BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-24-2012, 02:28 PM   #23
persian54
Lieutenant General
 
persian54's Avatar
 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

Posts: 15,722
iTrader: (288)

I like MDM

I turn DSC off a couple times here and there, but I tend to back off with it off.

When I have MDM on, it doesn't always get in my way, but there are times that it does

One thing that I've done recently is turn DSC off, and if I feel uncomfortable while out, I just push the M button on the steering wheel and MDM comes back
persian54 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2012, 02:37 PM   #24
yyoo
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 DCT
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California

Posts: 191
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
I like MDM

I turn DSC off a couple times here and there, but I tend to back off with it off.

When I have MDM on, it doesn't always get in my way, but there are times that it does

One thing that I've done recently is turn DSC off, and if I feel uncomfortable while out, I just push the M button on the steering wheel and MDM comes back
If DSC helped me drive upside down, I'd probably use it too.

Edit: What happened to your sig? I liked it!
yyoo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #25
persian54
Lieutenant General
 
persian54's Avatar
 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

Posts: 15,722
iTrader: (288)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyoo View Post
If DSC helped me drive upside down, I'd probably use it too.

Edit: What happened to your sig? I liked it!
I edited it. should be back now

My friend sent me a revised version
persian54 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2012, 02:47 PM   #26
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 6|Ridge 1:54:61|Pacific 1:35:72
 
1MOREMOD's Avatar
 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

Posts: 11,607
iTrader: (5)

i recommend mdm until you get to the point that you are good enough to notice it intervene and actually prevent you from doing what you intend rather than help.
__________________

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings & bearings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW race|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
1MOREMOD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2012, 03:09 PM   #27
CanAutM3
Brigadier General
 
CanAutM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 (2015 M4 on order)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal

Posts: 3,412
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2006 Audi S4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by r53s65e90 View Post
I am relying on the hazard triangle to come on. MDM does not blink. Since I was deliberately doing an experiment on tracks I am very comfortable with, I was paying attention to the light. Peripheral vision can pick it up easily.
I would not rely on the blinking light for MDM/DSC intervention. In my experience MDM/DSC can do quick corrections without having the warning light flash in the cluster. It is more active than we might think.

Most of the time you can actually feel the intervention in the car's behavior, like a very slight power drop or a slight tug to one side.

Usually when you get the light to flash, it's a big "whoaaa there" intervention.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 02-24-2012 at 03:26 PM.
CanAutM3 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2012, 03:16 PM   #28
yyoo
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 DCT
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California

Posts: 191
iTrader: (0)

These responses make me ever more curious about using MDM at the track. I will definitely have to try it for a session at my next event and see how intrusive it is or isn't and how it affects my lap times. As I've posted elsewhere, I once left DSC on by mistake at Laguna Seca in my old 330i and my lap times suffered by 5 whopping seconds. Anyone know how MDM affects your lap times?
yyoo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #29
wwjd15
Banned
 
Drives: 11 E92 M3 MR
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Orange County

Posts: 1,322
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyoo View Post
These responses make me ever more curious about using MDM at the track. I will definitely have to try it for a session at my next event and see how intrusive it is or isn't and how it affects my lap times. As I've posted elsewhere, I once left DSC on by mistake at Laguna Seca in my old 330i and my lap times suffered by 5 whopping seconds. Anyone know how MDM affects your lap times?
You can't power out and you won't get your line when cornering. These are the only 2 downsides.
wwjd15 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2012, 04:46 PM   #30
r53s65e90
8300
 
r53s65e90's Avatar
 
Drives: r53 s65e90
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Jose, CA

Posts: 528
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I would not rely on the blinking light for MDM/DSC intervention. In my experience MDM/DSC can do quick corrections without having the warning light flash in the cluster. It is more active than we might think...
Could be. I would really like to find documented verification of this somewhere: What exactly does it mean when the warning light flashes?

It definitely takes much longer for the warning light to start flashing in MDM mode than in normal DSC mode. This is why I assume that when the light flashes controls are ON and when the light is OFF controls are not interfering.

Anyway, when I got the car new MDM was peace of mind. Slowly and carefully I have made the transition to DSC off completely. Now I don't use MDM except when it rains (= rarely).
r53s65e90 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2012, 05:04 PM   #31
LiM3y
Major
 
LiM3y's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT

Posts: 1,196
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyoo View Post
These responses make me ever more curious about using MDM at the track. I will definitely have to try it for a session at my next event and see how intrusive it is or isn't and how it affects my lap times. As I've posted elsewhere, I once left DSC on by mistake at Laguna Seca in my old 330i and my lap times suffered by 5 whopping seconds. Anyone know how MDM affects your lap times?
So, if I follow your posts, you are dismissing DSC-MDM without ever trying it?

MDM does bog you down on exit when you are squeezing on the gas with still some lateral load. MDM's traction circle is significantly smaller than what the tires will allow for sure. My goal this year is to ween myself off the nannies.
__________________
LiM3y is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2012, 05:06 PM   #32
LiM3y
Major
 
LiM3y's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT

Posts: 1,196
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I would not rely on the blinking light for MDM/DSC intervention. In my experience MDM/DSC can do quick corrections without having the warning light flash in the cluster. It is more active than we might think.

Most of the time you can actually feel the intervention in the car's behavior, like a very slight power drop or a slight tug to one side.

Usually when you get the light to flash, it's a big "whoaaa there" intervention.
i.e. The Uphill at Lime Rock when the wheels unweight!
__________________
LiM3y is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #33
bigjae1976
Takes threads off topic...daily
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 5,218
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
i recommend mdm until you get to the point that you are good enough to notice it intervene and actually prevent you from doing what you intend rather than help.
This. I kept DSC on in my 330 until it got in the way. It did save me a couple of times...I knew I screwed up and didn't have to spin the car to know it. More importantly, cars behind me didn't have to know I screwed up as I spin on the track.

I'm at the point where it really gets in the way. Most times, I forget to turn it off until it intervenes. I don't think the intervention is ever subtle...you can always feel it. Not sure about MDM but it has let me get quite sideways 3 times. Once at the 'ring and twice on a slippery bridge near my house.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
bigjae1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #34
klammer
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 07 X5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: chicago

Posts: 3,219
iTrader: (0)

Well, since I'm relatively new at all this and it's also my wife's DD I run with MDM on at the track. I notice very little intervention, usually only on slow speed corners where it won't let me rotate the car. For me, the challenge is to be smooth enough to where MDM doesn't kick in and I find this to be a good compromise between lunacy and sanity at the track, for now. That being said, I used to track bikes and truly understand the point of smooth is fast, but don't really care about dropping a $6k bike vs. my baby so think I will still ease into things. Just giving my personal thoughts, as always, to each his own
__________________
mods: akra evo, dinan 3.45 diff, ess akra tune, dinan stg.3, Alcon bbk, HRE P40
klammer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2012, 08:23 PM   #35
quads
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: bac mono
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: racetrack

Posts: 1,643
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
...I don't think the intervention is ever subtle...you can always feel it. Not sure about MDM but it has let me get quite sideways 3 times. Once at the 'ring and twice on a slippery bridge near my house.
Actually DSC intervenes in different stages.... it's not just on and off. I've noticed the dsc light flashlight when I'm near the edge. If I keep pushing it or if the current dsc isn't effective it will escalate. Mdm has higher thresholds. Sometimes when I'm driving just at threshold of triggering it I notice the dsc light turns on but I don't feel it kick in - if I didn't notice the light I may not have known that dsc is working. One day I may try to add a buzzer or some audible feedback to the dsc light just for fun.
quads is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2012, 09:09 PM   #36
CanAutM3
Brigadier General
 
CanAutM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 (2015 M4 on order)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal

Posts: 3,412
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2006 Audi S4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sevens.com View Post
Actually DSC intervenes in different stages.... it's not just on and off. I've noticed the dsc light flashlight when I'm near the edge. If I keep pushing it or if the current dsc isn't effective it will escalate. Mdm has higher thresholds. Sometimes when I'm driving just at threshold of triggering it I notice the dsc light turns on but I don't feel it kick in - if I didn't notice the light I may not have known that dsc is working. One day I may try to add a buzzer or some audible feedback to the dsc light just for fun.
Interesting, for me it is the other way around: I feel it intervening, but do not see the light flashing. Maybe a model year or ZCP thing?
CanAutM3 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2012, 10:51 PM   #37
MaxL
Captain
 
Drives: E90 M3, Cayenne T, 991 GT3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bay Area

Posts: 933
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I would not rely on the blinking light for MDM/DSC intervention. In my experience MDM/DSC can do quick corrections without having the warning light flash in the cluster. It is more active than we might think.

Most of the time you can actually feel the intervention in the car's behavior, like a very slight power drop or a slight tug to one side.

Usually when you get the light to flash, it's a big "whoaaa there" intervention.
It can be really different - if you know the Mosport track, MDM always flashes like crazy for me in Turn 2 after 2nd apex (fast downhill sweeper). With it off I just drift a bit more out towards curb - not even rotation - so pretty pointless intervention. In contrast, in Turn 5B (hairpin exit) it allows decent rotation without intervening and sometimes stops it without blinking. It seems to me that it allows much more slip at lower speeds or has it's own weird logic.

Anyway, I'm still happy it's there.
MaxL is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2012, 10:58 PM   #38
MaxL
Captain
 
Drives: E90 M3, Cayenne T, 991 GT3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bay Area

Posts: 933
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
The Corvette's "Comp "Mode"is just like our MDM and way too intrusive if you want to work the car on its limit.I used to have a Z06 & a C6 so I have experianced this on those cars.MDM is just about useless with a square setup as it impedes power delivery with the mildest of slip angles.
Based on Steve's description I thought it was not as intrusive as MDM. Well, I guess there is just no way to push a car to the limit and have zero risk...
MaxL is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2012, 11:30 PM   #39
yyoo
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 DCT
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California

Posts: 191
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiM3y View Post
So, if I follow your posts, you are dismissing DSC-MDM without ever trying it?

MDM does bog you down on exit when you are squeezing on the gas with still some lateral load. MDM's traction circle is significantly smaller than what the tires will allow for sure. My goal this year is to ween myself off the nannies.
I use MDM on the street because you can never predict street conditions, but normally don't drive anywhere near the limits of the M3 on the street.

One of the big reasons I go to the track is to drive the car near its limits and improve my car control skills. So MDM/DSC would be counterproductive. I am though curious to see how it affects lap times.
yyoo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-25-2012, 12:17 AM   #40
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 335is(wifes)E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,676
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxL View Post
Based on Steve's description I thought it was not as intrusive as MDM. Well, I guess there is just no way to push a car to the limit and have zero risk...
I have driven Steves car quite a bit and with 560 RWHP it really shows how intrusive these MDM type systems are especially in corners where the car goes light like corner 3 at Mosport.If you run with these systems on you will ever learn proper throttle control on a more powerful car which is critical if you want to get the maximum out of your higher powered rwd car.
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-25-2012, 12:18 AM   #41
CanAutM3
Brigadier General
 
CanAutM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 (2015 M4 on order)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal

Posts: 3,412
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2006 Audi S4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxL View Post
It can be really different - if you know the Mosport track, MDM always flashes like crazy for me in Turn 2 after 2nd apex (fast downhill sweeper). With it off I just drift a bit more out towards curb - not even rotation - so pretty pointless intervention. In contrast, in Turn 5B (hairpin exit) it allows decent rotation without intervening and sometimes stops it without blinking. It seems to me that it allows much more slip at lower speeds or has it's own weird logic.

Anyway, I'm still happy it's there.
I see what you mean. I have experienced the same thing at Tremblant. In Turns 1 and 2 that are fast downhill uphill downhill sweepers, the DSC light flickers pretty much non-stop in MDM mode. However I do feel that the car is holding back on power, I don't seem to have as much control with my right foot. With DSC off I feel I can better position the car on a more precise line by modulating the throttle.

BTW, it has been quite a few years since I have driven Mosport. Great track! Gotta love that Turn 2! We are planning to go there this September. Looking forward to it .
CanAutM3 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-25-2012, 12:19 AM   #42
bigjae1976
Takes threads off topic...daily
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 5,218
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sevens.com View Post
Actually DSC intervenes in different stages.... it's not just on and off. I've noticed the dsc light flashlight when I'm near the edge. If I keep pushing it or if the current dsc isn't effective it will escalate. Mdm has higher thresholds. Sometimes when I'm driving just at threshold of triggering it I notice the dsc light turns on but I don't feel it kick in - if I didn't notice the light I may not have known that dsc is working. One day I may try to add a buzzer or some audible feedback to the dsc light just for fun.
I've noticed that on my 330. The light will come on but you won't feel the throttle being cut or the ABS kicking in. I wonder if its just putting DSC in ready mode? Like...ready to save your bacon mode?
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
bigjae1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-25-2012, 12:30 AM   #43
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 335is(wifes)E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,676
iTrader: (0)

This video really shows the MDM(Comp) mode on the Vette engaging quite a bit in the video compared has to my M3 which has all the nannies turned off.The Vette has 560 RWHP.


Last edited by Gearhead999s; 02-25-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-25-2012, 08:50 AM   #44
Brainofjjj
Astronaut
 
Drives: car
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dallas - Preston Hollow

Posts: 638
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2012 BMW X5d  [0.00]
2003 BMW M3  [0.00]
1970 240Z  [0.00]
Looks almost like a karting track.

Back OT: I do not like to use DSC because you can't rotate the car, period. MDM allows for some (ZCP) and is a great middle ground.
I only go DSC OFF if i bought track insurance for that weekend

I don't have enough scratch right now to write this car off if totaled or even moderately damaged.

Bottom line: If you ask about using DSC then you need to use it.
__________________
Current: SBM X5d, Jet Black E46 M3, Black FJ Cruiser, 1970 240Z
Former: '11 MCB E90 M3, 2011 Lotus Exige, 2003 350Z, 2002 WRX, 1996 Supra turbo, 1984 320i, 1987 E28 M5
Brainofjjj is offline   Bahamas
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST