BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

ESS Tuning

02-24-2012, 02:29 PM   #1
Potemkin

Drives: M3 coupe, jet black, manual

Oil change not required until 20k

I bought a used 08 from an authorised BMW dealer six months ago with 13k on the clock. It was sold as FSH, and had just the run-in service in the log book. I recently hit 20k miles, and as the oil change service indicator showed March 2012, I thought I'd get the second oil change service done now, a few weeks early.

My local BMW dealership checked the car and said it needed new diff oil, new sparks. I queried this as the manual says this is only required on the third oil change, not the second. Dealer said a scan of the car showed these needed replacing at this oil change. They gave me the option of changing transmission oil too, but said I could wait if I wished.

I am looking for some advice from others on a couple of questions

1) has anyone else had their second oil change come up at such high mileage? I thought 15k was more common. I don't thrash the car.

2) is the dealer correct that sparks and diff oil may need to be changed at second oil service? This is contrary to the manual.

3) should I get the transmission oil changed now? I'd rather not spend the money if not required, as total service charge (inc some other minor items) is around $1,700 already.

Thanks
      02-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #2
stefan
Colonel

Drives: E92M3

Garage List
1999 VF BMW M3  [5.00]
2008 135i  [5.00]
2003 M3  [3.10]
2011.75 BMW M3  [4.17]
2009 STi  [3.83]
I have always found this insane. Mine is coming up in 25,000km. LOL. I'll be doing mine every 5,000km. It's cheap and it's an $80K car.
      02-24-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 6|Ridge 1:54:61|Pacific 1:35:72

Drives: Race car->

i dont know about in the uk but the first oil change is at 1200 miles so the second should be around 10 and 20 so its probably the 2nd not counting the break in service.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings & bearings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW race|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
1MOREMOD is offline   United_States
      02-24-2012, 02:37 PM   #4
shendrick
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 08 e90 M3, 05 e46 zhp, 07 X3

Do the engine oil change - but if the diff was done at 1,200 miles - no need to do it now. Plugs are at about 100K miles as per the book. Dealer is just trying to take you for a ride. Unfortunate unless dealer has proof that diff and plugs are needed.
shendrick is offline   United_States
      02-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 6|Ridge 1:54:61|Pacific 1:35:72

Drives: Race car->

mine is getting plugs and rear diff fluid under warranty at 20k miles so why not its free to you?

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings & bearings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW race|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
1MOREMOD is offline   United_States
      02-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #6
Potemkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh
mine is getting plugs and rear diff fluid under warranty at 20k miles so why not its free to you?
Car now out of warranty - December 2007 model.
      02-24-2012, 03:09 PM   #7
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General

Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)

Garage List
There are two areas actually helpful on this maintenance subject.

The First;

This BMW Link, enter your car detail and you end up with a great road map for service.

To open this link ---> Just Click Here

The Second one;

You can open a PDF file on the Internet if you GOOGLE "Mike Miller" he has written this PDF file and keeps updating it. The file contains a weath of information from Mike Miller who is associated with BMWCCA.

If you send Mike an email, you can get a copy of his latest Old School Maintenance Schedule, it would be a latest update of his PDF file. He does not like it to be linked to since he updates it from time to time.

His email is auspuf2002@aol.com

How often you change your oil is all depending on the age of your car (under warranty or not) most important, how long you intend to keep your car.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Mr. ///M3 RD is offline   Canada
      02-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #8
Potemkin

Second service including break-in

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
i dont know about in the uk but the first oil change is at 1200 miles so the second should be around 10 and 20 so its probably the 2nd not counting the break in service.
This is the second service including the break-in. When I bought the car (13k miles, July 2011), I got the dealer to check if a service was required, and they confirmed not until March 2012.
      02-24-2012, 03:59 PM   #9
Potemkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter Peter View Post
There are two areas actually helpful on this maintenance subject.

The First;

This BMW Link, enter your car detail and you end up with a great road map for service.

To open this link ---> Just Click Here

The Second one;

You can open a PDF file on the Internet if you GOOGLE "Mike Miller" he has written this PDF file and keeps updating it. The file contains a weath of information from Mike Miller who is associated with BMWCCA.

If you send Mike an email, you can get a copy of his latest Old School Maintenance Schedule, it would be a latest update of his PDF file. He does not like it to be linked to since he updates it from time to time.

His email is auspuf2002@aol.com

How often you change your oil is all depending on the age of your car (under warranty or not) most important, how long you intend to keep your car.
Thanks - this is great information. I've asked the dealership to provide a Condition Based Service readout that shows the diff oil and sparks needing replacing at 20k miles. I was also a bit confused about the dealer's comment that the CBS shows the status of the sparks, as the manual says that sparks are not show by the CBS.
      02-25-2012, 10:22 PM   #10
Dannys M3
Captain

Drives: Space Grey E92 M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shendrick View Post
Do the engine oil change - but if the diff was done at 1,200 miles - no need to do it now. Plugs are at about 100K miles as per the book. Dealer is just trying to take you for a ride. Unfortunate unless dealer has proof that diff and plugs are needed.
Incorrect the replacement per the book is 37,000 miles.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=404664
Dannys M3 is offline   United_States