 - im around 13.8
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 06:12 AM   #8
sarddenso
Private First Class
1
Rep
114
Posts

Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Hot weather isn't something we have had much of in Sydney these last few months!

I generally pump Caltex. There is not much routine to the way I use my car but usually get a bit over 400kms a tank.

On a trip to Canberra and back nearly did 600km to the tank.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 09:26 AM   #9
BMJOE
Private First Class
BMJOE's Avatar
Australia
2
Rep
196
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFKN3 View Post
Sure is! I get about 500-550km entirely highway, so it's not the engine.

I think it's bad traffic, hot weather, driving hard & all the bolt ons sure don't help

My 335 used to pull timing when running under high boost on caltex fuel. Never had problems with shell or BP either DaveDee
i have been using Vortex 98 98% of the time with my 335, what are issues with pulling timing?

cheers

Joe
__________________
E92 335i White Angel Eyes | BMW Black Gloss Grills | CF Mirror Covers
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 02:47 AM   #10
MFKN3
Colonel
MFKN3's Avatar
Australia
47
Rep
2,070
Posts

Drives: 4.5L supercharged stroker E92
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Australia

iTrader: (2)

It wouldn't produce as much power on caltex under 18psi boost. I wouldn't worry though, being in melbourne, it would be different refineries.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 02:52 AM   #11
BMJOE
Private First Class
BMJOE's Avatar
Australia
2
Rep
196
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFKN3 View Post
It wouldn't produce as much power on caltex under 18psi boost. I wouldn't worry though, being in melbourne, it would be different refineries.
cheers mate....

joe
__________________
E92 335i White Angel Eyes | BMW Black Gloss Grills | CF Mirror Covers
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #12
aussiem3
Colonel
aussiem3's Avatar
Australia
77
Rep
2,150
Posts

Drives: Goggomobil
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kangaroo land

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo11 View Post
I'm getting around 280-300 max out of a tank of shell 98. I haven't used BP ultimate yet. Maybe I bought too much into the marekting hype that shell put out but that's been my choice until now. Would be interested in hearing if anyone else has better fuel consumption without loss of performance from any other brand.
I've always pumped BP Ultimate 98 from the time I bought the car until Shell Introduced their V-Power in WA. My consumption has gone up from 14.7l/100 to 15, now that's city only driving. I haven't changed my driving style.

Also I noticed the exhaust note from the /// Performance exhaust is a lot sportier and sounds mean - a true V8 - when using Shell. I don't know whether it's just me.

I don't know how the two compare in terms of quality, performance and economy.
__________________
E92 M3 2007 - ///PE with Test Pipes and BPM Stage II; CF Interior & Splitters; CIC with Connected Drive

Last edited by aussiem3; 03-10-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 08:06 AM   #13
MMMMM3
First Lieutenant
MMMMM3's Avatar
Australia
3
Rep
336
Posts

Drives: 2011 Jerez Black e90 M3 DCT
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDee View Post
Before doing an ESS tune I often had pinging which has since totally disappeared and economy has improved.

I tried all brands of premium unleaded and often found BP ultimate to give slightly better results than Shell 98 or Caltex 98.

Has anyone found the same problem or have a preferred fuel?
Pinging was driving me nuts after I filled up with Vortex98 recently. When it was down to a quarter tank, filled up with BP Ultimate, and the pinging is so much better.

I found the following info on another forum:
"Basically there are two types of 98 Octane fuels on the market, high aromatic and low aromatic. In high aromatic fuels the octane is raised by adding benzene derivatives such as Toluene. Low aromatic fuels are produced by refining the fuel to a higher degree so these types of octane boosters are not required. These fuels contain more aliphatic compounds.

Optimax is a high aromatic fuel and BP ultimate is a low aromatic fuel. These fuels behave very differently during the combustion process. Aromatic compounds take longer to burn and tend not to completely burn during the combustion process. This is why you can see soot on the rear of you car when using high aromatic fuels."

Can someone confirm if this is true?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 10:01 PM   #14
EarthboundMisfit
Private First Class
EarthboundMisfit's Avatar
Australia
1
Rep
131
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Brisbane

iTrader: (0)

Can't say that I've noticed pinging, and have only ever used BP Ultimate in the car. For what it's worth, I've averaged 16.7L/100km over the last 12 months.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 10:28 PM   #15
jmo
Private
Australia
1
Rep
52
Posts

Drives: BMW M3 E90
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

I'm averaging 12.1 DCT 08' E90 stock tune
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 01:16 AM   #16
drjekl
Captain
16
Rep
788
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oz

iTrader: (0)

Hmm FWIW I'm using 12.5L 100 in my 335i which is pushing ~ 270kw atw on V Power in suburban/city driving (it was mid 10's when stock)

Sounds like the M's are slightly thirstier in comparison, but worthwhile with that noise
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 06:27 AM   #17
MMMMM3
First Lieutenant
MMMMM3's Avatar
Australia
3
Rep
336
Posts

Drives: 2011 Jerez Black e90 M3 DCT
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

I'm around 14L/100km. Will be sticking with BP Ultimate from now on, car sounds so much better on it.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 06:40 AM   #18
DaveDee
When there's no problem more power is the solution
DaveDee's Avatar
Australia
41
Rep
929
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 Edition M-DCT
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gold Coast Australia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via Skype™ to DaveDee
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMMM3 View Post
Pinging was driving me nuts after I filled up with Vortex98 recently. When it was down to a quarter tank, filled up with BP Ultimate, and the pinging is so much better.

I found the following info on another forum:
"Basically there are two types of 98 Octane fuels on the market, high aromatic and low aromatic. In high aromatic fuels the octane is raised by adding benzene derivatives such as Toluene. Low aromatic fuels are produced by refining the fuel to a higher degree so these types of octane boosters are not required. These fuels contain more aliphatic compounds.

Optimax is a high aromatic fuel and BP ultimate is a low aromatic fuel. These fuels behave very differently during the combustion process. Aromatic compounds take longer to burn and tend not to completely burn during the combustion process. This is why you can see soot on the rear of you car when using high aromatic fuels."

Can someone confirm if this is true?
This is really interesting, would be good if anyone had some further info, the findings so far seem consistent. Shell seems to be the worst and the car seems not to run as well on it, Caltex is mid way but more attractive due to the supermarket discounting at the moment, but BP seems to run the best, and constantly.
Before supercharging I was getting in the mid 12 litres per 100, since supercharging I'm only up to a consistent 13.2 litres per 100, hasn't changed in 4 months. After changing (for trial purposes) from a Gintani X pipe to a OE xipe witth primary cat delete, fuel economy is the same but there is a substantial power loss. Can't believe what a difference a good X pipe makes (both sound and power)
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 08:11 PM   #19
Goombeh
Private First Class
Goombeh's Avatar
10
Rep
167
Posts

Drives: The littlest M
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Aus

iTrader: (0)

This is interesting, I was enquiring on the same thing for my 1M and was advised that the 1M has a very effective knock sensor, I would have thought the M3's V8 would also.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 11:22 PM   #20
Stilly
BPM stage 1 tune, Reversing camera, Exhaust Mod
Stilly's Avatar
Australia
0
Rep
33
Posts

Drives: 2013 M3 Pure (comp pack)
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Townsville

iTrader: (0)

Any thoughts on E10 in the M3?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 08:47 AM   #21
CON G
Private First Class
CON G's Avatar
Australia
1
Rep
152
Posts

Drives: 2010 E90 M3, 1995 E36 M3
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: PERTH WESTERN AUSTRALIA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I would think for any forced induction engine E85 if you can get it is a must. It means your mechanic can set a greater advance on the timing and result in substantial power gains. On 98 RON my old twin turbo LS2 produced 530rwhp on E85 I was told that 600 would be achievable. Mind you on a stock bottom end that woudnt be that smart. Still if your tracking a forced induction engine E85 would mean less detonation, less heat, less issues.
__________________
2010 Silverstone II E90 M3 Competition Pack M-DCT Sedan
BBS LM-R 19x9.5 ET32 & 19x11 ET25, TMS 12.5mm Front Spacers, Michelin PSS 255/35/19 & 295/30/19, aFe Pro5R Air Filter, ACM Test Pipes, BPM Stage II Performance Software, BPM DCT Software, BPM Feature Coding, LUX H8 Angel Eyes, Matte Black Front Grill. H&R Sport Springs.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 10:56 PM   #22
MMMMM3
First Lieutenant
MMMMM3's Avatar
Australia
3
Rep
336
Posts

Drives: 2011 Jerez Black e90 M3 DCT
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilly View Post
Any thoughts on E10 in the M3?
I'd never do it, but the sticker inside the petrol flap says you can. If you switch from e10 to no ethanol fuel - water can precipitate out of the fuel apparently.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:23 AM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST