BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
Strasse Wheels
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #23
lenzm3edan
First Pride
lenzm3edan's Avatar
22
Rep
1,411
Posts

 
Drives: E90, Mercedes C300, subi
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut..

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
$112k is very expensive. Honestly, I would rather pick up a pre-owned 997S or one off the clearance lot at the local dealership.
same here or preowned 997 turbo; better resale value later down the road.
__________________
ESS VT-2 595 silverstone E90 /// M3 - 6spd - AD08 - Spacers - H&R - AA exhaust - Primary cat delete - Custom test pipes - ESS tune - Lighted ZHP.

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 01:03 PM   #24
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
117
Rep
8,517
Posts

 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
You say that, but 991S is as fast as a 997.2 GT3 around a track, and almost as fast as a 997.1(.2?) Turbo in 1/4 mile.. Also 997 interior will look very out dated compared to what 991 is offering. So you get a lot for your money.

On the other hand, I'd rather have a 993 C2S
yeah, i agree that the 991 performance is on par with the 997's of higher model range, and that the 991 is a better car. The problem with all cars is, there's also going to be a faster, better model out. It's difficult to be content. Personally, I would be happy with a 997.1 C4S or 997.1 Turbo and call it a day. lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 01:12 PM   #25
alms211
Banned
9
Rep
746
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: MD

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
yeah, i agree that the 991 performance is on par with the 997's of higher model range, and that the 991 is a better car. The problem with all cars is, there's also going to be a faster, better model out. It's difficult to be content. Personally, I would be happy with a 997.1 C4S or 997.1 Turbo and call it a day. lol.


The moment I can get in a 997.1 Turbo for $65K with reasonable miles, I'm there.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 01:48 PM   #26
rick berry
Second Lieutenant
3
Rep
244
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 DCT/ 2014 750li
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: marshall texas

iTrader: (0)

991 has now moved upscale to a level where it is now not a direct competitor to an M3.
I can't justify paying @ $120th. For that money several lightly used exotics might make more sense. M3 is just a great car overall for the money.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 01:51 PM   #27
Erhan
Colonel
Erhan's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
2,466
Posts

 
Drives: Cooper S
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick berry View Post
991 has now moved upscale to a level where it is now not a direct competitor to an M3.
I can't justify paying @ $120th. For that money several lightly used exotics might make more sense. M3 is just a great car overall for the money.
Yes but those used exotics will brake down, cost a fortune to keep up even if they don't brake up. Chances are 991 is bullet proof.
__________________
2011 MINI Cooper S
previous cars: E92 M3, Z4MC, Z4 Roadster, E36 328 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 02:29 PM   #28
alms211
Banned
9
Rep
746
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: MD

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
Yes but those used exotics will brake down, cost a fortune to keep up even if they don't brake up. Chances are 991 is bullet proof.
Much truth to this. Just wait 18 months and pick one up for $75-80K. I love Porsche but refuse to pay the asking price for new ones. They are about 20-25% overpriced IMO. Only one I bought brand new was in '06 for my former CaymanS. Did pretty well on resale.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 02:51 PM   #29
Nine
Banned
29
Rep
1,925
Posts

 
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.
Join Date: May 2010
Location: DC, Miami, NYC

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alms211 View Post
Much truth to this. Just wait 18 months and pick one up for $75-80K. I love Porsche but refuse to pay the asking price for new ones. They are about 20-25% overpriced IMO. Only one I bought brand new was in '06 for my former CaymanS. Did pretty well on resale.

How long until a Turbo S becomes 80k
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 02:58 PM   #30
alms211
Banned
9
Rep
746
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: MD

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
How long until a Turbo S becomes 80k
Oh my.....long time I presume. My guess is 2018

I don't need the S......a 997.1 with a $1,200 tune will get you 600 crank HP.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 04:27 PM   #31
Nine
Banned
29
Rep
1,925
Posts

 
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.
Join Date: May 2010
Location: DC, Miami, NYC

iTrader: (2)

How does a 991 Carrera S compare to a 997 GTS? I know people have been throwing around that the 991 Carrera S is faster than a GT3, which I'm having a hard time undersatnding, my thought was that it would in a way equate to a GTS model's performance...

But then again, I'm a porsche noob.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 04:40 PM   #32
Erhan
Colonel
Erhan's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
2,466
Posts

 
Drives: Cooper S
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alms211 View Post
Just wait 18 months and pick one up for $75-80K. I love Porsche but refuse to pay the asking price for new ones. They are about 20-25% overpriced IMO.
Agreed. Although, I wouldn't call 991 overpriced. I'm guessing the F3x M3/4 will be $85-90k optioned. So, $90k for M3 vs $110k for a 991S...
__________________
2011 MINI Cooper S
previous cars: E92 M3, Z4MC, Z4 Roadster, E36 328 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 04:44 PM   #33
konaforever
Second Lieutenant
United_States
2
Rep
234
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 Red GTR
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
Agreed. Although, I wouldn't call 991 overpriced. I'm guessing the F3x M3/4 will be $85-90k optioned. So, $90k for M3 vs $110k for a 991S...
Need to add options to the 991S too!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 04:49 PM   #34
Erhan
Colonel
Erhan's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
2,466
Posts

 
Drives: Cooper S
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaforever View Post
Need to add options to the 991S too!
Base 991S is $96.4k, so I left some margin for options. Sure make it $120k if you want. My point is, people here are comparing 991S to E9X M3. Hence, the massive gap. Compare it to F3X M3, which I'm speculating to be $85-90k, it is not that bad.
__________________
2011 MINI Cooper S
previous cars: E92 M3, Z4MC, Z4 Roadster, E36 328 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 05:17 PM   #35
alms211
Banned
9
Rep
746
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: MD

iTrader: (1)

It will be a colossal mistake if BMW puts the F3X M3/M4 at $85K+
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 05:22 PM   #36
Erhan
Colonel
Erhan's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
2,466
Posts

 
Drives: Cooper S
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alms211 View Post
It will be a colossal mistake if BMW puts the F3X M3/M4 at $85K+
Not base price, but with options. Currently, $60k base E92 becomes $75k easily with options. So F3X $85k is possible. Also, since BMW will call the coupe M4, I'm pretty sure they'll charge couple grand extra, hence $90k.
__________________
2011 MINI Cooper S
previous cars: E92 M3, Z4MC, Z4 Roadster, E36 328 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 06:29 PM   #37
alms211
Banned
9
Rep
746
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: MD

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
Not base price, but with options. Currently, $60k base E92 becomes $75k easily with options. So F3X $85k is possible. Also, since BMW will call the coupe M4, I'm pretty sure they'll charge couple grand extra, hence $90k.
I'm just glad I don't need the latest and greatest. I'll let someone else take the up front hit and I'll just come in 18-24 months later.

Much like the 997.1 Turbo ---- my guess is I will be able to pick one of those up around September
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 06:36 PM   #38
Dave07997S
Colonel
37
Rep
2,555
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Playa del Rey, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alms211 View Post
Much truth to this. Just wait 18 months and pick one up for $75-80K. I love Porsche but refuse to pay the asking price for new ones. They are about 20-25% overpriced IMO. Only one I bought brand new was in '06 for my former CaymanS. Did pretty well on resale.
Agreed, after I bought my 07 997S new I was shocked I saw 05 997Ss that only had 4kmiles on them yet they were 3 yr. old cars and they were more optioned than mine and were $25k cheaper.

I lease though, and its hard to get a good lease deal on used vehicles.

Dave
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 06:49 PM   #39
Dave07997S
Colonel
37
Rep
2,555
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Playa del Rey, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
Not base price, but with options. Currently, $60k base E92 becomes $75k easily with options. So F3X $85k is possible. Also, since BMW will call the coupe M4, I'm pretty sure they'll charge couple grand extra, hence $90k.
I personally don't feel the BMW M3/M4 will be that high. You can option a E92 M3 with decent amount of options and still stay under $70K. Maybe $75K for a decently optioned F3X M3/M4. Still quite a bit less than a fully loaded 991S. I saw some guys on 6speedonline and some of their 991Ss are going for $140K!! I would just order a 991S coupe with 7MT, sport PASM and thats pretty much about it. Funny thing is people who order up their PCars only get 15-20cents on the dollar for options. I learned a long time ago you order options on the PCar at your peril...you don't get anything back.

I pray they don't name the M3 coupe the M4..I hear M4 I think of this...
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 07:07 PM   #40
Erhan
Colonel
Erhan's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
2,466
Posts

 
Drives: Cooper S
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alms211 View Post
I'm just glad I don't need the latest and greatest. I'll let someone else take the up front hit and I'll just come in 18-24 months later.

Much like the 997.1 Turbo ---- my guess is I will be able to pick one of those up around September
Do post pics when you get it!
__________________
2011 MINI Cooper S
previous cars: E92 M3, Z4MC, Z4 Roadster, E36 328 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #41
clar
Major
clar's Avatar
Singapore
26
Rep
1,034
Posts

 
Drives: M5
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Singapore

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alms211 View Post
Much truth to this. Just wait 18 months and pick one up for $75-80K. I love Porsche but refuse to pay the asking price for new ones. They are about 20-25% overpriced IMO. Only one I bought brand new was in '06 for my former CaymanS. Did pretty well on resale.
Totally agree! Saw the 991 at a local launch event. Judging by the size of the crowd, i swear it was the launch of the latest Toyota Corolla if i hadn't know better Anyway, the new 991 is indeed more desirable, but way overpriced. I feel it doesn't give me enough of it to be worth jumping over from the M3 when buying new. Maybe the new Cayman S wouldn't hurt the wallet this much...
__________________

- Frozen Grey F10 M5 DCT
- Rosso Corsa 458 Speciale
- Frozen Grey E92 M3 Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #42
gblansten
Beandoc
gblansten's Avatar
United_States
29
Rep
2,244
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 SG/SS
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Thick ascending limb

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
Yes but those used exotics will brake down, cost a fortune to keep up even if they don't brake up. Chances are 991 is bullet proof.
If they didn't brake down then you would likely run off the road or hit something.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 08:24 PM   #43
alms211
Banned
9
Rep
746
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: MD

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post
Totally agree! Saw the 991 at a local launch event. Judging by the size of the crowd, i swear it was the launch of the latest Toyota Corolla if i hadn't know better Anyway, the new 991 is indeed more desirable, but way overpriced. I feel it doesn't give me enough of it to be worth jumping over from the M3 when buying new. Maybe the new Cayman S wouldn't hurt the wallet this much...
I am anxiously awaiting the new CaymanS. If it looks like it should -- a hardtop Boxster -- it will be gorgeous. I absolutely love the new design of the Boxster.

I actually really like the looks of the new 991....a damn shame it is sooo much more expensive than the 997s were.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 08:29 PM   #44
alms211
Banned
9
Rep
746
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: MD

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
Do post pics when you get it!
Sure will
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST