BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
Alpine HID
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-25-2012, 11:24 PM   #1
tha_good_life
Brigadier General
 
tha_good_life's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 JzB E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seattle

Posts: 3,900
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.33]
KW V3 Chirping issue....

I've been reading up on some feedback on KW V3 and heard they have issues with chirping/squeak noise when going over bumps. Has anyone experienced this? How do you get rid of it? I just bought some KW and wanted to make sure I won't have this issue before installing it.
tha_good_life is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-26-2012, 03:14 AM   #2
Peter@VMRWheels
Captain
 
Peter@VMRWheels's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 Space Gray E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Irvine, CA

Posts: 662
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Peter@VMRWheels
Mine 'chirps' for a few times each morning but completely goes away relatively quickly. I'm told it is normal but personally it never bothers me. However if yours chirps over each and every bump on the road then I think its something you might want to ask KW about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapesta206 View Post
I've been reading up on some feedback on KW V3 and heard they have issues with chirping/squeak noise when going over bumps. Has anyone experienced this? How do you get rid of it? I just bought some KW and wanted to make sure I won't have this issue before installing it.
__________________
VMR | Wheels
Tel: 714-442-7916 | Email:sales@velocitymotoring.com | URL: www.velocitymotoring.com | VMR Facebook!! | VMR Photoshoots!

VMR Collection >> V701 | V710 | V713 | V715 | V718 | VB3 19x10
Peter@VMRWheels is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-26-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
M3SQRD
Colonel
 
M3SQRD's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3s, R56 Cooper S
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

Posts: 2,419
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapesta206 View Post
I've been reading up on some feedback on KW V3 and heard they have issues with chirping/squeak noise when going over bumps. Has anyone experienced this? How do you get rid of it? I just bought some KW and wanted to make sure I won't have this issue before installing it.
Do you know if it's a mechanical (i.e., metal-on-metal) or fluid sound? If it's a mechanical sound then adding a thrust sheet between the spring and perch may quiet things down.
M3SQRD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-26-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
tha_good_life
Brigadier General
 
tha_good_life's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 JzB E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seattle

Posts: 3,900
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes View Post
Do you know if it's a mechanical (i.e., metal-on-metal) or fluid sound? If it's a mechanical sound then adding a thrust sheet between the spring and perch may quiet things down.
That's what I heard. Has anyone tried this? I'm asking because I don't want to have the same issues when installed.
tha_good_life is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-26-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
M3SQRD
Colonel
 
M3SQRD's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3s, R56 Cooper S
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

Posts: 2,419
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapesta206 View Post
That's what I heard. Has anyone tried this? I'm asking because I don't want to have the same issues when installed.
I don't know if this will work on the KW V3s because I don't know what's causing the noise but the TCK D/A setup made a lot of mechanical noise until they started using thrust sheets. Thrust sheets are not expensive, nor do they increase the effective length of the spring stack by much, so they might be worth a try.
M3SQRD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-26-2012, 03:25 PM   #6
tha_good_life
Brigadier General
 
tha_good_life's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 JzB E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seattle

Posts: 3,900
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes View Post
I don't know if this will work on the KW V3s because I don't know what's causing the noise but the TCK D/A setup made a lot of mechanical noise until they started using thrust sheets. Thrust sheets are not expensive, nor do they increase the effective length of the spring stack by much, so they might be worth a try.
What is a thrust sheet?
tha_good_life is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
M3SQRD
Colonel
 
M3SQRD's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3s, R56 Cooper S
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

Posts: 2,419
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapesta206 View Post
What is a thrust sheet?
http://www.swiftsprings.net/products..._products.html
M3SQRD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-26-2012, 03:45 PM   #8
tha_good_life
Brigadier General
 
tha_good_life's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 JzB E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seattle

Posts: 3,900
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes View Post
I found the same site.

Any other inputs on this concern before I put them install them?
tha_good_life is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #9
M3SQRD
Colonel
 
M3SQRD's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3s, R56 Cooper S
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

Posts: 2,419
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapesta206 View Post
I found the same site.

Any other inputs on this concern before I put them install them?
You could try contacting Harold at HP Autowerks (forum vendor) - he's a KW dealer, and sells thrust sheets and quick-change rear spring setups.
M3SQRD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:50 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST