BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-03-2012, 11:02 AM   #111
The1
Major General
Canada
56
Rep
5,127
Posts

 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

iTrader: (0)

25% tax..... ouch....
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #112
remmib
General
remmib's Avatar
Norway
352
Rep
26,253
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Norway

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
25% tax..... ouch....
Yes, I read somewere that Luxemburg had the lowest tax in Europe with 15%, and Norway, Sweden and Denmark is "leading" with 25%.
Uk has now 20% and Germany 19%.
__________________

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3D Design Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #113
dcstep
Major General
United_States
65
Rep
5,019
Posts

 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib View Post
Yes, I read somewere that Luxemburg had the lowest tax in Europe with 15%, and Norway, Sweden and Denmark is "leading" with 25%.
Uk has now 20% and Germany 19%.
Yes, and the USA is 35% and we wonder why jobs go overseas. It's not just labor costs...

Dave
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #114
The1
Major General
Canada
56
Rep
5,127
Posts

 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Yes, and the USA is 35% and we wonder why jobs go overseas. It's not just labor costs...

Dave
I assumed he meant 25% sales tax, not all the yearly bull poop.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #115
dcstep
Major General
United_States
65
Rep
5,019
Posts

 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Back OT, after a morning shooting over 1,000 shots with my 7D I realized that I'll likely continue as I am, with a 5D and a 7D, but update both as updates become available. So, I'll buy the 5D MkIII in the summer or fall and the 7D MkII when it comes out.

With the Digic-5 processor and slightly improved sensor, the 7D should be the cat's meow for nature shooting. It doesn't look like there'll be a 1D MkV and the 7D2 is likely to be superior to the MkIV (the 7D already is in certain regards, like pixel-pitch), the huge pixels on the 1D X won't cut it for nature and, although the 5D3 will indeed "cut it", the 7D and 7D2 will be superior in detail resolution and likely quicker.

That will also mean that I'll stay with my 500mm lens a while longer. With FF I would have felt pressured to go to 600mm, but now I can wait do a trial comparison of the Series II 500mm/600mm, once I've got my new bodies in hand, perhaps a year down the road.

Dave
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #116
The1
Major General
Canada
56
Rep
5,127
Posts

 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

iTrader: (0)

thinking with your head and not your heart....
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 12:25 PM   #117
M_Six
Free Thinker
M_Six's Avatar
United_States
125
Rep
5,069
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 MB C300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
The European "Value Added Tax (VAT)" has to be the biggest oxymoron ever.

I've been scanning the For Sale forums on different sites and 5D MkII bodies are everywhere. Lots of 7D bodies as well. I haven't really seen any great bargains, though.
__________________
Mark
Flickr

"I know rocks. Rocks are hard."
-T. Walter
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 12:27 PM   #118
The1
Major General
Canada
56
Rep
5,127
Posts

 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
The European "Value Added Tax (VAT)" has to be the biggest oxymoron ever.

I've been scanning the For Sale forums on different sites and 5D MkII bodies are everywhere. Lots of 7D bodies as well. I haven't really seen any great bargains, though.
give it a couple of weeks and then people will see that it isn't in as much demand as people expect because the market will be saturated with them for sale. And people will start dropping 200 or so dollars off the price just so they can recoup some of the costs rather then try to make as much back as they can.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #119
panicos81
Colonel
panicos81's Avatar
Cyprus
65
Rep
2,317
Posts

 
Drives: a white bmw
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cyprus

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2010 BMW E92  [4.27]
2007 e90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
The European "Value Added Tax (VAT)" has to be the biggest oxymoron ever.

I've been scanning the For Sale forums on different sites and 5D MkII bodies are everywhere. Lots of 7D bodies as well. I haven't really seen any great bargains, though.
the VAT is killing us, here it was 15% and since yesterday it has increased to 17%.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #120
dcstep
Major General
United_States
65
Rep
5,019
Posts

 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by panicos81 View Post
the VAT is killing us, here it was 15% and since yesterday it has increased to 17%.
Yeah, we've got to keep these national consumption taxes out of the USA. They're onerous and non-progressive and discourage economic development.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 07:55 PM   #121
rodi
. . .
51
Rep
2,400
Posts

 
Drives: your FACE!
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta proper

iTrader: (-1)

do you still pay duties or something if you purchase from B&H and import it?
__________________
2009 135i | space grey | sport | navi | hifi | heated
dinan stage 2 software | bmw performance exhaust
kw v2 | hotchkis front sway | vmr v710

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 07:56 PM   #122
The1
Major General
Canada
56
Rep
5,127
Posts

 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
do you still pay duties or something if you purchase from B&H and import it?
maybe they should consider purchasing it, sending it to someone in the states who will then ship it as a gift.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #123
rodi
. . .
51
Rep
2,400
Posts

 
Drives: your FACE!
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta proper

iTrader: (-1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
maybe they should consider purchasing it, sending it to someone in the states who will then ship it as a gift.
send me a $1,000 towards my own, and I'll do that. save ya $800.
__________________
2009 135i | space grey | sport | navi | hifi | heated
dinan stage 2 software | bmw performance exhaust
kw v2 | hotchkis front sway | vmr v710

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 08:01 PM   #124
The1
Major General
Canada
56
Rep
5,127
Posts

 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
send me a $1,000 towards my own, and I'll do that. save ya $800.
haha, I'm good for now

besides, I would probably just drive to the states anyhow I mean for other people overseas and such.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 08:41 PM   #125
rodi
. . .
51
Rep
2,400
Posts

 
Drives: your FACE!
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta proper

iTrader: (-1)

that's like when i helped this poor old lady in Nigeria cash some check from this bank for some royal inheritance and i only had to send her half back and made, like, $14,000,000.
__________________
2009 135i | space grey | sport | navi | hifi | heated
dinan stage 2 software | bmw performance exhaust
kw v2 | hotchkis front sway | vmr v710

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #126
The1
Major General
Canada
56
Rep
5,127
Posts

 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
that's like when i helped this poor old lady in Nigeria cash some check from this bank for some royal inheritance and i only had to send her half back and made, like, $14,000,000.
lol, did it turn out you were related?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 08:46 PM   #127
rodi
. . .
51
Rep
2,400
Posts

 
Drives: your FACE!
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta proper

iTrader: (-1)

didn't we all originate in Africa anyway?
__________________
2009 135i | space grey | sport | navi | hifi | heated
dinan stage 2 software | bmw performance exhaust
kw v2 | hotchkis front sway | vmr v710

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #128
The1
Major General
Canada
56
Rep
5,127
Posts

 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
didn't we all originate in Africa anyway?
so random people tell me... somewhere in Ethiopia I gather.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 01:03 AM   #129
vachss
Captain
15
Rep
791
Posts

 
Drives: Z4 Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ventura County, CA

iTrader: (1)

Getting into this thread a bit late, I for one am a bit underwhelmed with the 5D3. I have a 5D2 and 7D, and generally find my need for fast AF goes along with my need for all the reach I can get - in other words I'll use the 7D. The 5D2 is my go to body when I have a bit more time to set up the shot. 61 point AF really doesn't do jack for me there. About the only real potential attraction is in the additional dynamic range. I do a far bit of nightscape/starscape shooting and the III may really be a big improvement on the 5D2 there. That's a pretty thin argument for a $1500 (at least) upgrade, though.

I know that every time a new body comes out all the old guard try to justify their now obsolete cameras with the "it still takes great pictures, who needs the new toy" mantra. But in this case I don't really see the 5D3 offering me a whole lot I don't already have.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 09:38 AM   #130
dcstep
Major General
United_States
65
Rep
5,019
Posts

 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vachss View Post
Getting into this thread a bit late, I for one am a bit underwhelmed with the 5D3. I have a 5D2 and 7D, and generally find my need for fast AF goes along with my need for all the reach I can get - in other words I'll use the 7D. The 5D2 is my go to body when I have a bit more time to set up the shot. 61 point AF really doesn't do jack for me there. About the only real potential attraction is in the additional dynamic range. I do a far bit of nightscape/starscape shooting and the III may really be a big improvement on the 5D2 there. That's a pretty thin argument for a $1500 (at least) upgrade, though.

I know that every time a new body comes out all the old guard try to justify their now obsolete cameras with the "it still takes great pictures, who needs the new toy" mantra. But in this case I don't really see the 5D3 offering me a whole lot I don't already have.
I too own the 5D2/7D combo. When I go into the woods for wildlife and birds, the 7D has my 500mm lens, but the 5D2 is around my neck with the 70-200mm mounted and the 24-105mm in a vest pocked. Before the announcement, anticipating pixel density similar or finer than the 7D, I was thinking of moving to the 5D3 as a wildlife body. However, apparently Canon is positioning the 5D3 to be a superior video camera, where a coarser pixel pitch makes lots of sense.

Despite that fail, I'll be buying a MkIII in a few months because the high-ISO performance and much better AF function will make it superior as a second camera for wildlife. Now, when I switch off between the 7D and 5D2, the AF slow down and refusal to shoot can be infuriating. Hopefully the MkIII will solve that.

The price rise is annoying, but I'm actually surprised that prices on the old models held low, despite the yen/dollar exchange rate working against the dollar through the whole production period of the MkII and the 7D.

I AM looking forward to the 7D MkII now, with the new Digic-5 processor the high-ISO performance should be much improved, which will pretty well address my only complaint about the 7D as a wildlife shooter.

Dave
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #131
The1
Major General
Canada
56
Rep
5,127
Posts

 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
I too own the 5D2/7D combo. When I go into the woods for wildlife and birds, the 7D has my 500mm lens, but the 5D2 is around my neck with the 70-200mm mounted and the 24-105mm in a vest pocked. Before the announcement, anticipating pixel density similar or finer than the 7D, I was thinking of moving to the 5D3 as a wildlife body. However, apparently Canon is positioning the 5D3 to be a superior video camera, where a coarser pixel pitch makes lots of sense.

Despite that fail, I'll be buying a MkIII in a few months because the high-ISO performance and much better AF function will make it superior as a second camera for wildlife. Now, when I switch off between the 7D and 5D2, the AF slow down and refusal to shoot can be infuriating. Hopefully the MkIII will solve that.

The price rise is annoying, but I'm actually surprised that prices on the old models held low, despite the yen/dollar exchange rate working against the dollar through the whole production period of the MkII and the 7D.

I AM looking forward to the 7D MkII now, with the new Digic-5 processor the high-ISO performance should be much improved, which will pretty well address my only complaint about the 7D as a wildlife shooter.

Dave
Anyone talking about the 7DmkII yet? or are you just dreaming at this point in time? If it's a dream, it's a nice one
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #132
dcstep
Major General
United_States
65
Rep
5,019
Posts

 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
Anyone talking about the 7DmkII yet? or are you just dreaming at this point in time? If it's a dream, it's a nice one
I've only seen one reference in a rumor type blog, but it's only natural that they'll put the Digic-5 processor in and perhaps use the new pixel-lens technology and improve the AF up to the X level, which it's near already.

The pixel-density is higher than the D800 already, so just a little improvement in noise handling and AF tracking would make it a killer action and wildlife body. Since they're dropping the 1D MkIV, it really makes sense that the 7D will carry the torch for us nature guys.

The 5D MkIII/7D MkII will be a really potent combo for a little less than a 1D-X.

Dave

Dave
__________________
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST